Where I have everyone tax-wise: Which owners aren't okay with where they are?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Re: Where I have everyone tax-wise: Which owners aren't okay with where they are? 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm

tester551 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I guess it's playoff dependent, but if it looks like Okoro is getting an offer in excess of the Q.O., I'm calling the Blazers and seeing if we can take Thybulle into a TPE created by an Okoro S&T.

What would you offer for Thybulle in this scenario?

Cap space and maybe a second.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tacos
Senior
And1: 385

Re: Where I have everyone tax-wise: Which owners aren't okay with where they are? 

Post#22 » by tacos » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:36 pm

From the blazers prospective when the right move is there make if... could even wait till the deadline
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:45 pm

tacos wrote:From the blazers prospective when the right move is there make if... could even wait till the deadline

That's not how they calculate the tax anymore. It's pro-rata over the course of the season and non tax teams have to get to the salary floor before the season starts.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#24 » by NYG » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:06 am

Here are the teams I question where they are and hopefully fans of those teams could provide better insight to their ownership...

Under 1st Apron/Over Tax
Pelicans
Trail Blazers

I have Warriors as being able to work around the tax, Gilbert being okay paying it and the Mavs trying to get below if they can do it creatively. I have Portland as definitely trying to get below and don't know on the Pelicans

Over 2nd Apron
Heat
Timberwolves

Even with a playoff flop, I don't see ownership reducing costs for the other teams. Genuinely don't know about these two so fill me in.

Can fans of New Orleans, Miami and Minnesota let me know if their ownership has a tolerance for the category they're in?
NYG
RealGM

Post#25 » by NYG » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:32 am

NYG wrote:Here are the teams I question where they are and hopefully fans of those teams could provide better insight to their ownership...

Under 1st Apron/Over Tax
Pelicans
Trail Blazers

I have Warriors as being able to work around the tax, Gilbert being okay paying it and the Mavs trying to get below if they can do it creatively. I have Portland as definitely trying to get below and don't know on the Pelicans

Over 2nd Apron
Heat
Timberwolves

Even with a playoff flop, I don't see ownership reducing costs for the other teams. Genuinely don't know about these two so fill me in.

Can fans of New Orleans, Miami and Minnesota let me know if their ownership has a tolerance for the category they're in?

Actually if New Orleans lets Valanciunas go and defers the Lakers pick, they should be below the tax.
NYG
RealGM

Post#26 » by NYG » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:58 am

Jerami Grant for Kyle Kuzma?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#27 » by jayjaysee » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:30 am

NYG wrote:
NYG wrote:Here are the teams I question where they are and hopefully fans of those teams could provide better insight to their ownership...

Under 1st Apron/Over Tax
Pelicans
Trail Blazers

Over 2nd Apron
Heat
Timberwolves

Actually if New Orleans lets Valanciunas go and defers the Lakers pick, they should be below the tax.

With Ingram and Trey getting raises the following season, I think NOP likely ducks the tax next season. If the team thinks they can compete, it’s worth starting the clock, so if they did one of those CJM for better fitting star make over trades or something like that.. Sure, pay the tax. But if it’s run it back and work around the edges, na.

Dump Nance to either keep Jonas or replace him and then spend a few million on a good backup big using part of MLE. Say Nance and the NOP 2024 first for WCJ. Leaves you a decent amount of space from the tax to fill bench up.
NYG
RealGM

Post#28 » by NYG » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:24 pm

shrink wrote:.

Woild new ownership pay the second apron?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,685

Post#29 » by shrink » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:45 pm

NYG wrote:
shrink wrote:.

Woild new ownership pay the second apron?

We can’t say with 100% certainty that any owner would, but there is no talk whatsoever in Minnesota about the new owners trying to cut payroll for next season. It is a rare thing for the Timberwolves franchise to be this good - they will end with the second best record in franchise history. This has come from ownership’s demonstrated willingness to spend to add or keep talent, trading for Gobert on a max deal, extensions for Ant, Towns, McDaniels and Naz - even paying Tim Conley big bucks to come over from Denver. I doubt the first move with full ownership for ARod and Lore would be to reverse course after a rare successful season.

