CWhite to Orl (Part of 2 step Bulls' Blowup)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

CWhite to Orl (Part of 2 step Bulls' Blowup) 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:45 am

My Bulls are the definition of mediocre. We will be the 9th seed this year, and probably beat ATL then lose and enter the lotto at #11. We have some solid vets, ok young pieces and overall good guys-but right now there is NO clear path to the ECF other than luck.

Orl could REALLY use some scoring/shooting, and they have cap space

This deal is part of the Bulls plan to fully reset the team at the '25 deadline

Coby to Orl for the #19 pick and the Den '25 pick, plus 2 future 2nd round picks (ORL has plenty) Finalized in July once Orl has the cap space to absorb White

Orl gets a homerun here-they use their cap space to add a perfect fit. Coby is one of the league's most improved players, a great guy and he competes on defense (not a minus, just limited physically). His shooting and ability to create shots would be very welcome for the Magic
White/Anthony
Suggs/Black
Franz/Ingles
Paolo/Isacc
Carter/Wagner
Still have Howard and all their own picks moving forward

Bulls do this strategically-I know they love Coby (his improvement has been awesome) but they have to start thinking long term. They are so stuck now, there is no clear way out. They do this, and pick the best big bodies available at #11/19 in June.
The plan is then this
1-resign DDR (2 years/$55-60 million, maybe a team option with small buyout for a 3rd year), Drummond (2 years/$12-15 million should do it-doubling the salary of one of the league's best back up centers) and PWill (if they can get him for 4 years and less than 70 million great-if Det or someone offers him a huge deal you let him walk).

2-Run it back with this lineup
Ayo/Caruso/JCarter
Lavine/Caruso/Terry
DDR/Caruso/Terry
PWill/#11 pick/Phillips
Vuc/Drummond/#19 pick

3-This lineup, by Jan, will be .500 and going nowhere. Lavine will be posting 24/5/5 efficiently, while DDR starts to reduce his load. They then fully blowing it up, trading all the vets and getting positive value for Caruso, DDR, Lavine and Drummond. They might just keep Vuc since he eats minutes and isn't terrible, but won't hurt the Bulls pulling a "Utah" and sinking in the standings. The pick they owe SA is top 10, top 8, top 8 protected starting next season. They tank two years, clear their books and start fresh around Ayo, Pwill, picks and cap space.

Better plan than-win 40 games and hope Jokic demands a trade to Chi
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Re: CWhite to Orl (Part of 2 step Bulls' Blowup) 

Post#2 » by jayjaysee » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:21 am

I don’t think this is what Chicago will do, but I think it is what they should do.

I’m not sure about Demar resigning once you’ve traded Coby though. Seems like once the Bulls hint at a retool/rebuild, he might look at some of the other teams who have cap space..

For the OP - I think Chicago should look for future picks for Coby. Some better variance and delay the return. No need to start the rookie clock on these two prospects while Chicago is starting a 2-? year tank. Look for a team with picks after 2026 available for trade. Brooklyn makes sense with Coby’s bargain contract in 2025..
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#3 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 am

Sign me up from Orlando. I like it
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#4 » by ChettheJet » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:59 pm

another 6 months of blow it up and get 20 picks so they're out of contention for 10 years and have rookies coming in to replace the previous great hopes.

Coby White is the guy most other teams want because he's improving year to year and he's on the team friendliest of contract while he's improving. The same applies to Dosunmu. If you're rebuilding those are the exact guys you want to have, so you add a rookie per year, get some unrealized talent from other teams and your 2 young veterans are your leaders, they show the guys you bring in what the culture is on their team and you build from there.

DeRozan and Lavine, maybe even Vucevic and Caruso are the guys who have shaped the identity of the Bulls that last night played down to the level of the WIZ, losing a game that needed to win to stay at #9 to make the first play in, but instead couldn't overcome the 15-0 run to start the game and managed to fall 4 games under .500 and not even looking like they'll get to 40 wins. And you're keeping them and building another under .500 potential play in team around them. apply the correct amount of TNT
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#5 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:08 pm

No brainer move for Orlando..

