Eastern Conference - Your Team Gets Eliminated Round 1: What Happens Next?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Re: Eastern Conference - Your Team Gets Eliminated Round 1: What Happens Next? 

Post#21 » by RookieStar » Mon Mar 4, 2024 7:57 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Well we discussed it already, win or lose, we would move heaven or earth to sign Grayson or Monk while our expirings expire.

All the while developing our young guys in Paolo, Franz, Suggs, Black and Jett..

not sure front office agrees ...move heaven and earth for role playing backup?

Probably. Since I don't remember them moving heavena and earth for a star... besides Monk/Allen would probably be starters seeing as how raw AB still is.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#22 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:16 am

A massive funeral for the 14 whole teams that died in unfortunate plane crashes.

Oh, Eastern Conference only? 7 teams, as above.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Post#23 » by Dan Z » Tue Mar 5, 2024 10:13 am

ChettheJet wrote:IF the Bulls get into the play in and hit it just right to make the 1st round only to lose

as teams E & W get eliminated look at who are coaching change candidates, GMs who might be on the hot seat. When teams change either, they make trades.

Which teams get eliminated sooner than they expected due to a lack of scoring especially young teams. Those are the candidates for DeRozan S&T and maybe Lavine.
Which teams lost due to a lack of scoring in the paint that's who they might look to be interested in Vucevic.
Which teams got hammered on the boards and would think Andre Drummond changes that for them.
Which teams lost because they came up short defensively, probably off the bench and closing out the game, who sees Alex Caruso as making up for that problem

Drummond is a UFA at the end of the season so the Bulls can't trade him.

I like you're ideas, but I don't see the front office doing any of them except for trading LaVine.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#24 » by 165bows » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:01 pm

OriAr wrote:
NYG wrote:Let's say your Eastern Conference team gets bounced Round 1 of the playoffs (or earlier for some teams)... how would the stars and management react?

Celtics
Cavaliers
Bucks
Knicks
76ers
Heat
Magic
Pacers
Bulls
Hawks

Lowkey I am curious about Boston because I don't think Brad Stevens will be ready to just run it back after another playoff choke.
I assume Mazzulla's seat becomes scorching hot if they somehow lose in the 1st round, especially with Bud available and unemployed.

Joe Mazzulla: coaches best winning percentage all time for a coach

RealGM: scorching hot hot seat incoming

Gotta love it.
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#25 » by OriAr » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:12 pm

165bows wrote:
OriAr wrote:
NYG wrote:Let's say your Eastern Conference team gets bounced Round 1 of the playoffs (or earlier for some teams)... how would the stars and management react?

Celtics
Cavaliers
Bucks
Knicks
76ers
Heat
Magic
Pacers
Bulls
Hawks

Lowkey I am curious about Boston because I don't think Brad Stevens will be ready to just run it back after another playoff choke.
I assume Mazzulla's seat becomes scorching hot if they somehow lose in the 1st round, especially with Bud available and unemployed.

Gotta love it.

If he loses in the first round of the playoffs? Definitely.
A loss in the finals and he's fine, a loss in the ECF and he's still probably OK, but losing in the first two rounds will leave them with a heavy choking tag and people will rightfully ask questions.
Can't imagine Stevens running it back as if nothing happened if the Celts choke again in the playoffs.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#26 » by Skybox » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:23 pm

I expect ORL to get bounced in the first round, but it's still a successful season...

My hope is that the FO doesn't pat themselves on the back too much and they recognize that "give the ball to Paolo or Franz and watch" is not a viable offense for the next step and they look for that third legit offensive threat. IMO, they should have addressed that last trade deadline (when it became apparent that Franz & Paolo were born ready-way ahead of schedule), last summer, this past trade deadline...so I hope it's this summer. On any given night, they might get a boost from Suggs, Cole Anthony, WCJ, or even Caleb Houstan...but I think that if they're going to become a serious threat in a playoff series, they'll need a third guy (in the backcourt) that can legitimately go for 30 pts, any time you ignore him to double Franz & Paolo. It shouldn't be a surprise when it happens - like it is now.

