LaVine to the Pistons

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

LaVine to the Pistons 

Post#1 » by NYG » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:22 am

Chicago Bulls get:
Isaiah Stewart
Quentin Grimes
Lower of 2027 Nets/Mavericks 2nd
2028 Knicks 2nd
2029 Bucks 2nd
2030 Timberwolves 2nd

Detroit Pistons get:
Zach LaVine

-The Bulls add a useful big man and a young guard with defensive potential plus four second round picks and they save a ton of money both up-front and long-term to kickstart the rebuild they've been putting off.

-There's no Zach LaVine in free agency for Detroit to sign and at this price, it should be worth adding the talent level LaVine brings to the table and his skillset is a good fit. I would take LaVine versus overpaying Tobias or Bridges, no?
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Re: LaVine to the Pistons 

Post#2 » by LaSheed » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:51 am

If We were to keep Stewart, Grimes, Lower of the '27 Nets/Mavs 2nd, 2028 Knicks 2nd, 2029 Bucks 2nd, 2030 Timberwolves 2nd and they Bulls offer 2 1st round picks attached to Lavine my mind would slightly hesitate from No to maybe for about 10 seconds.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#3 » by GreekAlex » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:38 am

No to Lavine under all circumstances for the Pistons.

:naaa:
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#4 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:34 am

Man I thought we were done with these LaVine to Pistons trade threads. And then this guy comes in and has us giving up 6(!) assets for him. Surely this is a bad joke.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:59 pm

I thought the injury and the deadline passing would mean we were done with Lavine to Detroit ideas that depict Lavine as a positive value piece.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#6 » by ChettheJet » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:27 pm

The reasoning for DET trading for Lavine is of course lost on Piston fans. There's no downside for them. DET isn't going to contend for the payoffs for 2 years at the most optimistic. So Lavine scores and makes highlights while their young guys that they have now will sort themselves out, some that project as keepers for the potential playoff days ahead and the ones that they missed on . Then there's the ones they will still be adding in the next 2 drafts. Along the way if you think Lavine will be injured for 3 years, the kids get to play a little more but when he does play he takes a lot of pressure off the young players to be the most prominent guy.

By the time they have sorted out their long term roster Lavine's contract will be running out and he'll end up as an expiring contract that can be dealt. There just isn't a long list of upper tier FAs looking to sign with DET, so they lock in a near all star in Lavine while they have their young low cost core maturing and seeing who can be the leader, who is a role player and who they need to move on from. Look at how good Jerami Grant looked in DET, they moved him and he got the big contract and how does he look on a losing PORT team?

Just me I'd be happy for the Bull getting Stewart, Ivey and a single 2030 FRP.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#7 » by Billl » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:42 pm

ChettheJet wrote:The reasoning for DET trading for Lavine is of course lost on Piston fans. There's no downside for them. DET isn't going to contend for the payoffs for 2 years at the most optimistic. So Lavine scores and makes highlights while their young guys that they have now will sort themselves out, some that project as keepers for the potential playoff days ahead and the ones that they missed on . Then there's the ones they will still be adding in the next 2 drafts. Along the way if you think Lavine will be injured for 3 years, the kids get to play a little more but when he does play he takes a lot of pressure off the young players to be the most prominent guy.

By the time they have sorted out their long term roster Lavine's contract will be running out and he'll end up as an expiring contract that can be dealt. There just isn't a long list of upper tier FAs looking to sign with DET, so they lock in a near all star in Lavine while they have their young low cost core maturing and seeing who can be the leader, who is a role player and who they need to move on from. Look at how good Jerami Grant looked in DET, they moved him and he got the big contract and how does he look on a losing PORT team?

Of course you would be happy to get 3 positive assets for 1 negative. Chicago can't give lavine away. They shopped him all year and found nobody willing to take on that contract.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#8 » by Moses ShamMoses » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:23 pm

yeah...i also view Lavine as neutral value with the contract and injury. Stewart and Grimes probably have neutral value as well, but not sure why we are giving up the 2nds.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#9 » by Laimbeer » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:30 pm

ChettheJet wrote:The reasoning for DET trading for Lavine is of course lost on Piston fans. There's no downside for them. DET isn't going to contend for the payoffs for 2 years at the most optimistic. So Lavine scores and makes highlights while their young guys that they have now will sort themselves out, some that project as keepers for the potential playoff days ahead and the ones that they missed on . Then there's the ones they will still be adding in the next 2 drafts. Along the way if you think Lavine will be injured for 3 years, the kids get to play a little more but when he does play he takes a lot of pressure off the young players to be the most prominent guy.

