MIN/BRK/CHA

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

MIN/BRK/CHA 

Post#1 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:06 am

Wolves trade KAT, Moore, Minott
Wolves receive Mikal Bridges, Grant Williams, Dorian Finney-Smith, Dennis Schroeder

Nets trade Mikal Bridges, Dorian Finney-Smith, Dennis Schroeder
Nets receive CHA 2024 1st (and potential 2027 1st from either CHA/DAL/MIA*), Moore, Minott, Cody Martin, Nick Richards, Davis Bertans, $23M TPE

Hornets trade CHA 2024 1st*, Grant Williams, filler (Davis Bertans, Cody Martin, Nick Richards)
Hornets receive KAT

*Charlotte adds appropriate draft capital to BRK if the pick falls further than #4

--

Minnesota floods the ranks with 3&D (and a scoring guard). It's Ant's team, and MIN could do some pretty interesting things with a rotation of Conley/Ant/Bridges/McDaniels/Gobert + Schroeder/NAW/GWill/DFS/Naz

Nets just tear off the band-aid and start over with a very high pick, and a completely blank slate from 2025 onward (with the lone exception of Cam Johnson on the books)

The Hornets add a star big man and try to make something happen with Melo/Miller/Miles Bridges/KAT/Mark Williams, hoping for good health.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Re: MIN/BRK/CHA 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:07 am

There's a second, much cleaner version of this that just cuts out MIN and swaps Mikal Bridges for Charlotte's 1st and filler if the Nets are open to that... Charlotte should be ok with either one.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,887

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:25 am

I'd be upset if the deepest team in the NBA traded an All-Star for more depth.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,498

Post#4 » by Wolveswin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 pm

I don’t hate it. I mean, Towns for Mikal Bridges is a good start. Not sure I love the pieces joining Bridges, but that could be amended.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,498

Post#5 » by Wolveswin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:06 pm

Why would Nets do this? I think they are wrong 3rd them.

Nets owe 26 swap, and 27 1st. OP sends them into a tank while not owning own draft capital.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:33 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Why would Nets do this? I think they are wrong 3rd them.

Nets owe 26 swap, and 27 1st. OP sends them into a tank while not owning own draft capital.

Plus the value is mediocre.

The Nets would look to pair KAT with Bridges, not swap them, and even more so, not facilitate a KAT trade for middling value at best.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 156

Post#7 » by schaffy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:24 pm

Feels like the Hornets are getting excess value in this. A 1st rounder in what's looking to be a 'meh' top of the draft, Grant Williams, and salary filler gets KAT? Maybe I'm undervaluing that draft pick, its possible. But given everything that's been said about this draft as far as a lack of top end talent that wouldn't seem to have the same value as in some other drafts.

And directionally that doesn't make sense for the Nets. They don't control their future picks so trading your most valuable asset to enter a rebuild with just this Charlotte pick and whatever youth they've already got doesn't seem to be a wise move.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:24 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

The Nets would look to pair KAT with Bridges, not swap them, and even more so, not facilitate a KAT trade for middling value at best.

Are you unable to read?

I ask because the OP doesn't have the Nets swapping Bridges with KAT.

But, unfortunately for the Nets, aside from Bridges, they don't have the assets to acquire KAT.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 156

Post#9 » by schaffy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:14 pm

Colbinii wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Are you unable to read?

But, unfortunately for the Nets, aside from Bridges, they don't have the assets to acquire KAT.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but this feels like a bit of an over-reaction otherwise.

Ideally, the Nets would look to pair Kat with Bridges (not happening here -- not sure the Nets would have the value to do so really). But they would not want to swap the 2 of them (again not happening here). And they for sure wouldn't want to be part of a deal where they send out Bridges and Kat ends up going somewhere else while the Nets get back a very disappointing deal for Bridges (the proposed trade).
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#10 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:29 pm

Colbinii wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Are you unable to read?

Are you unable to comprehend? That was my point…

Fortunately, the Nets pretty much have the highest value pick stash in the league, even devoid of their own picks. So if the Wolves were looking to move on from KAT, they most certainly have the assets to acquire him outside of Bridges.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if KAT brings back a very mediocre return in relation to what many believe he will, if dealt.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#11 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:31 pm

schaffy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Plus the value is mediocre.

Are you unable to read?

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but this feels like a bit of an over-reaction otherwise.

Ideally, the Nets would look to pair Kat with Bridges (not happening here -- not sure the Nets would have the value to do so really). But they would not want to swap the 2 of them (again not happening here). And they for sure wouldn't want to be part of a deal where they send out Bridges and Kat ends up going somewhere else while the Nets get back a very disappointing deal for Bridges (the proposed trade).

Thanks. I mean I thought I was blatantly concise with what I was conveying, but apparently it warranted a rude oblivious response lol.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#12 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:34 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Fortunately, the Nets pretty much have the highest value pick stash in the league, even devoid of their own picks. So if the Wolves were looking to move on from KAT, they most certainly have the assets to acquire him outside of Bridges.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if KAT brings back a very mediocre return in relation to what many believe he will, if dealt.

