The Eliminateds Off-Season (Nets/Hornets/Pistons/Rockets/Grizzlies/Trail Blazers/Spurs/Raptors/Jazz/Wizards)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,660

Re: The Eliminateds 

Post#21 » by yosemiteben » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:08 pm

HornetJail wrote:100% gone:
STEVE CLIFFORD AND MITCH KUPCHAK :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Technically neither of those guys will be 100% gone
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,939

Re: The Eliminateds Off-Season (Nets/Hornets/Pistons/Rockets/Grizzlies/Trail Blazers/Spurs/Raptors/Jazz/Wizards) 

Post#22 » by K_chile22 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:24 pm

100% staying for rockets: no one technically. Close enough to 100%? I'd say Amen, Sengun, Tari Bari and FVV are all >95% and Jalen a bit lower than that but still pretty high.

100% gone... Also no one. Closest is probably Bullock, imagine both sides thought he'd figure in more, or Boban if he wants to hang it up or they don't think they still need a vibes guy.

They need a movement shooter, not necessarily a every night rotation guy but just a knockdown guy. Think they should avoid a Jalen extension unless it's very favorable for them, preferably they leave as much flexibility for next off-season as possible.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: The Eliminateds 

Post#23 » by VCfor3 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 pm

psman2 wrote:Memphis: I like the percentage angle here.

100% Chance Back This is our core and only way we move one is in a star for star trade and I don't see one on the horizon this offseason.
Ja
JJJ
Bane

95% Chance Back: Salary so cheap we would never move them unless the cherry on top of a star trade.
Vince Williams
GG Jackson

80% Chance Back:
Marcus Smart - he still fills in a ton of holes for us that he very likely isn't traded, but that are scenarios where we would consider it.
Brandon Clarke- Has looked good enough to be worth his contract again and is very much needed. But if the right trade came along that we needed his salary and he wasn't viewed as a negative asset he could be moved.
Scotty Pippen Jr. - We have on a 2 way contract next year but I think he will be pressuring us to convert him or letting him go. I think we keep him on the 2 way to start the season and convert him when and if it makes sense. He is a nice 3rd PG and shown enough to warrant a regular NBA contract.
Trey Jemison - We have him locked into a 2 way deal and he as played well enough that we want to bring him back. Small chance we find someone better than him so I he has a high likelihood of staying.

75% Chance Back:
Santi Aldama - starting playing really well the 2nd half of the season. But his limited D will likely limited him to a 3rd big type of role with us. He has some trade value and could be flipped if needed but likely stays since we are so thin in the frontcourt.
Jake LaRavia - has recently started looking like the guy we hoped when he was drafted. Can play the 3/4 and has 2 more cheap years. But he will very likely be buried next year still with GG and VWill stepping up and could be moved if needed.
Konchar - He is our swiss army knife and a very good 9th man. I think more than likely we keep him, but we might need to use his salary in a trade since we don't have a lot of tradeable salary.
Derrick Rose - likely stuck with him, but could see us trying to dump him into space to open up more room under the apron.

50% Chance Back:
Yuta Watanabe - Has a player option for 2.6m. Memphis would prefer him gone but he is not the worst guy to have as a 12th guy. If I was him I would opt out and sign with a team that has more available playing time for him versus not seeing the floor here and could be flipped to anywhere in a trade. I think he opts out.

30% Chance Back:
Luke Kennard - At this point if we cannot make a trade before the draft it just make more sense to decline his option and see what happens in FA. We can open up the full MLE and SNT possibilities without him on the roster. There is a chance we hold him or resign him after his release but I think that is likely not in the cards.
Zaire Williams - He again only showed flashes of nice play this year before his injury. I think he has a high likelihood of being dumped into cap space to open up more room under the apron or just save tax dollars. I think there will be a few teams willing to kick the tires on him as an expiring and won't cost us a lot to move off his money.

10% Chance Back:
Lamar Stevens- I just don't think we will have the roster spot for him. Nice player but the math just doesn't work.
Jordan Goodwin - Again nice depth player but don't think he will take another 2 way I think that is all we would offer.

3 Things we must accomplish.
1. Frontcourt: We need to get a bigger body center that can play 20-25 minutes. Ideally someone that can guard some on the perimeter so we can run different defensive sets rather than just dropping him. We will have a bunch a different avenues to obtain that player, draft, MLE and trades.
2. Address our frontcourt again: Even after landing a 20-25 minute guy there we need to replenish our depth some more. Depending on what we do in the draft and FA this might just be vet min or 2nd rounders in this role.
3. Try to minimize our tax and stay below the apron: I think our goal is to improve the team as much as possible while staying below the apron. If we can find ways to improve the team and stay out of the tax that would be great but I don't think tax avoidance is going to be the driving factor this offseason.

