Most valuable *individual* player available for 2024 #1 pick

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Re: Most valuable *individual* player available for 2024 #1 pick 

Post#41 » by babyjax13 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:51 pm

Wolveswin wrote:What about Melo?

Hornets could have a wonderful and quick reset. #1 acquired in Melo trade. And own top 5.

So, Topić (with one of the picks) and Sarr with other (for example). To go with Miller, and next year’s tank 2024/25 season. Exciting young team all on rookie deals.

I think Melo is worth much, much more than the first pick in this draft - but it could be an interesting foundation.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#42 » by Wolveswin » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:52 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
It's also cost control..

Maybe KAT makes most sense. But a rookie deal is cheap and you get to pick anyone you want. The scouting department would have a lot of interest in some of these guys

Wolves just don’t need a rookie as centerpiece of KAT trade. Wolves aren’t stepping back that far. Even risk pissing off Edwards that he has to wait 2-3 years on a rookie to develop to level needed (deep playoff ready). BUT…

If said team holding #1 loves Towns but all they have to offer is #1 (not win-now players Wolves need), maybe a 3rd team getting #1 can reward Wolves with a player they actually want.

Maybe this is a situation where DeJounte Murray could make some sense. Let's say the team is Memphis?

MIN trades: KAT
in: Murray, ???

ATL trades: Murray, ???
in: 1

MEM trades: 1, ???
in: Towns

Still some things to fill in, but Towns with Ja, Bane, and JJJ would be really potent, and I think there is enough there defensively to be good. I'd assume the salary needed from Memphis would be Kennard + Clarke + Smart. Smart makes a bit more sense next to Trae than Murray does, IMO.

If Memphis can afford everyone, Towns is perfect fit in Memphis. It would suck competing against Towns and Griz every year for sure. Wolves would have massive reservation.

Murray is pretty meh for Wolves. Just locked in Conley, Johnson from Hawks would be the demand.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#43 » by babyjax13 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:56 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Wolves just don’t need a rookie as centerpiece of KAT trade. Wolves aren’t stepping back that far. Even risk pissing off Edwards that he has to wait 2-3 years on a rookie to develop to level needed (deep playoff ready). BUT…

If said team holding #1 loves Towns but all they have to offer is #1 (not win-now players Wolves need), maybe a 3rd team getting #1 can reward Wolves with a player they actually want.

Maybe this is a situation where DeJounte Murray could make some sense. Let's say the team is Memphis?

MIN trades: KAT
in: Murray, ???

ATL trades: Murray, ???
in: 1

MEM trades: 1, ???
in: Towns

Still some things to fill in, but Towns with Ja, Bane, and JJJ would be really potent, and I think there is enough there defensively to be good. I'd assume the salary needed from Memphis would be Kennard + Clarke + Smart. Smart makes a bit more sense next to Trae than Murray does, IMO.

If Memphis can afford everyone, Towns is perfect fit in Memphis. It would suck competing against Towns and Griz every year for sure. Wolves would have massive reservation.

Murray is pretty meh for Wolves. Just locked in Conley, Johnson from Hawks would be the demand.

I love Mike, but at his age Minnesota needs a long term solution, IMO. Johnson would be great but I think he's worth just as much as the first pick & "a bird in the hand.. " etc.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,109

Post#44 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:18 pm

I think most teams are going to want a decent prospect with that pick

Giddy and #1 gets you a lot more interest than Hayward and #1.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,685

Post#45 » by shrink » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:18 pm

I think the price of the #1 pick this year is probably a borderline all star, either one that just made it, or one that just missed. The #1 pick has extra value on that it comes with media. Every article leading up to the lottery will lead off with your guy. So will every article lading up to the draft. That buzz means $

But while the price might be about right, the direction is wrong with Towns. MIN is leading the tough Western Conference. That is a tremendously rare thing for the Wolves fanbase, and new ownership can’t make the team substantially worse by trading Towns for something down the road. And even if we set aside that Towns offense and defense helps make the team so successful, his willingness to sacrifice for his teammates is unlikely to be replicated by anyone they’d bring in for him. Towns wants to make Ant better, and make Rudy better, because he wants the team to win.

If the Wolves weren’t where they are, if it was a typical year on the lottery treadmill, I think that MIN would trade for the #1, and sell fans on a brighter future. But with their picks traded, and sitting on top of the West, the future is now for MIN.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#46 » by NYG » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:15 am

Donovan Mitchell?
NYG
RealGM

Post#47 » by NYG » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:16 am

What pick are the following guys worth?

Mikal Bridges
Jalen Green
Dejounte Murray
Kyle Kuzma
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#48 » by tmorgan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:19 am

NYG wrote:What pick are the following guys worth?

Mikal Bridges
Jalen Green
Dejounte Murray
Kyle Kuzma

I’m not confident enough in evaluating this draft, other than it doesn’t contain any true #1 or #2 talent in my opinion.

The order is clearly Bridges - Murray - Green - Kuzma.

