Construct a trade where the Nets get Mitchell+another star while keeping Bridges+Claxton

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,914

Re: Construct a trade where the Nets get Mitchell+another star while keeping Bridges+Claxton 

Post#41 » by LarsV8 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:18 pm

The problem I see is it is very hard to pull off a bunch of big trades for big names.

There is the usual 3-6 months of X wont extend, X will extend, Y will take best package no matter what, Z is offering this w/ no extension. And he is traded to surprise team Q. Z never wanted him anyway.

Also not considering is there will be bidders with good asset packages competing against nets offers.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: Construct a trade where the Nets get Mitchell+another star while keeping Bridges+Claxton 

Post#42 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:59 am

LarsV8 wrote:The problem I see is it is very hard to pull off a bunch of big trades for big names.

There is the usual 3-6 months of X wont extend, X will extend, Y will take best package no matter what, Z is offering this w/ no extension. And he is traded to surprise team Q. Z never wanted him anyway.

Also not considering is there will be bidders with good asset packages competing against nets offers.

This is true, and why if a Mitchell to BK trade goes down at all, and more so in the summer, it’s probably the only big move at first. There might be a schmedium cap friendly follow up, but probably not a blockbuster.

‘25 off-season would be the more likely for the secondary move, if there was one.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,142

Post#43 » by zimpy27 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:08 am

Dejounte Murray and Mitchell seem like a great backcourt if Nets can keep Bridges and Claxton.

I think Simmons could be interesting on the Hawks in a contract year.
I think CamJ makes sense for Cavs.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#44 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:15 am

zimpy27 wrote:Dejounte Murray and Mitchell seem like a great backcourt if Nets can keep Bridges and Claxton.

Way too small.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,142

Post#45 » by zimpy27 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:53 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Dejounte Murray and Mitchell seem like a great backcourt if Nets can keep Bridges and Claxton.

Way too small.

Both have 6'10 wingspans...

That's about average for an SF.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 326

Post#46 » by JKiddy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:14 pm

Okay I went too far.

But, this trade would not be for BK based on future plans and current needs. We are clearing cap for 2025 as well as bringing in a guard/swingman type of player this off season it seems.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,405

Post#47 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:34 pm

drchaos wrote:
NYG wrote:
drchaos wrote:
This is why the Nets should want to get one star now and get the other star via free agency.

Can they re-sign Claxton and still have cap space with Mitchell and Bridges cap holds?

It is a good question for the capologists.

Bridges will be under a reasonable contract in 2025 but Cam Thomas and Dayron Sharpe will have cap holds.

DFS (over 30) has to go.

They might also have to sacrifice Cam Johnson if they want to keep Cam Thomas and Nic Claxton.

They are currently sitting just under that cap for next year. I don’t thinking adding a star via free agency is an option.
What will Claxton get paid? Enough to put them well over the cap, and his cap hold is already enough to put them over.
Sign here
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#48 » by JKiddy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:06 pm

CamJo would be gone most likely here.

They would build around Mitchell, Bridges, Claxton, and Cam Thomas in this scenario. They would let Clowney and Wilson further develop as well.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:46 pm

JKiddy wrote:CamJo would be gone most likely here.

They would build around Mitchell, Bridges, Claxton, and Cam Thomas in this scenario. They would let Clowney and Wilson further develop as well.

They would not build around Cam Thomas, Cam Thomas sucks.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by JKiddy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:40 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Who are you?

Cam Thomas is a home grown elite scorer. He is now passing at a normal rate and making positive reads. He is getting better defensively.

How many players do you know in the league that can score 30 in their sleep and drop 40 any night? It is much rarer than you think. There might be like 12 people who can do that now.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:51 pm

JKiddy wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Who are you?

Cam Thomas is a home grown elite scorer. He is now passing at a normal rate and making positive reads. He is getting better defensively.

How many players do you know in the league that can score 30 in their sleep and drop 40 any night? It is much rarer than you think. There might be like 12 people who can do that now.

Why do you think the Nets are one of the worst offensive teams in the NBA.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,447

Post#52 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:57 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

It’s tough to build around a tiny offense only sg unless he is truly an elite talent.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,072

Post#53 » by tidho » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:59 pm

Given CLE will be under a little pressure to move Mitchell (if they're eventually considering it), and the limited market of teams that will take him given his contract structure...

