Jazz/Nets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Jazz/Nets 

Post#1 » by sip » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:54 pm

With this trade the jazz commit fully to the rebuild while the nets exit no mans land and try to compete.

Jazz trade-
Lauri
Sexton

Nets trade-
Ben Simmons
Schroder
Noah Clowney
Dariq Whitehead
PHX 25 1st
PHX 27 1st
PHX 29 1st
PHX 28 Swap- Get the better pick of the nets or suns
Dal 29 1st

With the jazz taking back Simmons and Schroder I think it clears enough salary space for the nets to do a renegotiate and extend with Lauri while still being able to re-sign Claxton. Add in a solid signing with the MLE and you have a very good 9 man rotation. For the jazz this is a full rebuild commit and they take back a nice collection of future assets.

C- Claxton, Sharpe
Pf- Lauri, DFS
Sf- Cam Johnson
Sg- Bridges, Cam Thomas
Pg- Sexton
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: Jazz/Nets 

Post#2 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:33 am

Don’t think the Nets want Sexton and this is entirely too much to not walk away with a #1 option.

Methinks if the Nets make a move for Trae cheaper than his perceived value is, they’d then try acquiring Lauri for the remaining picks.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 am

This is just way, way too much for these two players.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:57 am

This is too much if Lauri is not renegotiated and extended yet, but if he is, I'd rather get picks from another team and have a mix of assets that includes players we can watch now & who can play. Don't want Schroder on the team at all, either.

I realize that this gives the Nets cap space to R+E, so I guess if that is prenegotiated it makes some sense on value, but I also agree that they are putting together a team in search of a true star.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:33 am

I don't think the value is too far off honestly... I'd only consider the two 2029s and the 2028 swap to be high upside picks and it wouldn't shock me if that's what Lauri went for by himself. Then you have Sexton for a lower upside 1st (Utah seems to value him around there) and dumping Simmons with the other remaining 1st. Nothing else in that trade matters (if Clowney or Dariq is something special then correct me please, Nets fans)

Brooklyn may not agree to the exact trade, but I think you find a different team to offer up for Sexton and it could work. I just don't know if this is the direction BRK takes.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
louc1970
Senior
And1: 149

Post#6 » by louc1970 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:13 pm

I would offer Simmons/Thomas for Collins/Sexton. Gives Utah a 1 year out of Collins contract by taking on Simmons. The cost savings costs Sexton. But the replacement with a young Thomas who could be Utah's 6th man and allow them to dump Clarkson.
Nets get a usable PF who can rehab his play and allow Johnson to go to the bench.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#7 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:20 pm

louc1970 wrote:I would offer Simmons/Thomas for Collins/Sexton. Gives Utah a 1 year out of Collins contract by taking on Simmons. The cost savings costs Sexton. But the replacement with a young Thomas who could be Utah's 6th man and allow them to dump Clarkson.
Nets get a usable PF who can rehab his play and allow Johnson to go to the bench.

Yeah, this is the kind of deal I can see as a Nets backup plan.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#8 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:25 pm

HornetJail wrote:I don't think the value is too far off honestly... I'd only consider the two 2029s and the 2028 swap to be high upside picks and it wouldn't shock me if that's what Lauri went for by himself. Then you have Sexton for a lower upside 1st (Utah seems to value him around there) and dumping Simmons with the other remaining 1st. Nothing else in that trade matters (if Clowney or Dariq is something special then correct me please, Nets fans)

Brooklyn may not agree to the exact trade, but I think you find a different team to offer up for Sexton and it could work. I just don't know if this is the direction BRK takes.

I don’t think the value is close at all, simply because as you allude to, this isn’t the direction the Nets are going. If they’re spilling all the assets, it’s to gain a guy at least as good as Donovan Mitchell, and another positive impact starting caliber young guy who fits long term, while preserving at least close to max cap for the summer of ‘25.

You’re asking for a treasure trove of premium level draft picks, where all of them have a legit chance of becoming #1 overall literally each and every year, and not sending back a top 15, prime, lead option player.

