Chicago quick retool w/ Indiana and Miami

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Chicago quick retool w/ Indiana and Miami 

Post#1 » by drosestruts » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 pm

The best assets Chicago has that they could trade are Coby White and Ayo Dosunmu. Both are 24 years old, playing well, and outperforming their contracts. If the Bulls wanted to retool, there's a strong argument that while these players are young enough to retool with, they are the best assets that could be used to fuel a retool.

Two separate trade ideas:

Idea #1 w/ Indiana

Chicago in: Bennedict Mathurin and Jarace Walker

Indiana in: Coby White

Pacers trade two young players on their rookie deals for White who is ready to contribute now and slides right into the starting lineup alongside Haliburton in the backcourt providing shooting, and individual/team playmaking.

Idea #2 w. Miami

Chicago in: MIA 2024 1st, LAL 2026 2nd

Miami in: Ayo Dosunmu

Trade done on draft night, Miami makes their pick for Chicago.

With the additions of Mathurin, Walker, CHI 2024 1st (11), MIA 2024 1st (16) alongside Patrick Wiliams, Dalen Terry, and Julian Phillips the Bulls all of a sudden have 7 players 22 and younger giving them a nice young core
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Re: Chicago quick retool w/ Indiana and Miami 

Post#2 » by Mike lorenzo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 pm

I like store 1 (I wouldn't do 2 for Chicago) I really like Ayo...

Then continue with a 3 team trade...
AC+Vuc to Warriors
Wiggins to MAVS

Maxi+THJ+Moody+FRP Warriors + SRP's from Mavs to BULLS..

And ends up sending Lavine to MAGIC for Denver's Cole Anthony+FRP...

In the range that the Bulls are in, I would get the best center available

Draft /Maxi
Walker/Phillips
P.Williams/ Terry
Ayo /Moody/THJ
Cole/Lonzo/Carter
1+1=11
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 pm

Pacers say no to Idea one, makes no sense.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm

I wouldn't trade one of Mathurin or Walker for White much less both.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#5 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 pm

Am I missing something. Is Coby White really worth Mathuiran AND Walker ???

If I was suggesting trade, I might have Bulls adding to White to get even one of those guys from Pacers.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#6 » by tester551 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Am I missing something. Is Coby White really worth Mathuiran AND Walker ???

If I was suggesting trade, I might have Bulls adding to White to get even one of those guys from Pacers.

I think White is currently the best player of the 3.

I think he has better long-term projection than Mathurian, but not Walker.

I could see White <-> Walker as a fair trade. Or White <-> Mathurian + a small extra.

But White is not worth both players.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#7 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 pm

tester551 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Am I missing something. Is Coby White really worth Mathuiran AND Walker ???

I think White is currently the best player of the 3.

I think he has better long-term projection than Mathurian, but not Walker.

I could see White <-> Walker as a fair trade. Or White <-> Mathurian + a small extra.

But White is not worth both players.

Everything you describe is production or performance. That is a good start for determining value - but not close to the entire value equation.

White only comes with 2x years team control. Then if retained, huge contract as a UFA (so no retention guaranteed). And he can’t be extended - because if he is as good as you say, his current contract doesn’t allow extension for what he will demand.

Walker and Mathurian are younger and rookie contracts (both add value) and RFA. Both are upside plays. (Not that White doesn’t have upside). So, of course their current production isn’t fully baked and is at a different spot in development curve - which helps explain why White production/performance is greater currently.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#8 » by ChettheJet » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:40 pm

OK original idea

Uh, no way they Pacers do #1

I don't give up a still improving Ayo for whoever they draft with the MIA pick, not even caring that people think this is a weak draft and are willing to trade out of it.

Mike lorenzo wrote:I like store 1 (I wouldn't do 2 for Chicago) I really like Ayo...

AC+Vuc to Warriors
Wiggins to MAVS

Draft /Maxi
Walker/Phillips
P.Williams/ Terry
Ayo /Moody/THJ
Cole/Lonzo/Carter

Maybe the Bulls like Cole Anthony but not giving up that high a price or taking on the benchwarmers. Kleber is close to right priced and not too long term but he's already 32 years old and has never made a difference for DAL. THJ at 31 is just showing up on time, playing a mediocre game and piling up pension points. Moody is running low on potential but is that bench player on a great team who doesn't step it up when he goes elsewhere and is asked to do more. GSW pick won't be in the lottery and the DEN pick gets to about 27 or so.

White and Dosnumu are both signed to new team friendly contracts. Both are showing signs of improving, not just over last season but during THIIS season. They and Patrick Williams who you hope steps up when not under the umbrella of Lavine and DeRozan, probably Phillips with a summer of weights and working on his game are the four guys you want to build around to see if you can win within the next 5 years. You keep Drummond as the veteran, hard nosed leader whether he starts of not. The bench at this moment of Craig, Carter and Bitim are genuine role models. Bonus prize if Lonzo comes back. You move on from an aging DeRozan, while Lavine can score efficiently, he's never been a team leader, never played on a team with a winning record, not a playoff force. Vucevic is decent most of the time on offense, just not much on defense. This is the moment to get a pick and a young player in exchange for Caruso. You see what kind of players that other teams seem disappointed in who get the message of being traded and decide to fit in before it's too late for them.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#9 » by Mike lorenzo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 pm

ChettheJet wrote:OK original idea

Uh, no way they Pacers do #1

I don't give up a still improving Ayo for whoever they draft with the MIA pick, not even caring that people think this is a weak draft and are willing to trade out of it.

