The forbidden trade framework (OKC-MIN)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

The forbidden trade framework (OKC-MIN) 

Post#1 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:35 pm

OKC gets: KAT
MIN gets: Cason Wallace

OKC gets a guy who can bomb threes and can defend Jokic 1 on 1 in the postseason (at least better than Chet). Minnesota gets under the second apron even after they use this huge TPE to get a PF to replace KAT. Cason Wallace also could be a very good PG, especially after a year of learning under Conley before the playoffs.

So actually doing this gets pretty complicated cap-wise and KAT's contracts gets SUPER ugly in two years once the maxes for Chet and Jalen Williams kick in, but............... I mean, how many actually big players in the NBA can actually have extreme gravity from three? And that's what OKC really needs so....
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,018

Re: The forbidden trade framework (OKC-MIN) 

Post#2 » by Domejandro » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:40 pm

I like Cason Wallace, but unless Minnesota has a spectacularly disastrous first round, this trade makes Minnesota irreparably worse, while boosting a top conference rival. I think any Karl-Anthony Towns trade has to involve getting pieces back that can keep the team from crumpling, talent-wise.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:46 pm

The 'ol trade your 5th or 6th best player for an all-star caliber player.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 156

Post#4 » by schaffy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:51 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:OKC gets: KAT

OKC gets a guy who can bomb threes and can defend Jokic 1 on 1 in the postseason (at least better than Chet). Minnesota gets under the second apron even after they use this huge TPE to get a PF to replace KAT. Cason Wallace also could be a very good PG, especially after a year of learning under Conley before the playoffs.

So actually doing this gets pretty complicated cap-wise and KAT's contracts gets SUPER ugly in two years once the maxes for Chet and Jalen Williams kick in, but............... I mean, how many actually big players in the NBA can actually have extreme gravity from three? And that's what OKC really needs so....

Well that seems to be a not-insignificant part of this plan if the rest of the return is Cason Wallace. So, who are those targets? When was the last time a useful player was moved into just a TPE?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:05 pm

This is missing Dort + either Utah or Houston's 1st... at least
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,852

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:12 pm

Colbinii wrote:The 'ol trade your 5th or 6th best player for an all-star caliber player.

I mean he's also trying to sell financial flexibility which we shouldn't ignore.

But it would require 2 things:

1. Money really mattering to Minny. Which I know isn't a fun discussion. On one side the new guys have seemingly struggled at every step and the fact they have needed so many steps and had guys pull out on them really recently is red flaggy on top of the market being the market. On the other hand, this is the best team they've ever had(or the most sustainable, 04 team obviously really really good) and surely you pay to keep it or you shouldn't have traded for Gobert or paid some of the other guys you paid.

2. OKC tossing in some of their lower level picks/prospects for Minny to use to go shopping with the massive Towns TPE.

I can't imagine Minny considers a move like this.

And fwiw I'm not sure this is the move I'd make as OKC, though if only costs Wallace, you do it and let Presti flip Towns in 2 years(or sooner).
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,300

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:11 pm

I think OKC should include some picks. Maybe one goes to Portland for Grant and Wallace goes to Atlanta for Murray? Or sub picks for Wallace? Would Murray + Grant be better than KAT? I'm not sure ot wpupd be, but it's at least an interesting reshape of the roster:

Gobert/Naz
Grant/Naz
McDaniels
Edwards
Murray/Conley

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,301

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:41 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I think OKC should include some picks. Maybe one goes to Portland for Grant and Wallace goes to Atlanta for Murray? Or sub picks for Wallace? Would Murray + Grant be better than KAT? I'm not sure ot wpupd be, but it's at least an interesting reshape of the roster:

Gobert/Naz
Grant/Naz
McDaniels
Edwards
Murray/Conley

Dont think they can afford that
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,300

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:42 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I think OKC should include some picks. Maybe one goes to Portland for Grant and Wallace goes to Atlanta for Murray? Or sub picks for Wallace? Would Murray + Grant be better than KAT? I'm not sure ot wpupd be, but it's at least an interesting reshape of the roster:

Gobert/Naz
Grant/Naz
McDaniels
Edwards
Murray/Conley

Dont think they can afford that

It splits KAT's contract over two players (Grant + Murray are a bit more). I'm not sure they can, either, but it does make it cheaper to fill out an entire team which I think represents savings, even if it is not direct savings.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,321

Post#10 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:25 pm

Ew man.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,503

Post#11 » by Wolveswin » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:17 pm

Gobert/Naz
Grant/Naz
McDaniels
Edwards
Murray/Conley

I would rather have Wallace - and his rookie contract.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#12 » by DaddyCool19 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:42 pm

OKC should include something else and send that to a 3rd team, to land Minnesota some not too expensive stretch 4. Maybe someone like DFS? They would still save nearly 30M next year and would get an useful role player back.

Conley, Edwards, McDaniels, DFS, Gobert with Wallace, NAW and Naz Reid as the first 3 bench guys sounds pretty good. Maybe they can land some useful vet forward and hope they draft someone useful as their 10th man.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Wolveswin » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm

I think Pels make a better offer (if they want Towns).

Murphy + Daniels is a great start. McCollum needs to be added for salary (third team?).

I like that offer better if trading Towns in conference.

Gobert | Reid
McDaniels | Reid
Murphy | NAW
Edwards | McCollum (6th man if not sent to 3rd team)
Conley | Daniels (eventual Conley replacement)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,712

Post#14 » by shrink » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:38 am

Wolveswin wrote:I would rather have Wallace - and his rookie contract.

Shocker.

Don’t you mean “I would rather have “.. anyone other than Towns?”

Maybe I’m misreading your opinion from the hundreds of various Towns trades you’ve posted here.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Wolveswin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 am

shrink wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I would rather have Wallace - and his rookie contract.

Shocker.

Don’t you mean “I would rather have “.. anyone other than Towns?”

Maybe I’m misreading your opinion from the hundreds of various Towns trades you’ve posted here.

Shrink police is back. Been a while. We missed you.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,292

Post#16 » by brackdan70 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:22 pm

This seems ludicrous.
If Towns is on the block they could get much more.
Wolves have a window of contention, I can’t see them blowing that up just to save money or get back financial flexibility.
Sign here
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,112

Post#17 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:10 pm

brackdan70 wrote:This seems ludicrous.
Wolves have a window of contention, I can’t see them blowing that up just to save money or get back financial flexibility.

I mean there's a real question of this ownership group paying any real amount of tax. They are very cash poor and the private equity deals likely require first dollars to go back to investors.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,292

Post#18 » by brackdan70 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:42 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:This seems ludicrous.

I mean there's a real question of this ownership group paying any real amount of tax. They are very cash poor and the private equity deals likely require first dollars to go back to investors.

Fair point I suppose. I would guess they could get more if they traded Towns…I also would be really surprised if they don’t at least keep him for one more season.
Sign here
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:OKC gets: KAT

I don't understand how you don't get this thread locked! Wallace may be a good prospect but how many #1 picks are you adding from OKC to Minn? If Towns is healthy he's expensive but probably worth his contract.

I see a bigger issue with Minn and their Salary Cap/Tax issues is Jaden McDaniels and his $22.5 million with raises that kicks in next season. He's pretty good player but with KAT, Gobert, Edwards and McDaniels and 5 other guys they are at $175 million for 9 guys. Something may need to be done about their tax problem that's looming but giving away KAT is not the answer.

Return to Trades and Transactions