CJ Trade Value?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,179

Re: CJ Trade Value? 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

Mike lorenzo wrote:I think he's a great fit for MAGIC..they can afford his remaining 2 years..while their young guards finish developing and he really fills a big hole...simply paying CJ instead of Harris/Ingles seems like a big improvement.. .
Taking it to salary space, with nothing back, would be a good deal for both...

(I also think WCJ would be an ideal fit in NOP if they wanted to do something bigger....)

For NOP alternatively I think they should move Ingram too, especially (apart from the fact that I don't love his fit with Zion and his recurring health problems) I think Murphy has a star in the...
So what would something like that look like?

CJ+Okongwu to MAGIC

CJ/Suggs/Wagner/Banchelo/OO
Cole/Black/Howard/Isaak/Wagner

Ingram+DDaniels to HAWKS

D.Murray+WCJ

Murray/Herb/Murphy/Zion/Carter

If they're looking to move CJ so they can extend Ingram, I don't see them expanding the trade and moving Ingram.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,301

Post#22 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

zimpy27 wrote:Is CJ any better than DLo? They seem like the same type of player to me and produce similarly.

Except one is younger and cheaper, and that one doesn't seem to have much value around the league. So I highly doubt CJ does

Im curious to see Russell's play in a non contract year after he signs his next contract (i expect him to opt out)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,179

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

I struggle to a see a team other than the Pistons or Magic even being interested in acquiring on him on his current contract and they're very unlikely to offer much. If you get off of his contract then try to replace 80% of what he gives for 50% of the money, that would be a W.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,301

Post#24 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

jbk1234 wrote:I struggle to a see a team other than the Pistons or Magic even being interested in acquiring on him on his current contract and they're very unlikely to offer much. If you get off of his contract then try to replace 80% of what he gives for 50% of the money, that would be a W.

I wonder if spurs would be interested. Could be good for Wemby's development
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#25 » by lordjeff05 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

esvl wrote:The problem with CJ is that he needs a ball in hands to deliver his value. There is no much off-ball value, if any. So I can only think of California or Canada.

I gotta push back on this a little bit. CJ is top 30 for catch and shoot 3s per game and is top 15 for total 3s per game. He can definitely play off the ball.
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#26 » by lordjeff05 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:02 am

I’m beginning to sound a little repetitive on this but it’s an interesting topic relevant to this exercise.

I think the best finishing/ playoff lineup for the Pels is Zion, BI, Herb, Trey and a center. That’s relevant because if you think the Pels need a center and point guard then you can’t pay Trey and keep BI. But if you think that those 4 can work together for major minutes then you just need a center to round out your starters and any point guard you get can be a backup level guy. This is good because point guard and center are the two spots that you can get the most bang for your buck.

If we can get one center for the midlevel then any other assets would be focused on the bench. That’s good because it means we could leverage our draft capital to maintain a decent bench rather than using it on trades, which is important because it’s the kind of thing that can keep you out of the luxury tax or at least under the aprons.

Relative to the premise, I think that if we make a good showing in the playoffs that ownership will go in to the tax for next year. That would be needed to both sign a center and to resign Naji who provides excellent value and who would be worth bringing back for the right number.

I tend to think that CJ is at worse a neutral asset. He’s got two years left and provides real value as a shooter. If I’m Orlando I’d rather him on a 2 for 60 than Monk who is younger but less efficient for a 3 or 4 year deal of 80 or 90.

If we were to trade him and got a guy like WCJ for it I’d consider that a huge win.

But I’m not sure that any move is really needed. CJ and JV are great 82 game guys. One more year gives us more of a chance to become better in the clutch and to have a better repertoire of plays for our best players. I wouldn’t mind trying to pick up a score first shot creator off the bench if we do trade CJ or even a more traditional point guard. But those guys would have more importance for the regular season than the post season.

I also think there’s a world where we draft Filipowski who becomes the perfect compliment to what we are trying to do.
Monky15
Starter
And1: 692

Post#27 » by Monky15 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:20 am

Wolveswin wrote:I think something around these 3 teams:

To Hawks: Towns + Wolves Filler

To Pels: Murray + Capela (I can see argument for OO)

To Wolves: Murphy + McCollum + Daniels

Value to taste and all three teams win.

Hawks get Trae another star in Towns.

Pels get a win-now PG, a center, and solve money problems with Murray value deal.

Wolves get a forward replacement starter for Towns in Murphy, PGOF in Daniels, and McCollum as super 6th man - who is expensive but less expensive than Towns.

I think the Hawks would like Murphy for themselves.

Murray, Capella

For

CJ, Murphy

Pels get a win-now PG, a center, and solve money problems with Murray value deal.
Hawks see their team long term being Young, Murphy3, Johnson, OO. CJ makes Bogi expendable and is expensive in that roll but I think its worth it for them to get Murphy3 who is a great fit next to Young and their other wings.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#28 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 am

Monky15 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I think something around these 3 teams:

To Hawks: Towns + Wolves Filler

To Pels: Murray + Capela (I can see argument for OO)

To Wolves: Murphy + McCollum + Daniels

Value to taste and all three teams win.

