Make Your Best Offer: Anfernee Simons

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 626

Re: Make Your Best Offer: Anfernee Simons 

Post#81 » by AaronB » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:18 am

Myth wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Enjoy watching the Blazers lose 60 games per year

You can stop trolling everytime there is a Simons to Magic discussion. We get it. You don’t want him traded to your team.

Only trolling I saw was Black plus 2 firsts.

Edit

One more thing: every criticism I have of SImons would melt to nothing if he just made a little effort.

He is clearly athletic enough to be even a below-average defender.

That he is sitting on the bottom of the EPM defensive rating in the NBA and has for multiple years in his very short career says more bad than anything I could write.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,491

Post#82 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:49 am

That’s not trolling.

Simons is not worth a recent lotto pick and 2 additional FRP and never will be.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DiegoChara
Junior
And1: 407

Post#83 » by DiegoChara » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:36 am

AaronB wrote:
Myth wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Enjoy watching the Blazers lose 60 games per year

You can stop trolling everytime there is a Simons to Magic discussion. We get it. You don’t want him traded to your team.

Edit

One more thing: every criticism I have of SImons would melt to nothing if he just made a little effort.

That he is sitting on the bottom of the EPM defensive rating in the NBA and has for multiple years in his very short career says more bad than anything I could write.

You’d think a fan of a team that very recently was also one of the worst in the league would have a little more sympathy than to be throwing unprovoked cheap shots like “enjoy watching the blazers lose 60 game per year.”

Some people are just tools though.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#84 » by AaronB » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:06 am

DiegoChara wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Myth wrote:You can stop trolling everytime there is a Simons to Magic discussion. We get it. You don’t want him traded to your team.

Edit

You’d think a fan of a team that very recently was also one of the worst in the league would have a little more sympathy than to be throwing unprovoked cheap shots like “enjoy watching the blazers lose 60 game per year.”

Some people are just tools though.

You are correct.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,116

Post#85 » by Laimbeer » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:16 pm

2024 FRP (#3), Collins, Graham.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#86 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:30 pm

Laimbeer wrote:2024 FRP (#3), Collins, Graham.

If that offer is on the table (it shouldn’t be), POR needs to take it.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DiegoChara
Junior
And1: 407

Post#87 » by DiegoChara » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:12 am

JRoy wrote:

Yeah, as poorly regarded as this draft class is, (and nobody seems to be wavering on that as the draft gets closer), the blazers would still have to accept that offer I think.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,546

Post#88 » by Myth » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:34 am

DiegoChara wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Yeah, as poorly regarded as this draft class is, (and nobody seems to be wavering on that as the draft gets closer), the blazers would still have to accept that offer I think.

Yeah, without hesitation. This is a bad draft class at least according to reputation, but that doesn’t mean there is no talent.
wemby
Senior
And1: 322

Post#89 » by wemby » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:37 pm

Simons is getting WAY overvalued around here, he's a good player but undersized shooting guards who can't defend aren't the most sought after archetype in the NBA, or the hardest to find.
NYG wrote:Anfernee Simons for Keldon Johnson and '25 Hawks 1st

It's all fun when discussing hypothetical trades on a message board, but in the real world there's no way Simons gets you back an unprotected pick in a good draft, that's projected to go in the lottery. Completely unrealistic.
BlazersBroncos wrote:Simons for Sochan, 2025 CHI FRP (10 / 8 / 8), few SRP

Shoot first combo guards are much easier to come by than 20 y.o. 6'9" versatile forward who are already really good defensively, let alone adding a projected lottery pick on top. Easy pass.
wemby
Senior
And1: 322

Post#90 » by wemby » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:50 pm

It's a joke, right? If Simons was worthy of that, Portland would be better off keeping him and sending Scoot packing.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,822

Post#91 » by Fitz303 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:20 pm

wemby wrote:

It's a joke, right? If Simons was worthy of that, Portland would be better off keeping him and sending Scoot packing.

Don't tell JRoy but I wouldn't be shocked if that's exactly what happened. I think Portland's FO loves Ant, and sees him as a lead guard, not a SG. His pick n roll chemistry with Ayton was getting very good in the 2nd half of the season as well. If they don't see massive improvement from Scoot next season, I could definitely see them moving him, and allowing Simons to take the PG position for the future.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#92 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:42 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
wemby wrote:

Don't tell JRoy but I wouldn't be shocked if that's exactly what happened. I think Portland's FO loves Ant, and sees him as a lead guard, not a SG. His pick n roll chemistry with Ayton was getting very good in the 2nd half of the season as well. If they don't see massive improvement from Scoot next season, I could definitely see them moving him, and allowing Simons to take the PG position for the future.

