What should the Wizards do this offseason?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Re: What should the Wizards do this offseason? 

Post#21 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:31 am

zimpy27 wrote:Take on bad money when other teams need it.
Continue to be bad.
Get a top pick in 2025 draft.

Yup. This.

It's really not that complicated.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#22 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:42 am

penbeast0 wrote:
pad300 wrote:A question
Pretty much all of the above proposals have Tyus Jones not resigned. Do people think he will not be open to resigning with the Wizards? (Or do you think that he's just not good enough to be worth resigning?)

I was a big advocate of resigning Tyus to an overmarket but declining contract to create a trade piece down the line but with Jordan Poole shooting above league average since being moved to PG, Tyus becomes a bit less important and down the line, he's not a central piece like Avdija, Coulibaly, or this year's 1st. If we sign him, it's with the intent to trade him if a good offer comes and that may not be what he's looking for.

The Tyus decision is really the only decision that's worth discussing.

Everything else is a no-brainer:
- Draft well.
- Trade Kuzma if you can get decent value
- Continue to trade cap room for picks

Regarding Tyus, I used to be of the mindset that he should be resigned to a declining contract with the intent to have him mentor young guys for a year and then trade him in the future as his contract gets more valuable. But seeing how much better Poole has been at PG, I think it's probably time for Tyus to go. I'd rather add a guy like Markelle Fultz or some other similar big, defensive-minded guard who can play alongside Poole and help cover for Poole defensively. Obviously, if they end up drafting a guy like Stephon Castle, then he would fill that role.

A guy I'd really like to have is Dyson Daniels, but I think it would cost too much to trade for him. He'll probably be cheaper to acquire in another year as the Pelicans start having to worry about resigning all of their rookie contract guys
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,016

Post#23 » by vxmike » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:54 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Trade for Lamelo

Kuzma/2 future 1st rd picks

I guess it wouldn’t be the real Wizards experience not having a max salary guy who hardly plays :lol:
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#24 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:25 am

Oh, most of our really bad salary guys have played . . . when healthy . . . just not at a max salary level.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,503

Post#25 » by Wolveswin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:00 pm

Call up Memphis, any interest in Kuzma + Kispert + #25 for Kennard + Clarke + #7.

BPA at #2 and #7. Tank 2025 season. Hope to hit on draft picks.
penbeast0

Post#26 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:15 pm

drosestruts wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:You really need to choose, go for a gut it this ugly for a few years and stack draft picks high up, or keep as much veteran buttressing as you can.

If you are win or bust, then I see the gut it down. Trade at least 2 of Gafford, Deni, Kuzma, and yes even Deni. Get bad and don't apologize. Sixers style, with all the warts. Trade anything for future anything as a rule.

On the other hand, only 1 team can even win it each year, and empty arenas follow 15 win teams. So, if you are happy to cash the checks from a 32-35 win team, then you would want to keep those 3, re-sign Tyus to what it takes, and maybe you even hit 31 wins next season.

Confused how the Wizards would be doubling their win total while largely keeping the same team?

Keep Jordan Poole as a reserve PG and have him play reasonably well rather than worst player in the NBA level. Also, our center by committee has to work too.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,856

Post#27 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 pm

Sell at Deni's peak value would be priority one for me. You can't take advantage of his cheap contract but a playoff team would love him as a plug-in starter still young locked up affordably. Much better outcome than holding on to him and then trading him at the deadline the year his contract is up for some late 1st which is what they will do(or overpay to keep him which might be worse).

Players like this are far more valuable to good teams than bad ones so you add value to him by trading him.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,120

Post#28 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:54 pm

Giddey for Deni is something I think both should consider. Josh is showing that he has a lot of development left still and he deserves to be featured more. Deni’s affordable deal and nature as a role player would slot in well.
Texas Chuck

Post#29 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:56 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Giddey for Deni is something I think both should consider. Josh is showing that he has a lot of development left still and he deserves to be featured more. Deni’s affordable deal and nature as a role player would slot in well.