My ideal guy is Simons, who may or may not become available. IF Mitchell committed to CLE, maybe Garland could be had. I'd like Dejounte even though he's not really an elite 3pt shooter. Monk is certainly the most intriguing scoring guard among the UFA's. ORL's FO has positioned themselves perfectly to make an aggressive move - with tons of cap space, extra picks, none of the expirings are really core guys...on the flip side, big extensions looming for Franz, Suggs, and then Paolo...so time to make a move is now.

It's a fun time to be a Magic fan, but I'm afraid a playoff series against a well-prepared, talented team could really reveal the holes in ORL's offense. Paolo & Franz are fantastic, but anybody can be stopped if the supporting players can't punish you for daring them to shoot it. They'll win a game or two when someone gets hot, but, considering how many open 3's ORL generates, they are still not where they need to be in terms of perimeter scoring.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#27 » by 165bows » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:53 pm

OriAr wrote:
165bows wrote:
OriAr wrote:Lowkey I am curious about Boston because I don't think Brad Stevens will be ready to just run it back after another playoff choke.

Gotta love it.

A loss in the finals and he's fine, a loss in the ECF and he's still probably OK, but losing in the first two rounds will leave them with a heavy choking tag and people will rightfully ask questions.
Can't imagine Stevens running it back as if nothing happened if the Celts choke again in the playoffs.

What are we taking about, sports talk radio? Trust me the front office loves Psycho Joe he’s not going to be on the hot seat.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#28 » by Knickfan1982 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:19 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:Speaking for the Knicks -- it all depends on circumstance.

If our guys are injured and we lose to a quality opponent - then it's no big deal at all, keep the train moving.
If Randle and Brunson are healthy and Randle puts out a dud despite finishing the regular season with good play in a sustainable way (like not that was just hitting an inordinate amount of 3's) then we have a problem. Ultimately our team was not built to win it all this year so it won't do too much to us.

This right here sums it up. What happens next depends upon the context of the loss. The only sure thing is we try and bring back the guys we got from Toronto. Otherwise, scout the draft and see if we can find useful depth pieces that have the upside to become something more and wait to see if a superstar becomes available.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#29 » by theBigLip » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:06 pm

OriAr wrote:
165bows wrote:
OriAr wrote:Lowkey I am curious about Boston because I don't think Brad Stevens will be ready to just run it back after another playoff choke.

Gotta love it.

Porzingis and Tatum need to stay healthy. If not, they wouldn’t make it to the Finals. I like Porzingis but his track record of staying healthy is not so good.
Who-rod
Starter
And1: 254

Post#30 » by Who-rod » Tue Mar 5, 2024 7:17 pm

With every additional win, the pressure on the Celtics increases. Until this latest win streak, they were commonly called the best team in the league, but the hyperbole has really ratcheted up as they've separated from the field.

No matter what people say, this is the first year the Celtics are truly overwhelmingly talented, and Tatum and Brown are in their primes. If they were to lose in the first round, the rhetoric would be absolutely insane.

I think the conversation for them would change internally from, let Tatum and Brown keep getting better and supplement them to: how do we make Tatum better? The only way they could really address that, is by moving their final remaining asset. Brown.

I think a 1st round exit leads the Celtics to shop Brown for a player that could either: 1. Take some pressure off Tatum at crunch time, and/or 2. Put Tatum in position to get easier looks throughout and at that point in the game.

I think it leads the Celtics to make another dramatic move to change the situation:

Kick off Brown for Trae discussions.

That creates an interesting roster issue. The Celtics value length and size across the lineup. I'm not sure they'd be okay with a Trae, Jrue, White, Tatum, Zinger starting lineup. One of White or Jrue may have to go for a big wing. I have no idea what a potential trade looks like to get such a desired asset, but I could see it being a goal.

Despite everything said above, I just can't see a scenario where the Celtics are bounced in the first round, so this is likely all mott.

Return to Trades and Transactions