Chicago & Washington: Vucevic Trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Chicago & Washington: Vucevic Trade 

Post#1 » by drosestruts » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:27 pm

In a separate thread on Washington it was made pretty clear to me that Washington isn't concerned about shedding salary and is simply looking to collect assets for the time being.

So great - here's an idea more in line with that path

Chicago in: Richaun Holmes and 2025 PHX 2nd

Washington in: Nikola Vucevic and PDX 1st (lottery protected through 2028)

Bulls:

Get off the last year of Vuc's contract and save ~$4m in cap space in 2024-25.

Wizards:

Eat Vuc's deal. Vuc also gives them an ironman center who they can count on to be healthy, eat minutes, and play. They also gain a potentially unlikely to convey 1st from Portland - granted a lot can happen between now and 2028. An extra year of Vuc for a team not in need of cap space for the chance at a future 1st is worth the gamble being the thinking.

Certainly not tilting the balance of power in the East but a small trade that accomplishes something for both teams.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Re: Chicago & Washington: Vucevic Trade 

Post#2 » by jayjaysee » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:43 pm

I don't think Washington would see any value in Vucevic, but I think some teams would? Not to give an asset, but just not to cost one even as minor as that strongly protected first
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#3 » by mhd » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:48 pm

Easy yes from the Wizards. Don't know why the Bulls would do it, but the Wizards would gamble on a potential future first manifesting itself. If you want Johnny Davis as a throw in, we'd add to him to the deal too.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#4 » by pipfan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:53 pm

Interesting idea for Chi. Even adding Davis isn't bad (maybe a change of scenery would help?). Vuc does put up solid numbers and eats minutes, and he sets good screens.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#5 » by ChettheJet » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

I think WASH would be fine with having Vucevic, they can hope to either draft or trade for a young center that isn't ready and needs to bulk up, or lose weight. It's the PORT pick that' worthless. The Blazers have no clear plan to get into even the play in much less out of the lottery. They have kids that they might as well play if they're losing anyway but also 3 high priced long term veterans in Ayton, Grant and Simon who aren't leaders, have never been winners and they're stuck with their contracts. That pick isn't looking good until it's a 2nd round.

WASH is better off waiting out another year with Holmes or trading him as an expiring
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#6 » by mhd » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:31 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I think WASH would be fine with having Vucevic, they can hope to either draft or trade for a young center that isn't ready and needs to bulk up, or lose weight. It's the PORT pick that' worthless. The Blazers have no clear plan to get into even the play in much less out of the lottery. They have kids that they might as well play if they're losing anyway but also 3 high priced long term veterans in Ayton, Grant and Simon who aren't leaders, have never been winners and they're stuck with their contracts. That pick isn't looking good until it's a 2nd round.

WASH is better off waiting out another year with Holmes or trading him as an expiring

Its not like the Wizards are going to be out of the lottery anytime soon as well LOL. They have the worst talent (and asset base) of any team in the league with the possible exception of the Bulls (basically what the Wizards were until they finally fired previous management and started the tanking process). Obviously the Bulls are a better team, but they need to start tanking because they are team treadmill like the Wizards were.

Holmes is expiring, so he's just cap fodder. We already have a significant number of expirings (Bagles, Holmes, Shamet, and Davis (99% certain his option won't get picked up). Gambling on a first rounder that might convey is a better use of assets vs keeping a useless 2025 Suns 2nd (we have a million future 2nds due to previous trades). Plus, I think Vuc could be flipped at the deadline or next summer if need be.

The Wiz will be tanking hard for the next two years (have to make sure our pick doesn't convey to the Knicks in 2026 (it is top 8 protected by then. Otherwise it'll turn into two 2nd rounders).
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#7 » by penbeast0 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 pm

For this deal I have a "why not." Vucevic is better than a resigned Holmes or Bagley (which shouldn't matter much to Washington) and unlike Holmes and Bagley, he doesn't have much incentive to be happy in Washington. Still, the real question is whether the management thinks they can get more for the cap space than that Portland pick less the value of the Phoenix 2nd. If not, why not.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#8 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:20 pm

Given that the Wizards are not only absorbing that extra year of Vucevic but are also absorbing $7.1M in salary differential next year, I definitely don't think the Wizards would be sending out that PHX SRP.

Swapping a longer contract for a shorter one is fairly easy so there isn't that much of a pick premium, but getting off of $7.1M instantly is very difficult. Most teams can't facilitate that kind of salary absorption. The Wizards would demand more in return. If anything, Chicago should be including some additional SRP's.

But I like the premise of the trade.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#9 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:29 pm

I think Vucevic could be useful on some good team... like the Warriors...?
1+1=11

Return to Trades and Transactions