Mike lorenzo wrote:I like store 1 (I wouldn't do 2 for Chicago) I really like Ayo...

AC+Vuc to Warriors
Wiggins to MAVS

Draft /Maxi
Walker/Phillips
P.Williams/ Terry
Ayo /Moody/THJ
Cole/Lonzo/Carter

Maybe the Bulls like Cole Anthony but not giving up that high a price or taking on the benchwarmers. Kleber is close to right priced and not too long term but he's already 32 years old and has never made a difference for DAL. THJ at 31 is just showing up on time, playing a mediocre game and piling up pension points. Moody is running low on potential but is that bench player on a great team who doesn't step it up when he goes elsewhere and is asked to do more. GSW pick won't be in the lottery and the DEN pick gets to about 27 or so.

White and Dosnumu are both signed to new team friendly contracts. Both are showing signs of improving, not just over last season but during THIIS season. They and Patrick Williams who you hope steps up when not under the umbrella of Lavine and DeRozan, probably Phillips with a summer of weights and working on his game are the four guys you want to build around to see if you can win within the next 5 years. You keep Drummond as the veteran, hard nosed leader whether he starts of not. The bench at this moment of Craig, Carter and Bitim are genuine role models. Bonus prize if Lonzo comes back. You move on from an aging DeRozan, while Lavine can score efficiently, he's never been a team leader, never played on a team with a winning record, not a playoff force. Vucevic is decent most of the time on offense, just not much on defense. This is the moment to get a pick and a young player in exchange for Caruso. You see what kind of players that other teams seem disappointed in who get the message of being traded and decide to fit in before it's too late for them.

My main premise would be to eliminate the veterans this offseason (Vuc/Lavine/AC) not because of the mediocre assets (Warrios FRP + Mavs SRP) not even because of the savings... (although they are obviously sweeteners) it is to ensure a high selection.
Next Draft...I think it's the perfect year...a Draft loaded at the top and a priori only a few teams trying to be terrible...also the "luck of the lottery" which in the NBA is usually very "whimsical". ..and it usually falls into the best narrative..What better story than Cooper Flagg landing in Chicago...if Washington or Portland are the alternative?... conspiracies aside..

Thinking about what would be a perfect offseason for the Bulls (from the outside looking in) I fired AK... and took the year to develop the youngsters... I would make my proposed trade with Warriors/Mavs... Maxi could easily be traded to an expiring contender (thinking Clippers for PJTucker+SRP) although I think he's a good veteran to have and plays a position of need for the Bulls..and THJ is expiring... (And it won't help you win games.)

So the Bulls show up next offseason with a top lottery pick, a ton of cap space, Maxi expiring and a young core with White/Ayo/Moody/Terry/P.Will/Phillips + this year's pick (by the way I would choose a center, I like what I saw from Kel Ware or Yvis Missi in that range)..

Ware/Maxi
Craig/Phillips
P.Williams/Terry/Bitim
Ayo/Moody/THJ
White/Lonzo/Carter
1+1=11
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,236

Post#10 » by BBallFreak » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:20 am

So Miami trades it's first round pick for a backup to Tyler Herro... And Duncan Robinson? It's not like we can slot Robinson at small forward to create time for Ayo Dosunmu because we have Butler and Jaquez there.

This is an easy pass for Miami. We have pretty good luck in the draft. We'll take the extra years of control and the chance to pick a guy who has the opportunity to play.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:02 pm

BBallFreak wrote:So Miami trades it's first round pick for a backup to Tyler Herro... And Duncan Robinson? It's not like we can slot Robinson at small forward to create time for Ayo Dosunmu because we have Butler and Jaquez there.

This is an easy pass for Miami. We have pretty good luck in the draft. We'll take the extra years of control and the chance to pick a guy who has the opportunity to play.

Also, this deal would hardcap Miami at the first apron, as they’re using a TPE, and it would really put them over the second apron. It just legally can’t happen.

Miami will lose all their TPE’s the day the season ends, as they’re over the first apron.

Also, this deal is insanely horrendous for Indy. Just, not even a consideration, even if you took either of the players out of it. Coby White has really been solid and all, but what does Indy need him for? He’s not a defender, and he needs the offense to flow through him some, so how does that happen in Indy with Haliburton and Siakam? We’ve seen he shouldn’t just be an off ball guard, as he withered there with Lavine. Indy already has Haliburton, Nesmith, and McConnell at the ball handling guard, which Nesmith can actually defend. White himself isn’t at all a consideration for Indy in any way.

Return to Trades and Transactions