Spend The 2024 Cap Space

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Spend The 2024 Cap Space 

Post#1 » by NYG » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:06 am

Cap Space Teams

Pistons $64.9 Million
Thunder $28.2 Million
Magic $43.2 Million
76ers $57.1 Million
Spurs $23.1 Million
Raptors $35.6 Million
Jazz $42.1 Million

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/?ref=trending-pages

How will these teams spend their cap space?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Re: Spend The 2024 Cap Space 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 am

ORL could be looking at offering Monk a starting role and starter’s salary. Personally, I don’t know if he’s got another gear, but I don’t see him leaving SAC without a significant opportunity and payday.

My preference would be trading Wendell Carter (and ?) and picks for Anfernee Simons and then throwing a $20m offer at Claxton.

More modest plan would be Tyus, GTJ, or Grayson…but each of those would likely have to be short-term overpays or descending deals as Franz, Suggs, and Paolo extensions coming soon and those guys aren’t big needle-movers, imo.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#3 » by Warriorfan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:38 pm

Not a real good free agency class.

Harden probably resigns LAC
Klay Thompson resigns with GS

Siakam may be in Play. I would target him if OKC.
With Bronny draft pick see if Lebron Keeps his word and joins young Thunder.

Evert other team I would help other teams with the luxury tax and take players for cap space.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,437

Post#4 » by Mavrelous » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:06 pm

Jazz will renegotioate and extend Markannen, that's their cap space plan.
76ers will end up operating over the cap IMO, extend Hield, Melton, Tobias and try to convince Batum to give it one more try.
Thunder are at 103 with 12 roster spots, 1 or 2 1st rd picks, they can have full max slot if they want, not sure who's their target though, Nic Claxton makes the most sense but he should be gettable at 20-25.
Pistons and Magic are going to make teams sweat, PG13, OG and Siakam are all targets and Monk (for the Magic).
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#5 » by Laimbeer » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:19 pm

Sixers draft Bronny at #20 and offer LeBron the max (maybe three years?)

I mean, are there any exciting prospects at 20? Is there a better free agent available?
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,437

Post#6 » by oldncreaky » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:30 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Jazz will renegotioate and extend Markannen, that's their cap space plan.
76ers will end up operating over the cap IMO, extend Hield, Melton, Tobias and try to convince Batum to give it one more try.
Thunder are at 103 with 12 roster spots, 1 or 2 1st rd picks, they can have full max slot if they want, not sure who's their target though, Nic Claxton makes the most sense but he should be gettable at 20-25.
Pistons and Magic are going to make teams sweat, PG13, OG and Siakam are all targets and Monk (for the Magic).

Pistons definitely are or should be interested in OG, but I don't think PG13 or Siakam as much. Also don't really see either PG13 or PS43 as realistic for Detroit, and OG is only realistic if NYK baulks at paying a full max.

If Jalen Smith a.k.a. Stix of the Pacers declines his PO, he will be highly coveted by both the Pistons and the Raptors, although Indy probably pays enough to retain him
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#7 » by vege » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:14 pm

Detroit will end up giving some really ugly contracts to tier C players.

No player with any other option would go to Detroit with this front office and this dysfunctional group of players.

Or we will trade for terrible players like LaVine or Collins.

PG13 Siakam and OG are not realistic targets at all, even Tobias and Miles Bridges might not be realistic targets.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:17 pm

Rough time to be a Piston fan.

I’m not even sure I see the talent there to do what the Rockets did last offseason. Who are our FVV/Brooks?

So sad I’m even asking that.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#9 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:20 pm

I’d imagine it isn’t as thrilling as we may hope. Most of the cap space teams fill out their rosters with role players or take in salary dumps for picks. Philly and maybe one of OKC/Orlando could get pretty intriguing.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#10 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:29 pm

A LOT of these guys are completely toast.

There's literally zero players that are a good fit for Detroit that they could reasonably sign. Absorbing Norman Powell and PJ Tucker in exchange for picks from the Clippers would be their best possible move. Maybe trade a second for De'Andre Hunter and hope you can turn him around? If the Pelicans want to cut costs, they're an interesting Brandon Ingram team. Jaden Ivey and another piece for Brandon Ingram is an interesting foundation of a trade that would save the Pels a lot of money.
Hoppy1
Rookie
And1: 294

Post#11 » by Hoppy1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:31 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Sixers draft Bronny at #20 and offer LeBron the max (maybe three years?)

