Trae Young moves

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,969

Re: Trae Young moves 

Post#181 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:59 pm

esvl wrote:Topic would be a good fit next to Wemby and SAS will retain its cap and assets flexibility. SAS needs to follow OKC’s plan. Topic, Vassel, Sochan, Wemby will have 2-3 years to grow together, and SAS will be able to draft a couple of elite wings before they start rolling.

Trae is ready and wants to compete now. Neither SAS nor Wemby are ready.

Wemby is ready. He is a Top 5 defensive player in the NBA and likely Top 30-ish already as a rookie.

My guess is he is a Top 15-ish guy next year and MVP Candidate in 2 years.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,213

Post#182 » by Slim Charless » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:04 am

Saul Goodman wrote:Trae to the Spurs is a basketball dream. That would vault wemby and the spurs into the playoffs next season.

Trae wemby vassell picks and a bunch of cap room and sky is the limit

It's a "pipe dream"

Atlanta shouldn't even consider it for just getting their own picks back.

I'd need either Vassel and a swap (#3 for #18) OR both Sochan plus the #3 straight up. In addition to all my picks back
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 381

Post#183 » by esvl » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:05 am

Colbinii wrote:
esvl wrote:Topic would be a good fit next to Wemby and SAS will retain its cap and assets flexibility. SAS needs to follow OKC’s plan. Topic, Vassel, Sochan, Wemby will have 2-3 years to grow together, and SAS will be able to draft a couple of elite wings before they start rolling.

Wemby is ready. He is a Top 5 defensive player in the NBA and likely Top 30-ish already as a rookie.

He is still a kid. I would give him a couple years to mature. PO battles is quite a pressure. His window will be open for the next 12-15 years anyway.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#184 » by esvl » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:08 am

drosestruts wrote:
esvl wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Trae paired with Wemby just seems like a "if you build it they will come" situation. I don't think the Spurs should be overly concerned about "overpaying" for Young.

I'd also get crazy if I were Memphis and explore a Morant for Young swap. JJJ and Young would similarly be a great pick and roll/pop combination and Memphis already has other complimentary pieces like Smart and Bane in place ready to go and it moves them on from the Morant saga.

… except JJJ doesn’t play PNR and Ja >> Trae

Player A: 25 points, 9.5 assists, 3.6 rebounds, 58% TS%, 17.4 VORP, .13 WS/48, 22 PER

Player B: 22.5 points, 7.5 assists, 5 rebounds, 56% TS%, 10 VORP, .12 WS/48, 20.5 PER

Give you a little hint - the guy who plays for the team you like is the one with the worst stats.

Both are very very good players, and the margins may be slim, and maybe you have stylistic preferences. But I'd argue Trae is slightly better.

I can argue whatever you want. It wouldn’t make Trae even one inch closer to Ja.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,969

Post#185 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:13 am

esvl wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

He is still a kid. I would give him a couple years to mature. PO battles is quite a pressure. His window will be open for the next 12-15 years anyway.

Might as well start it now though. The best learning is actually playing in meaningful games.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#186 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:25 am

jayu70 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

that's more than a tad light. At this point I consider Ivey and Grimes to be no value throw ins. so you're trading Trae for just the #2 pick in the weak draft coming up? Horrible value. You're missing about 3-4 FRPs and that is not an exaggeration.

Idk....I kinda like the basis of it. I'm of the feeling that moving Trae to the Spurs is something of a slap in the face to Atlanta to just get my picks back. Unless they get more, they should move him to a team that can offer better assets.

I'd like that alot more than SAS giving me my picks back, plus some random

Thank you.
SAS moves unto their next dynasty building while Atlanta is in 'looking for their next star mode for the next 15 years'
No Thanks.
[color=#FF0040]Hawks need to forget those picks and do the hard work required to build the team. Exercise a little patience and the owner and his son needs to stop meddling[/color].

Hard for the owner and his son to stop meddling when they are fully calling the shots. You know that they haven't given the keys to yes sir man Fields
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#187 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 am

You have to put the best young players in the best position to win asap. Even with very good moves it takes 2 or 3 years to build a real contender around a top player. If your plan is to sign low level FAs and build through the draft, the process can play out for more than 4, 5 years before you have any chance of building a real contender.

Every team that builds through the draft learns that sooner or later you have to consolidate and before you say OKC, they were lucky enough to get their consolidatation piece at the very beginning of their rebuild in SGA
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,970

Post#188 » by shakes0 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:29 pm

esvl wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Trae paired with Wemby just seems like a "if you build it they will come" situation. I don't think the Spurs should be overly concerned about "overpaying" for Young.

