Mock Off-Season: Early Rough Draft

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: Mock Off-Season: Early Rough Draft 

Post#21 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:37 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
This isn’t the offseason to go crazy in free agency. They most likely continue their tradition of rolling it over to 2025 with 1+1 deals.

There’s also a possibility they use their cap to absorb a high contract player like Trae/Garland w/o needing to send out as much salary.

If they want to absorb a high contract player, I'd be willing to send them Jordan Poole.

Key words: “like Trae/Garland” :lol:

Poole is nearing untradeable status (if not already).

If Detroit is really interested in Lavine maybe just maybe they can convince themselves in Poole. I really don’t see any other team that would be interested in that contract.

Sorry, that was bitter sarcasm from a Wizards fan. :nonono:
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,456

Post#22 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:19 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
If they want to absorb a high contract player, I'd be willing to send them Jordan Poole.

Key words: “like Trae/Garland” :lol:

Poole is nearing untradeable status (if not already).

If Detroit is really interested in Lavine maybe just maybe they can convince themselves in Poole. I really don’t see any other team that would be interested in that contract.

Sorry, that was bitter sarcasm from a Wizards fan. :nonono:

You have a lot to be excited for though, Deni is turning the corner, Coulibaly is a stud and Sarr is in arms reach and who knows maybe even Flagg :o
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#23 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:48 pm

Definitely rooting for them; I like taking a real direction and wholeheartedly switching to development rather than halfheartedly trying to just squeak into the playoffs like the last decade (and most of the last 40 years). Poole has been horrible but even he's played better since being moved to backup PG instead of starting SG (though still really poor BBIQ which isn't what I want in a PG).

Most of our guys have developed, Coulibaly looks like an NBA player and is young enough to develop and we have our draft choices still plus some extra seconds so there's hope. Just the early process years can be a bit tough to watch.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#24 » by islandboy53 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:01 am

NYG wrote:I want to try to do a mock off-season for this off-season, but want to make sure I'm on the right track

Using this model...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2282383&p=105417919&hilit=motivation+motivates#p105417919

1. Move Up/Down in the NBA Draft: I will incorporate this into my mock draft portion

2. Star requested a trade: Just looking over situations right now where a player would be considered a star... I have it as Trae Young and Kevin Durant wanting out

3. Contending team trying to get better: Most teams not listed below

4. Rebuilding team trying to add assets: Hawks, Bulls, Raptors, Jazz(ish... basically if Ainge gets a good enough offer, he'll take it) and Wizards.... mayyybbeee the Nets and Trail Blazers, but I see them as mostly status quo.

5. Get value from a fill-in involved in a previous trade: This will play out as the off-season plays out

6. Save money: Trail Blazers are really the only team that will need to make a money-saving move. They could get below the tax without shaking up the core (yes, including the vets) if they do something like RWIII for Nick Richards.

7. Fill a need: These kind of trades usually play out after free agency

===

Cap Space Teams

Pistons $64 Million == Overpaying front-loaded deals to DeRozan and Tobias to be their forwards

Thunder $28 Million == Signing Nic Claxton then involving themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price

Magic $43 Million == Overpay front-loaded deals to Tyus Jones and Malik Monk

76ers $57 Million == Kevin Durant for Paul Reed and picks then re-sign Buddy Hield

Spurs $23 Million == Trae Young for Keldon Johnson and picks

Raptors $30 Million == Involve themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price then re-sign Immanuel Quickley

Jazz $42 Million == Extend Lauri then involving themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price

I know I can't please everyone, but am I on the right track here? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting. Tell me how you get Orlando with $43 million. They have $104.5 million in active roster, plus cap holds of $43.3 million for Fulz, Okeke and Bitadze, and about $2.5 million for their FRP, which brings you to about $150 million. You can drop Isaac's $17.4 million, Ingles' $11 million and Houstan's $2 million to bring you down to about $120 million, or $21 million in space.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#25 » by NYG » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:12 am

islandboy53 wrote:
NYG wrote:I want to try to do a mock off-season for this off-season, but want to make sure I'm on the right track

Using this model...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2282383&p=105417919&hilit=motivation+motivates#p105417919

1. Move Up/Down in the NBA Draft: I will incorporate this into my mock draft portion

2. Star requested a trade: Just looking over situations right now where a player would be considered a star... I have it as Trae Young and Kevin Durant wanting out

4. Rebuilding team trying to add assets: Hawks, Bulls, Raptors, Jazz(ish... basically if Ainge gets a good enough offer, he'll take it) and Wizards.... mayyybbeee the Nets and Trail Blazers, but I see them as mostly status quo.