Mitchell -4- two Cams, two firsts.

jayjaysee wrote:
NYG wrote:Could a Trae/Mitchell back court work?

Have to aim lower than those two. It’s one of those two with a Lauri, Murray, Ingram level secondary star.

you're suggesting i could get one of those guys for Mitchell? :P

sign me up for Lauri and a 1st.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,525

Post#54 » by jayjaysee » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:26 pm

tidho wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
NYG wrote:Could a Trae/Mitchell back court work?

Have to aim lower than those two. It’s one of those two with a Lauri, Murray, Ingram level secondary star.

you're suggesting i could get one of those guys for Mitchell? :P

sign me up for Lauri and a 1st.

I was saying Brooklyn doesn’t have the assets to land Mitchell and Trae (without losing Bridges, or commenting about how it wouldn’t work..) Not even really sure if Brooklyn can get one of Lauri/Ingram if they’ve added Mitchell or Trae.

I don’t think Cleveland would be interested in a do over at this point, but for fun.. Would they let Okoro walk, trade Caris for cap space.. Fill roster with vet mins.. and be in a position to offer Lauri a renegotiate and extend in end of December similar to Sabonis’ contract?

Maybe get lucky and can use the room exem in December/January..

I don’t see Lauri passing on that extra 13-14 million if he’s traded to a good team..
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#55 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pm

This is a copy pasta from the Nets board. Enjoy lol.

Hear me out, this is going to be a bit long… :lol:

This summer is probably the one to get all NBA 2K with the trades and Marks working some magic and manipulating the cap to our advantage.

A series of trades, followed by signings and re-signings.

Trade 1
Brooklyn sends:
Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
Day’ron Sharpe
Dariq Whitehead
Bunch of 1st round picks
Bunch of 2nd round picks

Cleveland sends:
Donovan Mitchell

Would love to see this expanded with a DFS for Caris swap, don’t know Cleveland would be amendable.

Sadly, can definitely see Dariq Whitehead as a Cleveland demand/requirement here.

I don’t think we need to go into this too much. If Spida won’t commit to the Cavs, very good chance they move him ASAP. In that scenario he will have a short list, we are rumored to be atop said preferences, and even dealing only half the first round draft picks at our disposal and including only a couple young guys, we should have far and away the healthiest offer out of any realistic destinations.

Same thoughts as the follow up trade, if Cleveland wants to remain a contender, they can divert some or all of the picks, prospects and players, even add some of their own, to attempt landing a star to add to Garland and Allen and/or Mobley.

Yes there is certainly their own pick equity from the original acquisition of Donny from Utah hanging over their heads if they remain put with a direct trade with Brooklyn(or any of the offers they get from teams on his list), but almost literally ever important core player on their roster is 26 or younger, extended at a super fair number, or will be restricted when they hit free agency.

Their time is not only now, it’s the future as well, especially if they can remain in that 38-48 win range post trade, yet still have some combination of PHO/DAL/PHI/CLE picks coming in spread over years. They can take a swing at the next big name out there in a year or two through trade, or hope those picks wind-up lotto, and draft a kid they love for the long term as a cornerstone piece.

Trade #2
Brooklyn sends:
Dennis Schröder or DFS
Jalen Wilson
Ben Simmons
Bunch of 1st round picks
Bunch of 2nd round picks

Minnesota sends:
KAT
Mike Conley

Rumors are there will be salary cutting and attempts to change up the fit with KAT and Gobert. If this deal went down, methinks they want Schröder if Conley is outgoing. This opens things up for them significantly going forward, cap and tax-wise, while getting them an asset rich return, a play-from-day-one young guy with a starter level ceiling, and a starting level point guard who they can try and re-sign summer of ‘25, or take even further salary savings letting him walk.

They want to remain in contention, like Cleveland, which they are damn close to with KAT out of the lineup as is, but this could very likely open up to a three or four team deal as well, with all or some of the picks going elsewhere for a player they covet.