But Lavine is occupying a very large cap hit and taking minutes away from younger players. We aren't going to be good anyway, so the ceiling is a very expensive highlight reel slowing or even hurting the development of other players. The floor is a massively negative deal if he's hurt. Just because a team has a large amount of cap doesn't mean they should aimlessly burn it, though all bets are off with Weaver.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#10 » by theBigLip » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:01 pm

ChettheJet wrote:The reasoning for DET trading for Lavine is of course lost on Piston fans. There's no downside for them.

One of the most ridiculous statements I’ve read in awhile.

Detroit has $60-70M in cap space this year. You think it’s a good idea to use it and tie it up for four years on LaVine? That’s the downside. Detroit should be able to get 2-3 players with this amount, and they all might be better players than LaVine.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:40 pm

ChettheJet wrote:

You’re joking right?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#12 » by gswhoops » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:29 pm

LaVine is not returning assets, and a rebuilding team like Detroit shouldn't be interested in him anyway. All he would do for them is make them just good enough to not get a top pick while hindering the growth of young guys like Cade, Ivey, and Ausar.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#13 » by chrbal » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:31 pm

ChettheJet wrote:The reasoning for DET trading for Lavine is of course lost on Piston fans. There's no downside for them.

Blake Griffin was 28 years old, grossly overpaid, and played a position that wasn’t really a need at the time for Detroit

All of that is true for Zach, but I will admit Detroit needs to add talent. But not at that cost and quite honestly, not Zach.

Not to mention Detroit was rumored to be trading for him, or at least linked to him, at the deadline. Then he chose surgery and the rumors were done. Doesn’t exactly seem like the ideal player to invest ~$130 million over 3 years on. I think he has no interest in playing for Detroit
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#14 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:17 am

It's actually not lost on us at all. We would aim to use our cap space to trade for players of a higher quality than LaVine (which isn't hard for a guy that is a career loser and constantly injured) and who are a better fit for our roster.

The fact that you have suggested a return of Stewart, Ivey and a first rounder for him tells us his true trade value is of course lost on you.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:19 am

The Pistons shouldn't offer a single long term asset for LaVine. Not a second, not a young roleplayer, nothing. He's a waste of assets on that team.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
letsgobulls23
Pro Prospect
And1: 510

Post#16 » by letsgobulls23 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:41 pm

Can I say that ChetttheJet does not speak for all Bulls fans lol. We know LaVine has no value currently. No one expects an offer like the OP.

If Detroit is committed to the young guys, adding LaVine at $40+ million makes no sense at all.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#17 » by the_process » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:35 pm

I could see a Zach to Pistons deal.

It won’t be for a lot, but it will be for positive value.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,313

Post#18 » by coldfish » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Lavine is on the Klutch career plan. Get a big deal, chill out, maximize time out with injuries, etc. up until the last year of his deal. Then he will get healthy again, play his ass off and opt out for the biggest bag he can get.

After this year, you will have one bad year of Lavine and one contract year of Lavine, then he leaves. Its not the end of the world. If the Pistons have no one else to give their capspace to, there might be some reason to trade for Lavine but its mostly just going to be spare parts and 2nd round picks going to the Bulls, if anything.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#19 » by tmorgan » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:44 pm

Nope. Not for free into our cap, and certainly not for any actual assets.

We have plenty of young, talented guards that need playing time to develop. If you want to sell Detroit something, the glaring need is a forward that can shoot and isn’t a sieve defensively. We went out and got Fontecchio already, so someone clearly better than Simone is the baseline.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#20 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:40 pm

I don’t see LaVine to the Pistons without assets attached. The salary his way too much to take into cap space with so many young guys needing deals before LaVine’s contract ends. If the Bulls tacked on Patrick Williams plus a their first round this year unprotected, I’d consider it. I don’t see any way it makes sense to take on LaVine at the contract. The injures just make the deal look worse.

Return to Trades and Transactions