I agree with all of this except I would swap LaRavia, Yuta, and Rose into the 30% group and move Luke to either the 50% or 75% groups. I think LaRavia having a solid finish helps, but he still was pretty bad up to that point. I could see us using him as salary filler in a trade and letting the other team sell him to the fan base as minor value based on his recent play. I could see Yuta opting out to either get more money somewhere else or to get a better opportunity somewhere else for fairly similar money. Rose I think we will try to include in any potential trade as one of our preferred salary fillers. Luke I think we keep around unless we really need his salary in a trade. His shooting is much needed. If he isn't traded, I could see us declining the option and extending him on a cheaper 2-3 year deal.

Rose+Ziaire+LaRavia is just over $12.8m. None of those three figure into our regular rotation so I could see us trying to shop that around as the expiring filler for a S&T or just regular trade plus whatever assets are needed.

As for the apron, I think we definitely push to stay under the 2nd apron and only push to aim lower if we are already close after whatever moves we make. I could see us being willing to have one expensive year to see what we really have as long as the additions are worth it.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Re: The Eliminateds Off-Season (Nets/Hornets/Pistons/Rockets/Grizzlies/Trail Blazers/Spurs/Raptors/Jazz/Wizards) 

Post#24 » by mhd » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:13 pm

For the Wizards:

1. The following players will 100% be back with the team next year...
i). Deni
ii). Bilal Coulibaly
iii). Tristan Vukjevic
iv). Jordan Poole

Deni really grew this season and showed he can be part of any NBA contender. His contract extension is ridiculously cheap, so unless the Wizards get a godfather offer, they are keeping him. With this upcoming draft's dearth of star potential players, I wouldn't trade him for the #1 pick.

Bilal showed significant defensive potential right from the jump. His jumper wasn't too bad either for a raw athletic rookie. He needs to hit the weight room hard in the off-season. Had an unfortunate wrist injury that robbed him of valuable minutes towards the end of the year.

Vukjevic really showed some offensive ability in the limited time with the Wizards are he came over late in the season from the European club. He needs to get stronger obviously, but he's got some talent for sure.

Poole isn't tradeable with his contract. Looked much better when Jones got injured and he became the starting PG. Better to rehab his value. He, by all accounts, works hard and isn't a hothead team cancer type.

Kispert brings shooting and an underrated drive game. He'll never be a star or anything, but he's been a good pick where he was taken (mid first outside the lotto). I think the Wizards resign him to a cheap extension as he provides much needing spacing for Deni, Bilal, and whomever they draft this upcoming season. He's not worth much on the open market IMO, so better to keep him than let him go.

2. The following players will 100% be gone next year...

Tyus Jones (Jones played pretty well for the most part with the Wizards. Took care of the ball, has a wicked floater, and shot well. However, he's a complete sieve on defense and he cannot share the court with Poole (who is untraceable). Poole looked much better when he became the point guard. Since Poole isn't movable, the best option for the Wizards is to let Jones walk (including via a potential S&T for a trade exception). Jared Butler showed some talent as a potential backup PG who was resigned to a cheap 3 year deal at the end of the season anyways.

Johnny Davis (I'm the resident Davis hater in the Wizards forum. I hated the pick pretty much from day 1 and called him a bust after watching him in his Summer league debut. He looked horrendous in his debut pre-season as well. The new FO never drafted him and I can't fathom they pick up his 4th year option making him an expiring contract. If he's not traded as contract filler in a trade to take on other people's bad deals, then I can see him getting cut. Very limited athletically and does not have a jumper that threatens defenses limiting space for everyone else. Looks the part the defensively, and competes hard on that end. However, with his limited athleticism, elite wings will torch him (Ant crushed him at the end of the season).

Omuruyi, Jules Bernard, Justin Champagnie are just G-league talents that could easily be gone. They compete hard whenever they play.

Patrick Baldwin JR may make it back since he was received as a former first rounder in the Poole-CP3 trade. He had a bad back injury in college and it was night and day the difference from Summer league and the end of the season for his athleticism to come back. He has a nice stroke, and showed some flashes. I could see the Wiz picking up his option as a potential lotto ticket as a stretch big.

