UTA-ORL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

UTA-ORL 

Post#1 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:58 pm

Jazz get: Cole Anthony, #20 pick
Magic get: Collin Sexton

Note, this trade would be executed in free agency but the Jazz would inform the Magic who they wanted to pick at #20 on draft night.

Why for Utah: Tank and get an OK asset for Collin Sexton
Why for Orlando: Upgrade their gunner guard to a gunner guard who shoots 40% from three and is much better at scoring. Orlando could reasonably contend next year, but they need their offense to be way better. Meanwhile, they don't really have a way to play another rookie minutes.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Re: UTA-ORL 

Post#2 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:31 pm

I’m a fan of Sexton, but he’s close to leagues worst in D-LEBRON.

Albeit, he is a substantially better offensive player than Cole I’m just not sure his complete non existent defense will pass on this team.

If Orlando is considering reshaping the defense to accommodate/mask his lack of defense than I think Orlando goes after a bigger fish ala Trae/Garland etc.

The value is definitely fair and the target makes some sense on paper, but comparatively Cole is the more balanced player for the role he is being asked to play on this team. There’s also things that don’t show up in the box scores like being a culture setter and a teammate everyone enjoys playing with. He’s somewhat the glue for Orlando’s young players.

Not saying he’s untouchable, but I think it will take a bigger “oh, I get it” trade for Orlando to consider moving him.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#3 » by tiderulz » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:23 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:I’m a fan of Sexton, but he’s close to leagues worst in D-LEBRON.

Albeit, he is a substantially better offensive player than Cole I’m just not sure his complete non existent defense will pass on this team.

If Orlando is considering reshaping the defense to accommodate/mask his lack of defense than I think Orlando goes after a bigger fish ala Trae/Garland etc.

The value is definitely fair and the target makes some sense on paper, but comparatively Cole is the more balanced player for the role he is being asked to play on this team. There’s also things that don’t show up in the box scores like being a culture setter and a teammate everyone enjoys playing with. He’s somewhat the glue for Orlando’s young players.

Not saying he’s untouchable, but I think it will take a bigger “oh, I get it” trade for Orlando to consider moving him.

he did put a lot of effort and defend decently in college. maybe coming in where he wouldnt be the #1 option on the court would spur him to defend more. he is 6'1"+ in shoes with a 6'7+ wingspan. the tools are there to be passable.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#4 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:11 am

tiderulz wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:I’m a fan of Sexton, but he’s close to leagues worst in D-LEBRON.

he did put a lot of effort and defend decently in college. maybe coming in where he wouldnt be the #1 option on the court would spur him to defend more. he is 6'1"+ in shoes with a 6'7+ wingspan. the tools are there to be passable.

‘19: -3.08
‘20: -3.03
‘21: -1.57
‘22: -0.82
‘23: -1.89
‘24: -1.50

He has never been a positive defender his entire NBA career.

People often confuse hustle with defense, but they’re not one and the same.

He will be targeted in any playoff situation and will undoubtedly become a defensive liability.

I personally much rather overpay Monk and call it a day.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,109

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:17 am

I like this. Maybe not the perfect fit but Sexton’s attitude and shooting would be great on the Magic. They can cover for the defense some. The 20th pick to turn Cole into Sexton feels worth it for me.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:25 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

‘19: -3.08
‘20: -3.03
‘21: -1.57
‘22: -0.82
‘23: -1.89
‘24: -1.50

He has never been a positive defender his entire NBA career.

People often confuse hustle with defense, but they’re not one and the same.

He will be targeted in any playoff situation and will undoubtedly become a defensive liability.

I personally much rather overpay Monk and call it a day.

again, role plays a part. He started in Cleveland as the #1 option and the effort wasnt that high on defense. and it isnt like Monk is some great defender either. and every team has a defensive target the other team looks at. very few teams play 5 2-way players
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,032

Post#7 » by mg » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:00 pm

Sexton is a very engaged defender but his size is the liability. He's not Anfernee Simons who just ignores that end of the court. The Jazz were winning when he was paired with a defensive guard such as Dunn before they decided to tank at the deadline. He also gets to a ton of loose balls. Unfortunately the entire Jazz defense looks awful with John Collins starting as the undersized 5 and also three rookies basically getting starting minutes since the trade deadline.

FWIW he is a pretty big upgrade over Cole. Sexton also a culture guy too. I can understand if Orlando is waiting on a bigger fish but Sexton's current contract is a bargain for 2 more seasons especially when Orlando needs to pay some of their guys coming off rookie deals.

Return to Trades and Transactions