Hawks get Trae another star in Towns.

Wolves get a forward replacement starter for Towns in Murphy, PGOF in Daniels, and McCollum as super 6th man - who is expensive but less expensive than Towns.

I think the Hawks would like Murphy for themselves.

Murray, Capella

For

CJ, Murphy

Hawks see their team long term being Young, Murphy3, Johnson, OO. CJ makes Bogi expendable and is expensive in that roll but I think its worth it for them to get Murphy3 who is a great fit next to Young and their other wings.

Hawks could want Murphy he is a good player. Not a star that could help keep Trae happy and elevate Hawks like Towns - but good debate. Plus Hawks have JJ and Hunter, with Hunter not enough reason to say no to Murphy, but becomes expensive bench player that would need to be moved when JJ and Murphy get paid.
MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Post#29 » by MKWB » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 am

Interesting topic that I've thought about, too. My thoughts:

1) David Griffin is all about loyalty, leadership and professionalism. CJ has had a good statistical year and steady veteran presence, leading to one of the best seasons in Pels history. CJ could be credited with getting Zion's career back on track to stardom. It sure seems like they'll keep CJ for at least next season.l, even if it would be more fun to trade him.

2) Ingram and Murphy are still on their current contracts for next season. So there isn't a rush to trade CJ this offseason. The next offseason, 2025, is when Ingram and Murphy's new contracts will begin. Then CJ will be a 30m expiring contract easier for another team to take on. That's the likely time he could be traded at.

3) If he is traded, I agree with others that Pistons and Magic make the most sense, with Spurs as a maybe. Pistons need a franchise PR and professionalism lift, just like the Pels did a few years ago. Absorbing CJ could solve that. Magic could use off ball spacing. CJ has been great at that this year.
Monky15
Starter
And1: 692

Post#30 » by Monky15 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm

I'd test the market on Ingram also. I'm a huge fan and he plays the most shallowest position in the league but if he's going to be on Zach Lavine money I'm not sure how I feel about that. At 35M he is a nice asset, 40M I feel is neutral, any more and I'm not sure.
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#31 » by lordjeff05 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 pm

MKWB wrote:Interesting topic that I've thought about, too. My thoughts:

1) David Griffin is all about loyalty, leadership and professionalism. CJ has had a good statistical year and steady veteran presence, leading to one of the best seasons in Pels history. CJ could be credited with getting Zion's career back on track to stardom. It sure seems like they'll keep CJ for at least next season.l, even if it would be more fun to trade him.

2) Ingram and Murphy are still on their current contracts for next season. So there isn't a rush to trade CJ this offseason. The next offseason, 2025, is when Ingram and Murphy's new contracts will begin. Then CJ will be a 30m expiring contract easier for another team to take on. That's the likely time he could be traded at.

3) If he is traded, I agree with others that Pistons and Magic make the most sense, with Spurs as a maybe. Pistons need a franchise PR and professionalism lift, just like the Pels did a few years ago. Absorbing CJ could solve that. Magic could use off ball spacing. CJ has been great at that this year.

Yeah this is where I’m at also. Regardless of talent, I think a CJ trade next year is unlikely because of what Griff believes he brings to the locker room. Potentially the same can be said about Larry. His hand may be forced when Trey’s contract kicks in but I don’t think he would trade CJ when there are so many other options to stay under the cap for next year.

It’s a fun excercise but I’m skeptical that it would happen before 25-26.
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#32 » by lordjeff05 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 pm

Monky15 wrote:I'd test the market on Ingram also. I'm a huge fan and he plays the most shallowest position in the league but if he's going to be on Zach Lavine money I'm not sure how I feel about that. At 35M he is a nice asset, 40M I feel is neutral, any more and I'm not sure.

Yeah I’d hope that in the context of the new tv deal that his contract looks a little more palatable. These playoffs are super important because it might be the last chance to evaluate the Zion and BI fit in a playoff setting while Ingram’s deal still has value. Waiting until next year means that you’d he trading an expiring Ingram with less trade value.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#33 » by tester551 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:I think he's a great fit for MAGIC..they can afford his remaining 2 years..while their young guards finish developing and he really fills a big hole...simply paying CJ instead of Harris/Ingles seems like a big improvement.. .

(I also think WCJ would be an ideal fit in NOP if they wanted to do something bigger....)

For NOP alternatively I think they should move Ingram too, especially (apart from the fact that I don't love his fit with Zion and his recurring health problems) I think Murphy has a star in the...

CJ+Okongwu to MAGIC

Ingram+DDaniels to HAWKS

D.Murray+WCJ

How about something like this:

Magic:
WCJ + #19 -> CJ
Magic get great veteran leadership to help the youth along and a good perimeter scorer.

Pels:
CJ + Nance -> Brogdon + WCJ
Pels drop ~$10M in salary to get out of the tax, and get two comparable players who should be better fits on the team.