3. The 3 things my team must accomplish this off-season are... (Note: this could be cap wise, on the court needs wise, coaching change, free agency/draft needs/targets, etc.)

Keep interim coach Brian Keefe. He was light years better than Wes Unseld Jr as a coach despite the record. Unseld was a pure Nepo hire from the previous FO and our utter fool of an owner Ted Leonsis. The new FO has no ties with him. Keefe got the team to improve defensively despite the limited talent and compete hard.

Kuzma is the interesting case. He has a declining contract and is certain to be a rotation player for any playoff team. He seems like a positive guy who likes being in DC. If the Wiz get a couple of firsts, I can see them trading him. Otherwise, I can see them keeping him until the deadline. He won't be given away.

In terms of strategy, the Wizards do not control their first round pick as the Knicks own it (this year it will not convey). It is top 10 protected next year (no way the Wizards convey that) and top 8 protected the year after. If it is not conveyed, then it turns into two seconds. So, the Wizards will continue to tank to avoid giving that pick. That means no trades of consequence to try for the play-in.

The Wiz will continue to attempt to get picks from every trade (so far, the new FO has acquired at least one draft pick in every trade they have made so far in their limited time running the team). I'd expect them to use the expiring contracts of Holmes, Davis (with his option declined), and potentially Bagley (who looked good when he came over in the trade that netted them two 2nd rounders) to get some other team's unwanted contract in exchange for draft picks.

In terms of the draft, the Wiz will simply draft BPA IMO. WIth thus draft, I'd figure Topic & Sarr are the top targets. Otherwise, they'll just go with best talent. I trust the new FO since it looks like they hit a home run with the Vukcevic 2nd round pick. Drafting Bilal showed me they want potential all-star talent vs taking no risks like the previous FO did (taking Johnny Davis was an indefensible pick given his lack of potential).

Basically, the Wizards are a landing spot for any other team's trash as long as they get draft picks LOL.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,522

Post#25 » by LofJ » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:18 pm

Brandon Miller, LaMelo Ball, Mark Williams, Cody Martin, Nick Smith, Grant Williams, and Vasilije Micic.

I think Tre Mann is likely to be back next year as well, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's traded. Everyone else has one leg out of the door.

Bertans (cost too much), JT Thor (just doesn't bring enough on offense), and Bryce McGowens (we're likely drafting a wing to take his spot).

I'm up in the air with Nick Richards. I think a veteran center will be our top free agent priority after re-signing Bridges, but if we strike out he'll be back next season.

3. The 3 things my team must accomplish this off-season are...

Number 1 is upgrading team staff across the board - management, coaches, training and medical personnel, etc. This has been the organization's achilles heel for 20 years. Nothing else matters if new ownership isn't willing to open their checkbook and build a strong organization with competent people.

Number 2 is doing whatever it takes to get LaMelo Ball (especially) and Mark Williams healthy. This team is going nowhere if it can't count on its best offensive and defensive players to actually be on the court. No expense or effort should be spared, do whatever it takes. If we can't get them healthy we're looking at yet another rebuild. The fans really can't take that, we desperately need to experience some success as a fan base.

Number 3, as much as I don't like it, should be signing Miles Bridges to a reasonable deal. The organization stuck its neck out for him, letting him walk after everything that has happened isn't an option. He can always be traded later, but that isn't happening until he's under contract.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,113

Post#26 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:22 pm

Jazz are highly fluid. Answer is, 'depends' for most of the players.

I think the most controversial piece is John Collins. Most of the posters on here just want him gone. I don't agree with that position. I think the Jazz first order of business this offseason will be to renegotiate and extend Lauri. After that, it's quite up in the air.

But, I can see a world in which they look to extend Collins. I could also see a world where he walks in free agency. Or the Jazz move him in a trade.

I would say in order of likelyhood
Trade at next years deadline.
Extension
Trade in summer
Exercises player option and walks as a free agent.
Picks up player option

I'm afraid I don't know all the ins and outs of the CBA. So, I don't really know if and when he's elidable for an extension. I don't know when he has to decide his player option. I don't know if he can be traded after picking up option. So, I have a lot of uncertainly in predicting what will happen with him. But, it does appear that the Jazz either love him with a desire to play 5 out basketball, or they are desparately showcasing him for a trade. Either or both may be true.