Ideally POR would move both and look for a lead guard in the draft this year or next.
Edrees wrote:

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Post#93 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:54 pm

JRoy wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:
wemby wrote:It's a joke, right? If Simons was worthy of that, Portland would be better off keeping him and sending Scoot packing.

Ideally POR would move both and look for a lead guard in the draft this year or next.

This is the way - but no team will cut bait on a #3 pick after a single season. Scoot has 24/25 to show tremendous improvement and if he still is a stinker we shouldnt wait for Y3.

Simons would fit well if Sharpe was a lockdown defender and creator - but he simply isnt. If we want to unlock Sharpe we need a PG that can get him looks in the Garland, CP3 mold. Simons fits on certain teams with ballhandling swings (LAL w/ LBJ, ORL w/ Paolo + Franz, SAS w/ Wemby + Sochan, etc) but in PDX we dont have those guys.

I am not married to a single player in PDX. Wouldnt care if the whole roster was taken in a expansion draft and we had to start from scratch. Maybe Camara but you cant be married to a 7-8th man.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#94 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:02 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:

This is the way - but no team will cut bait on a #3 pick after a single season. Scoot has 24/25 to show tremendous improvement and if he still is a stinker we shouldnt wait for Y3.

Simons would fit well if Sharpe was a lockdown defender and creator - but he simply isnt. If we want to unlock Sharpe we need a PG that can get him looks in the Garland, CP3 mold. Simons fits on certain teams with ballhandling swings (LAL w/ LBJ, ORL w/ Paolo + Franz, SAS w/ Wemby + Sochan, etc) but in PDX we dont have those guys.

I am not married to a single player in PDX. Wouldnt care if the whole roster was taken in a expansion draft and we had to start from scratch. Maybe Camara but you cant be married to a 7-8th man.

Agree with almost all of this, except I would keep Sharpe.

Not just because I like his game but because TOR is jonesing for him like Gollum for the ring.
Edrees wrote:

Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,546

Post#95 » by Myth » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:18 pm

JRoy wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:
wemby wrote:It's a joke, right? If Simons was worthy of that, Portland would be better off keeping him and sending Scoot packing.

Scoot’s value may be too low right now. Hopefully he can improve significantly, whether it is for keeping him or trading him.

As for Simons, I’m good moving him even if he is our best guard due to his archetype. He is a guy you add to a decent win now defensive team in need of shooting, not somebody you build around.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,116

Post#96 » by Laimbeer » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:39 am

How does his value compare to Ivey?
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 446

Post#97 » by Magicman125 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:31 am

Laimbeer wrote:How does his value compare to Ivey?

I think he'd return more than Ivey by a pretty considerable amount.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#98 » by AaronB » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:32 am

It's interesting that Blazer fans are so down on Scoot.

Whenever I saw Scoot play this year (not as often as I like), I liked what he was doing.

He played pretty well against the Magic this last week.

More importantly, it did not look like he was scared of the moment.

I would be bullish on Scoot long-term. I think he will be OK.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,850

Post#99 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:06 pm

Not all Blazers fans are down on Scoot. He needs to work on his shooting and touch around the rim. But he's also playing for a headh coach who is not good, we've had major injury issues all year (Scoot included, though nothing major, just a lot of minor issues), we've had instances of not only three guard lineups but four guard lineups (and that's with two other points on the floor).

I don't feel like he was put in a position to succeed this year. My hope is we'll see a Simons trade and a Chauncey dismissal. Scoot's a hardworking kid who has done nothing but take responsibility and talks about how he knows he needs to improve.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,960

Post#100 » by Tim Lehrbach » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:14 pm

AaronB wrote:It's interesting that Blazer fans are so down on Scoot.

Whenever I saw Scoot play this year (not as often as I like), I liked what he was doing.

He played pretty well against the Magic this last week.

More importantly, it did not look like he was scared of the moment.

I would be bullish on Scoot long-term. I think he will be OK.

I think Scoot will be OK, too. As in, an OK player. Not an above-average one, let alone a star.

I agree with you about his attitude: he plays with confidence and tenacity, and the only reports we've gotten of his demeanor make him out to be a good teammate and a humble, hard worker. I like the guy a lot.

But the results so far have been atrocious. He can't shoot or finish inside, he has to monopolize the ball to initiate offense, and he's a turnover machine. The Blazers are dead-last in shooting, 28th in turnovers, and 29th in ORTG. His individual stats suck. His defense exhibits effort but little impact.

He's not good. He can work on the turnover economy and defense to become a respectable two-way game manager type point guard, but his scoring and playmaking show no signs of him developing into an elite point. He projects as a bench player or low-impact starter until he demonstrates otherwise.

Neither is Sharpe good. But at least you can squint and see the tools for a big jump in his game, if he works at it and gets some disciplined coaching.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007

Return to Trades and Transactions