What else is OKC adding? The fact that teams simply do not defend Giddey is a real issue and I'm stunned he's still starting. Now on Washington you give him the ball and that certainly helps, but I think his inability to shoot and his contract uncertainty have Deni more valuable.

Which is a crazy 180 by me lol.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Giddey for Deni is something I think both should consider. Josh is showing that he has a lot of development left still and he deserves to be featured more. Deni’s affordable deal and nature as a role player would slot in well.

What else is OKC adding? The fact that teams simply do not defend Giddey is a real issue and I'm stunned he's still starting. Now on Washington you give him the ball and that certainly helps, but I think his inability to shoot and his contract uncertainty have Deni more valuable.

Which is a crazy 180 by me lol.

His play has been markedly different recently, which is why he’s still starting. He had a really good interview yesterday where he talking about working with coach Mark on different things to do when he’s being guarded by bigs.

Now the value here to me is a discount off the recent play but still presumes some level of increase off what we saw earlier in the season.

TL;DR, I’m seeing improvement, is it sustainable or is it March.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,924

Post#31 » by ChettheJet » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:08 pm

I would write off the next 2 years and assemble the assets for the 26-27 season. Don't try to make all the trades this summer but look at who they have that they want to be there in 3 years and make sure they pay. Help Jones with a S&T that looks good in 2 years, keep and play Couliby, Davis, maybe Deni, maybe even Kuzma, Butler sure looked good against the Bulls. But trade the rest when the right deal comes up and just let some of the rest just expire so they're gone.

Try to end up withe 2 draft picks in each of the next three drafts, maybe a bucket of 2nds, maybe take on some older veterans for 2-3 years who look like future deadline deals to contenders to fill in until the 3 year mark you're aiming at.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#32 » by drosestruts » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:18 pm

nate33 wrote:
drosestruts wrote:The Wizards are not only bad, they're often labeled as unserious and not competitive (yes I'm aware they just beat my Bulls the other night).

I'm a big believer in continuous losing creates a losing mind-set that can be hard to get out of.

The Wizards not only need an infusion of talent, they need an infusion of competitive spirit and leadership.

It has only been one year of pathetic play. Panicking and trying to win-now is exactly what they should NOT do. Particularly when the next draft has Cooper Flagg and Ace Bailey.

I think they genuinely wanted to win more this year - like 25-30 wins. They just didn't expect such a spectacular flame out by Poole. But I'm sure the plan all along has been to tank in the 2024-25 season and that's exactly what I expect them to do. There is absolutely no chance they sign a guy like Westbrook.

The Wizards are going to do exactly what a team in this position should do. They'll look to trade their vets for future picks. They'll look to take on bad salary in exchange for picks. And they're going to play their young guys and tank.

I don't think Westbrok would lead to more wins. But he would bring a strong worth ethic, play hard on the floor, and get young players involved.

As a Bulls fan, it's frustrating to draft a bunch of young players but never have a competent point guard that can make sure they're involved, give them opportunities to score, make sure they're finding their spots/opportunities.

I think the Wizards could still be bad with my suggested changes.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#33 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:30 pm

Deni is a much better player than Giddey. He is a MUCH better defender, and his shooting is good enough that teams have to guard him. Giddey's offensive efficiency would collapse if he played for a team bad enough that defenders played him straight up (rather than ignoring him to guard SGA/Chet pick-and-roll actions).

I might trade Kuzma for Giddey, but I'd never trade Deni for him.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#34 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:32 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Sell at Deni's peak value would be priority one for me. You can't take advantage of his cheap contract but a playoff team would love him as a plug-in starter still young locked up affordably. Much better outcome than holding on to him and then trading him at the deadline the year his contract is up for some late 1st which is what they will do(or overpay to keep him which might be worse).

Players like this are far more valuable to good teams than bad ones so you add value to him by trading him.

Sounds great in theory, but show me a deal where the Wizards are getting back value equal to Deni.

