Off-Season Deal: Brown + 2026 2nd for Huerter + Duarte

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Off-Season Deal: Brown + 2026 2nd for Huerter + Duarte 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:45 pm

Ill offer this deal for:
-Raptors get a replacement for Gary Trent Jr. in Huerter and Duarte gives them a controllable asset with further backcourt depth as they continue to add youth
-Kings get a versatile piece off the bench in Brown while clearing up long term cap committed to re-sign Malik Monk

To Sacramento
-Bruce Brown (1 year, $23 million)
-2026 Toronto 2nd round pick

To Toronto
-Kevin Huerter (2 years, $34.8 million)
-Chris Duarte (1 year, $5.9 million plus Q.O.)

Why?
-The Raptors use Brown to replace Gary Trent and swap him for Duarte as Huerter can start and Duarte can come off bench.

Quickly/1st?/FA?
Huerter/Dick/Duarte
Barrett/Agbaji/McDaniels
Barnes/Olynyk/2nd?
Poellt/Boucher/1st?

-The Kings add Brown and have flexibility to re-sign Monk with bird rights.

Fox/Mitchell/FA?
Monk/Brown/Jones
Murray/Vezenkov/Ellis
Barnes/Lyles/FA?
Sabonis/FA?/2nd?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Re: Off-Season Deal: Brown + 2026 2nd for Huerter + Duarte 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 pm

Huerter seems redundant with Dick as a movement shooter who utilizes their shooting to set-up the rest of their game as secondary playmakers and ball-handlers.

I don't really see Brown being worth his contract, which means it is likely Toronto declines the TO. I would like to see Toronto keep Brown on that number, operate over the cap, and try to utilize the contract to take on someone else and get value in the process. I don't think Huerter is the player to identify and pursue though.

I like the target of Milwaukee with Portis/Connaughton more than this. I also think swapping Brown for Brogdon makes sense in Portland.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:05 pm

Colbinii wrote:Huerter seems redundant with Dick as a movement shooter who utilizes their shooting to set-up the rest of their game as secondary playmakers and ball-handlers.

I don't really see Brown being worth his contract, which means it is likely Toronto declines the TO. I would like to see Toronto keep Brown on that number, operate over the cap, and try to utilize the contract to take on someone else and get value in the process. I don't think Huerter is the player to identify and pursue though.

I like the target of Milwaukee with Portis/Connaughton more than this. I also think swapping Brown for Brogdon makes sense in Portland.

Well I look at Huerter relative to GTJ. IF Raps lose GTJ in free agency, then Huerter is a reasonable replacement in using the Brown T.O. as well as adding Duarte.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#4 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:18 pm

Colbinii wrote:Huerter seems redundant with Dick.

"You can never have too much Dick on your roster" - someone's ex-wife
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#5 » by bpcox05 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:04 pm

Interesting. I’d probably do it as a Kings fan but might offer up Mitchell instead of Duarte to balance the roster a bit more since Fox, Monk, Ellis, and Brown can all play the point.

Brown gives us another versatile defender who can’t be targeted come playoff time and we get a pretty attractive 2nd round pick out of it. I’d probably go with a rotation of:

Fox (34) / Monk (14)
Ellis (26) / Monk (16) / Brown (6)
Murray (28) / Brown (20)
Barnes (26) / Lyles (18) / Murray (4)
Sabonis (34) / Len (14)
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#6 » by islandboy53 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:35 am

Bentley1225 wrote:Ill offer this deal for:
-Raptors get a replacement for Gary Trent Jr. in Huerter and Duarte gives them a controllable asset with further backcourt depth as they continue to add youth
-Kings get a versatile piece off the bench in Brown while clearing up long term cap committed to re-sign Malik Monk

To Sacramento
-Bruce Brown (1 year, $23 million)
-2026 Toronto 2nd round pick

To Toronto
-Kevin Huerter (2 years, $34.8 million)
-Chris Duarte (1 year, $5.9 million plus Q.O.)

Why?
-The Raptors use Brown to replace Gary Trent and swap him for Duarte as Huerter can start and Duarte can come off bench.

Quickly/1st?/FA?
Huerter/Dick/Duarte
Barrett/Agbaji/McDaniels
Barnes/Olynyk/2nd?
Poellt/Boucher/1st?

-The Kings add Brown and have flexibility to re-sign Monk with bird rights.

