Mock Off-Season: Early Rough Draft

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Mock Off-Season: Early Rough Draft 

Post#1 » by NYG » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:16 am

I want to try to do a mock off-season for this off-season, but want to make sure I'm on the right track

Using this model...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2282383&p=105417919&hilit=motivation+motivates#p105417919

1. Move Up/Down in the NBA Draft: I will incorporate this into my mock draft portion

2. Star requested a trade: Just looking over situations right now where a player would be considered a star... I have it as Trae Young and Kevin Durant wanting out

3. Contending team trying to get better: Most teams not listed below

4. Rebuilding team trying to add assets: Hawks, Bulls, Raptors, Jazz(ish... basically if Ainge gets a good enough offer, he'll take it) and Wizards.... mayyybbeee the Nets and Trail Blazers, but I see them as mostly status quo.

5. Get value from a fill-in involved in a previous trade: This will play out as the off-season plays out

6. Save money: Trail Blazers are really the only team that will need to make a money-saving move. They could get below the tax without shaking up the core (yes, including the vets) if they do something like RWIII for Nick Richards.

7. Fill a need: These kind of trades usually play out after free agency

===

Cap Space Teams

Pistons $64 Million == Overpaying front-loaded deals to DeRozan and Tobias to be their forwards

Thunder $28 Million == Signing Nic Claxton then involving themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price

Magic $43 Million == Overpay front-loaded deals to Tyus Jones and Malik Monk

76ers $57 Million == Kevin Durant for Paul Reed and picks then re-sign Buddy Hield

Spurs $23 Million == Trae Young for Keldon Johnson and picks

Raptors $30 Million == Involve themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price then re-sign Immanuel Quickley

Jazz $42 Million == Extend Lauri then involving themselves in trades they could provide help with for a price

I know I can't please everyone, but am I on the right track here? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
NYG
RealGM

Re: Mock Off-Season: Early Rough Draft 

Post#2 » by NYG » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:33 am

Does Toronto just opt to keep Bruce Brown and operate above the cap?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,903

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:37 am

NYG wrote:Does Toronto just opt to keep Bruce Brown and operate above the cap?

Yes, there are almost no benefits to them not doing so.

The simplest view point is:

Option A: Operate Over the cap, trade Bruce Brown for asset(s)
Option B: Operate Under the cap, sign a player worse than Brown and trade for Asset(s) or Use cap space to acquire an asset far less valuable than what Brown is worth.

This is the same if they want to win in 2024-2025 [I think they do]. Brown is better than any player they can sign for their cap space.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,765

Post#4 » by theBigLip » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:20 am

NYG wrote:
Pistons $64 Million == Overpaying front-loaded deals to DeRozan and Tobias to be their forwards

Nice post, this is what everyone is trying to guess what will happen.

As for my Pistons, I guess this is certainly a possibility. I was hoping for OG and Bridges, but very likely will get neither.

I think early playoff exits will shake a few things up as well.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,507

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:28 pm

Yeah, I agree Brown is picked up. I don’t see them chasing free agents, but they could try to steal Bridges or even go for an OG reunion by overpaying him..

But run it back sounds the most likely considering their pick debt will likely be paid. If they get to keep the pick, I think their offseason gets a lot more interesting.

I don’t see Philly getting KD. Realistically, I expect them to run it back as well.

But for Philly what about..

Buddy (3yr56) to Detroit or Orlando
Miles Bridges to Philly
Reed and a first to Charlotte.

Maybe 2nds instead of a first, maybe 2nds back to Philly or to Orlando.. fill in value to taste/fan base. I don’t know.

But Bridges probably leaves room to keep Harris and Melton? And Charlotte would do it because Philly can renounce Harris and sign Miles anyways, so get the asset.

Seems fun.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,113

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:50 pm

I hope Orlando does not do an overpay for Tyus Jones. to me, he looks like an average at best PG, which would look better on Orlando only because we dont have a good PG. I can see the value of Monk and it would likely take a big deal to get him out of Sacramento, not sure he wants to leave.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 734

Post#7 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:57 pm

The Bridges speculation is pretty stupid, he sucks at everything a contender would want.

