Could a bad team Playoffs Lead to Stars Asking Out?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

mg
General Manager
And1: 4,042

Re: Could a bad team Playoffs Lead to Stars Asking Out? 

Post#41 » by mg » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:33 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
mg wrote:Trevor does a great job covering the Lakers on his yt channel but he doesn't have any inside info.

My hunch is Lebron was telling the truth when he said he has every intention of finishing his career with the Lakers. His "not much time left" quote was literally telling their FO to make any and all moves necessary this offseason to build a contending team in his final seasons. They will have multiple picks to trade at the draft. This might be the summer to trade AD. I think everything will be on the table for the Lakers.

You want to build a contender around LeBron, but you want to trade Anthony Davis. Those two don't make sense.

If they trade AD then another star such as Trae would be coming back. They'd still have enough picks/pieces to add defensive players. Everything will be on the table. If they can swap AD for a more durable player that would help especially as Lebron nears 40. Yes I know Trae just missed a bunch of time too but missing games is chronic with AD.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,717

Post#42 » by penbeast0 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:43 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Towns of course is one of the answers. :o

He may get traded but he's been really loyal to the team and town; I don't think he tries to force his way out.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,127

Post#43 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:54 pm

penbeast0 wrote:

He may get traded but he's been really loyal to the team and town; I don't think he tries to force his way out.

100%. I see no reason why Towns would want to leave. He seems to love ANT [everyone does--knock on wood!]. The city has embraced him through his hardships [whether it was the terrible teams where us fans were forced to fight for him with our pitch forks or him losing multiple family members due to COVID-19 complications].

The only reason fans actually want to move him is because of $$$ and the emergence of Naz Reid.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,040

Post#44 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:58 am

In the Trae trade discussion it is important to understand how Ressler (owner) views his asset / team. Ressler is in it for the money first and last. ANd as many owners across sports he has understood something very important to the bottom line. It is much easier and cheaper to put butts in seats with a mediocre team with a star player than it is to build a true winner.

The true winner will create much more revenue, but it's very difficult and expensive to create.

Trae is Ressler's cash cow and he is running a mediocre team show. He doesn't want to trade the sure thing for a slim chance of a better payout. This and the fact that Trae seems very content to stay lead me to believe that there is near zero chance that Trae is moved
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,031

Post#45 » by R-DAWG » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:24 am

hugepatsfan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:i think more teams could bail on their stars than their stars asking out

If the Celtics fall short, I could definitely see them *taking calls* on Brown.

This is a popular narrative but not sure I see it. BOS's shortcomings have been ball handling in crunch time situations. Brown is obviously a liability there, but their current lineup is:

PG Holiday
SG White
SF Brown
PF Tatum
C Porzingis

If they try to address ballhandling in crunch time situations, swapping Brown for another SF doesn't seem practical. That's just not a position that typically can address that need. You'd likely need to be trading him for a guard to do that. I don't see how they're going to address that need by trading brown without major changes elsewhere too.

Brown for Mitchell makes sense on so many levels IMO, including Brown being a better long term fit next to Garland in CLE on top of long term team control.

Only real issue with Boston is it makes it hard for them to have their top 5 on the floor together as a Mitchell/white backcourt with holiday at the 3 is very small.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,188

Post#46 » by Flash4thewin » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:26 pm

A real sleeper here would be Butler.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,031

Post#47 » by R-DAWG » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:00 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:A real sleeper here would be Butler.

Butler is interesting because the Heat are all-in and might be at a point where they are running out of gas.

Donnovan Mitchell is driven by contract status

Jaylen Brown if Boston has a disappointing run as he's the only path to changing that team.

Don't sleep on Brandon Ingram
phnart
Junior
And1: 464

Post#48 » by phnart » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:14 pm

Booker is on his way out of Phoenix. He will “chill” in another area code next year. Probably 212.
The moon is a ufo.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,389

Post#49 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:31 pm

I think this surge protects Dallas from a Luka demand this summer even if the lose round 3 to the Clippers. But nothing protects you with regard to Kyrie, though he's been happy and drama free in Dallas to date. Not that that's any kind of security, but I guess its better than the opposite.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#50 » by OriAr » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:09 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:A real sleeper here would be Butler.

I think it's likelier that Pat and Spo decide to blow it up and trade Butler rather than Butler asking out.
I increasingly believe that the Heat have exhausted their current core and have no choice but to completely blow it up and embrace the tank for Flagg (And likely beyond).
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,653

Post#51 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:07 pm

I don't really see any of the following players getting traded this off-season:

Trae Young - I could envision the Hawks doing a full rebuild, but Hawks fans are adamant it will not happen so I have to believe that means keeping Trae.

Dejounte Murray - If Trae is staying... in a recent interview he mentioned how badly he wants to win so I don't see the Hawks downgrading talent in a Murray deal and I don't see who they're getting that's such a better fit as a lateral move/upgrade.

Jaylen Brown - I don't care what happens in the playoffs. I think Boston is keeping this team together.

Mikal Bridges - His salary is so low it won't interfere with their 2025 cap plan and they're likely to use him to recruit free agents.

Karl-Anthony Towns - I can't think of a team that is trying to contend ever trading a player of KAT's caliber unless it was requested.

Brandon Ingram - The Pelicans would need to find a lateral move for a better fit, but who is that guy? I don't see them downgrading talent this off-season.

