Help Troy Weaver

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Re: Help Troy Weaver 

Post#21 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

CJ into cap space.
Jerami Grant for a pick.
Resign Simone.
Draft Matas Buzelis FRP and Juan Nunez SRP
Dont pay Wiseman
Sign a vet FA backup forward

G - CJ McCollum / Jaden Ivey / Juan Nunez (SRP)
G - Cade Cunningham / Jaden Ivey / Quentin Grimes
F - Simone Fontecchio / Ausar Thompson / Quentin Grimes
F - Jerami Grant / Matas Buzelis (FRP) / CHEAP VET
C - Jalen Duren / Isaiah Stewart / Chimezie Metu
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#22 » by esvl » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:"The Pistons have enough talent to start winning" Jaden Ivey is probably the worst starting PG in the NBA other than Keyonte and Scoot Henderson while Jalen Duren is the worst defender in the NBA other than John Collins.

If Duren and Ivey develop brains and Cade learns how to shoot, then yes, the Pistons can win right now. The issue is that their core four guys all suck currently (Cade, Ivey, Duren, and Ausar) and the team won't be good until some of those guys are actually good. Would vets help Cade shoot 38% from three? IDK.

They need to build a culture that allows to develop those kids. I suggest that they call Memphis about Smart, who is capable of building that type of culture by himself alone.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#23 » by jowglenn » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

They should probably try the route the Houston Rockets took this last offseason - target veteran free agents in that 2nd/3rd tier of player, guys who can at least bring a winning attitude and give the team a puncher's chance of winning on any given night. People made fun of the Rockets for signing FVV and Brooks, but now the Rockets are out there *winning basketball games*. Are they contenders? No. But their young guys are now playing in games where they can actually show up every night *hoping and planning to win*.

So who could Detroit target in the same vein?

Demar Derozan
Tobias Harris
Klay Thompson
Jonas Valanciunas
Buddy Hield
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,442

Post#24 » by oldncreaky » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I don’t love the CJM fit , but I do love that it’s only a two year deal and it’s declining. Maybe having CJM would help get Tobias to come and you have your two vets.. Assuming Harris//Bridges refuse to take my overpay..maybe J Grant reunion if it’s cheap enough?

I definitely like the idea of CJ MCCollum into space. Much less sure of a Grant reunion, particularly since he'll have 4 years left on his contract.

Might call Toronto and offer a second or two for Brown despite him being really overpaid. If they turn that down, wait for them to let him walk and offer him like 2yr36..

For Toronto, I'd love to get a SRP for Brown, but I don't see it for Detroit. Brown has the advantage of being a very good fit as a 4th/5th wheel in a good line-up as he's shown with the Nets and Nuggets, but at $23M next season he's waaay overpaid for what he provides on bad teams like Detroit and Toronto.

I suspect Toronto will end up releasing Brown, and he'll be available as a FA at a fairer price around the NTMLE
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#25 » by eitanr » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

MKWB wrote:Hi Troy, it's D-Griff from the Pels. Here is a high-level 3pt spacing veteran leader on a descending 2 year contract, and we'll let you absorb him into your cap space. He helped our young stars take a leap in professionalism, and we know he can do the same for your up and coming Pistons squad. Bonus- he's the respected president of the players association, so he can bring some PR legitimacy to your franchise like he did with the Pels. Coach Willie Green will share stories of CJ with Monty, Green's mentor.

CJ McCullom to Pistons absorbed into cap space.
Would you like Nance, too, for some added veteran leadership? Perhaps Stewart can be involved to NOP for some pick exchange.

Could a 3rd.team be brought in to send some player(s) to Pels? Or maybe they open up just enough cap space to offer Hartenstein a deal more than what NYK can offer.

Duren/ Stewart
Ausar/ Risacher
Cade/ Fonteccino
CJ / Grimes
Ivey / Sasser

The move makes more sense if there's an Ivey deal somewhere OR if Monty is okay letting Ivey control the second unit. Detroit should take this though just to get the talent in the door.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Post#26 » by Dan Z » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

jowglenn wrote:They should probably try the route the Houston Rockets took this last offseason - target veteran free agents in that 2nd/3rd tier of player, guys who can at least bring a winning attitude and give the team a puncher's chance of winning on any given night. People made fun of the Rockets for signing FVV and Brooks, but now the Rockets are out there *winning basketball games*. Are they contenders? No. But their young guys are now playing in games where they can actually show up every night *hoping and planning to win*.