I’d say 1 - 3 - 10 - 18. But I have no real basis for that.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#49 » by bkohler » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:37 am

babyjax13 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Lauri

Not a chance. I *might* do Taylor Hendricks and a non-premium future pick for #1, but that doesn't really fit the brief. I think the answer to this question is DeJounte Murray, but that would be a bad move for a rebuilding team.

I think there's a fair chance that Hendrick would have gone #1 this year if he stayed and played at the same level he did as a freshmen.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#50 » by penbeast0 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:57 am

I'd certainly give Kuzma for the #1.

The two most valuable Wiz are Deni Avdija and Bilal Coulibaly and both are signed for awhile at reasonable deals so no worry about expiring. I'd probably give either for the #1 and reset the clock with Topic and another top rookie. I will say that probably most Wiz fans will disagree with me.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#51 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:03 am

RookieJazz wrote:Weak draft. And a tough question. I think a good starter is fair value (not all-star, not borderline all-star).
Names that come to my mind: Julius Randle, Tyler Herro, Grant, Garland, Jarret Alen, Austin Reaves, Beal, Sexton, McCollum....

Yeah I don't see anyone trading #1 in this draft for any of these guys except maybe Garland. Some of them are completely lol worthy.

Beal just got dealt for some seconds and expiring yet you think someone is giving up the first pick for him? Not to mention the no trade clause
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#52 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:09 am

Wolveswin wrote:What about Melo?

Hornets could have a wonderful and quick reset. #1 acquired in Melo trade. And own top 5.

So, Topić (with one of the picks) and Sarr with other (for example). To go with Miller, and next year’s tank 2024/25 season. Exciting young team all on rookie deals.

There would have to be an additional future first or two on top of this years #1 and no bad contracts back as filler.
NYG
RealGM

Post#53 » by NYG » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:12 am

Jalen Green + Brooklyn's 1st (8th Overall) = 1st Overall?
wegotthabeet
Veteran
And1: 1,942

Post#54 » by wegotthabeet » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:18 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think most teams are going to want a decent prospect with that pick

Giddy and #1 gets you a lot more interest than Hayward and #1.

Not a bad idea at all. Maybe OKC uses Giddey and the Rocket’s pick to trade up for Jalen’s brother. Doesn’t have to be the first overall just a top 4 pick should suffice.
Sealab2024
Sophomore
And1: 360

Post#55 » by Sealab2024 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:38 am

Cade Cunningham
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#56 » by penbeast0 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:27 am

NYG wrote:Jalen Green + Brooklyn's 1st (8th Overall) = 1st Overall?

Probably not; Jalen has really not shown much so far. He may still turn into a decent player but probably not a star. The top pick still has that top end variance chance.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#57 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:48 am

jbk1234 wrote:I think the playoffs need to play out and extension discussions might have to take place before you even get there. If the Celtics falter, the No. 1 pick, cap savings and filler might get you Brown. I don't think Griffin trusts the draft process, but if Ingram declines to extend, there's an opportunity there for a three-team deal. Maybe the Cavs reset if Mitchell declines to extend (or a three team deal). If Mitchell does extend, maybe the Nets consider building around the No 1 pick.

Why do you think that one bad postseason would cause the Celtics to reverse many years of strategy, in which they've made huge investment?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#58 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:49 am

RookieJazz wrote:Weak draft. And a tough question. I think a good starter is fair value (not all-star, not borderline all-star).
Names that come to my mind: Julius Randle, Tyler Herro, Grant, Garland, Jarret Alen, Austin Reaves, Beal, Sexton, McCollum....

Technically, Randle is an all-star.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Post#59 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:11 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I think the playoffs need to play out and extension discussions might have to take place before you even get there. If the Celtics falter, the No. 1 pick, cap savings and filler might get you Brown. I don't think Griffin trusts the draft process, but if Ingram declines to extend, there's an opportunity there for a three-team deal. Maybe the Cavs reset if Mitchell declines to extend (or a three team deal). If Mitchell does extend, maybe the Nets consider building around the No 1 pick.

Why do you think that one bad postseason would cause the Celtics to reverse many years of strategy, in which they've made huge investment?

Tatum is due a Supermax, White needs a new contract, and they can't afford to replace Horford. If they fall short with Tatum and Brown, again, they might ask whether keeping Brown on a Supermax is worth the tradeoffs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#60 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:22 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:

Tatum is due a Supermax, White needs a new contract, and they can't afford to replace Horford. If they fall short with Tatum and Brown, again, they might ask whether keeping Brown on a Supermax is worth the tradeoffs.

They have Bird Rights on Tatum and White alike. So no problem there.

And they have Kornet/Tillman/Queta behind Porzingis and Horford. So they're supporting that position as best they can. ... Anyhow, I don't see why they'd seriously entertain trading Brown just to replace a very good Sixth Man in Horford.

The Celtics have gone into this second-apron-induced period of roster inflexibility very intentionally. They have 12 guys under control who can actually play (I'm excluding Svi M.), plus 2 good prospects in Springer and Walsh, and a few longer-shot prospects too (admittedly, Cs fans would be happy if so much as 1 useful guy emerges from Peterson/Davison/Begarin/Madar). They don't need to trade an all-star for depth.

Return to Trades and Transactions