Sengun..value,offers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Sengun..value,offers 

Post#1 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

Sengun has been great but...J.Green has taken off since he got hurt and HOUSTON hasn't missed him at all...it's also true that although super talented, it's difficult to build on a center with questionable defense, so the the supposed case that they decided to move Sengun... what type of teams would be interested and what could they offer that would attract Houston?...
The Raptors with something around their FRP?
Does it fit next to Wemby?
The Grizzlies?
1+1=11
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,415

Re: Sengun..value,offers 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:Sengun has been great but...J.Green has taken off since he got hurt and HOUSTON hasn't missed him at all...it's also true that although super talented, it's difficult to build on a center with questionable defense, so the the supposed case that they decided to move Sengun... what type of teams would be interested and what could they offer that would attract Houston?...
The Raptors with something around their FRP?
Does it fit next to Wemby?
The Grizzlies?

I don’t think HOU would move him for the first pick in this years draft.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,887

Post#3 » by LarsV8 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 pm

If I were going to move him, it would have to be with value added for a better player who also better fits.

Such a player is hard to find.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,891

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm

I think Green and Sabonis can co-exist just fine.

Here is what I said earlier regarding Amen and Sengun.

Nah, Sengun is much better than David Lee.

Sengun is at 3.1 OBPM while David Lee's peak with the Warriors was 1.4 OBPM.

David Lee Peaked at 23 USG% and 16.5 AST%.
Sengun is at 27 USG% and 25.1 AST%.

Sengun is closer to Domantas Sabonis and the team around him should resemble more of the Kings. Now, Kings always have 4 shooters next to Sabonis. Literally every player Sabonis has played minutes with can shoot the 3 ball.

The current push-pull with Amen/Sengun is that neither can stretch the floor, and you can see it in their respective offensive ratings together compared to when they play without one another.

But, do you really want to emulate the Kings? I think Jalen Green has more to offer than Malik Monk and Jabari Smith Jr's potential defensive presence eclipses Keegan Murray's, but ultimately Amen will need to be able to shoot to succeed long-term next to Sabonis.

It is interesting to see what the Rockets decide moving forward and if the two [Amen and Sengun] can co-exist.

I think the question and purpose of the thread is interesting. Sengun is an All-Star level player at a young age. His value is far greater than any single pick in this draft.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

My first through it Bam Adebayo. The weird 1-for-1 deal. Bam is more proven and significantly better defensively while Sengun has the makings of an offensive system himself.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#6 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

They're not trading him unless the other team offers something stupid like a superstar. He was not making Jalen Green the most harmful player in basketball for months when he's actually a superstar. It's just a silly idea to even say out loud. His defense is over picked on. Metrics have him as fine for a center and they've been a successful defense with him. Even if you thought Jalen becoming a flamethrower is just not playing with Sengun then you still don't trade your 21yo all star level player based on one month of good play from another guy
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,112

Post#7 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

Colbinii wrote:My first through it Bam Adebayo. The weird 1-for-1 deal. Bam is more proven and significantly better defensively while Sengun has the makings of an offensive system himself.

Can’t see any reason for the Heat to consider that. You’d have to be projecting a trajectory for Sengun not currently in evidence particularly with his shooting.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

Hmm I don't like the Sengun or Green argument.

I actually think the bigger story is whether the Rockets are better with Amen starting and Jabari Smith at C. Both can't really happen with Sengun there.

Rockets have some talent that probably suit a stretch big.

We could be looking at a Sabonis for Hali type trade with Sengun where both teams get better.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#9 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:My first through it Bam Adebayo. The weird 1-for-1 deal. Bam is more proven and significantly better defensively while Sengun has the makings of an offensive system himself.

Can’t see any reason for the Heat to consider that. You’d have to be projecting a trajectory for Sengun not currently in evidence particularly with his shooting.
Sengun doesn't need to shoot to be an all NBA level player. But yes yes Sengun is worth approximately two heavily protected picks from bad teams, I know
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Sengun doesn't need to shoot to be an all NBA level player. But yes yes Sengun is worth approximately two heavily protected picks from bad teams, I know

Hmmm is there anything in between Bam and two heavily protected 1sts? Who’s to say.

But yeah he does need to be able to shoot to be an All NBA player. He’s average at best defensively and even Sabonis didn’t have these career averages from distance when he was younger.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#11 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Hmmm is there anything in between Bam and two heavily protected 1sts? Who’s to say.