Chicago:
Portland's future 1st -> #19 (Orlando's '24 pick)
Swaps draft picks to clear the obligation. Bulls choose to have the pick now instead of at some future point.

Portland:
Brogdon -> Nance + Future 1st returned
Blazers get out of the tax, and clear their future pick obligation.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#34 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 pm

tester551 wrote:

CJ+Okongwu to MAGIC

Ingram+DDaniels to HAWKS

D.Murray+WCJ

How about something like this:

Magic:
WCJ + #19 -> CJ
Magic get great veteran leadership to help the youth along and a good perimeter scorer.

Pels:
CJ + Nance -> Brogdon + WCJ
Pels drop ~$10M in salary to get out of the tax, and get two comparable players who should be better fits on the team.

Chicago:
Portland's future 1st -> #19 (Orlando's '24 pick)
Swaps draft picks to clear the obligation. Bulls choose to have the pick now instead of at some future point.

Portland:
Brogdon -> Nance + Future 1st returned
Blazers get out of the tax, and clear their future pick obligation.

Might be just me, but I have WCJ > CJ

WCJ is slight positive value on value deal. CJ is slight negative to neutral AT BEST on his deal.

Added value going wrong way.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#35 » by Waynearchetype » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:46 pm

They aren't going to pay the tax for 4-5th seed? What?
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#36 » by lordjeff05 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:07 am

Waynearchetype wrote:They aren't going to pay the tax for 4-5th seed? What?

That’s the premise of the thread but I think she will pull the trigger especially if they get past round 1.
MKWB
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by MKWB » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
Yeah this is where I’m at also. Regardless of talent, I think a CJ trade next year is unlikely because of what Griff believes he brings to the locker room. Potentially the same can be said about Larry. His hand may be forced when Trey’s contract kicks in but I don’t think he would trade CJ when there are so many other options to stay under the cap for next year.

We seem to be on the same wavelegnth for a lot of Pels takes, lately. For better or for worse, most Pels trade ideas run into the wall of, "Oh yea, but David Griffin plays it very safe when it comes to trading core guys."

CJ staying I can understand, but having Trey, Dyson, Hawkins, and Jose take those backcourt minutes to develop and rise to new potential would be so much more fun. And I reallllly hope you're wrong about Nance. Leadership and funny meme recaps aside, Nance is the weak link in the rotation. But Willie Green loves to play him big minutes for switchable small ball purposes.

How much better would the Pels be with Okongwu or even Stewart in Nance's role? Claxton could be fun if some sign-and-trade for picks could be reached. That's my realistic focus on the offseason-- what they do with the frontcourt positions. Will both JV and Nance be replaced? Hopefully at least Nance will be.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,847

Post#38 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:02 pm

So I was pretty tough on this guy as a Blazer, but I've seen a lot of numbers this year that the Pels winning is tied very heavily to CJ. When he plays well they win. Period. I'd have zero interest in just salary dumping the guy. Especially if the belief is oh we can depend on Zion/BI. I think that's a super dicey plan. I don't think he's actually a luxury. I'd cut salary elsewhere personally.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MKWB
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by MKWB » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:07 am

Let's say Griffin grows a pair and wants to make a big win-now trade to take this team to the next level. The major shift is making Murphy III available in trades, since he will have a lot of trade value but isn't consistent enough to have a tough contract negotiation with soon.

What's your trade to add a core piece with assets of Murphy III, Daniels, Hawkins, and many picks to offer? Nance as epiring $10m expiring contract filler. McCullom can be traded, too, but in this scenario the idea is to keep him with the core of Zion, Ingram, Herb, McCullom (for now). Ownership has let you know they are willing to go into the tax for a true difference maker.

Lauri and/or DeJounte are the main ones that come to mind.
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#40 » by lordjeff05 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:00 am

MKWB wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:

We seem to be on the same wavelegnth for a lot of Pels takes, lately. For better or for worse, most Pels trade ideas run into the wall of, "Oh yea, but David Griffin plays it very safe when it comes to trading core guys."

CJ staying I can understand, but having Trey, Dyson, Hawkins, and Jose take those backcourt minutes to develop and rise to new potential would be so much more fun. And I reallllly hope you're wrong about Nance. Leadership and funny meme recaps aside, Nance is the weak link in the rotation. But Willie Green loves to play him big minutes for switchable small ball purposes.

How much better would the Pels be with Okongwu or even Stewart in Nance's role? Claxton could be fun if some sign-and-trade for picks could be reached. That's my realistic focus on the offseason-- what they do with the frontcourt positions. Will both JV and Nance be replaced? Hopefully at least Nance will be.

Stewart is interesting because he can shoot. It I’m not sure he is as switchable as Larry. Claxton is definitely as switchable but again I’m not sure about the shooting.

But agreed, front court is the place to see what happens. I kinda think Filipowski could be a fit. I think he’s got a skill set that meshes with our offense and defense but I’m not sure I trust him as took to get major minutes next year.

Return to Trades and Transactions