I'd also get crazy if I were Memphis and explore a Morant for Young swap. JJJ and Young would similarly be a great pick and roll/pop combination and Memphis already has other complimentary pieces like Smart and Bane in place ready to go and it moves them on from the Morant saga.

how is Ja better than Trae? Would love to see you attempt to back that up with stats, achievements or both.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#189 » by shakes0 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:32 pm

esvl wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
esvl wrote:

Player A: 25 points, 9.5 assists, 3.6 rebounds, 58% TS%, 17.4 VORP, .13 WS/48, 22 PER

Player B: 22.5 points, 7.5 assists, 5 rebounds, 56% TS%, 10 VORP, .12 WS/48, 20.5 PER

Give you a little hint - the guy who plays for the team you like is the one with the worst stats.

Both are very very good players, and the margins may be slim, and maybe you have stylistic preferences. But I'd argue Trae is slightly better.

I can argue whatever you want. It wouldn’t make Trae even one inch closer to Ja.

I don't know, but it sure sounds like you can't argue anything given your response.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#190 » by esvl » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:35 pm

shakes0 wrote:
esvl wrote:
drosestruts wrote:

I don't know, but it sure sounds like you can't argue anything given your response.

Go ask people around who would they pick for their team. That would give you an objective answer. You won’t like it though.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#191 » by shakes0 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:57 pm

esvl wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
esvl wrote:

Go ask people around who would they pick for their team. That would give you an objective answer. You won’t like it though.

:lol: :lol: I don't think you understand what the word "objective" means.

Trae is the most underrated super star in the league and is mostly hated at this site. I have no doubt what the posters here would say about that. Doesn't change the fact that neither you or anyone else can actually justify if with stats or achievement, you know, actual objective measures.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#192 » by esvl » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:28 pm

shakes0 wrote:
esvl wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

Trae is the most underrated super star in the league and is mostly hated at this site. I have no doubt what the posters here would say about that. Doesn't change the fact that neither you or anyone else can actually justify if with stats or achievement, you know, actual objective measures.

I fully appreciate Trae’s elite level. No disrespect or disregard on my end. You just don’t need to compare him to Ja. That’s it.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#193 » by shakes0 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:45 pm

esvl wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
esvl wrote:

I fully appreciate Trae’s elite level. No disrespect or disregard on my end. You just don’t need to compare him to Ja. That’s it.

I'm a big fan of Ja as well, but he's not as good as Trae and hasn't accomplished as much in his NBA career. I also didn't bring him up in this thread nor did I compare him to Trae. The latter was you.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#194 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:24 pm

again I think at some point we're splitting hairs. Both Trae and Morant are very very very good players.

If I had to choose one, I would choose Trae.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#195 » by esvl » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:23 pm

shakes0 wrote:
esvl wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

I'm a big fan of Ja as well, but he's not as good as Trae and hasn't accomplished as much in his NBA career. I also didn't bring him up in this thread nor did I compare him to Trae. The latter was you.

It was not me. Let’s stop here. The offered swap is laughable to Memphis’ fans which makes further discussions meaningless.
wemby
Senior
And1: 315

Post#196 » by wemby » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 am

Yet another example of Trae being trash when his team needs him the most. Reading his fans' valuations in this thread is comical.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#197 » by Slim Charless » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 am

wemby wrote:Yet another example of Trae being trash when his team needs him the most. Reading his fans' valuations in this thread is comical.

He's not "trash" but you guys should be calling up DET for Cade as opposed to ATL for Trae. Cade and your Frenchman would be a fantastic combo for the next 15+ years.

Even as a fan of another west team, I'd love to see those guys play together.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,769

Post#198 » by theBigLip » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 am

Slim Charless wrote:
wemby wrote:Yet another example of Trae being trash when his team needs him the most. Reading his fans' valuations in this thread is comical.

He's not "trash" but you guys should be calling up DET for Cade as opposed to ATL for Trae. Cade and your Frenchman would be a fantastic combo for the next 15+ years.

As a Pistons fan, I think I’d rather keep Cade, even if we have to max him out. I guess I’m another guy on these boards that think Trae is not worth his contract. Doesn’t mean he isn’t good, but Max good?
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#199 » by Slim Charless » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 am

theBigLip wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

As a Pistons fan, I think I’d rather keep Cade, even if we have to max him out. I guess I’m another guy on these boards that think Trae is not worth his contract. Doesn’t mean he isn’t good, but Max good?

That's fair.

If there's any hesitation with my purposed trade, I would expect it to come from the Pistons. Cade is legit. I was just saying that IF you guys made him available, then SAS should be going all out for him.
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#200 » by frozt » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:27 am

mg wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but what about some sort of AD for Trae deal? ATL would keep Dejounte to play with AD while also keeping JJ, Okongwu, Hunter, Bogey, and Bufkin. They would be competitive in the EC without taking a step back.

Lakers would have a youngish star to market after Lebron retires. They would also have 3 FRP's + other pieces such as Reaves to trade this summer to bring in better fitting support pieces. Trae, like AD, is also a Klutch client fwiw.

If the Lakers trade AD, who has much more value than Trey young does, they're going to send him to a team that's a piece away from a chip and has picks to spare. Seems like OKC is just the perfect trade partner if they go that route.
Resident band wagon vigilante.

Return to Trades and Transactions