Caleb Martin S&T Options

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

_GH0ST_
Junior
And1: 488

Caleb Martin S&T Options 

Post#1 » by _GH0ST_ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:31 pm

He will be a free agent this summer. It looks like he'll want something like MLE (he'll probably want more) and it's hard for the Heat to give that right now. There is a high probability that it is an S&T as in Strus. An athletic 3&D who has proven himself in the playoffs. He lost the East's best player award by 1 vote lol Who wants him and what gives it?
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Re: Caleb Martin S&T Options 

Post#2 » by K_chile22 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:18 pm

Well if he wants mle money there's a lot of teams that can just give him that and not have to trade anything
_GH0ST_
Junior
And1: 488

Post#3 » by _GH0ST_ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:56 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Well if he wants mle money there's a lot of teams that can just give him that and not have to trade anything

The same thing was said for Strus. We are just making assumptions here.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,236

Post#4 » by BBallFreak » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:58 pm

Yeah, I kinda think if we get anything at all for him it might be an expiring contract (probably rerouted to a third team) and like a second round pick from a team that doesn't want to use its MLE. We'll be lucky to get that.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:58 pm

_GH0ST_ wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Well if he wants mle money there's a lot of teams that can just give him that and not have to trade anything

The same thing was said for Strus. We are just making assumptions here.

Cleveland gave Strus more than the MLE, and gave Miami a 2nd round pick

That's probably the best case for a Martin S&T
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#6 » by Maverick41 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:29 pm

SnT Martin for Josh Green.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,301

Post#7 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:55 pm

Boucher and a 2nd
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,043

Post#8 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:29 am

Maverick41 wrote:SnT Martin for Josh Green.

Came here to offer exactly that. I'd be ecstatic. And if anyone can turn Josh into something, it's Spo
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#9 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:51 am

daoneandonly wrote:

Came here to offer exactly that. I'd be ecstatic. And if anyone can turn Josh into something, it's Spo

I like Bruce Brown for the Mavs...and J.Green for the Raptors...I think Green fits perfectly in the long term with the Raptors, young, athletic, can defend himself and shoot 3...
1+1=11
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#10 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:15 am

Mike lorenzo wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I like Bruce Brown for the Mavs...and J.Green for the Raptors...I think Green fits perfectly in the long term with the Raptors, young, athletic, can defend himself and shoot 3...

Yea that one crossed my mind as well. hopefully one of the 2 happen
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#11 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:38 am

Godaddycurse wrote:Boucher and a 2nd

I admit my Josh Green offer was very likely Mavs favored, but good grief this is bad. Caleb Martin is a starter and solid, Boucher is a 3rd string C if that making 10+ mil
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 am

Mike lorenzo wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I feel like Miami would probably just sign Martin here. Dallas isn’t offering him a contract much more than Green’s. Or at least they shouldn’t be..

For Brown.. I do like the target, a lot. But I’m not sure what a deal actually looks like given Dallas is going to be a tax team, probably over first apron with Brown.

Toronto won’t accept poor value as they would just not pick up Brown’s contract if his value was as low as I expect.

You almost need to send out Maxi/Green in order to fill bench with vet mins under the tax. THJ/Powell work.. But Toronto would just let Brown go and be a cap space team there IMO..

I think Toronto would be asking for THJ/Prosper/Toronto 2nd or Maxi/Green/lightly protected 2025 first?
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#13 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 am

jayjaysee wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I feel like Miami would probably just sign Martin here. Dallas isn’t offering him a contract much more than Green’s. Or at least they shouldn’t be..

For Brown.. I do like the target, a lot. But I’m not sure what a deal actually looks like given Dallas is going to be a tax team, probably over first apron with Brown.

Toronto won’t accept poor value as they would just not pick up Brown’s contract if his value was as low as I expect.

You almost need to send out Maxi/Green in order to fill bench with vet mins under the tax. THJ/Powell work.. But Toronto would just let Brown go and be a cap space team there IMO..

I think Toronto would be asking for THJ/Prosper/Toronto 2nd or Maxi/Green/lightly protected 2025 first?

I think that all but proves Mavs overpaid for Josh Green, badly. If Caleb Martin, a far superior player, shouldnt get that deals, what in the heck was Dallas thinking giving it to Green? Scared of another Brunson situation? SHouldnt have been, for one Green would be restricted and 2, on his best day he couldnt sniff Brunson's 4th worse day.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#14 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:14 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:Boucher and a 2nd

I admit my Josh Green offer was very likely Mavs favored, but good grief this is bad. Caleb Martin is a starter and solid, Boucher is a 3rd string C if that making 10+ mil

BBallFreak wrote:Yeah, I kinda think if we get anything at all for him it might be an expiring contract (probably rerouted to a third team) and like a second round pick from a team that doesn't want to use its MLE. We'll be lucky to get that.

