What should the bulls do in the offseason?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Re: What should the bulls do in the offseason? 

Post#41 » by pipfan » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:38 pm

I was thinking about AC-we LOVE him on the team, but I wonder what we can get for him. I just don't think our FO will take ANY steps back, and we'll be a Playin team next year too (MAYBE sneak into the 6th seed with A LOT of luck, but that's our ceiling).
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,415

Post#42 » by JRoy » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:11 pm

pipfan wrote:I was thinking about AC-we LOVE him on the team, but I wonder what we can get for him. I just don't think our FO will take ANY steps back, and we'll be a Playin team next year too (MAYBE sneak into the 6th seed with A LOT of luck, but that's our ceiling).

Caruso and White are probably the most valuable trade pieces CHI has. CHI should move at least one for the best offer available.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#43 » by Mike lorenzo » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:13 pm

pipfan wrote:I was thinking about AC-we LOVE him on the team, but I wonder what we can get for him. I just don't think our FO will take ANY steps back, and we'll be a Playin team next year too (MAYBE sneak into the 6th seed with A LOT of luck, but that's our ceiling).

Caruso to KNICKS
M.Robinson to BULLS?
1+1=11
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#44 » by NYG » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:55 am

Chicago Bulls get:
19th Overall Draft Pick

Philadelphia 76ers get:
Zach LaVine
Alex Caruso
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#45 » by pipfan » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:19 am

NYG wrote:Chicago Bulls get:
19th Overall Draft Pick

Philadelphia 76ers get:
Zach LaVine
Alex Caruso

Sadly, I would do this-to start over. Just keep White/Ayo/PWill/Vuc/Terry/Phillips-add the #11 and 19 picks and see what we have next year.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#46 » by Pipp33 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:58 pm

NYG wrote:
Pipp33 wrote:
NYG wrote:How do they get off LaVine?

Can't see the Bulls getting anything in return for Lavine of note.

The goal should be to shed the money and not have to send good draft picks with him....not sure how possible that is. Don't mind taking bad money back as long as it's expiring

LaVine for Jordan Poole and Richaun Holmes?

I'd rather keep him than take back Jordan Poole at this stage.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
doogie_hauser
Senior
And1: 788

Post#47 » by doogie_hauser » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:16 pm

Chicago under no circumstances should trade Coby White unless they get a ridiculous/too good to refuse offer. Been one of their few shining lights this season and on a very good contract.

Freeing cap space (somehow) and keeping all their FRPs for the next few years is probably their best course of action. Probably time for a coaching change too I think.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#48 » by drosestruts » Mon Mar 4, 2024 8:30 pm

ah the Bulls - i'm one of the crazy people that think we're close to being better than we've shown. Throughout this season alone they're regularly playing with close t0 $70mm in cap space in street clothes, and despite that have been hovering just under .500 for a majority of the year.

There's a lot of comments about DeRozan in this thread, which I get since he's a free agent, but the money going to Lonzo and LaVine is currently a much bigger issue to me.

Even when healthy and playing individually well I think lineup data as shown that DeMar and LaVine just don't work together. There's several strong performing lineups on the Bulls that include one of these players but not many that include both.

Some might see DeMar as a free agent and decide the easiest path is to let him walk or sign and trade him while then building around LaVine. But while DeMar is older, and trading LaVine will be difficult, I think retaining DeMar and figuring out how to reinvest the money currently owed to LaVine and Ball is the better path forward.

With Lonzo I feel a decision is coming one way or the other soon - if he's healthy enough to play he in theory as value as a player or as an expiring contract. If he can't play, I don't see how the Bulls don't petition to have him medically retired and have the money come off the cap space.

With LaVine - popular consensus here seems to be he's untradeable. As a general rule, no one is untradeable.

I think we're also looking at a summer featuring multiple teams with cap space and a need for an upgrade at the guard spots, but a free agent market that's pretty shallow on good guards.

So what do I do?

Currently a little more pessimistic on Ball, so let's say he's unble to go an his $20mm is removed from the books as he's medically retired.

LaVine - i've said it before but where there's smoke there's fire. I think the Pistons interest in him is real. I think they were able to get additional assets by trading big salary like Bogdanovic and Burks elsewhere to get other assets and then will simply turn around and use their cap space this summer to acquire LaVine.

Something like LaVine for Ivey and/or Stewart and cap space. I know what people here think of that idea, I guess time will tell. I think LaVine to the Pistons was all but done at the deadline and then they just moved the deal to the summer.

Re-sign DeMar and Williams.
Hopefully we can get good deals for each. A lot of hate for AK/ME but they've been able to sign and/or re-sign veteran players at good deals during their time with the Bulls.

Drummond - would love to keep him, but unsure if we'll be able to

Draft - trade down with either the Pelicans or Knicks who both project to have 2 picks after the Bulls are projected to pick. Maybe end up with two guys like Kel'el Ware and Bobi Klintman or something. Get some youth into those 4 and 5 positions.

Hopefully enough savings from the LaVine trade and Ball situation to pursue signing a forward with size/shooting/defense with the MLE like a Robert Covington, Royce O'Neale, Batum, Slo-Mo type of guy

The Bulls are 22-18 and since December 1st. I think the past three months are more representative of who they are than their 6-14 start to the season in November. It's certainly, undeniably the larger sample size.

White/Caruso/Carter
Dosunmu/Bitim
DeRozan/Terry
Williams/Phillips
Vucevic/

That starting lineup is +12 per 100 possesions in a decent amount of minutes this year. If you support that foundation with complimentary healthy pieces I think you could build something decent that then rests on if/how well young guys like White, Dosunmu, Williams, Phillips, and future draft picks can develop.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#49 » by JKiddy » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:22 pm

They need to just blow the entire thing up. Build around Coby White and just get rid of everyone else. Be bad for 2 years then be okay in year 3 before becoming a playoff team in year 4.

Return to Trades and Transactions