Lauri Markkanen - I see them extending him, not trading him. The only thing is that he definitely wants the MAX, but if Ainge has other ideas and negotiations go badly, I could see him pivoting and getting a king's ransom for Lauri in a dry market.

On the other hand... players that I could see a path to being traded...

Donovan Mitchell - I could see a world where he doesn't extend and makes it known he is going to explore free agency leading to an inevitable trade.

Joel Embiid - I have this one as very unlikely, but I could also see a path where he looks at how good of a soldier he's been through Philly's ups and downs combined with Philly striking out in free agency/trades for a 3rd star and asks out. Again, very unlikely, but if Philly just runs it back then maybe?

Kevin Durant - He doesn't care, he wants what he wants and if Phoenix gets eliminated Round 1 or earlier then I could see him wanting to go back East given the Suns limited ability to improve this off-season.

There really isn't any one else noteworthy besides KD or Mitchell (and mayyyyybe Embiid)
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,539

Post#52 » by Wolveswin » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:25 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:In the Trae trade discussion it is important to understand how Ressler (owner) views his asset / team. Ressler is in it for the money first and last. ANd as many owners across sports he has understood something very important to the bottom line. It is much easier and cheaper to put butts in seats with a mediocre team with a star player than it is to build a true winner.

The true winner will create much more revenue, but it's very difficult and expensive to create.

Trae is Ressler's cash cow and he is running a mediocre team show. He doesn't want to trade the sure thing for a slim chance of a better payout. This and the fact that Trae seems very content to stay lead me to believe that there is near zero chance that Trae is moved

What about Jalen Johnson for Towns? From a Hawks fan POV…

Hawks would get Ressler another star for butts in seats and be the talk of the offseason. Trae would be happier seeing Hawks go all-in.

Wolves get a young player for Towns who fits with Edwards (and McDaniels).
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#53 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:32 pm

Durant is in the position where he might not ask for a trade, but the Suns absolutely must trade him regardless.

They need to trade Durant for a PG, a C, and 3D PF for their team to make any sense.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,539

Post#54 » by Wolveswin » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:34 pm

Colbinii wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

The only reason fans actually want to move him is because of $$$ and the emergence of Naz Reid.

Which makes a ton of sense. Reid next to Gobert has worked great. Reid replaces 70-80% of Towns…and even a new contract for Reid would be 1/2 Towns $$$.

It all depends on who Wolves get for Towns. 100% a Towns trade can:
a) save Wolves money
b) build a team more long term AND more custom fit for team’s star Edwards
c) make Wolves better.

Queue Shrink.

Yes, Wolves can get better trading Towns. It MAY (big MAY) be a half step back today, for 2+ steps forward longterm. And reason such a BIG MAY, is in theory Reid already replaces 70-80% of Towns at PF. Are you (global you) telling me Wolves can’t find a player for Towns who delivers another 40-70% production (Reid in new Towns role + player X > Towns).
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,274

Post#55 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:14 pm

Brandon Ingram may be on the move to clear the path for Murphy, Herb, Dyson and Hawkins to pick up all of those minutes. Perhaps something centered around Jalen Duren. If he wasn't an expiring in 2025, I might feel differently, but he is going to want a raise and I'd rather keep that wing quartet than BI.

The unfortunate truth is, that it is highly unlikely he makes another all-star game in the Western Conference, but he still could in the East.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
NYG
RealGM

Post#56 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:53 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Brandon Ingram may be on the move to clear the path for Murphy, Herb, Dyson and Hawkins to pick up all of those minutes. Perhaps something centered around Jalen Duren. If he wasn't an expiring in 2025, I might feel differently, but he is going to want a raise and I'd rather keep that wing quartet than BI.

The unfortunate truth is, that it is highly unlikely he makes another all-star game in the Western Conference, but he still could in the East.

Brandon Ingram for Dejounte Murray and 10th Overall?
NYG
RealGM

Post#57 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:55 pm

phnart wrote:Booker is on his way out of Phoenix. He will “chill” in another area code next year. Probably 212.

Booker has to be on the "sneaky names that could ask out" if the Suns miss the playoffs after the play-in which would mean KD would ask out which would be crazy after just giving up all of those picks.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,274

Post#58 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:03 pm

NYG wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Brandon Ingram may be on the move to clear the path for Murphy, Herb, Dyson and Hawkins to pick up all of those minutes. Perhaps something centered around Jalen Duren. If he wasn't an expiring in 2025, I might feel differently, but he is going to want a raise and I'd rather keep that wing quartet than BI.

Brandon Ingram for Dejounte Murray and 10th Overall?

That could be a possibility, although, I wonder if New Orleans would want a proven big (and Capela don't count). That is a trade that would make me think. Then again, it does not clear the logjam unless you're moving McCollum and he is very important in their locker room.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
NYG
RealGM

Post#59 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:08 pm

NYG wrote:
phnart wrote:Booker is on his way out of Phoenix. He will “chill” in another area code next year. Probably 212.

Booker has to be on the "sneaky names that could ask out" if the Suns miss the playoffs after the play-in which would mean KD would ask out which would be crazy after just giving up all of those picks.

Booker for Vassell, Keldon, Spurs 1st, Raptors 1st and 2 Hawks 1sts

Return to Trades and Transactions