I think he will have good value at next year's deadline. Quite a bit more than he does now. And that the Jazz will attempt to move him at that time. But, I definitely won't be shocked if he somehow signs an extension with the Jazz.

No matter how it plays out, I expect much gnashing of teeth for Jazz fans who disagree what whatever happens with him.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 760

Post#27 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:39 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Jazz are highly fluid. Answer is, 'depends' for most of the players.

I think the most controversial piece is John Collins. Most of the posters on here just want him gone. I don't agree with that position. I think the Jazz first order of business this offseason will be to renegotiate and extend Lauri. After that, it's quite up in the air.

But, I can see a world in which they look to extend Collins. I could also see a world where he walks in free agency. Or the Jazz move him in a trade.

I would say in order of likelyhood
Trade at next years deadline.
Extension
Trade in summer
Exercises player option and walks as a free agent.
Picks up player option

I'm afraid I don't know all the ins and outs of the CBA. So, I don't really know if and when he's elidable for an extension. I don't know when he has to decide his player option. I don't know if he can be traded after picking up option. So, I have a lot of uncertainly in predicting what will happen with him. But, it does appear that the Jazz either love him with a desire to play 5 out basketball, or they are desparately showcasing him for a trade. Either or both may be true.

I think he will have good value at next year's deadline. Quite a bit more than he does now. And that the Jazz will attempt to move him at that time. But, I definitely won't be shocked if he somehow signs an extension with the Jazz.

No matter how it plays out, I expect much gnashing of teeth for Jazz fans who disagree what whatever happens with him.

Have to pretty strongly question the BBIQ of Jazz fans with this John Collins love.

He uhhhhhhhh

Anchored the worst defense... In NBA history this year.

He's a center who is just way too small to play center.

He has no value whatsoever as a player on a playoff team.

I would trade the #32 pick and him for Lonzo Ball's expiring because Collins was so awful this year. The game has passed him by and he can't play PF anymore so he just can't play anymore.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 326

Post#28 » by JKiddy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:54 pm

Nets 95% keep Claxton, 60% TW, LW3, 30% DSJ, Simmons, 25% DFS.

They are looking for a trade for the known player that wants to come to BK. But, they are likely looking at a few options.

They keep things super close to the vest. He might be dealt to BK this off-season or he might sign outright in 2025 is CLE decides to let him walk.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 381

Post#29 » by esvl » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 pm

JKiddy wrote:Nets 95% keep Claxton,

Curious whether it is confirmed by either or both. 95% sounds so certain.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by JKiddy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 pm

It seems like they might know they will stay business partners. If the super rich owner was not there maybe this would be an issue. But, they are going to pay him what he deserves (and likely a few million more) just like the CamJo situation. He has stated all season he wants to stay in BK. That is why there is a 5% chance he is traded.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,614

Post#31 » by NYG » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Best players available from the following teams are...

Nets
Hornets
Pistons
Rockets
Grizzlies
Trail Blazers
Spurs
Raptors
Jazz
Wizards

Cam Johnson
DFS
Jae'Sean Tate
Jerami Grant
Jordan Clarkson
Corey Kispert

Who else?
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 760

Post#32 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:38 pm

Ayton and Brogdon.

Sexton and Markkanen are "available" but Ainge will probably want more than teams are willing to give. Kessler is also probably available, but for more than teams will be willing to give. Clarkson and John Collins are definitely available, but unclear if they are considered good at this point and it's not clear who would want them.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 728

Post#33 » by RollingWave » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:52 am

K_chile22 wrote:100% staying for rockets: no one technically. Close enough to 100%? I'd say Amen, Sengun, Tari Bari and FVV are all >95% and Jalen a bit lower than that but still pretty high.

100% gone... Also no one. Closest is probably Bullock, imagine both sides thought he'd figure in more, or Boban if he wants to hang it up or they don't think they still need a vibes guy.

They need a movement shooter, not necessarily a every night rotation guy but just a knockdown guy. Think they should avoid a Jalen extension unless it's very favorable for them, preferably they leave as much flexibility for next off-season as possible.

Agreed that one can't rule out anything (like the bar to being truly untradable has to be you turn down strait up for Luka or something close to that.)

I would imagine that the Rocket's general plan is to mostly just hold steady and develop, probably take the pick (at least the higher one) but generally being open to listening though probably not in a huge hurry to do anything.