Is it really worth it for Chicago to move on from their best prospect for 2 non lotto picks?
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,032

Post#6 » by mg » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:43 pm

In reality there's zero chance the Bulls consider this. They are always very slow to make deals not to mention this FO drafted White and are finally seeing progress in one of their lottery picks. Coby just turned 24 last month so there's really no reason why the Bulls can't hold on to him for a few more years to see what they can build with him on the team.
pipfan
RealGM

Post#7 » by pipfan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:44 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:No brainer move for Orlando..

Is it really worth it for Chicago to move on from their best prospect for 2 non lotto picks?

I thought of Howard from ORL too, but thought it was too much

The idea from the FO is that they don't want to go into the 2024-25 season looking like a crap team, so they can sell season tickets around Ball/Lavine's return (real fans know the deal, but we don't buy tickets that often).

The Bull's lineup I put out there would be a very decent team. Yes, DDR could easily walk, but we won't be on a full tank. We'd still be decent and build back Lavine's value
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,509

Post#8 » by jezzerinho » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:47 pm

From an Orl pov, I think the question is: if not White, then who?

The options arent abundant. Teams need to be sure Monk can be a starter. Sexton might be prised away but - given the GM - at what price? D Murray? Brogdon?

There are some possible candidates, but they all come with their flaws, just like White and his very spotty defence. His salary helps make up for a lot tho, let's be honest.

So, he should probably be on the shortlist for Orl at the least.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#9 » by drosestruts » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:32 pm

I don't like it directionally, but it's very good value wise.

I do think if the Bulls look the "blow it ip" or "retool" the smartest thing to do is to explore trades for Coby White and Ayo Dosunmu, it's just that I personally don't like blowing it up. If the go that route though this is good value, and White would be en excellent fit on Orlando.

I'll also add that one comment here said the Bulls FO drafted Coby White - not true. White was drafted by the previous FO.
pipfan
RealGM

Post#10 » by pipfan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:55 pm

jezzerinho wrote:From an Orl pov, I think the question is: if not White, then who?

The options arent abundant. Teams need to be sure Monk can be a starter. Sexton might be prised away but - given the GM - at what price? D Murray? Brogdon?

There are some possible candidates, but they all come with their flaws, just like White and his very spotty defence. His salary helps make up for a lot tho, let's be honest.

So, he should probably be on the shortlist for Orl at the least.

White is actually solid on D now. He's no Caruso, but he competes and moves his feet well. Not a negative at all, and plays hard
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#11 » by Residual-Heat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:05 pm

solid trade idea.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#12 » by Devilanche » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:43 pm

I don’t get it .

If you want blow it up , sell the vets first . See if White and Dosunmu can still take another step or grow with more responsibility . Trade them in season if you want to.

Lavine / Caruso / DDR / Vuc.
I move at least 3 of those 4 before I consider moving white.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#13 » by drosestruts » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:00 pm

Devilanche wrote:I don’t get it .

If you want blow it up , sell the vets first . See if White and Dosunmu can still take another step or grow with more responsibility . Trade them in season if you want to.

Because White (and Ayo and Williams) are the players most likely to return good assets to rebuild with.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,453

Post#14 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:07 pm

Couldn't White get more in a trade than this?

A late pick in a bad draft, plus a 1st next year - but its the Nuggets first and isn't likely to be good at all.

Why would other teams not top this?
pipfan
RealGM

Post#15 » by pipfan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 pm

It's trying to make Lavine a positive asset, and that the Bulls FO won't signal a full tank in July for the coming season. Ayo is a nice fit next to Lavine, so we can win some games and build his value up (having DDR cut his shots/minutes some). Then, once the season is 60-70% over around the deadline, we will the plus, but trade Lavine for positive value instead. If White is here, he and Zach are a bad fit.

It's an awkward approach to a blow up, but I think it works better and the team can sell more tickets then PRAY for lotto luck next year
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:54 pm

I think Chicago needs a little more here, but White feels like a great fit in Orlando.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#17 » by Dan Z » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:25 am

pipfan wrote:

It's trying to make Lavine a positive asset, and that the Bulls FO won't signal a full tank in July for the coming season. Ayo is a nice fit next to Lavine, so we can win some games and build his value up (having DDR cut his shots/minutes some). Then, once the season is 60-70% over around the deadline, we will the plus, but trade Lavine for positive value instead. If White is here, he and Zach are a bad fit.