Regardless this opens up enormous flexibility for the Wolves and their tumultuous ownership and cap situation, while bringing back proper assets, for a player who brings polarizing opinions on his value, and more importantly, on court impact.

This is mainly due to his needing to be a center on both offense and defense to cause proper mismatches, but not anchoring a defense like a center should. He’s hard to simultaneously take advantage of his offensive prowess, but pair him with another front court big that not only helps mask his defensive deficiencies, but allows his team as a whole to have a top level defense. Enter Nic Claxton.

Re-signing Clax
After these two trades we’re left with the following cap numbers:

Donovan Mitchell - $35.4
KAT - $49.3
Mike Conley Jr - $10
Mikal Bridges - $23.3
DFS - $15
Clowney - $3.2
Whitehead - $3.2
Claxton’s cap hold - $16.6
Empty cap holds - $4.6

$160.6 million total.

Assuming one FA signed removes a cap hold, essentially $159.4 million.

Estimated luxury tax should start around $175 iirc.

You can use the full Non-taxpayer’s MLE as long as you didn’t dip below the cap, nor will go above the first apron after all signings in the summer.

Even if Clax full salary and not his cap hold is instituted, he would probably start around $24 mill with full escalations, probably a 5 year deal where his agent negotiates a ETO in year 4 or 5.

That would put us at $167 mill.

MLE is about $13 mill starting and tax apron will be at least in the mid $180’s.

These numbers are with Whitehead still on the roster. Chances are he’ll be Cleveland bound, making it even easier to re-sign Clax and still have the full MLE at our disposal. In fact, depending on the tax and first apron, possibly even able to use the Bi-Annual exception as well, or hold Walker or Watford and re-sign one of them.

MLE Targets:

These players are likely the type available for that type of coin. Feel free to add anybody interesting I’m forgetting:

Tobias Harris
Buddy Hield
Bruce Brown
Gary Trent Jr
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Jonas Valanciunas
Malik Beasley
Royce O’Neale
Malik Monk
Luke Kennard
PJ Tucker
Eric Gordon
Grayson Allen
Obi Toppin
Kevin Love
Derrick Jones Jr
Spencer Dinwiddie
Tyus Jones
Moritz Wagner
Talen Horton-Tucker
Alec Burks

Lots of options.

Then a vet min ring chaser or two, and a patented Nets scouting department G League or overseas minimum pickup.

Things could be really interesting.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#56 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:30 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:This is a copy pasta from the Nets board. Enjoy lol.

I don’t think either team does those trades - Cavs maybe, Wolves 100% no.

Cavs will demand Bridges, if Nets say no, Cavs have standing offers from Lakers, Heat, Knicks, and maybe a few other short list options - that have better win now talent than Johnson and Cam. Nets would have to hope Mitchell pulls a AD and demands only Brooklyn - then trade accordingly.

Wolves can get waaaay better win now players than that puh puh platter for Towns.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#57 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:56 pm

Wolveswin wrote:

Cavs will demand Bridges, if Nets say no, Cavs have standing offers from Lakers, Heat, Knicks, and maybe a few other short list options - that have better win now talent than Johnson and Cam. Nets would have to hope Mitchell pulls a AD and demands only Brooklyn - then trade accordingly.

Still think some of you guys are way overselling other teams offers for Mitchell and underselling Brooklyn.

Are the Heat about to trade Bam or Butler for Mitchell?

Lakers about to trade AD or LeBron?

Knicks gonna send Brunson? Are they getting OG to agree to a S&T? Are we really putting OG at that high a level to offer mediocre picks attached to him? Let alone him costing $40+ mill a year on average for 43-69 games a year, pretty much literally each and every season of his career?

What win now pieces are other teams offering that are so good for Cleveland better than the Cam’s, Sharpe, factoring in the premium picks as well, and a young prospect like Whitehead? Herro? An E&T Russell that doesn’t fit at all?

Whose the mystery team? Bucks sending crippled AARP Middleton? With no picks? No prospects?

Atlanta gonna take a shot and offer Murray, but with nothing else of value? Sure, Nets will keep cap open and wait for ‘25 FA, while making a cap conscious star trade elsewhere.

I just don’t think I’m biased when we analyze the offers from other realistic suitors and say, the Nets easily have the superior offer, whether directly, or involving multiple teams.