The shooter : well primarily they need their kids to shoot better, especially Jalen but pretty much all of them could get better (just that Jalen's overall skillset and position make this more neccesary .) but I suppose they could just be in the general bidding for one of the various degree of shooters from guys like Bullock to Malik Beasly up towards guys like Hield or even Klay, but they are probably not offering more than the mid level for even the best guy of these groups.

They also need a better plan for the non-Fred minutes, though ideally again that would be their kids being able to play pretty organized and effective, or Amen Thompson could at least sort of replicate some of Russell Westbrook style play or something. Aaron Holiday actually way outplayed his contract for them this year but still it's a 6'0 guy with tunnel vision, that's fine as like a bench shooter / spark plug if he's on but if he needs to actually do point guard stuff it's usually pretty bad.

Trade : I don't think there's anyone they love to trade out, but Dillon seems like the most rational given that it's the longest contract and he played fine but had some ups and downs and they have the most glut around the middle 2-3-4 range, at least it'll be hard to imagine him playing through the whole contract on the Rockets.

The Rockets books are lineup so that they have potentially a max and then some after next year, though it would require them to either decline Fred Van Vleet's last year or decline Jalen. so while that's the base case I don't think they'll mind blowing it up (getting someone for longer money than next year) if it's someone that makes sense. the odds that there's a max guy that can just straight up sign and it's worth it while giving up Fred or Jalen seems... limited.
The river of time wash away all heroes
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 939

Post#34 » by Decipher » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:32 am

The coach is just about the only person I feel 100% certain about being on the Nets next season and that’s only because he’s just been hired

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine

GM doesn’t give much away & owner is a loose cannon so expect the unexpected

Or don’t
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by JKiddy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:34 pm

The Nets better not move any of those PHX picks!
NYG
RealGM

Post#36 » by NYG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:35 am

Spoiler:
G R E Y wrote:100% back:

Wemby

Vassell

Sochan

Tre Jones

Keldon

Sidy

Most likely also Blake Wesley, Branham, Dom Barlow

I'd like us to bring back Mamu and Cedi

100% off the team:

This is more of a hope - Julian Champagnie

Collins is a decent back up but at the upcoming cost may be trade fodder. Not sure how Bassey is progressing in rehab... It may affect Collins' future with us.

Perhaps Graham will be looking elsewhere/ we may send him elsewhere after he played fewest games in his career. Great locker room vet though, knows how to play.

Must accomplish: shooters. We made the most 3s in franchise history but that's because we moved up to 11th in attempts per game. Our efficiency is exactly the same as last season, placing us last. Shooters shooters shooters.

Draft well. We have a ton of picks, both our own and from trades so it's a priority to stock pile the team with good high end young talent. It's cheaper and they learn our system from the get go. Priority is BBOQ, two-way play, competitiveness.

Starting level SF. For the love of quality basketball and in the best interest of Spurs fans' nerves.

Even if we keep Tre at PG, fine, but the 3 is a big immediate hole to fill.

The whole go all in with assets to trade for a big star is not happening yet. There may well be some trades made, and it's good to have some vets on the team who are willing to teach younger players and accept a role, but we're not in the business of helping out teams who we've already traded with to get great assets. Let them figure out how to get themselves out of their own holes. In the meantime, we await where their picks land.

We draft 2024, 2025, and are ready to strike for a high end star then. That's not to say we would turn down a great opportunity, but we won't overpay. If after this year some stars are openly talking about what it would be like to play with Wemby, well then things will only get more attractive.

We can improve by drafting guys who push current crop for positions (at times it felt like a few were too comfortable with their jobs and played like they didn't have to be earning anything), and now with the first year of Wemby, we have a much better idea of how to best surround him with quality talent.

Separate wheat from chaff.

Draft well.

Get complementary pieces. 3&D BBIQ.

Strike when it's most opportune with trades.

What's your moderately optimistic/semi-realistic off-seeason for the Spurs?
NYG
RealGM

Post#37 » by NYG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:35 am

Spoiler:
penbeast0 wrote:WIZARDS

CORE (traded only if blown away by one sided offer)
Deni Avdija
Bilal Coulibaly
1st round DCs (2)

BAD CONTRACT
Jordan Poole was one of the worst players in the NBA while being paid like a star. Washington is as far away from contending as any team in the league, maybe farther. No reason to trade him as I see no likelihood of a positive offer. He shoots enough and works hard enough that you keep him and hope he rehabs his value.