Expiring and a 2nd was what they asked for. Boucher isnt 3rd string. Toronto is tanking/playing its youngsters and thats why hes sitting. Boucher fills their needs more than Green and expires sooner. Its a better offer than Green imo
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#15 » by jayjaysee » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:23 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:I like Bruce Brown for the Mavs...and J.Green for the Raptors...I think Green fits perfectly in the long term with the Raptors, young, athletic, can defend himself and shoot 3...

I think that all but proves Mavs overpaid for Josh Green, badly. If Caleb Martin, a far superior player, shouldnt get that deals, what in the heck was Dallas thinking giving it to Green? Scared of another Brunson situation? SHouldnt have been, for one Green would be restricted and 2, on his best day he couldnt sniff Brunson's 4th worse day.

I mean, I think Green would’ve probably got offers of most the MLE this summer anyways. He’s inconsistent and very frustrating, but he’s a 40% three point shooting 23 year old wing who actually moves sometimes on defense. Teams would’ve tried to steal him thinking their coach/system could bring out more and Dallas would’ve matched a deal within a couple million a year anyways.

So I think Dallas overpaid, but barely. Green gets a lot of hate somehow because there were (much) better guards drafted later, but he’s a late teens pick that is worth a top 8 rotation on most teams. That’s what you realistically can hope for in that range..

Where Caleb is 28 and really good now and probably costs the same / if not 1-2 million more than Green.. So you just keep the one you have, especially for a team as win now as Miami.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,986

Post#16 » by Apz » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Dont think mavs have intrest in brown unless he turns down that option and snt for green money
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#17 » by dirkforpres » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Hardaway is much more likely. Theyve been linked him for a long time, his dad continuously talks about trying to get his son to Miami, and Miami would probably covet a large expiring as something they could package later on versus Josh who would take minutes away from Jacquez and Jovic.
FIRE JASON KIDD
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#18 » by jayjaysee » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

Apz wrote:
Dont think mavs have intrest in brown unless he turns down that option and snt for green money

Yeah, the deal has to favor Toronto or Toronto would just not pick up the option, not work with Dallas.. Which makes it pretty unlikely. There’s no reason for them to create a negative and then accept negative value.

So don’t see a deal that actually makes sense. Just like the target.

But could try..

THJ to cap space team (Detroit/Charlotte?)
Powell+Prosper to Toronto
Brown to Dallas

Toronto gets a 20 million dollar TPE and a wing prospect, Dallas gets hard capped, Detroit gets a vet wing rotation piece.

Not sure what else needs to go into that.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#19 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Apz wrote:

Yeah, the deal has to favor Toronto or Toronto would just not pick up the option, not work with Dallas.. Which makes it pretty unlikely. There’s no reason for them to create a negative and then accept negative value.

So don’t see a deal that actually makes sense. Just like the target.

But could try..

THJ to cap space team (Detroit/Charlotte?)
Powell+Prosper to Toronto
Brown to Dallas

Toronto gets a 20 million dollar TPE and a wing prospect, Dallas gets hard capped, Detroit gets a vet wing rotation piece.

Not sure what else needs to go into that.

Green+Prosper+Powell for Brown straight up? or would you rather keep green over THJ
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#20 » by jayjaysee » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Green+Prosper+Powell for Brown straight up? or would you rather keep green over THJ

THJ is finally expiring and only makes 16 (finally again).. So I think there’s a good argument to keeping THJ with expectation that he’ll stick around on a similar deal as Green and be the better player. And I want to say that if you add Brown and keep DJJ, ugly iso THJ might actually be a decent fit in small stretches where Green and Hardy didn’t develop their playmaking like some dreamt.

My opinion is you keep the younger cheaper player and hope for some development/consistency. Green has shown enough to see a 2way 26-30 minute wing you’re happy with locked up on the MLE. That player doesn’t exist most games, but it’s there..

Also hopefully Dallas hard caps themselves next year in some trade to upgrade the team and the 3.5 mil difference between Green/THJ could actually matter at that point honestly.

Kidd doesn’t seem to care about either one.

And most Dallas fans probably take your deal. Theres also a bit of potential foresight/proactivity in cleaning the books a bit for 2025 offseason in case KAI decides to opt out and move to LAL..

Return to Trades and Transactions