The Wolves wouldn't be interested in a Rudy Gobert pick package for KAT.

The Wolves just traded a pick package for a win-now player.

So, when I say the Nets don't have the assets to acquire KAT, it doesn't mean the net value of their assets aren't enough in a vacuum, it means the assets they have don't interest Minnesota.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:39 pm

Colbinii wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Fortunately, the Nets pretty much have the highest value pick stash in the league, even devoid of their own picks. So if the Wolves were looking to move on from KAT, they most certainly have the assets to acquire him outside of Bridges.

So, when I say the Nets don't have the assets to acquire KAT, it doesn't mean the net value of their assets aren't enough in a vacuum, it means the assets they have don't interest Minnesota.

It can always be a three+ team deal.

But I would agree, KAT will probably be traded in a rarer player for player deal if he’s dealt at all, but again, that can just as easily be a direct two team, or indirect multi-team trade where a 3rd team with a wing or point guard wants to make a blow up move, but doesn’t want KAT.

Garland and Cleveland immediately come to mind assuming the Nets got their top guy elsewhere.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#14 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:16 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

But I would agree, KAT will probably be traded in a rarer player for player deal if he’s dealt at all, but again, that can just as easily be a direct two team, or indirect multi-team trade where a 3rd team with a wing or point guard wants to make a blow up move, but doesn’t want KAT.

Garland and Cleveland immediately come to mind assuming the Nets got their top guy elsewhere.

What Minnesota has found out [or if they already knew, understood better] is the skill-sets of Naz and SlowMo can replicate 75% of what Towns does. SlowMo can take on the playmaking burden while Naz replicates the floor spacing.

I don't like trading a dollar for multiple quarters, which is where the ideal situation is as you said--KAT for similar caliber player.

I think another option is trading for a good starter + high-end prospect/pick.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,684

Post#15 » by shrink » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:49 pm

Colbinii wrote:What Minnesota has found out [or if they already knew, understood better] is the skill-sets of Naz and SlowMo can replicate 75% of what Towns does. SlowMo can take on the playmaking burden while Naz replicates the floor spacing.

I don't like trading a dollar for multiple quarters, which is where the ideal situation is as you said--KAT for similar caliber player.

I agree with both statements, but wanted to chime in that getting 75% of what Towns does with two players is significantly less valuable than what MIN could put on the floor with Towns PLUS a second guy (to make two players). Talent consolidation is far more valuable for winning, like your “multiple quarters” analogy reflects.

And I would also take this opportunity to note for other posters that are constantly trying to trade Towns in a package based around Bridges plus incentive, that idea is bad for both teams. As VC mentions, the Nets either want to pair both and compete, or simply rebuild. Towns has shown that while he gets a team to the playoffs with any talent on the team, his teams repeatedly miss the playoffs when it’s him and a bunch of young guys, which is what the Nets would be. And MIN is already loaded with good defensive 3-and-D wings. Bridges is better overall of course, but he would be much more valuable to a team that desperately needs that skillset, and that’s not the Timberwolves.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:12 pm

Colbinii wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

What Minnesota has found out [or if they already knew, understood better] is the skill-sets of Naz and SlowMo can replicate 75% of what Towns does. SlowMo can take on the playmaking burden while Naz replicates the floor spacing.

Garland wouldn’t be quarters for a dollar though, it’s about as even a trade as you can get.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#17 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:01 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:It can always be a three+ team deal.

Garland wouldn’t be quarters for a dollar though, it’s about as even a trade as you can get.

Why does Cleveland want to add a 3rd Center--the position both Mobley and Allen are maximized at?

I don't think Cleveland can afford Mobley/KAT/Mitchell/Allen/Struss.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#18 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 pm

I'd rather not pay KAT an average of $55.272 million over the next four years with a fourth year player option of $61.194 million. Some other team can feel free to take that contract.

I'm lower on him than most but I feel he's pretty overvalued on here due to that contract alone.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:10 pm

Colbinii wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Why does Cleveland want to add a 3rd Center--the position both Mobley and Allen are maximized at?

I don't think Cleveland can afford Mobley/KAT/Mitchell/Allen/Struss.

Well it was just an example of a 3 team deal, under some specific, but not unrealistic circumstances.

Something like Cleveland realized Mitchell is gone and traded him somewhere not named Brooklyn.

Brooklyn trades for Trae Young, but retains some good assets.

Cleveland decides to blow it up because they think they’ll be bad anyway so the picks they sent to Utah are sunken cost anyway, and they received picks for Mitchell.

They send Garland to Minnesota, Wolves send KAT to Brooklyn, Nets send multiple picks to Cleveland.

That’s just the first one that came to mind.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#20 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:19 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:I'd rather not pay KAT an average of $55.272 million over the next four years with a fourth year player option of $61.194 million. Some other team can feel free to take that contract.

I'm lower on him than most but I feel he's pretty overvalued on here due to that contract alone.

Don’t really disagree. Can see a decent amount of teams who would take him at lower asset cost though.

Return to Trades and Transactions