So who could Detroit target in the same vein?

Demar Derozan
Tobias Harris
Klay Thompson
Jonas Valanciunas
Buddy Hield

That's not a bad idea, but one thing to keep in mind is that they owe a first round pick to the Knicks. It's 1-28 protected in 2024 (won't convey), 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026, and 1-9 in 2027 (if it doesn't convey Detroit gives NY a 2nd round pick).

It's important that they get better, but going the route of Houston could mean they give up their 2025 pick (outside shot though). Maybe it's better not to worry about it and just build a better team?
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#27 » by eitanr » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

If they land CJ for pure cap space, not a bad idea to then also try Ivey and their first for Lauri Markennan.
It's been talked about enough already and maybe that's too heavy in the decent to high usage vets idea and maybe that team plateus into a Bulls 2.0, but it's a way to get out of the cellar fast.

Sign Jalen Smith, DeAnthony Melton too while we're at it!

PF L. Markennan/ I. Stewart
SF A. Thompson/ S. Fontechio
C J. Duren/ J. Smith
SG CJ McCollum/ Q. Grimes
PG C. Cunningham/ D. Melton/ M. Sasser
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,179

Post#28 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 am

I like the idea of CJ for cap (and possibly a pick).

But really, the Pistons should be helping Weaver find his way to the parking lot while a security officer carries his personal effects in a box.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#29 » by NYG » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:34 am

I like Grant under Monty back in Detroit... what could the Pistons offer?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#30 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:07 am

John Collins + player drafted 31st for cap space

Play him as a backup center to stretch the floor from 5, and/or a starting 4. Unexceptional but competent - if he were a small forward who could be described similarly Utah could use him.

Harrison Barnes for cap space, SAC would make a move to fill the TPE.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#31 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:09 am

eitanr wrote:If they land CJ for pure cap space, not a bad idea to then also try Ivey and their first for Lauri Markennan.
It's been talked about enough already and maybe that's too heavy in the decent to high usage vets idea and maybe that team plateus into a Bulls 2.0, but it's a way to get out of the cellar fast.

Sign Jalen Smith, DeAnthony Melton too while we're at it!

PF L. Markennan/ I. Stewart
SF A. Thompson/ S. Fontechio
C J. Duren/ J. Smith
SG CJ McCollum/ Q. Grimes
PG C. Cunningham/ D. Melton/ M. Sasser

Ivey is such a hilariously bad fit on Utah's roster and the first pick in this draft just isn't a premium asset. 1 + other picks? Sure, but without an agreement to R+E that doesn't make sense for Detroit.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
OxAndFox
Veteran
And1: 2,142

Post#32 » by OxAndFox » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:13 am

Decline the options on Fournier and Brown Jr and rescind Wiseman.

I would largely be targeting two vets. Tobias Harris ($32m per front loaded 3 years) and DDR ($35m per front loaded 3 years). You have to hope Grimes comes back and not only gets on the court, but improves a lot.
At some point there needs to be a decision on all the guards they have.

Trade Ausar Thompson for Pick #11 (Select Tidjane Salaun)
Extend Fontecchion 4/35m. Again front loaded.
Sign Patty Mills at Vet Min.
Sign Luka Samanic at Vet Min.
Sign Moses Brown at Vet Min.
Draft Cody Williams #1.

G - Jaden Ivey/Marcus Sasser/Patty Mills
G - Cade Cunningham/Quentin Grimes/
F - Demar Derozan/Cody Williams/Simone Fontecchio
F - Tobias Harris/Salaun/Chimezie Metu
C - Jalen Duren/Isaiah Stewart/Brown

Rotation in bold. Sasser will still get plenty of opportunity. Salaun will need time in the G League, but has potential.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#33 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:01 am

Gary Trent Jr 20 mil a year for a few years.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,258

Post#34 » by GreekAlex » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:04 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Gary Trent Jr 20 mil a year for a few years.

As a Pistons fan, I’d rather pay the difference to sign Malik Monk.

Return to Trades and Transactions