5. Get value from a fill-in involved in a previous trade: This will play out as the off-season plays out

6. Save money: Trail Blazers are really the only team that will need to make a money-saving move. They could get below the tax without shaking up the core (yes, including the vets) if they do something like RWIII for Nick Richards.

===

Cap Space Teams

Pistons $64 Million == Overpaying front-loaded deals to DeRozan and Tobias to be their forwards

Thunder $28 Million == Signing Nic Claxton then involving themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price

76ers $57 Million == Kevin Durant for Paul Reed and picks then re-sign Buddy Hield

Raptors $30 Million == Involve themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price then re-sign Immanuel Quickley

Jazz $42 Million == Extend Lauri then involving themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price

I know I can't please everyone, but am I on the right track here? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting. Tell me how you get Orlando with $43 million. They have $104.5 million in active roster, plus cap holds of $43.3 million for Fulz, Okeke and Bitadze, and about $2.5 million for their FRP, which brings you to about $150 million. You can drop Isaac's $17.4 million, Ingles' $11 million and Houstan's $2 million to bring you down to about $120 million, or $21 million in space.

You have them keeping Isaac, Ingles, Houstan, Fultz, Okeke and Goga then just operating over the cap? I could see that too and just use non tax MLE on best guard possible
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#26 » by NYG » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:26 am

jayu70 wrote:

Using this model...

4. [b]Rebuilding team trying to add assets: Hawks,[/b] Bulls, Raptors, Jazz(ish... basically if Ainge gets a good enough offer, he'll take it) and Wizards.... mayyybbeee the Nets and Trail Blazers, but I see them as mostly status quo.

Cap Space Teams

If the Hawks were interesting in a full scorched earth rebuild they'd be tanking right now to get the best 2024 pick possible. They are not.
Trae wants to be in Atlanta and from all reports him and Quin are in lock step with each other (not just from Shams but from local radio and local beat writers).
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yes, I know - things can change and are fluid...but as of now - no rebuild for the Hawks. They'd like to reconfigure the team around Trae and Jalen Johnson.

I know, I get it, but things can change. I just think in my gut looking it over, the Hawks new regime rebuilding makes sense. I was trying to come up with a retool that really improved the roster around Trae and just couldn't find anything that moves the needle.

For me to do the mock off-season, projecting a star or two that shakes free keeps it realistic and a fan base or two are going to be unhappy with the result. When I project forward, it feels like KD and Trae both make sense for different reasons.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#27 » by islandboy53 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:03 am

NYG wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

Using this model...

===

Cap Space Teams

You have them keeping Isaac, Ingles, Houstan, Fultz, Okeke and Goga then just operating over the cap? I could see that too and just use non tax MLE on best guard possible

Sure. Or use some of those pieces in a sign and trade for Monk or Trent or ...
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,642

Post#28 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:54 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
NYG wrote:
What does Orlando do with their remaining cap space?

This isn’t the offseason to go crazy in free agency. They most likely continue their tradition of rolling it over to 2025 with 1+1 deals.

There’s also a possibility they use their cap to absorb a high contract player like Trae/Garland w/o needing to send out as much salary.

“Willing”? :lol:

I still get killed on ORL trade board for my past desire for Poole. I thought he’d be leading the league in scoring (inefficiently, on a bad team, but still…) :banghead:

*EDIT- just caught your sarcasm :lol:
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#29 » by toooskies » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:38 pm

If I'm Detroit I'm not overpaying older guys on the way down, I'm overpaying younger guys who could emerge into something. I'd rather overpay OG, Okoro, Melton, Claxton, Hartenstein, Goga than DeRozan/Harris. Next year they could be underwhelming again and hope the ping pong balls align for Cooper Flagg.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#30 » by JKiddy » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:33 pm

It seems like BK is going to make a move. Who are they going to get either this off-season or next season? Does anyone know who it is other than D Mitchell?

Return to Trades and Transactions