In fact you’re sending a 3rd banana and a average-ish level starter.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#9 » by sip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:57 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
HornetJail wrote:I don't think the value is too far off honestly... I'd only consider the two 2029s and the 2028 swap to be high upside picks and it wouldn't shock me if that's what Lauri went for by himself. Then you have Sexton for a lower upside 1st (Utah seems to value him around there) and dumping Simmons with the other remaining 1st. Nothing else in that trade matters (if Clowney or Dariq is something special then correct me please, Nets fans)

I don’t think the value is close at all, simply because as you allude to, this isn’t the direction the Nets are going. If they’re spilling all the assets, it’s to gain a guy at least as good as Donovan Mitchell, and another positive impact starting caliber young guy who fits long term, while preserving at least close to max cap for the summer of ‘25.

You’re asking for a treasure trove of premium level draft picks, where all of them have a legit chance of becoming #1 overall literally each and every year, and not sending back a top 15, prime, lead option player.

Lauri is definitely more than a 3rd banana and Sexton is way better than an average ish level starter.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,764

Post#10 » by theBigLip » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:14 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

Totally agree. Those Phoenix picks are looking like gold. Beal and Durant have peaked. The team has traded all their assets so there isn’t an easy way to improve. And they are more average than elite at the moment. Those could all be lottery picks.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#11 » by drchaos » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:20 pm

The Nets should do whatever it takes to clear enough cap space to Sign Donovan Mitchell and Lauri when the become free agents.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#12 » by Xman » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm

Assumption: for this deal to have any legs then Markky has to have agreed to extend.
BKN has already sent its picks (2024&2026) and swaps (2025 & 2027) to Houston for the next few years.
UTA has a lot of picks coming in 2025 (CLE, MINN), 2027 (CLE, MINN, LAL w/ top 4 protection), 2029 (CLE, MINN).
UTA has swap rights in 2028 (CLE for its pick) and 2026 (CLE/MINN with protections).

Adding unprotected picks in the odd years when you already have multiple picks ups the percentage of hitting on a high pick. Whereas, from BKN's point of view, having one pick coming from PHX is not a low percentage chance of hitting on a high value pick.

But, if BKN does this, they are almost locked in. So, I think they need to get another piece or two - - even if small to round out their roster. Clarkson would provide guard depth (if can still extend Markky) - unless seeing a better option/

UTA sends - Clarkson, Sexton, Markky, 2024 first (lowest of OKC/UTA/LAC/HOU).
UTA also sends - 2025 first (lowest of CLE/MINN/UTA/PHX), 2027 first (lowest of CLE/MINN/UTA/LAL/PHX), 2029 first (lowest of CLE/MINN/UTA/PHX/DAL/BKN).

BKN sends:
Ben Simmons
optional: Schroder, Noah Clowney, Dariq Whitehead
PHX 25 1st
PHX 27 1st
PHX 29 1st (top 2 protection)
DAL 29 1st (top 2 protection)
BKN 29 1st (top 2 protection)

UTA should not mind sending the lowest first back to BKN - since the odds are it is less than pick 20.
BKN loses the possibility of PHX pick being higher but still has a first round pick for those years. Also, added top 2 protection on the 2029 picks so there is possible upside if they hit super high (and it is more palatable to take the risk of losing the pick with top 2 protection).
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,032

Post#13 » by mg » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:13 pm

drchaos wrote:The Nets should do whatever it takes to clear enough cap space to Sign Donovan Mitchell and Lauri when the become free agents.

I'm doubtful either make it to free agency. Lauri for sure isn't turning down a max type renegotiate and extend when he hasn't gotten a big contract yet.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:34 pm

sip wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Lauri is definitely more than a 3rd banana and Sexton is way better than an average ish level starter.

I agree with one of those things, Lauri is more than a "third banana". He is a legitimate second option on a contender and can be the first option on a playoff team. That said, it doesn't invalidate the issue vc4pres has at all.

RE: Sexton, he is not a top 15 point guard. He is certainly a top 15 scorer at that position, but he's pretty clearly a backup combo guard (but probably one of the best if not the best player of that sort). He's awesome, I've grown to like him a lot and am impressed by the expansion of his game - but I don't disagree that the package we are sending isn't worth the return.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#15 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:29 pm

sip wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Let me clarify, because that did sound unnecessarily harsh and unfair.