The problem is, most good teams who would value Deni's amazing contract also lack the assets to trade for him.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:33 pm

nate33 wrote:

Deni is a much better player than Giddey. He is a MUCH better defender, and his shooting is good enough that teams have to guard him. Giddey's offensive efficiency would collapse if he played for a team bad enough that defenders played him straight up (rather than ignoring him to guard SGA/Chet pick-and-roll actions).

No interest in Kuzma. OKC has a high BBIQ team he’s the opposite of a good fit.

I think there’s also a major difference between what a 21 year old player is able to do as the fourth option on one of the league’s best teams versus a 23 year old on one of the league’s worst teams. Giddey has a lot of upside left.
Texas Chuck

Post#36 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:01 pm

nate33 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Sell at Deni's peak value would be priority one for me. You can't take advantage of his cheap contract but a playoff team would love him as a plug-in starter still young locked up affordably. Much better outcome than holding on to him and then trading him at the deadline the year his contract is up for some late 1st which is what they will do(or overpay to keep him which might be worse).

Sounds great in theory, but show me a deal where the Wizards are getting back value equal to Deni.

The problem is, most good teams who would value Deni's amazing contract also lack the assets to trade for him.

This simply isn't true. Not at any reasonable valuation. Most good teams own multiple picks/swaps and have reasonable matching salary.

Unless the belief is he should return some premium asset, but I think that's misreading his value.

I could put together a bunch of deals that I believe are equal value, but my guess is you would think them light because you value him higher.
penbeast0

Post#37 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:45 pm

nate33 wrote:

Could see Giddey for Avdija but it would take 1sts (plural) coming back as well.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#38 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:57 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
nate33 wrote:

This simply isn't true. Not at any reasonable valuation. Most good teams own multiple picks/swaps and have reasonable matching salary.

Unless the belief is he should return some premium asset, but I think that's misreading his value.

I could put together a bunch of deals that I believe are equal value, but my guess is you would think them light because you value him higher.

He is just turned 23 and is already good enough to be the 3rd starter on a .500 team or the 4th starter on a contender. He probably has a bit more upside given how much he has improved this year alone. He is locked into the next 4 years at money just barely more than a rookie contract for a high pick.

I think he is worth a fairly high lotto pick in something other than the 2024 draft. (In the 2024 draft, I wouldn't trade him for the #1 pick.) Good teams don't have high lottery picks to trade. They only have a basket of lousy picks.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#39 » by mhd » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:02 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I would write off the next 2 years and assemble the assets for the 26-27 season. Don't try to make all the trades this summer but look at who they have that they want to be there in 3 years and make sure they pay. Help Jones with a S&T that looks good in 2 years, keep and play Couliby, Davis, maybe Deni, maybe even Kuzma, Butler sure looked good against the Bulls. But trade the rest when the right deal comes up and just let some of the rest just expire so they're gone.

Try to end up withe 2 draft picks in each of the next three drafts, maybe a bucket of 2nds, maybe take on some older veterans for 2-3 years who look like future deadline deals to contenders to fill in until the 3 year mark you're aiming at.

Davis is a big bust at this point. He might get straight up get cut in the off-season as the Wiz could just use the roster spot on someone worth developing. He's a willing defender, but he's atrocious on offense. Cannot shoot from long distance. Doesn't have NBA athleticism. I severely doubt his 4th year option gets picked up. I called him a bust after seeing him in his first summer league game. I hated the pick on draft day and am the resident Davis hater on the Wiz board to be fair. He's just salary filler right now.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:11 pm

nate33 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
nate33 wrote:Sounds great in theory, but show me a deal where the Wizards are getting back value equal to Deni.

He is just turned 23 and is already good enough to be the 3rd starter on a .500 team or the 4th starter on a contender. He probably has a bit more upside given how much he has improved this year alone. He is locked into the next 4 years at money just barely more than a rookie contract for a high pick.

I think he is worth a fairly high lotto pick in something other than the 2024 draft. (In the 2024 draft, I wouldn't trade him for the #1 pick.) Good teams don't have high lottery picks to trade. They only have a basket of lousy picks.

The number one pick is worth a lot more than Deni. People are going way too overboard.

Return to Trades and Transactions