But yeah he does need to be able to shoot to be an All NBA player. He’s average at best defensively and even Sabonis didn’t have these career averages from distance when he was younger.
No he doesn't, Sabonis himself made it being a non shooter. The 1 a game Sabonis attempts changes nothing about how he's guarded, it's nice he shoots an ok % on them but opposing teams do not care and do not guard him out there. I don't really think Sabonis is a good comp for Sengun anyways but that's another story

The two firsts thing was a jab as you've been the biggest Sengun hater around ever since he was traded on draft night lol
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#12 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Sengun's Annual Growth

Age 19 Season: -1.6 OBPM
Age 20 Season: 1.1 OBPM
Age 21 Season: 3.1 OBPM

A Consistent 2+ OBPM growth for 2 consecutive seasons.

Age 19 Season: 19.1 AST% / 18.8 TOV% / 22.0 USG%
Age 20 Season: 21.0 AST% / 17.3 TOV% / 21.4 USG%
Age 21 Season: 25.1 AST% / 12.5 TOV% / 27.0 USG%

Why does Sengun, who at Age 21 is already producing 21/9/5 on league average efficiency, need to develop shooting? He is one of the best big-men passers in the NBA and he doesn't turn the ball over often.

The Heat may not consider it, but it isn't because "Sengun needs to shoot better--it is because Bam is their "system" on both ends of the court. Projecting into the future, Sengun leaves more ceiling for an offense in the NBA compared to Bam, and a team may value that highly.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm

Colbinii wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Sengun's Annual Growth

Why does Sengun, who at Age 21 is already producing 21/9/5 on league average efficiency, need to develop shooting? He is one of the best big-men passers in the NBA and he doesn't turn the ball over often.

The Heat may not consider it, but it isn't because "Sengun needs to shoot better--it is because Bam is their "system" on both ends of the court. Projecting into the future, Sengun leaves more ceiling for an offense in the NBA compared to Bam, and a team may value that highly.

League average efficiency isn’t good for a big man who stays in the paint. He’s 59th percentile in TS at 58.5. 12th percentile in 3 point shooting, 19th percentile in free throw percentage. Which is why the conversation has shifted in year three here from he will develop a shot to he doesn’t need one. He does or he clogs the paint for anyone else and caps the team’s upside.

He’s 72nd percentile in DEPM alongside Zion and LaVine.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 pm

I think JJJ and Sengun would be a nice fit.

Is something around Bane or Ja possible?
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#15 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Sengun's Annual Growth

League average efficiency isn’t good for a big man who stays in the paint. He’s 59th percentile in TS at 58.5. 12th percentile in 3 point shooting, 19th percentile in free throw percentage. Which is why the conversation has shifted in year three here from he will develop a shot to he doesn’t need one. He does or he clogs the paint for anyone else and caps the team’s upside

It's not good when you're a play finishing big man sure, but he's self creating a large portion of his shots. You should know as a Russell Westbrook fan at the peak of his powers, usage and efficiency are related. And saying a TS isn't good because he's in the paint isn't how TS works... It already accounts for that fact...

And that 72nd percentile is also higher than Jarrett Allen, Trey Murphy, Jabari Smith, Myles Turner, etc, etc. a lot of noise goes into that obviously but epm has him as a + defender ultimately, +0.3

And he's done most of his damage as a roller this year where he has gravity without being a shooter. Teams have to react to him in the middle of the floor or he'll kill you. Did Steven Adams clog the paint for anyone else and cap his teams upside?

Also...he's 21. He's going to get better. He's already above league average efficiency as a scorer with a large usage, very good passer, top 3 at his position and a decent defender... At 21
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#16 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Sengun's Annual Growth

League average efficiency isn’t good for a big man who stays in the paint. He’s 59th percentile in TS at 58.5. 12th percentile in 3 point shooting, 19th percentile in free throw percentage. Which is why the conversation has shifted in year three here from he will develop a shot to he doesn’t need one. He does or he clogs the paint for anyone else and caps the team’s upside.

And P.J. Washington, Dwight Powell, Kenrich Williams and Mike Conley.

Yet Sengun is well ahead defensively of Paolo Banchero [59 DEPM] and Karl-Anthony Towns [65 DEPM] yet get this--all 3 of Sengun, Banchero and Towns are offensive slanted big men and part of great defensive teams.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#17 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I think JJJ and Sengun would be a nice fit.

Sengun+ selections for Ja is very interesting, in my opinion..
1+1=11
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 173

Post#18 » by QMemphis » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

No lol, Grizz are not breaking up the big 3 especially for Sengun. The trade package would be picks based.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by zimpy27 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

QMemphis wrote:

No lol, Grizz are not breaking up the big 3 especially for Sengun. The trade package would be picks based.

You'd be making a new big 3.
Ja/JJJ/Sengun or Bane/JJJ/Sengun

I think Sengun+FVV+FRP for Ja is a good deal for both.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#20 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

You'd be making a new big 3.
Ja/JJJ/Sengun or Bane/JJJ/Sengun

I think Sengun+FVV+FRP for Ja is a good deal for both.
I don't think I'd do that given all of ja's concerns, injury and otherwise

Return to Trades and Transactions