Moreover, most suspect that ARod and Lore will use this rare moment of goodwill to try to get some public financing to help build a new arena. MIN has the second oldest arena in the NBA (behind MSG), and it hurts the valuation of the team and the ability to produce revenues. For example, last year, with a playoff-bound team and an exciting, young Anthony Edwards, the Wolves produced $100 mil less in revenues than the AVERAGE NBA team! A non-repeater team at the second apron is roughly $20 mil over the lux, so they will pay $45 mil in luxury taxes (plus the $20 in salary). It is likely that if the new owners pay that additional $65, they will get more than that back in public financing for a new arena, and will generate at least NBA average revenues in the future plus increase the value of the franchise, if they want to sell future shares later.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#30 » by Sactowndog » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:53 am

NYG wrote:

Under 1st Apron/Over Tax
Pelicans
Trail Blazers

Over 2nd Apron
Heat
Timberwolves

How can they let Valanciunas go?

They have no bulk at center with players like Jokic and Sabonis in their side.

They have so much money invested in the wings they are a bit unbalanced.
36M Ingram
36M Zion
12M Jones

They have Murphy who they have 5M for next year and then they are going to have to pay him big money too. That assumes they let Marshal go.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#31 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:36 am

jayjaysee wrote:For Golden State.. I think they should look to add talent again this offseason.

Paul, 2025 unprotected (or top 4 for one year*), 2027 top 10 protected(x2) should be on the table. Moody as well..

It’s not Lauri without Kuminga, but it is Murray. It’s too much for Grant.. Paul matches Vucevic and Caruso if you want to go a different direction. There’s probably a WCJ/Cole trade in a similar mold.

Something. I wouldn’t just be running the team back and ducking the tax when Curry still looks to have an all-NBA year/run in him..

I think they let Paul go and tax advantage of that unguaranteed contract to get out of the tax. That gives them room to offer Klay a 3 yr deal so he can end his career as a Warrior. $10 million per year and final year with a partial guarantee say $3 million. Then they can still make a deal and try to get some additional talent, but there is no point in being in the tax if you're barely making the playin games.

I also think they'd like to move wiggins because they have to resign Kuminga and they need some young talent infusion the other night the Pacers ran their legs off, W's looked raggety at times in that game.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#32 » by ChettheJet » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:00 pm

The Bulls aren't going to go over any limit or into any tax/penalty just to placate the fans and still end up in the play in or just get to the playoffs. The owners have said they would spend the money and take the hit if it was to get over the hump. I believe that they would take on somebody for big money if it was to get into the top 3 in the east or jump ahead to the #1 seed. They pretty much know how much more revenue they can get by winning it all and that's at least equal to whatever they spend or get taxed.

They aren't one player away from anything right now, so not to worry.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#33 » by jayjaysee » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:01 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:For Golden State.. I think they should look to add talent again this offseason.

Paul, 2025 unprotected (or top 4 for one year*), 2027 top 10 protected(x2) should be on the table. Moody as well..

It’s not Lauri without Kuminga, but it is Murray. It’s too much for Grant.. Paul matches Vucevic and Caruso if you want to go a different direction. There’s probably a WCJ/Cole trade in a similar mold.

Something. I wouldn’t just be running the team back and ducking the tax when Curry still looks to have an all-NBA year/run in him..

I think they let Paul go and tax advantage of that unguaranteed contract to get out of the tax. That gives them room to offer Klay a 3 yr deal so he can end his career as a Warrior. $10 million per year and final year with a partial guarantee say $3 million. Then they can still make a deal and try to get some additional talent, but there is no point in being in the tax if you're barely making the playin games.

I also think they'd like to move wiggins because they have to resign Kuminga and they need some young talent infusion the other night the Pacers ran their legs off, W's looked raggety at times in that game.

Yeah, I see you’re in the majority with your opinion.. I just would hope GS tries to add talent before Curry declines. Less worried about tax, just fielding a team that gives Curry/Dray a chance to be fresh for 2 playoffs runs.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,717

Post#34 » by Ell Curry » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:55 pm

Takeaway here is that Herro and Simons might be gettable for fairly cheap for some team that will slightly overpay because they're a good fit and young, so Orlando for sure with their defensively strong guards and lack of shooting. Maybe Rockets and Spurs go after one of them too.
Where's the D?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,837

Post#35 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:15 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:If I'm a Sixers fan, I ask myself where did it go so wrong that my team 10 years after the Process is still a cap-space team.

