Brandon Ingram for Dejounte Murray

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,614

Brandon Ingram for Dejounte Murray 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:00 pm

Hawks get:
Brandon Ingram
Larry Nance Jr.

Pelicans get:
Dejounte Murray
Clint Capela
AJ Griffin
10th Overall Draft Pick

Hawks get a legit co-star for Trae to help out offensively.
Pelicans rebalance their roster a bit around Zion and their young wings.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,661

Re: Brandon Ingram for Dejounte Murray 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:15 pm

I think the pick and add-ons are going the wrong way...I feel like Dejounte is a more valuable player than Ingram right now. He scores on Ingram's level, runs point, and plays hellacious defense.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,260

Post#3 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:23 pm

Skybox wrote:I think the pick and add-ons are going the wrong way...I feel like Dejounte is a more valuable player than Ingram right now. He scores on Ingram's level, runs point, and plays hellacious defense.

I can see someone thinking Ingram is better than Murray, but I don't think the difference is the 10th pick, Capela and AJ Griffin.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,614

Post#4 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:41 pm

Dan Z wrote:
Skybox wrote:I think the pick and add-ons are going the wrong way...I feel like Dejounte is a more valuable player than Ingram right now. He scores on Ingram's level, runs point, and plays hellacious defense.

I can see someone thinking Ingram is better than Murray, but I don't think the difference is the 10th pick, Capela and AJ Griffin.

Take out Griffin and 10?
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#5 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:43 pm

NYG wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Take out Griffin and 10?

Maybe...that depends on what the Pelicans think of Capela.

My guess is that neither team would be interested in this trade (but that's just a guess...I don't follow either team close enough).
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,545

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:44 pm

Dan Z wrote:

i could see something here if the Lakers lose in the play-in and convey the 14th pick to NOLA...

Ingram, Nance, 14 for Murray, Capela, Griffin, 10?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#7 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:50 pm

HornetJail wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

i could see something here if the Lakers lose in the play-in and convey the 14th pick to NOLA...

Ingram, Nance, 14 for Murray, Capela, Griffin, 10?

I think the Pelicans are better off moving the Lakers pick to 2025 (which they have the right to do), but they could still use it in this trade. If that happens then the question is: Are the Hawks willing to give up the 10th pick for the Lakers 2025 pick (unprotected)?
Plus the rest of the trade (of course).

My two cents is that I wouldn't go after Ingram, even though he's a good player.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#8 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:22 pm

NYG wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Take out Griffin and 10?

I like it for both...Capela isn't much above neutral value, but he's a good fit for NOLA along with DJM.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 152

Post#9 » by louc1970 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:49 pm

I like it also.
Hawks get Young, Johnson, Ingram as a good core. Time to see if Bufkin can play.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#10 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:22 pm

This is interesting, not sure if the 10 needs to be in there though.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#11 » by tester551 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:04 pm

Completely agree.

Pels should take this and run
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,515

Post#12 » by Wolveswin » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:56 am

This.

I think Murray > Ingram in trade value.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#13 » by Euphonetiks » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm

Does he still play hellacious defense? Every metric shows him as a below average defender this year and worse than Ingram. And despite running point, he only averages 0.2 more assists per 100 posessions than Ingram.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,360

Post#14 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:01 pm

Ingram's disappointed me this year tbh. Thought he was gonna take another step forward. Granted, some injuries, but still.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 152

Post#15 » by louc1970 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:56 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:Ingram's disappointed me this year tbh. Thought he was gonna take another step forward. Granted, some injuries, but still.

I think there is friction with media hype between he and Williamson. Egos can change the play.
wegotthabeet
Veteran
And1: 1,949

Post#16 » by wegotthabeet » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:23 pm

a straight up swap seems fair.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,622

Post#17 » by Threezus » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:30 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:

Does he still play hellacious defense? Every metric shows him as a below average defender this year and worse than Ingram. And despite running point, he only averages 0.2 more assists per 100 posessions than Ingram.

Here is the misconception on that yes he does play hellacious defense still but only at PG. When Trae is on the floor and Murray is forced to be a SG against much bigger guys at times he loses a bit of his advantage and has to cover for Traes mistakes a good bit.

When Trae was out with injuries this last month or so about 20+ games. Our defense as a whole went from like 30th on defense to top 5 to 10 for a good chunk of that run. Murray was a monster when he was back being a PG defending other PG's allowing JJ and Hunter to guard the other SG's.

So if you plan on running Murray at his natural position of PG then yes you will get the Spurs and Traeless Hawks murray defense. If you plan on running him at SG then you probably lose out on it a bit.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#18 » by eitanr » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:36 pm

These teams are good match trade wise. Pels looked better without Ingram and the Murray/Young tandem needs a split. Hawks also need to see what OO can finally do as a long term center.

Pels will have a cap crunch though, so it depends on when Capela's contract is up. Assuming is he on a short deal the Ingram for Murray/Cap concept has a ton of merit.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
Skybox
RealGM

Post#19 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:43 pm

Threezus wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:

Here is the misconception on that yes he does play hellacious defense still but only at PG. When Trae is on the floor and Murray is forced to be a SG against much bigger guys at times he loses a bit of his advantage and has to cover for Traes mistakes a good bit.

When Trae was out with injuries this last month or so about 20+ games. Our defense as a whole went from like 30th on defense to top 5 to 10 for a good chunk of that run. Murray was a monster when he was back being a PG defending other PG's allowing JJ and Hunter to guard the other SG's.

So if you plan on running Murray at his natural position of PG then yes you will get the Spurs and Traeless Hawks murray defense. If you plan on running him at SG then you probably lose out on it a bit.

Defensive effort is definitely contagious...put him next to Trae, then put him next to Suggs and see what happens. ORL's whole team vibe is defense and DJM is an emotional hard case...I have no doubt he'd buy in all the way.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,231

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:06 pm

The problem, as always, is CJ. The Pelicans aren't in a position to be paying their backcourt $60M when Murphy comes off his rookie deal. Now maybe they can get the Mavs to part with Lively for a few picks and lengthen that runway a bit, but that Lakers matchup is doing a pretty good job of demonstrating the defensive limitations of Zion, JV, and Nance.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions