I am Utah, and want to make deals

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Hoppy1
Rookie
And1: 294

I am Utah, and want to make deals 

Post#1 » by Hoppy1 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:12 pm

I am willing to trade players and any picks. Players off limits are:
Markkanen, Hendricks, Kessler, and George

What can you do to get me out of the churning and into the playoffs next year?

I started with Utah, Brooklyn, Detroit.
Collins to Nets
Johnson to the Pistons
Milton, Stewart, Ivey to Jazz
Collins is more a PF than Johnson and he hits 3s at a reasonable clip.
Johnson stretches the defenses when playing against Detroit, giving Cunningham more room to operate. Plus Grimes makes Ivey redundant.
Utah gets youth on smaller contracts.

Wizards/Utah
Jones in a S&T with Sexton/24 SRP going to the Wizards
Jones comes in a the PG. Washington could lose him for nothing otherwise. Sexton is younger (25) and may give the Wizards a chance to make a trade for picks with him later.

So that gives Utah:
Jones/Ivey (George)/Markkanen/Hendricks/Kessler

Moves to be made are Clarkson and using picks to get better wing backups or in place of Hendricks (to keep Hendricks as a backup for now).
When you look for the bad in something, expecting to find it, you certainly will.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Re: I am Utah, and want to make deals 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:28 pm

We are not getting Ivey for Collins. We might not even be able to dump Collins for expirings, not a single team truly wants him - not even us. He's a fine player and not bad to have, but he's paid a lot relative to his production, he's not an asset.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#3 » by ChettheJet » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:08 am

Calling from the Chicago Bulls.

I would like Collins. I would have thought something at the deadline would have made sense but the Bulls thought doing nothing was a good idea

With Patrick Williams RFA injured, don't know if the Bulls wish to resign him, or if anyone is willing to offer enough for the Bulls to match or pass. I felt he and Collins on either side of Vucevic was a front line with size and shooting. Demar DeRozan is and UFA I doubt UT wants to sign him so no straight deal. Maybe the Bulls could S&T him to the LAL and then route some of those guys to UT for Collins who if you think he's worthless is just matching numbers.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,032

Post#4 » by mg » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:17 am

If the Jazz actually want Jones why wouldn't they just sign him in FA with capspace? They are one team that probably wouldn't need a s&t.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,751

Post#5 » by SkyHook » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:02 am

Hoppy1 wrote:I am willing to trade players and any picks. Players off limits are:
Markkanen, Hendricks, Kessler, and George

What can you do to get me out of the churning and into the playoffs next year?

I started with Utah, Brooklyn, Detroit.
Collins to Nets
Johnson to the Pistons
Milton, Stewart, Ivey to Jazz
Collins is more a PF than Johnson and he hits 3s at a reasonable clip.
Johnson stretches the defenses when playing against Detroit, giving Cunningham more room to operate. Plus Grimes makes Ivey redundant.
Utah gets youth on smaller contracts.

Wizards/Utah
Jones in a S&T with Sexton/24 SRP going to the Wizards
Jones comes in a the PG. Washington could lose him for nothing otherwise. Sexton is younger (25) and may give the Wizards a chance to make a trade for picks with him later.

So that gives Utah:
Jones/Ivey (George)/Markkanen/Hendricks/Kessler

Moves to be made are Clarkson and using picks to get better wing backups or in place of Hendricks (to keep Hendricks as a backup for now).

I don’t see any of this happening, but I was tempted to reply to your “I am Utah” with “I am Spartacus”. :wink:
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#6 » by brackdan70 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:21 am

I think teams would mostly be interested in your off limits guys and maybe sexton. Collins might require an asset to move unless you move him for a worse contract and get an asset in return.
Also am I mistaken or doesn’t Ainge have the leeway to slow play this rebuild? No urgency to make the playoffs right? He is going to try to acrue assets and multiply value.
Sign here
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Post#7 » by WinterSoldier » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:01 am

Markkanen shouldn't be off limits, actually no one on the Jazz should be off limits for the right deal. there is maybe ten players were no deal would ever make sense.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 am

ChettheJet wrote:Calling from the Chicago Bulls.

I would like Collins. I would have thought something at the deadline would have made sense but the Bulls thought doing nothing was a good idea

With Patrick Williams RFA injured, don't know if the Bulls wish to resign him, or if anyone is willing to offer enough for the Bulls to match or pass. I felt he and Collins on either side of Vucevic was a front line with size and shooting. Demar DeRozan is and UFA I doubt UT wants to sign him so no straight deal. Maybe the Bulls could S&T him to the LAL and then route some of those guys to UT for Collins who if you think he's worthless is just matching numbers.

Useless expirings that match salary seems fine.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#9 » by Mavrelous » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:04 am

WinterSoldier wrote:Markkanen shouldn't be off limits, actually no one on the Jazz should be off limits for the right deal. there is maybe ten players were no deal would ever make sense.

Markannen is on an unextendable expiring, Jazz have 50M cap space, unless something really unexpected happens, he's renegotiated to his max and extended from it.

I'd offer THJ expiring + TOR 25 2nd rd pick for Collin Sexton.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:46 am

So Utah have Clarkson, Collins, Sexton to trade.

I don't think anyone is giving up a top 20 pick for any of them. So Utah would want to be probably upgrading them over trading them for picks.

So I think it comes down to Utah packaging these players in trades with picks for better players.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:51 am

zimpy27 wrote:So Utah have Clarkson, Collins, Sexton to trade.

I don't think anyone is giving up a top 20 pick for any of them. So Utah would want to be probably upgrading them over trading them for picks.

So I think it comes down to Utah packaging these players in trades with picks for better players.

I think someone might for Sexton. But I'd be happy with whatever we can get for Collins, and expirings + a 2nd or two for Clarkson. Don't think it's time to push in, so I disagree with adding picks for upgrades.

JColl
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,991

Post#12 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:56 am

If I'm San Antonio and Utah is willing to take Charlotte's pick and Keldon Johnson, I'd want Collin Sexton.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#13 » by zimpy27 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:30 am

babyjax13 wrote:

I think someone might for Sexton. But I'd be happy with whatever we can get for Collins, and expirings + a 2nd or two for Clarkson. Don't think it's time to push in, so I disagree with adding picks for upgrades.

Sexton gets you the most for sure.
Collins likely costs to move for expiring and Clarkson probably gets you nothing and expiring.

So maybe selling Sexton is the way for a pick.

I'd have thought Utah is more interested in improving the team to win around Markannen
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Post#14 » by Dan Z » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:22 am

Does Utah have enough cap space to sign Tyus Jones? He's a good player, but I'm not sure if he'd be enough to move the needle for them.

If Utah isn't able to keep their 2024 pick (it's protected 1-10) then what's their plan? Sign Markkanen to an extension? Hope for continued improvements by George and Hendricks?
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#15 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:31 pm

WinterSoldier wrote:Markkanen shouldn't be off limits, actually no one on the Jazz should be off limits for the right deal. there is maybe ten players were no deal would ever make sense.

Nope.

As long as Lauri wants to be in Utah, he will be off limits in trades. Utah would be stupid to trade away a star-caliber player that actually wants to be in Utah, just to go through another Haywood/Mitchell experience.

If he decides he wants out, then he will no longer be off limits.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#16 » by louc1970 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:01 pm

mg wrote:If the Jazz actually want Jones why wouldn't they just sign him in FA with capspace? They are one team that probably wouldn't need a s&t.

Need a S&T, no. But trading off dead weight and preserving the cap space would be preferred.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#17 » by louc1970 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:06 pm

At some point Utah has to make the change from building to built. Built also means getting in front of the teams that owe Utah picks (making the picks more valuable(.
Markkanen is 26, 27 next year. How long does Utah wait to cash in?
Has to be within the next 4 years as a team ready to seriously compete - more than play-in/first round summit.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,882

Post#18 » by BK_2020 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:09 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:

Nope.

As long as Lauri wants to be in Utah, he will be off limits in trades. Utah would be stupid to trade away a star-caliber player that actually wants to be in Utah, just to go through another Haywood/Mitchell experience.

If he decides he wants out, then he will no longer be off limits.

Does Lauri want to be in Utah for a 4 year rebuild? I think he stays one more year so he can renegotiate the current contract then ask out.
Hoppy1
Rookie

Post#19 » by Hoppy1 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:16 pm

brackdan70 wrote:I think teams would mostly be interested in your off limits guys and maybe sexton. Collins might require an asset to move unless you move him for a worse contract and get an asset in return.
Also am I mistaken or doesn’t Ainge have the leeway to slow play this rebuild? No urgency to make the playoffs right? He is going to try to acrue assets and multiply value.

Of course they would be interested in them. But they are the building blocks for the team.
You can put pieces around Markkanen, Hendricks, Wessler. Need another scorer and several role players. What Utah has now is some expensive role players that offer very little to the team - Collins/Jackson/Sexton.
When you look for the bad in something, expecting to find it, you certainly will.
Hoppy1
Rookie

Post#20 » by Hoppy1 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:19 pm

Collins and # of picks for who?
Sexton and # of picks for who?

I am trying to gauge what the populace thinks are good moves.

Return to Trades and Transactions