Then again, it's pretty funny how the Hornets were one of the worst teams in NBA history this year and then three playoff teams decided to get their bad players and now are shocked those bad players are bad.

"Wait, you're telling me PJ Washington and Gordon Hayward are bad at basketball???"

No idea how the players on the Hornets got so overrated, they basically all suck and that's why the team sucks, lol.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#8 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:07 pm

tiderulz wrote:I hope Orlando does not do an overpay for Tyus Jones. to me, he looks like an average at best PG, which would look better on Orlando only because we dont have a good PG. I can see the value of Monk and it would likely take a big deal to get him out of Sacramento, not sure he wants to leave.

At the very least, I wouldn't overpay both of them. Pay one of them to be your PG and keep Black to be the 3rd guard in the rotation even if you start Black to be with both playmaking forwards and bring Tyus or Monk off the bench.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
NYG
RealGM

Post#9 » by NYG » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:55 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I hope Orlando does not do an overpay for Tyus Jones. to me, he looks like an average at best PG, which would look better on Orlando only because we dont have a good PG. I can see the value of Monk and it would likely take a big deal to get him out of Sacramento, not sure he wants to leave.

At the very least, I wouldn't overpay both of them. Pay one of them to be your PG and keep Black to be the 3rd guard in the rotation even if you start Black to be with both playmaking forwards and bring Tyus or Monk off the bench.

What does Orlando do with their remaining cap space?
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,456

Post#10 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:06 pm

NYG wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

This isn’t the offseason to go crazy in free agency. They most likely continue their tradition of rolling it over to 2025 with 1+1 deals.

There’s also a possibility they use their cap to absorb a high contract player like Trae/Garland w/o needing to send out as much salary.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:15 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
NYG wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

This isn’t the offseason to go crazy in free agency. They most likely continue their tradition of rolling it over to 2025 with 1+1 deals.

There’s also a possibility they use their cap to absorb a high contract player like Trae/Garland w/o needing to send out as much salary.

If they want to absorb a high contract player, I'd be willing to send them Jordan Poole.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
NYG
RealGM

Post#12 » by NYG » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:22 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
NYG wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

What type of players would they need after signing Monk?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,937

Post#13 » by jayu70 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:30 pm

NYG wrote:I want to try to do a mock off-season for this off-season, but want to make sure I'm on the right track

Using this model...

2. Star requested a trade: Just looking over situations right now where a player would be considered a star... I have it as Trae Young and Kevin Durant wanting out

4. [b]Rebuilding team trying to add assets: Hawks,[/b] Bulls, Raptors, Jazz(ish... basically if Ainge gets a good enough offer, he'll take it) and Wizards.... mayyybbeee the Nets and Trail Blazers, but I see them as mostly status quo.

Cap Space Teams

Spurs $23 Million == Trae Young for Keldon Johnson and picks

I know I can't please everyone, but am I on the right track here? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

If the Hawks were interesting in a full scorched earth rebuild they'd be tanking right now to get the best 2024 pick possible. They are not.
Trae wants to be in Atlanta and from all reports him and Quin are in lock step with each other (not just from Shams but from local radio and local beat writers).
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yes, I know - things can change and are fluid...but as of now - no rebuild for the Hawks. They'd like to reconfigure the team around Trae and Jalen Johnson.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#14 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:43 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
NYG wrote:

If they want to absorb a high contract player, I'd be willing to send them Jordan Poole.

Key words: “like Trae/Garland” :lol:

Poole is nearing untradeable status (if not already).

If Detroit is really interested in Lavine maybe just maybe they can convince themselves in Poole. I really don’t see any other team that would be interested in that contract.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#15 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:59 pm

NYG wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
NYG wrote:

Orlando has a pretty set roster, if they renounce Fultz/Harris/Okeke they’ll have roughly $30m in cap.

Assuming Monk gets somewhere in the realm of 4 yr./78M

That leaves a little over 10M to resign Goga.

They will come into 2025 w/ Wagner, Isaac, Ingles expiring (36M). However, both Suggs/Franz will be eligible for max extensions. Paolo quickly after.

Real important decisions will be made this off season imo.