Fox/Mitchell/FA?
Monk/Brown/Jones
Murray/Vezenkov/Ellis
Barnes/Lyles/FA?
Sabonis/FA?/2nd?

Toronto is in asset accumulation mode including picks, so I don't see them giving up a pick to get Duarte, who we don't need (Dick, Barrett, Agbaji). At the same time, you can likely keep Trent for the same money as Huerter, maybe a bit less. So, bottom line, I don't see Toronto doing this. Brown will move, but not here.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#7 » by pillwenney » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:36 pm

1000% yes from me. I'd even send the 2nd the other way and/or swap in Mitchell for Duarte.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by islandboy53 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:36 pm

pillwenney wrote:1000% yes from me. I'd even send the 2nd the other way and/or swap in Mitchell for Duarte.

That works better for me. Send along the Portland 25 2nd and Mitchell, and we have a deal.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:58 am

Colbinii wrote:Huerter seems redundant with Dick as a movement shooter who utilizes their shooting to set-up the rest of their game as secondary playmakers and ball-handlers.

I don't think Brown is worth his 2024-25 salary, unless someone makes them a great offer before they have to decide on declining his option, I'd think they'll decline it.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Post#10 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:05 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:

I don't think Brown is worth his 2024-25 salary, unless someone makes them a great offer before they have to decide on declining his option, I'd think they'll decline it.

Toronto may benefit from operating over the cap in free agency.

If this is the case, keeping Brown makes sense. At worst, he is salary matching.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:13 am

Colbinii wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Toronto may benefit from operating over the cap in free agency.

If this is the case, keeping Brown makes sense. At worst, he is salary matching.

I didn't like the contract the Pacers gave Brown last summer. It seemed to be way too much money, but the team option for the 2nd year made it a tradeable asset and helped them get Siakam now if they can resign Pascal it looks smart. I'm on record saying that I thought he would sign with Philly but he seems to like playing for the Pacers. They can hope he resigns because they gave up a 2026 #1 as part of the deal.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,763

Post#12 » by MessiahUjiri » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:37 am

The pick is going the wrong way here.

Raptors need an incentive to trade Brown. Otherwise they can bring him back and get more than Huerter.

I do like Browns fit on Sacramento quite a bit. His defense can fit well in their starting lineup, and he seems to be most dangerous playing next to stars when he can do the dirty work.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,715

Post#13 » by shrink » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:19 am

Please include first names or teams in titles for common names like “Brown.”
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,196

Post#14 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:01 am

Huerter is very redundant with Gradey Dick and Duarte is okay as a player but nothing great. IMHO Toronto should pair Brown plus the Indy pick for a better SG option who that is idk right now
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
islandboy53
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by islandboy53 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:59 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Huerter is very redundant with Gradey Dick and Duarte is okay as a player but nothing great. IMHO Toronto should pair Brown plus the Indy pick for a better SG option who that is idk right now

THe Raptors were looking for a pick+ coming back for Brown at the trade deadline. I fully expect them to have the same approach this summer.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,986

Post#16 » by Apz » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:20 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Huerter is very redundant with Gradey Dick and Duarte is okay as a player but nothing great. IMHO Toronto should pair Brown plus the Indy pick for a better SG option who that is idk right now

THe Raptors were looking for a pick+ coming back for Brown at the trade deadline. I fully expect them to have the same approach this summer.

So they will pick up that overpayed option and thne sit on him thru the season? Cause they are never getting pick for him
islandboy53
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by islandboy53 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:42 pm

Apz wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

So they will pick up that overpayed option and thne sit on him thru the season? Cause they are never getting pick for him

It remains to be seen what Brown fetches this summer. Offers at the TDL that we're aware of included Fournier's expiring and "draft capital" (probably a 24 FRP) from the Knicks, and Olynyk and Agbaji from Utah. He'll be moved. Picks will come back. They may be seconds, but picks will come back.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,583

Post#18 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:52 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
Apz wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

It remains to be seen what Brown fetches this summer. Offers at the TDL that we're aware of included Fournier's expiring and "draft capital" (probably a 24 FRP) from the Knicks, and Olynyk and Agbaji from Utah. He'll be moved. Picks will come back. They may be seconds, but picks will come back.

If Toronto turned down a 1st, they were poorly run at the time.
If New York offered a 1st, they were poorly run at the time.

Return to Trades and Transactions