Orlando Magic say “Let’s make a deal”.

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,475

Re: Orlando Magic say “Let’s make a deal”. 

Post#101 » by Chinook » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Chinook wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
If Cade is on the table, then the Spurs need to go all out and get him to pair with Wemby. Everything is on the table including all picks, Vassel, Sochan and naming rights to the Riverwalk.

Not all of that of course, but any combination of those things. Cade to Wemby for the rest of the decade and on would be a treat to the rest of the NBA.

Um... no? I don't get the desire folks have for a team's best players to all be the same age, but there's little benefit in trading a bunch of youth and assets for a young PG to pair with their young big. Spend assets on bring in actualized vets and draft a young PG to grow in that environment. I don't understand why the Spurs would be interested in any major acquisition that wasn't 28 or older.

Of all the young PGs too, Cade is so random. I can at least understand Young, even if I wouldn't entertain a trade if I were SA. Ja is the only "dream target" for me. The Spurs should go all-out for him if he were available (which is only conceivable because of his off-the-court issues). Otherwise, the Spurs should aim to be multigenerational to desync their contracts and have a steady mix of development and actualization.

Really? You don't see ANY point to having your 2 best players be within a similar age group? That's wild and different.....really different. I don't think I've even heard anyone post that thought on this forum. Like ever.

To each his own though. I personally would like my best players to grow together. At least my best 2 players lol.

Yeah, it's not normal for them to be the same age. It's normal for folks to fantasize about it, but there's zero reason to want an inexperienced guard to be the guy to supposed your inexperienced big. You'd want one to be a vet so they can help teach the other.

The push for the Spurs to try to get a young star is one of the least defensible positions in my mind. Folks only get away with it because they assume it's self-evident.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,221

Post#102 » by Slim Charless » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 pm

Chinook wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Chinook wrote:
Um... no? I don't get the desire folks have for a team's best players to all be the same age, but there's little benefit in trading a bunch of youth and assets for a young PG to pair with their young big. Spend assets on bring in actualized vets and draft a young PG to grow in that environment. I don't understand why the Spurs would be interested in any major acquisition that wasn't 28 or older.

Of all the young PGs too, Cade is so random. I can at least understand Young, even if I wouldn't entertain a trade if I were SA. Ja is the only "dream target" for me. The Spurs should go all-out for him if he were available (which is only conceivable because of his off-the-court issues). Otherwise, the Spurs should aim to be multigenerational to desync their contracts and have a steady mix of development and actualization.

Really? You don't see ANY point to having your 2 best players be within a similar age group? That's wild and different.....really different. I don't think I've even heard anyone post that thought on this forum. Like ever.

To each his own though. I personally would like my best players to grow together. At least my best 2 players lol.

Yeah, it's not normal for them to be the same age. It's normal for folks to fantasize about it, but there's zero reason to want an inexperienced guard to be the guy to supposed your inexperienced big. You'd want one to be a vet so they can help teach the other.

The push for the Spurs to try to get a young star is one of the least defensible positions in my mind. Folks only get away with it because they assume it's self-evident.

Again. You are the only one I've seen on this forum make that post and have that thought. Not only that, I've never heard any media or former coach/player make that point so you might be the 1st person to say that he doesn't want his best players being in the same age range.

I will not convince you that you're wrong and you certainly won't convince me this your plan is a good one to say the least lol. So I'll just say that your idea....is certainly an idea. To each his own.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,720

Post#103 » by Ell Curry » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:I could see Trae, Garland or the quieter option of trading up to get Dillingham. They’re a rare team that can probably accommodate a tiny PG well.

I don’t see Magic having assets for Trae or Garland. Just don’t.

Better said, they don’t have the right assets. Or an offer that beats other teams if either caliber of those PGs made available.

Magic need to shop in a different price point bin than Trae or Garland.

They could part with Black or Suggs for Garland, though at the moment the likeliest outcomes seems to be the Cavs moving Mitchell for a wing + picks, or a deep Cavs run and then maybe they don't want to move Garland for a wing.

Mitchell to Orlando probably likelier. Suggs, Cole Anthony and 2 firsts as an example off the top of my head, and maybe the 2 firsts go to another team with a solid wing coming back (let's say Kuzma just as an example) to Cleveland for a Garland-Suggs-Kuzma-Mobley-Allen lineup that looks pretty solid with tons of size as long as Garland can carry an offense. Anthony as 6th man. Orlando gets a Mitchell-Black-Franz-Banchero-WCJ starting 5, Isaac-Wagner-Goga is a good backup frontcourt, just need to sign or draft a 2 guard (Black slides over to backup 1) or have Jett Howard come good I guess.
Where's the D?
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#104 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:47 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:I could see Trae, Garland or the quieter option of trading up to get Dillingham. They’re a rare team that can probably accommodate a tiny PG well.

Better said, they don’t have the right assets. Or an offer that beats other teams if either caliber of those PGs made available.

They could part with Black or Suggs for Garland, though at the moment the likeliest outcomes seems to be the Cavs moving Mitchell for a wing + picks, or a deep Cavs run and then maybe they don't want to move Garland for a wing.

Mitchell to Orlando probably likelier. Suggs, Cole Anthony and 2 firsts as an example off the top of my head, and maybe the 2 firsts go to another team with a solid wing coming back (let's say Kuzma just as an example) to Cleveland for a Garland-Suggs-Kuzma-Mobley-Allen lineup that looks pretty solid with tons of size as long as Garland can carry an offense. Anthony as 6th man. Orlando gets a Mitchell-Black-Franz-Banchero-WCJ starting 5, Isaac-Wagner-Goga is a good backup frontcourt, just need to sign or draft a 2 guard (Black slides over to backup 1) or have Jett Howard come good I guess.

