Spend The 2024 Cap Space

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: Spend The 2024 Cap Space 

Post#41 » by penbeast0 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:04 pm

I question whether Tyus would go to SA if there are equivalent offers even from a lesser organization like Orlando. His brother is their presumptive starting PG whose spot he would be taking. Assuming they are close, I'd avoid putting myself in that situation if I were him.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#42 » by orlando_joe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:29 pm

Skybox wrote:
giberish wrote:Portland apparently looks to be over the tax next year for a team that isn't a luxury roster. A Brogdon or Simons to Orlando deal where Orlando sends out little salary seems plausible.

Let's Gooooooo...Simons was meant to be here. Paolo & Franz have the potential to produce as many open kick out 3's as anybody in the league - and Simons can knock them down like Steph. ORL will even give POR Wendell Carter who is young, on a great deal, and can play next to Ayton (or instead of him) for TimeLord, who maybe can't play at all, to give further cap relief. Also, Cole Anthony, who's capable of being the spark plug off the bench that Simons is being way overpaid to be now for POR. Sharpe and Scoot are the future in POR.

POR sends: Anfernee Simons, Robert Williams
ORL sens: Wendell Carter, Cole Anthony, ORL 24 frp (assuming it's not top 5), DEN 25 frp, all of ORL's srps for eternity

*ORL maybe still has enough cap to go after Claxton (or just stick with Goga & M. Wagner). Carter is really good, but ORL can find an at least workable Center more easily than a young, athletic, elite shooter from the neighborhood. Upgrading backcourt is priority #1.

so you have magic paying simons and his no defense and games missing avg basically 40 mill next to seasons ..because williams is really useless and should cost a first or more to move off..for wcj .cole plus give 2 first rd picks and a handful of 2nd rd picks? am i reading this right?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#43 » by Skybox » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:31 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
Skybox wrote:
giberish wrote:Portland apparently looks to be over the tax next year for a team that isn't a luxury roster. A Brogdon or Simons to Orlando deal where Orlando sends out little salary seems plausible.

Let's Gooooooo...Simons was meant to be here. Paolo & Franz have the potential to produce as many open kick out 3's as anybody in the league - and Simons can knock them down like Steph. ORL will even give POR Wendell Carter who is young, on a great deal, and can play next to Ayton (or instead of him) for TimeLord, who maybe can't play at all, to give further cap relief. Also, Cole Anthony, who's capable of being the spark plug off the bench that Simons is being way overpaid to be now for POR. Sharpe and Scoot are the future in POR.

ORL sens: Wendell Carter, Cole Anthony, ORL 24 frp (assuming it's not top 5), DEN 25 frp, all of ORL's srps for eternity

*ORL maybe still has enough cap to go after Claxton (or just stick with Goga & M. Wagner). Carter is really good, but ORL can find an at least workable Center more easily than a young, athletic, elite shooter from the neighborhood. Upgrading backcourt is priority #1.

so you have magic paying simons and his no defense basically 40 mill next to seasons ..because williams is really useless and should cost a first or more to move off..for wcj .cole plus give 2 first rd picks and a handful of 2nd rd picks? am i reading this right?

Yes...I made sure not to use any big words because I knew you might be following this...

"blowing $40m" next year is OK to get where we need to be before the extensions start kicking in.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#44 » by orlando_joe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:36 pm

Skybox wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
Skybox wrote:

so you have magic paying simons and his no defense basically 40 mill next to seasons ..because williams is really useless and should cost a first or more to move off..for wcj .cole plus give 2 first rd picks and a handful of 2nd rd picks? am i reading this right?

Yes...I made sure not to use any big words because I knew you might be following this...

"blowing $40m" next year is OK to get where we need to be before the extensions start kicking in.

it is 2 yrs ...i can see paying a 1 way guard that misses time the 25 for denver pick and they get cap space and tpe magic have space...but not adding all that to get him..jmo
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#45 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:58 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
Skybox wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:so you have magic paying simons and his no defense basically 40 mill next to seasons ..because williams is really useless and should cost a first or more to move off..for wcj .cole plus give 2 first rd picks and a handful of 2nd rd picks? am i reading this right?

it is 2 yrs ...i can see paying a 1 way guard that misses time the 25 for denver pick and they get cap space and tpe magic have space...but not adding all that to get him..jmo