Yes, Lauri can shoot, can score and is an alright passer. But he’s a 2nd option in the same vein as Mikal Bridges. He is a better scorer than Bridges, but it’s the same concept. If either is your only 2nd option, your first better be a top of the league flamethrower. That, or you better have 2 of these guys matched with a true number one, but not necessarily a superstar.

For example, you can probably get away with a Lauri/Mikal 2a/2b combo with Donovan Mitchell, Ja Morant, or Trae Young.

Or if your 1 is Luka or SGA, you’ll be fine.

But if you don’t have a slightly lesser 2b and your 1 isn’t an MVP guard or wing, he is probably not cutting it.

Like you’re not getting away with Fox or Jamal Murray, or Jaylen Brown, with Lauri as your 2 and some average 16ppg third option and hoping to realistically contend, imho.

Long story longer, he’s only a true number two in a few very specific lineups.

A true number two needs to be able to self create a lot better imho.

He’s a lot more Rashard Lewis or Julius Randle then he is Chris Bosh, Sabonis, or even Glen Rice.

I love the idea of Markkanen on the Nets, but not before getting a top option, and not at super high asset cost.

But yeah, as of now I’d call Sexton an average-ish starter, that absolutely doesn’t mean he’s a bad player.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#16 » by Cappy_Smurf » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

Lmao.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#17 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:00 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Lmao.

I phrased it wrong and maybe arguing semantics a bit, but my point still stands, unless you have a handful of first options to pair him with, you aren’t going to be able to contend with Lauri as your sole traditional second option.

And there’s nothing over the top about calling Sexton an average-ish starter. He’s a combo guard who should really be a sixth man in most lineups if your aspirations are a chip, unless again, paired with very specific teammates as a final piece. He’s a guy you seek out to complete your lineup when you need a player of his style specifically, not someone you break the bank on at any point in the process, or with any group of players, if your intent is to make him a full time starter.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,032

Post#18 » by mg » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:41 pm

Yeah I get what VC4P is saying here. I really like both Lauri and Sexton but you don't go out and break the bank for a Markkanen type unless you already have a true #1 on your roster. Mikal Bridges is another player I really, really like but he's not a #1 either. The Nets would probably be stuck as a mid/lower level playoff team with no resources to improve if they trade all their assets/flexibility in this type of trade.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 172

Post#19 » by QMemphis » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
sip wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I don’t think the value is close at all, simply because as you allude to, this isn’t the direction the Nets are going. If they’re spilling all the assets, it’s to gain a guy at least as good as Donovan Mitchell, and another positive impact starting caliber young guy who fits long term, while preserving at least close to max cap for the summer of ‘25.

Let me clarify, because that did sound unnecessarily harsh and unfair.

Yes, Lauri can shoot, can score and is an alright passer. But he’s a 2nd option in the same vein as Mikal Bridges. He is a better scorer than Bridges, but it’s the same concept. If either is your only 2nd option, your first better be a top of the league flamethrower. That, or you better have 2 of these guys matched with a true number one, but not necessarily a superstar.

For example, you can probably get away with a Lauri/Mikal 2a/2b combo with Donovan Mitchell, Ja Morant, or Trae Young.

Or if your 1 is Luka or SGA, you’ll be fine.

But if you don’t have a slightly lesser 2b and your 1 isn’t an MVP guard or wing, he is probably not cutting it.

Like you’re not getting away with Fox or Jamal Murray, or Jaylen Brown, with Lauri as your 2 and some average 16ppg third option and hoping to realistically contend, imho.

Long story longer, he’s only a true number two in a few very specific lineups.

A true number two needs to be able to self create a lot better imho.

He’s a lot more Rashard Lewis or Julius Randle then he is Chris Bosh, Sabonis, or even Glen Rice.

I love the idea of Markkanen on the Nets, but not before getting a top option, and not at super high asset cost.

But yeah, as of now I’d call Sexton an average-ish starter, that absolutely doesn’t mean he’s a bad player.

I don’t think you’re wrong. Lauri is only a true number two if he is playing with a high usage guard. Sexton is best as a 6th man. Mind you I want Lauri on my Grizz, but he would not be our 2nd option.

Return to Trades and Transactions