Monk/Black
Suggs/Anthony/Howard
Wagner/Ingles/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac
Carter/Wagner/Bitadze

*this also includes 2024 FRP which will spend most of his time in the g league.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,924

Post#16 » by ChettheJet » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:04 pm

If I read this correctly. The play in Bulls have a lot balls that could end up in the air in #4 none of the others really apply

The much improved play of Coby White and Ayo Dosunmu allows them to change things up
Zach Lavine will come back, maybe with the attitude of playing the style of ball that the Bulls have been winning with of late. Namely less iso ball, more passing to the open man and getting 27+ APG. If he wants out, his people need to find a deal.

Do they resign Demar DeRozan? He gets a year older every year and how much does he want? What team would send the Bulls something of value in a S&T? Would that be better than letting him go for cap space?
Do they want to retain Patrick Williams and do they match an offer that another team might give the RFA? He could move on and become another an embarrassment like Lauri Markkanen on a team that gives him some freedom.
I'm the only one not ruling out that Lonzo Ball recovers to play. He's not going to forget how to play and with the way they've adopted to win games, he fits right in.
If there's a market for Nikola Vucevic do they take an offer and resign Andre Drummond to start?
Maybe someone wants to pay the price to get Alex Caruso. He brings defense for sure but if they Keep Williams, they have Dosunmu, Carter and Craig strong on D, Phillips getting experience they could see what kind of size and/or shooting they can get for AC.

If PORT decides to get in the trade market, I really think they should start by either making a small deal with the Bulls to get the rights to their pick back or include them in a larger deal that gets their pick back and gives them the freedom to use their picks in trades.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,765

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:12 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

If Detroit is really interested in Lavine maybe just maybe they can convince themselves in Poole. I really don’t see any other team that would be interested in that contract.

I don’t think Detroit is interested in either. I know there were lots of LaVine rumors, but I think that was Chicago spreading rumors to drum up interest, which with that contract, there was none.

I haven’t watched Poole much this year, but it seems Draymond’s punch ruined him. In 2022 Poole was winning playoff games. Now less than two years later, he is extremely overpaid. Not sure if he’s salvageable. Does Washington attach assets to move him?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#18 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:20 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
NYG wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

Orlando has a pretty set roster, if they renounce Fultz/Harris/Okeke they’ll have roughly $30m in cap.

They will come into 2025 w/ Wagner, Isaac, Ingles expiring (36M). However, both Suggs/Franz will be eligible for max extensions. Paolo quickly after.

Monk/Black
Suggs/Anthony/Howard
Wagner/Ingles/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac
Carter/Wagner/Bitadze

Is ORL really going to pay their 3rd string C 10M? Also, is Goga going to be cool with being C3?

I think he’s gone for sure unless they move off WCJ or Mo.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#19 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:22 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
NYG wrote:

Monk/Black
Suggs/Anthony/Howard
Wagner/Ingles/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac
Carter/Wagner/Bitadze

Is ORL really going to pay their 3rd string C 10M? Also, is Goga going to be cool with being C3?

I think he’s gone for sure unless they move off WCJ or Mo.

I said Orlando will have a little over $10m to resign Goga, not Orlando is going to give him $10m annually.

Goga is only C3 on paper. Mosley likes to start him when the matchup calls for it and is an important injury reserve for often injured Carter. He has a true role on this team and I think that’s all that matters to Goga (aside from being paid fairly which I’m confident Orlando will do).

I think he’s gone for sure unless they move off WCJ or Mo

Not sure I agree. Orlando will not lose the asset for nothing. They have always been methodical about these things. Not saying Carter will not be traded, but don’t think Goga staying is contingent to that.

Again, a lot of important decisions will be made this summer for Orlando and their future.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#20 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:28 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

I don’t think Detroit is interested in either. I know there were lots of LaVine rumors, but I think that was Chicago spreading rumors to drum up interest, which with that contract, there was none.

I haven’t watched Poole much this year, but it seems Draymond’s punch ruined him. In 2022 Poole was winning playoff games. Now less than two years later, he is extremely overpaid. Not sure if he’s salvageable. Does Washington attach assets to move him?

I don’t see why Washington attaches assets as they’re not trying to win and Poole helps in that regard.

It’s quite literally another Beal situation, massively overpaid and near untradeable. Poole will play out his contract in Washington if I was a betting man.

Return to Trades and Transactions