END OF BENCH GUYS WITH POTENTIAL
No reason to trade any of these as no one is offering anything much.
Tristen Vukevic -- showed offensive potential as a 2nd rounder in limited time toward the end of the year
Jared Butler -- played well at G league, in garbage time, then in end of year stretch as backup PG. Freshly signed to minimal 3 year deal

TRADE IF GOOD OFFER
Kuzma -- Declining contract might make him attractive to a team that needs a 3rd scorer but can't afford star salary
Kispert -- Has been a terrific shooter his whole career, last year stepped up his attack the basket game, good size but no defense. If we were a contender, this is the type of player we should keep but I don't see his ceiling any higher than normal year to year improvement so I'd move him for a reasonable offer.

WORTH A ROSTER SPOT BUT NOT VALUABLE
RIchard Holmes -- best center on roster, not saying much, expiring next year
Marvin Bagley -- best statistical center on roster, expiring next year
Anthony Gill -- end of bench vet
Eugene Omaruyi -- end of bench hustle guy
Landry Shamet -- solid journeyman bench 2 without much upside

BACK IF NOTHING BETTER PRESENTS
Guys who haven't shown much
Johnny Davis -- former lottery pick, never shown NBA talent
Patrick Baldwin Jr -- former late 1st, extremely unimpressive so far

G LEAGUE TYPES
Justin Champagne
Jules Bernard

FREE AGENT
Tyus Jones -- a player I like as much as I dislike Jordan Poole, but also a solid vet without much ceiling he hasn't shown. The team had its best stretch with him injured so likely to just run it back without him and look elsewhere to spend that money

Spoiler:
mhd wrote:For the Wizards:

i). Deni
ii). Bilal Coulibaly
iii). Tristan Vukjevic
iv). Jordan Poole

Deni really grew this season and showed he can be part of any NBA contender. His contract extension is ridiculously cheap, so unless the Wizards get a godfather offer, they are keeping him. With this upcoming draft's dearth of star potential players, I wouldn't trade him for the #1 pick.

Bilal showed significant defensive potential right from the jump. His jumper wasn't too bad either for a raw athletic rookie. He needs to hit the weight room hard in the off-season. Had an unfortunate wrist injury that robbed him of valuable minutes towards the end of the year.

Vukjevic really showed some offensive ability in the limited time with the Wizards are he came over late in the season from the European club. He needs to get stronger obviously, but he's got some talent for sure.

Poole isn't tradeable with his contract. Looked much better when Jones got injured and he became the starting PG. Better to rehab his value. He, by all accounts, works hard and isn't a hothead team cancer type.

Kispert brings shooting and an underrated drive game. He'll never be a star or anything, but he's been a good pick where he was taken (mid first outside the lotto). I think the Wizards resign him to a cheap extension as he provides much needing spacing for Deni, Bilal, and whomever they draft this upcoming season. He's not worth much on the open market IMO, so better to keep him than let him go.

Tyus Jones (Jones played pretty well for the most part with the Wizards. Took care of the ball, has a wicked floater, and shot well. However, he's a complete sieve on defense and he cannot share the court with Poole (who is untraceable). Poole looked much better when he became the point guard. Since Poole isn't movable, the best option for the Wizards is to let Jones walk (including via a potential S&T for a trade exception). Jared Butler showed some talent as a potential backup PG who was resigned to a cheap 3 year deal at the end of the season anyways.

Johnny Davis (I'm the resident Davis hater in the Wizards forum. I hated the pick pretty much from day 1 and called him a bust after watching him in his Summer league debut. He looked horrendous in his debut pre-season as well. The new FO never drafted him and I can't fathom they pick up his 4th year option making him an expiring contract. If he's not traded as contract filler in a trade to take on other people's bad deals, then I can see him getting cut. Very limited athletically and does not have a jumper that threatens defenses limiting space for everyone else. Looks the part the defensively, and competes hard on that end. However, with his limited athleticism, elite wings will torch him (Ant crushed him at the end of the season).

Omuruyi, Jules Bernard, Justin Champagnie are just G-league talents that could easily be gone. They compete hard whenever they play.

Patrick Baldwin JR may make it back since he was received as a former first rounder in the Poole-CP3 trade. He had a bad back injury in college and it was night and day the difference from Summer league and the end of the season for his athleticism to come back. He has a nice stroke, and showed some flashes. I could see the Wiz picking up his option as a potential lotto ticket as a stretch big.

3. The 3 things my team must accomplish this off-season are... (Note: this could be cap wise, on the court needs wise, coaching change, free agency/draft needs/targets, etc.)