I agree. Id much rather just sign Monk than trade for Simons in this case. Also, as much i like RW when he's healthy, I dont want him. We already have to worry about Isaac getting injured.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#46 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:01 pm

lol at RWIII costing a 'first or more' to move off.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:02 pm

Sixers- Siakam ( i know its not likely, but i think he'd be a great fit)
Thunder- I think they might try to renegotiate and extend Joe's contract. Also might pick up a big man. Jalen smith? Goga? Claxton doesnt really make sense if you dont plan on starting him.
Magic- decline Ingles' PO and sign both Monk and Claxton (let me dream)
Pistons- huge overpays for one year deals. Thinking guys like Kyle Anderson and maybe Tyus Jones.
Kencapers68
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#48 » by Kencapers68 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 pm

[quote="Laimbeer"]Sixers draft Bronny at #20 and offer LeBron the max (maybe three years?)

I don't think by NBA rules you could offer LeBron a 3 year contract because of his age.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#49 » by NYG » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:26 am

Which team will help Portland ditch the tax?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#50 » by Skybox » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:46 pm

NYG wrote:Which team will help Portland ditch the tax?

ORL would be a great fit for Simons first...Brogdon (who's now an expiring) for significantly less value...but either could be absorbed into cap with some assets coming back to POR.

IMO, ORL might even take back more (R. Williams? Maybe an Ayton for WCJ variation) to further sweeten the deal for POR...I'm assuming those are considered financial burdens for POR (?).

For me, it's all about Simons and I'd love for ORL to weaponize their cap space and picks to take a quick leap. There's really not a place in the ORL rotation for Grant, but ORL could be the bank in a three-way potentially.
NYG
RealGM

Post#51 » by NYG » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:49 pm

Skybox wrote:

ORL would be a great fit for Simons first...Brogdon (who's now an expiring) for significantly less value...but either could be absorbed into cap with some assets coming back to POR.

IMO, ORL might even take back more (R. Williams? Maybe an Ayton for WCJ variation) to further sweeten the deal for POR...I'm assuming those are considered financial burdens for POR (?).

For me, it's all about Simons and I'd love for ORL to weaponize their cap space and picks to take a quick leap. There's really not a place in the ORL rotation for Grant, but ORL could be the bank in a three-way potentially.

Ayton and Simons for WCJ and which picks?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#52 » by babyjax13 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:50 pm

NYG wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I have WCJ + filler as more valuable than Ayton + Simons. The Ayton piece should just be removed so Portland gets value for Simons.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
NYG
RealGM

Post#53 » by NYG » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:29 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
NYG wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I have WCJ + filler as more valuable than Ayton + Simons. The Ayton piece should just be removed so Portland gets value for Simons.

Simons to Orlando for...?
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by Residual-Heat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:32 pm

NYG wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
NYG wrote:

Probably the Magic 2024 1st and maybe another future 1st, but I think id just rather sign Monk in that case.
NYG
RealGM

Post#55 » by NYG » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:51 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
NYG wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I have WCJ + filler as more valuable than Ayton + Simons. The Ayton piece should just be removed so Portland gets value for Simons.

Probably the Magic 2024 1st and maybe another future 1st, but I think id just rather sign Monk in that case.

Which leads me back to the original question

Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:33 am

NYG wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
NYG wrote:

Pistons have a ton of cap space and i could see them struggling to attract FAs.
NYG
RealGM

Post#57 » by NYG » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:35 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
NYG wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Probably the Magic 2024 1st and maybe another future 1st, but I think id just rather sign Monk in that case.

Jerami Grant reunion?
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#58 » by Canadafan » Sat Mar 2, 2024 2:37 pm

NYG wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
NYG wrote:

Jerami Grant reunion?

We'll take Grant and Brogdan into our cap space for free :wink:
Keep our top5 Lotto pick and hope to find a future stud.

C-Duren, Stew
PF-Grant, Fontecchio
SF-Ausur, Grimes, top5 draft pick
SG-Ivey, Sasser
PG-Cade Brogdan
DrModesty
Junior
And1: 473

Post#59 » by DrModesty » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:33 pm

Harden would at least be on my radar if I was the Spurs. Wouldn't necessarily throw the farm at him, but if he is willing to wind his career down there at Dejounte level money then I might be interested. A truly talented PG plus Wemby should theoretically tell you which role players fit for the long term.

Return to Trades and Transactions