Right. A mediocre outcome so far. Nailed it with Embiid, but missed on Simmons, trading JRue, Okafer, Fultz and added free agents and traded for max players that didn’t fit…Harris, Harden.

Its going to be time for Process part 2 in a a couple years.

I mean they aren't still a cap space team. They are potentially a cap space team again. Celtics also famously used cap space on multiple occasions for players who didn't pan out. And traded for a max guy who worked out worse than Harden. But petty partisan attacks are more fun than facts. This is BK's bit, its lame. Let's not join him.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#36 » by brackdan70 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:If I'm a Sixers fan, I ask myself where did it go so wrong that my team 10 years after the Process is still a cap-space team.

Right. A mediocre outcome so far. Nailed it with Embiid, but missed on Simmons, trading JRue, Okafer, Fultz and added free agents and traded for max players that didn’t fit…Harris, Harden.

I mean they aren't still a cap space team. They are potentially a cap space team again. Celtics also famously used cap space on multiple occasions for players who didn't pan out. And traded for a max guy who worked out worse than Harden. But petty partisan attacks are more fun than facts. This is BK's bit, its lame. Let's not join him.

Yeah for sure the Cs had some misses as well with Hayward and Kyrie.

I think you are getting a bit defensive here though. BKs thought is valid and not really a partisan attack. The process has not proceeded. Still hope though if they can use that cap space effectively. Will be interesting to see how the summer shakes out.
Sign here
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:01 am

jayjaysee wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Yeah, I see you’re in the majority with your opinion.. I just would hope GS tries to add talent before Curry declines. Less worried about tax, just fielding a team that gives Curry/Dray a chance to be fresh for 2 playoffs runs.

I don't know what it would take for the W's to get back to the top in the west with Minn, and Denver as good as they are and the Clippers are pretty loaded if they can stay healthy.

I really think they don't move CP but just renounce him and try to trade Wiggins. Dre's contract is pretty bad too but with his baggage I don't know who would want him or what you might have to send out with him to get him traded.
Texas Chuck

Post#38 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:21 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Right. A mediocre outcome so far. Nailed it with Embiid, but missed on Simmons, trading JRue, Okafer, Fultz and added free agents and traded for max players that didn’t fit…Harris, Harden.

I think you are getting a bit defensive here though. BKs thought is valid and not really a partisan attack. The process has not proceeded. Still hope though if they can use that cap space effectively. Will be interesting to see how the summer shakes out.

I mean if the standard is a title, then 25 teams have failed the past decade, not just The Process. And he intentionally misrepresented their situation by saying they are still a cap space team as if they have tried and failed for a decade to build a team with free agency.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#39 » by brackdan70 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:24 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I mean if the standard is a title, then 25 teams have failed the past decade, not just The Process. And he intentionally misrepresented their situation by saying they are still a cap space team as if they have tried and failed for a decade to build a team with free agency.

They put themselves in position to be a contender with 7 picks better than 11 between 2013 and 2018, including number 1 twice and number 3 twice. At least you would hope that they could have built a team that was in the mix each year and at least flirted with the conference finals. I don’t think any other team has had that kind of draft capital in the last 10 years.
Sign here
Texas Chuck

Post#40 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:53 pm

its almost like winning championships is hard. In the past ten years you have had to beat the GOAT(Lebron who owned the conference and no team got past past him until he left) or one of the GOAT teams (Warriors). Or we had best player in the league Giannis, best player in the league, Jokic.

Other teams have picked high in the draft. Cleveland famously picked #1 overall 3x in 4 years and only won because Lebron came back. The Lakers picked #2 overall 3x and only won because Lebron showed up.

Do you not get that? With very very few exceptions and none since the last Spurs title, you don't win titles unless you have the best or maybe 2nd best player in the world. It's why as good as Boston looks as a team, you should be nervous. Because as good as Tatum is and as deep in really really good players behind him they are, Tatum isn't that. Maybe they can be the Spurs/Pistons, if anyone can, its them, but typically you win because you have the best player in the series.

So if we want to judge Embiid a bit, we definitely can. But the Sixers standing out as the biggest disappointment over the past decade? Nah.

Return to Trades and Transactions