Keep interim coach Brian Keefe. He was light years better than Wes Unseld Jr as a coach despite the record. Unseld was a pure Nepo hire from the previous FO and our utter fool of an owner Ted Leonsis. The new FO has no ties with him. Keefe got the team to improve defensively despite the limited talent and compete hard.

Kuzma is the interesting case. He has a declining contract and is certain to be a rotation player for any playoff team. He seems like a positive guy who likes being in DC. If the Wiz get a couple of firsts, I can see them trading him. Otherwise, I can see them keeping him until the deadline. He won't be given away.

In terms of strategy, the Wizards do not control their first round pick as the Knicks own it (this year it will not convey). It is top 10 protected next year (no way the Wizards convey that) and top 8 protected the year after. If it is not conveyed, then it turns into two seconds. So, the Wizards will continue to tank to avoid giving that pick. That means no trades of consequence to try for the play-in.

The Wiz will continue to attempt to get picks from every trade (so far, the new FO has acquired at least one draft pick in every trade they have made so far in their limited time running the team). I'd expect them to use the expiring contracts of Holmes, Davis (with his option declined), and potentially Bagley (who looked good when he came over in the trade that netted them two 2nd rounders) to get some other team's unwanted contract in exchange for draft picks.

In terms of the draft, the Wiz will simply draft BPA IMO. WIth thus draft, I'd figure Topic & Sarr are the top targets. Otherwise, they'll just go with best talent. I trust the new FO since it looks like they hit a home run with the Vukcevic 2nd round pick. Drafting Bilal showed me they want potential all-star talent vs taking no risks like the previous FO did (taking Johnny Davis was an indefensible pick given his lack of potential).

Basically, the Wizards are a landing spot for any other team's trash as long as they get draft picks LOL.

What's your moderately optimistic/semi-realistic off-seeason for the Wizards?
NYG
RealGM

Post#38 » by NYG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:37 am

Spoiler:
Kiss of Death wrote:The Rockets are in a really good spot. They have the assets to make a big splash, but they don’t have to.
They get Sengun and Tari Eason back and add Steven Adams to a 40+ win team.

A lot will depend on the draft lottery in a few weeks. With some luck, they could have 2 top 10 picks. At worst, they’ll have 1 top 10 pick.

There is no 100% either way. They are likely to keep the Core 6, unless a crazy good deal comes along.
FVV will probably draw a lot of interest and could help a lot of teams, but I doubt they entertain any offers.
Dillon Brooks could be on the market due to
Amen and Eason being ready to take his starting spot and contenders needing his skill set.
Tate, Landale and Jeff Green will probably be shopped, along with the Nets picks.
Aaron Holiday and Reggie Bullock will probably search for bigger roles and paychecks elsewhere.
Boban might just retire and move to Hollywood.
That leaves 3 open roster spots likely.

They will be a better team next year without making any major moves. They have the assets to make a major move.

Spoiler:
K_chile22 wrote:100% staying for rockets: no one technically. Close enough to 100%? I'd say Amen, Sengun, Tari Bari and FVV are all >95% and Jalen a bit lower than that but still pretty high.

What's your moderately optimistic/semi-realistic off-seeason for the Rockets?
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,939

Post#39 » by K_chile22 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:10 am

NYG wrote:
Spoiler:
Kiss of Death wrote:The Rockets are in a really good spot. They have the assets to make a big splash, but they don’t have to.
They get Sengun and Tari Eason back and add Steven Adams to a 40+ win team.

A lot will depend on the draft lottery in a few weeks. With some luck, they could have 2 top 10 picks. At worst, they’ll have 1 top 10 pick.

There is no 100% either way. They are likely to keep the Core 6, unless a crazy good deal comes along.
FVV will probably draw a lot of interest and could help a lot of teams, but I doubt they entertain any offers.
Dillon Brooks could be on the market due to
Amen and Eason being ready to take his starting spot and contenders needing his skill set.
Tate, Landale and Jeff Green will probably be shopped, along with the Nets picks.
Aaron Holiday and Reggie Bullock will probably search for bigger roles and paychecks elsewhere.
Boban might just retire and move to Hollywood.
That leaves 3 open roster spots likely.

They will be a better team next year without making any major moves. They have the assets to make a major move.

Spoiler:

What's your moderately optimistic/semi-realistic off-seeason for the Rockets?

One of the Kentucky guards falls to them (preferably Sheppard but I'd be happy with Dillingham as well).