I mean, are there any exciting prospects at 20? Is there a better free agent available?

I don't think you have to offer LBJ the max. IF he really wants to play with his son, you could easily low-ball him.
Team takes Bronny when they know the pick is a BPA but likely to help. Then you offer LBJ the chance to play with his son at a discounted rate that allows you still put players around them.
When you look for the bad in something, expecting to find it, you certainly will.
Hoppy1
Rookie

Post#12 » by Hoppy1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:43 pm

oldncreaky wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Jazz will renegotioate and extend Markannen, that's their cap space plan.

Pistons definitely are or should be interested in OG, but I don't think PG13 or Siakam as much. Also don't really see either PG13 or PS43 as realistic for Detroit, and OG is only realistic if NYK baulks at paying a full max.

If Jalen Smith a.k.a. Stix of the Pacers declines his PO, he will be highly coveted by both the Pistons and the Raptors, although Indy probably pays enough to retain him

Why would any player have Detroit on their short list other than money which can be had elsewhere.
When you look for the bad in something, expecting to find it, you certainly will.
Hoppy1
Rookie

Post#13 » by Hoppy1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:19 pm

OKC:
Offer Grayson Allen $12M 3 years
Nick Claxton $15M 3 years
Vet minimum to R. Westbrook
Together Thunder wins the offseason. Why? Neither is a superstar, but each plays a very key role in adding toughness, Allen as a shooter to space the floor. Claxton as a defender to let Holgren roam on offense and support on defense.
Neither takes the ball out of SGA's hands.
Bring back Westbrook to see the completion of the championship run.

Pistons $64.9 Million - Throw money at Miles Bridges, bring him home. Should be a team friendly deal considering his circumstances. Another team that could go after Monk. Figure both of them could be signed for around $30-35M combined, an overpay but otherwise Detroit is twisting in the wind. Still have enough to sign either a very good PF or center depending on their draft spot. If they get Sarr, that goes a long way to rebuild with FA signings

Magic $43.2 Million need better guards. Is there a trade out there because the free agent guards are blah. Maybe a play at Monk for low $teens.

76ers $57.1 Million Throw big numbers at OG. Need to trade for a guard running mate with Maxey.

Spurs $23.1 Million Need to decide who is playing which positions. Is it worth taking a look at Lonzo Ball?

Raptors $35.6 Million - Decide where Barnes is playing and fill the other forward spot. If he is going to float between PF/SF, find someone who can do the same - T. Harris.

Jazz $42.1 Million PG, SF or PF (depending on Markkanen plays). Draft Bronny James and get LBJ to join.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#14 » by Papi_swav » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:24 pm

Snakebites wrote:Rough time to be a Piston fan.

I’m not even sure I see the talent there to do what the Rockets did last offseason. Who are our FVV/Brooks?

you want Ben Simmons to use up some of that cap space?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#15 » by theBigLip » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:29 pm

Hoppy1 wrote:
oldncreaky wrote:

Why would any player have Detroit on their short list other than money which can be had elsewhere.

I think the money will dry up fast. Pistons got the largest bag - they will get some good players this offseason.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#16 » by Laimbeer » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:32 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

Weaver is reportedly interested in Tobias Harris, which is concerning.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#17 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:39 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Weaver is reportedly interested in Tobias Harris, which is concerning.

I don’t mind Tobias- but I probably mind him at what he’d cost us.

I dunno. Any Jerami Grants out there? And I don’t mean literally him- someone more like how Jerami was before we got him. A guy who has a smaller role now who might grow into a larger one and become an asset?

Thats probably my our best bet. There are no core pieces available in free agency. There might be some nice supporting guys.

It’s gonna be rough. There are other teams with cap space, plus a decent portion of these guys will re-up with their current teams.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,437

Post#18 » by Mavrelous » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:00 pm

oldncreaky wrote:

I don't know how unrealistic PG13 is, he's not looking too hot, and Clippers will need to make sacrifices, constantly operating over the 2nd Apron isn't a way to maintain a contender.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#19 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:26 pm

I really like Tobias for OKC but think PHI resigns him when they strike out on the very few better players in this FA class.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#20 » by pad300 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:37 pm

I could see SAS giving Tyus Jones some money. $60M/4years, maybe...

Return to Trades and Transactions