Also you’ve come up with similar trades for Mitchell to BK, I’m confused. :lol:

Wolves can get waaaay better win now players than that puh puh platter for Towns.

Not so sure.

Again these two offers are under the premise most if not all the PHO/DAL/PHI picks and a BK pick or two are distributed in some fashion between the two trades.

You’re ignoring the immense cap savings, a starting caliber, much younger point guard. Wilson has the looks of a promising rotation player, good chance he can be an average starting level forward within a couple seasons. And again, the draft picks.

KAT is a polarizing player. Think a lot of GM’s would take Markkanen over him straight up if the asset costs were identical, and cap difference slightly in Lauri’s favor, especially if you’re looking for a 2a/b option.

Honestly, on paper asset/draft capital value, this is right about there imo.

Again, the cap savings are enormous. If he gets moved, I think the lack of suitors willing to come off big value for him are going to be slim, if they’re also offering real cap savings.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,745

Post#58 » by DowJones » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:13 pm

Johnson, Clowney, 2027 and 2029 PHX first is really the lowest package I think I would accept for Mitchell as a Cavs fan. I really do believe LA and even Miami could beat a lesser offer.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#59 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:17 pm

DowJones wrote:Johnson, Clowney, 2027 and 2029 PHX first is really the lowest package I think I would accept for Mitchell as a Cavs fan. I really do believe LA and even Miami could beat a lesser offer.

And I’m thinking that will likely be the offer but with Whitehead or Wilson in place of Clowney; and the Philly pick and possibly one of the Houston swap year firsts added; and Cam Thomas, maybe rerouted for a pick in the 10-20 range in the ‘24 draft.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#60 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:19 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Still think some of you guys are way overselling other teams offers for Mitchell and underselling Brooklyn.

Are the Heat about to trade Bam or Butler for Mitchell?

Lakers about to trade AD or LeBron?

Knicks gonna send Brunson? Are they getting OG to agree to a S&T? Are we really putting OG at that high a level to offer mediocre picks attached to him? Let alone him costing $40+ mill a year on average for 43-69 games a year, pretty much literally each and every season of his career?

What win now pieces are other teams offering that are so good for Cleveland better than the Cam’s, Sharpe, factoring in the premium picks as well, and a young prospect like Whitehead? Herro? An E&T Russell that doesn’t fit at all?

Whose the mystery team? Bucks sending crippled AARP Middleton? With no picks? No prospects?

Atlanta gonna take a shot and offer Murray, but with nothing else of value? Sure, Nets will keep cap open and wait for ‘25 FA, while making a cap conscious star trade elsewhere.

I just don’t think I’m biased when we analyze the offers from other realistic suitors and say, the Nets easily have the superior offer, whether directly, or involving multiple teams.

Also you’ve come up with similar trades for Mitchell to BK, I’m confused. :lol:

Not so sure.

Again these two offers are under the premise most if not all the PHO/DAL/PHI picks and a BK pick or two are distributed in some fashion between the two trades.

You’re ignoring the immense cap savings, a starting caliber, much younger point guard. Wilson has the looks of a promising rotation player, good chance he can be an average starting level forward within a couple seasons. And again, the draft picks.

KAT is a polarizing player. Think a lot of GM’s would take Markkanen over him straight up if the asset costs were identical, and cap difference slightly in Lauri’s favor, especially if you’re looking for a 2a/b option.

Honestly, on paper asset/draft capital value, this is right about there imo.

Again, the cap savings are enormous. If he gets moved, I think the lack of suitors willing to come off big value for him are going to be slim, if they’re also offering real cap savings.

You are dealing with two teams in Cavs and Wolves that value win-now talent, not picks. Let’s break down Mitchell offer because your Towns offer is laughable (from a win-now player perspective).

Nets are offering:
Johnson
Cam Thomas
Plus picks

Heat offer:
Herro
Jaquez
Plus picks

Lakers offer:
Reaves
Rui
Plus picks

Both those offers start with better win-now players. Can Nets offer more in draft capital to make up value? Yes. Cavs will need to evaluate how much more Nets offer is to make up win-now player delta.

Return to Trades and Transactions