Warchest Check

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,498

Re: Warchest Check 

Post#21 » by Wolveswin » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:15 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I feel like OKC shouldn’t be included as they don’t seem to have a need to use their warchest. Will just continue drafting in the lottery and/or delaying firsts every year. Not sure we’ve ever seen it done so well.

Crazy enough, I don’t think OKC/Presti has the warchest quality many presume. No doubt he has quantity, but let’s take a look…

2024:
+#9 and #11 today. But #11 protected 1-10 and could pushed to 2025 (Jazz 1-10 again) which could be a PLUS.

2025:
+Own OKC 1st with Rockets Swap (1-10 protected) + Clippers Swap (unprotected)
+Heat 1st (1-14 protected)
+Philly (1-6 protected)

So far not so great quality. 2024 is meh and lots of hope teams in 2025 implode or those are late 1sts.

2026:
++2x Best of OKC, Clippers, Rockets (1-4 protected) worst 1st goes to Philly

2027:
++2x Best of OKC, Clippers, Nuggets (1-5 protected with two years after 25 being conveyed language) with Clippers getting worse 1st via swap

2028:
+Own OKC 1st with Dallas Swap (unprotected)

2029:
+Own OKC 1st
+Nuggets 1st (1-5 protected with two years after 27 being conveyed language)

2030:
+Own OKC 1st

Breaking this list down, I think the most valuable 1sts Presti might own are his own OKC 1sts…because they can come truly unprotected AND with swaps (best of) in 25, 26, 27, 28.

I expect the 2024 Houston or Utah first to be flipped/delayed for future picks. No reason to add a kid to this group.

I think the 2026 first is pretty valuable still. Seems realistic that one of LAC/Houston is in the lottery.

I think Denver could convey a nice pick. Joker will be 33 in 2029 and have hit free agency. And the team will be severely limited in building around their current group in 2027, but they’ll have Jokic as long as he stays happy.

2028 Dallas swap.. Luka will be young enough but will he resign or demand out once he’s gets his supermax?

2025 firsts will be flipped for distant picks/swaps similar to how he handled this years less valuable picks..

Presti’s willingness to delay assets is part of what makes it impressive.

On top of owning probably 20 second round picks to consolidate, add to taste..

The pure volume is impressive. Just not that many true unprotected. For example, 3x Suns unprotected and 1x Mavs unprotected owed Nets are more valuable (and probably highest valued owed picks in the business).

Crazy part is Presti can wait. He has enough youth and talent he can wait for (as you describe) Nuggets to age, Clippers to break down, or Mavs to lose Doncic. He is no rush.

But when trading for a star, other GMs will value stack Presti’s owed picks with others being offered. Presti may have to make it up in volume (which he has) due to lack of quality.

Return to Trades and Transactions