Sign Doug McDermott. Bring back non guaranteed guys, try to bring back Holiday but he may go to a desperate contender to hope for more time.

Fred/Kentucky guard
Jalen/Cam/Doug
Dillon/Amen/Tate
Jabari/Tari/Jeff
Sengun/Adams/Landale

Would be interested in Dillon+some of the draft capital for Mikal but seems like Brooklyn is unreasonable on him
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,898

Post#40 » by G R E Y » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 am

NYG wrote:
Spoiler:
G R E Y wrote:100% back:

Wemby

Vassell

Sochan

Tre Jones

Keldon

Sidy

Most likely also Blake Wesley, Branham, Dom Barlow

I'd like us to bring back Mamu and Cedi

100% off the team:

This is more of a hope - Julian Champagnie

Collins is a decent back up but at the upcoming cost may be trade fodder. Not sure how Bassey is progressing in rehab... It may affect Collins' future with us.

Perhaps Graham will be looking elsewhere/ we may send him elsewhere after he played fewest games in his career. Great locker room vet though, knows how to play.

Must accomplish: shooters. We made the most 3s in franchise history but that's because we moved up to 11th in attempts per game. Our efficiency is exactly the same as last season, placing us last. Shooters shooters shooters.

Draft well. We have a ton of picks, both our own and from trades so it's a priority to stock pile the team with good high end young talent. It's cheaper and they learn our system from the get go. Priority is BBOQ, two-way play, competitiveness.

Starting level SF. For the love of quality basketball and in the best interest of Spurs fans' nerves.

Even if we keep Tre at PG, fine, but the 3 is a big immediate hole to fill.

The whole go all in with assets to trade for a big star is not happening yet. There may well be some trades made, and it's good to have some vets on the team who are willing to teach younger players and accept a role, but we're not in the business of helping out teams who we've already traded with to get great assets. Let them figure out how to get themselves out of their own holes. In the meantime, we await where their picks land.

We draft 2024, 2025, and are ready to strike for a high end star then. That's not to say we would turn down a great opportunity, but we won't overpay. If after this year some stars are openly talking about what it would be like to play with Wemby, well then things will only get more attractive.

We can improve by drafting guys who push current crop for positions (at times it felt like a few were too comfortable with their jobs and played like they didn't have to be earning anything), and now with the first year of Wemby, we have a much better idea of how to best surround him with quality talent.

Separate wheat from chaff.

Draft well.

Get complementary pieces. 3&D BBIQ.

Strike when it's most opportune with trades.

What's your moderately optimistic/semi-realistic off-seeason for the Spurs?

I feel like Tre kept proving himself after he got reinserted as starter. While there are some sexy PG names bandied about, and most recently Windy didn't deny that Trae may be the one doing the asking out, and asking out to us, the counter has been that we're not that enamoured with pairing him with Wemby.

Translation: we won't be baited into overpaying. We have leverage if a player wants us and we haveany options at PG, even fine with the one we have.

That's not to say we won't/shouldn't upgrade, but it's now not *as* an immediate issue.

The more pressing one is starting level 3.

I heard this idea on a Twitter podcast or whatever these are called, and in it Evan Townsend suggested a trade with Washington centered around Avdia for Keldon. They both have reasonable, descending contracts, it fills a big SF need for us with a young talent but one with some NBA experience already, and Keldon goes the other way as a bigger scorer, potentially filling the starting 3 in Washington.

The catch was that this would be a bigger incentive for Wiz if we end up with a higher pick and work out a deal to swap for the player they may want more, with whatever filler to match salaries if need be.

They also talked about how Collins could be a desired get for contending teams as a quality backup big.

I like Zach, I hope he gets healthy and stays that way, and even if teams were not calling for him, I'd be looking to get a more above the rim/healthy, hard-nosed backup big, be it draft or trade or FA.

So let's say we pick swap with Washington, they get Sarr and Keldon + filler, we get Topic, Avdia + whatever.

We target a backup big to develop with any of our other picks in this upcoming draft while looking into someone of a Mo Wagner/Olynyk mold. Ironically Zach is that, a tough, defending, floor spreading type, and we will need to shore that up all the more if we part with Keldon who is an absolute bull. But health and contract vs. availability/production means we have to start looking around.

I'd like us to re-sign Mamu and make sure we keep Dom Barlow.

These are some starter ideas of initial changes.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to Trades and Transactions