Suggs is off table for this thread. Even if on table, I doubt Magic risk Suggs for expiring Mitchell.

Cavs and Magic don’t match up well becuase Cavs don’t want youth/picks offer for Garland - more so until Mitchell situation solved.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,745

Post#105 » by DowJones » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:01 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

That just isn’t enough to get Mitchell. I have to imagine Brooklyn, LA, or even Miami would put together a better offer.

I also don’t think the Magic want to move Suggs. They are looking to package Black with first rounders and that just won’t get you a Garland or Mitchell.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,131

Post#106 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:11 pm

DowJones wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I don’t see Magic having assets for Trae or Garland. Just don’t.

That just isn’t enough to get Mitchell. I have to imagine Brooklyn, LA, or even Miami would put together a better offer.

I also don’t think the Magic want to move Suggs. They are looking to package Black with first rounders and that just won’t get you a Garland or Mitchell.

what do you envision any of those teams being able to offer for Mitchell?
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#107 » by Ell Curry » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:11 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Suggs is off table for this thread. Even if on table, I doubt Magic risk Suggs for expiring Mitchell.

Cavs and Magic don’t match up well becuase Cavs don’t want youth/picks offer for Garland - more so until Mitchell situation solved.

I could see the Magic doing it if Banchero can recruit Mitchell.

Not matching up well isn't insurmountable, you just need a 3rd team that wants picks/youth to send a player to the Cavs, like say Anthony Black and a couple of firsts to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges, or Black to Toronto with say RJ Barrett and #31 going to the Cavs as another example if Toronto is open to tanking, or a Kuzma deal if the Cavs want to stay big with him as a 3, or a smaller deal for a passable starting 3 like Cam Johnson, Finney-Smith or DeAndre Hunter.

TLDR: 3 way with Brooklyn makes a Garland to Magic deal plausible.
Where's the D?
DowJones
RealGM

Post#108 » by DowJones » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 pm

tiderulz wrote:
DowJones wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

what do you envision any of those teams being able to offer for Mitchell?

Brooklyn
-Cam Johnson
-Clowney
-2029/2031 PHX first rounders

Lakers
-Rui
-Reaves
-2029, 2031, and possibly 2027 unprotected first

Miami
-Jacquez
-Herro
-2029/2031 unprotected first rounders

Those are all reasonable offers I would strongly consider if Mitchell refuses to extend. Maybe a team like Houston jumps in and they have assets that would be attractive to Cleveland. San Antonio is another team.

I will also say that if we get to the point where Black and a couple of protected/low first rounders are the best deal we get for Donovan, we are better off holding on and seeing what shakes out during the season. Maybe we make a run that influences Donovan to stay. Maybe the Knicks make OG available.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#109 » by DowJones » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Suggs is off table for this thread. Even if on table, I doubt Magic risk Suggs for expiring Mitchell.

Not matching up well isn't insurmountable, you just need a 3rd team that wants picks/youth to send a player to the Cavs, like say Anthony Black and a couple of firsts to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges, or Black to Toronto with say RJ Barrett and #31 going to the Cavs as another example if Toronto is open to tanking, or a Kuzma deal if the Cavs want to stay big with him as a 3, or a smaller deal for a passable starting 3 like Cam Johnson, Finney-Smith or DeAndre Hunter.

The Cavs aren’t trading Garland for any deal that has Kuzma, Cam Johnson, or DeAndre Hunter as the centerpiece. If the Magic can get Bridges for the Black/draft pick package then that is a different story. I just don’t think Anthony Black and some low upside first rounders have that type of value.
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#110 » by Ell Curry » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:21 pm

DowJones wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

The Cavs aren’t trading Garland for any deal that has Kuzma, Cam Johnson, or DeAndre Hunter as the centerpiece. If the Magic can get Bridges for the Black/draft pick package then that is a different story. I just don’t think Anthony Black and some low upside first rounders have that type of value.

As I said, the likeliest outcome is Mitchell traded after Boston blows out the Cavs. But if he wants to stay, a couple of unprotected picks from Orlando and a starting wing for Garland isn't crazy. Turn those picks into a starting 2 guard and a Mitchell-SG-SF-Mobley-Allen lineup is probably the best Cleveland team since Lebron.
Where's the D?
DowJones
RealGM

Post#111 » by DowJones » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:36 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
DowJones wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

As I said, the likeliest outcome is Mitchell traded after Boston blows out the Cavs. But if he wants to stay, a couple of unprotected picks from Orlando and a starting wing for Garland isn't crazy. Turn those picks into a starting 2 guard and a Mitchell-SG-SF-Mobley-Allen lineup is probably the best Cleveland team since Lebron.

It all comes back to what this hypothetical 3rd team thinks about Anthony Black and a few first rounders. You mentioned Kuzma, Hunter, Johnson, and Bridges but only Bridges would get Cleveland’s attention. Even if you split the assets up to get Kuzma and Cam, the Cavs still say no.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,663

Post#112 » by orlando_joe » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:53 pm

DowJones wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:
DowJones wrote:

It all comes back to what this hypothetical 3rd team thinks about Anthony Black and a few first rounders. You mentioned Kuzma, Hunter, Johnson, and Bridges but only Bridges would get Cleveland’s attention. Even if you split the assets up to get Kuzma and Cam, the Cavs still say no.

if the option was there this magic fan would take bridges over garland

Return to Trades and Transactions