It's an awkward approach to a blow up, but I think it works better and the team can sell more tickets then PRAY for lotto luck next year

Why can't the Bulls showcase LaVine and keep Coby?
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#18 » by Dan Z » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:26 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:Couldn't White get more in a trade than this?

A late pick in a bad draft, plus a 1st next year - but its the Nuggets first and isn't likely to be good at all.

Why would other teams not top this?

I agree...I think the Bulls can get more value, but I also don't think they should trade him. He's young, improving and on a good contract. He's not the problem in Chicago.

If the Bulls want to do a full rebuild then okay...do it. But don't trade Coby for low value and then re-sign DDR.
pipfan
RealGM

Post#19 » by pipfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:26 am

Dan Z wrote:
pipfan wrote:

Fair question-I just don't see White/Lavine as a good match to start. I like Ayo/Lavine a lot more, with Caruso (and others) behind them.
Yes, the Bulls FO SHOULD blow it up, but they won't. I like Coby a lot, but this plan is built in 2 steps. They free up some $ and add the #19 pick (not what I'd consider a low pick) and the Den pick. I mentioned, maybe Chi could get Howard instead of the Den pick-not sure how good he is but Orl is loaded at the F spot so maybe they'd move him for Coby's shooting.

The owners would still have their name players to start the year, and sell tickets. Then, once Lavine's doing well and has value back-we trade him (and DDR/Caruso/Drummond) to add picks/expiring salaries and tank the last part of the year. We start the 2025-26 season with
Ayo/Terry/Phillips/PWill/#11 this summer/#19 this summer/our '25 1st (it's owed top 10 to SA, so that's why the Jan/Feb tank)
Plus the assets we get from dumping our vets, plus cap space. Probably just keep Vuc for that year, since he's a passable center.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#20 » by Dan Z » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:42 am

pipfan wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
pipfan wrote:It's trying to make Lavine a positive asset, and that the Bulls FO won't signal a full tank in July for the coming season. Ayo is a nice fit next to Lavine, so we can win some games and build his value up (having DDR cut his shots/minutes some). Then, once the season is 60-70% over around the deadline, we will the plus, but trade Lavine for positive value instead. If White is here, he and Zach are a bad fit.

Fair question-I just don't see White/Lavine as a good match to start. I like Ayo/Lavine a lot more, with Caruso (and others) behind them.
Yes, the Bulls FO SHOULD blow it up, but they won't. I like Coby a lot, but this plan is built in 2 steps. They free up some $ and add the #19 pick (not what I'd consider a low pick) and the Den pick. I mentioned, maybe Chi could get Howard instead of the Den pick-not sure how good he is but Orl is loaded at the F spot so maybe they'd move him for Coby's shooting.

The owners would still have their name players to start the year, and sell tickets. Then, once Lavine's doing well and has value back-we trade him (and DDR/Caruso/Drummond) to add picks/expiring salaries and tank the last part of the year. We start the 2025-26 season with
Ayo/Terry/Phillips/PWill/#11 this summer/#19 this summer/our '25 1st (it's owed top 10 to SA, so that's why the Jan/Feb tank)
Plus the assets we get from dumping our vets, plus cap space. Probably just keep Vuc for that year, since he's a passable center.

I feel like the Bulls could get better value for Coby. The 19th pick in a draft that's not suppose to be good isn't very enticing. Plus, the Denver pick will probably be a late pick too.

That's my two cents, but I get the idea you're presenting here. It's not quite the plan I'd do, but I agree that they should rebuild. However, it's not what I think the front office will really do (as you point out...they won't).

The Bulls have a few issues going into next season that might be a distraction and Zach is one of them (I don't blame him for that). How do you showcase a player that you know will be traded asap? What does that do to the rest of the team? It's not exactly building comradery among the team.

They probably trade Zach and then there are more minutes for Coby, Ayo and AC. Hopefully Zach brings back something more than neutral value.

Return to Trades and Transactions