Portland - Orlando - Dallas

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,307

Portland - Orlando - Dallas 

Post#1 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:09 am

Portland trade: Brogdon, Thybulle
Portland receive: THJ, worse of ORL/DEN 2025 LP 1st, future dallas 2nd (s)

Dallas trade: THJ, TOR 2025 2nd, future 2nd(s)
Dallas receive: Thybulle

Orlando trade: worse of 2025 ORL/DEN LP 1st
Orlando receive: Brogdon, TOR 2025 2nd

Why for Orlando: trade back a few spots to add a placeholder veteran PG to mentor black
Why for Portland: get salary relief and a 1st + 2nd(s) for their expiring vets . Get a large 22M TPE
Why for Dallas: upgrade perimeter D and save some money. Opens up full MLE (or can try to dodge the tax i think..?)

I know Orlando fans want a bigger move than this but i think this is probably more realistic/whats likely to happen
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,199

Re: Portland - Orlando - Dallas 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:39 am

I don't think there's any chance the Magic give up a lightly protected 1st in next year's draft for Brogdon. Maybe a lottery protected 1st if plans A & B fall through, but there are only a couple cap space teams for whom Brogdon would be an improvement.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#3 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:40 am

jbk1234 wrote:I don't think there's any chance the Magic give up a lightly protected 1st in next year's draft for Brogdon. Maybe a lottery protected 1st if plans A & B fall through, but there are only a couple cap space teams for whom Brogdon would be an improvement.

Ya should probably make it lotto protected and worse of orl/den 1st (will edit op)
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#4 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:52 am

Orlando is paying nearly nothing for Brogdon here -- maybe 10 spots back in the draft? It may seem trivial or petty, but for Portland I'd hold out for all the draft capital, including that Toronto 2nd. I don't especially want to move Brogdon, but getting a first along with several seconds for Thybulle is a good deal.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:54 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Orlando is paying nearly nothing for Brogdon here -- maybe 10 spots back in the draft? It may seem trivial or petty, but for Portland I'd hold out for all the draft capital, including that Toronto 2nd. I don't especially want to move Brogdon, but getting a first along with several seconds for Thybulle is a good deal.

Orlando is absorbing Brogdon's contract/giving Portland salary relief. That's not nothing.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,427

Post#6 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:57 am

Yuck.

Pass for POR.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,199

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:02 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:Orlando is paying nearly nothing for Brogdon here -- maybe 10 spots back in the draft? It may seem trivial or petty, but for Portland I'd hold out for all the draft capital, including that Toronto 2nd. I don't especially want to move Brogdon, but getting a first along with several seconds for Thybulle is a good deal.

Orlando is absorbing Brogdon's contract/giving Portland salary relief. That's not nothing.

Yeah, it's basically only the Magic and Spurs who would be willing to take on Brogdon's salary without sendingany back. If either of them go in another direction, the Blazers could end up stuck.

Frankly, I'm not sure the Mavs need Thybulle and JJ. You can't play them together.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:03 am

Godaddycurse wrote:

Blazers probably have other ways to shed salary than donating Brogdon. I don't think this is far off, but I don't have Portland letting Orlando end up with any draft compensation here.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:04 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Yeah, it's basically only the Magic and Spurs who would be willing to take on Brogdon's salary without sendingany back. If either of them go in another direction, the Blazers could end up stuck.

Frankly, I'm not sure the Mavs need Thybulle and JJ. You can't play them together.

I don't pretend Brogdon has great value or a great number of suitors. It's just that Portland needs quality guards and it will take more than savings to pry him loose.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#10 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:15 am

I would do the Orlando part as that accomplishes the main goal here but like keeping Thybulle for a defensive identity next year.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,507

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:15 pm

I like the value in the OP and the direction.

I don’t think I agree with it, but I could see Portland cutting out Dallas, using their own 2nd to dump Brogdon and get the Denver first while trimming more money and keeping the player they value more (THJ vs Thybulle)
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,113

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:02 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Blazers probably have other ways to shed salary than donating Brogdon. I don't think this is far off, but I don't have Portland letting Orlando end up with any draft compensation here.

donating Brogdon? yet another season full of missed games. no reason to think he would be healthy for the Magic.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:03 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I like the value in the OP and the direction.

I don’t think I agree with it, but I could see Portland cutting out Dallas, using their own 2nd to dump Brogdon and get the Denver first while trimming more money and keeping the player they value more (THJ vs Thybulle)

You and DeBlazerRiddem do make a good point. If the Blazers are pulling a first for Brogdon, that's probably all they care about here. I don't think he's the priority guy to move, but if he ends up being the one to shake a first rounder out of a team, he could very well be the one to go.

I'd still rather try to package several other bench guys and maybe some seconds to steal a protected first and light salary savings (via taking on a bad contract or dead money or something), but that may be unrealistic.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#14 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:05 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

donating Brogdon? yet another season full of missed games. no reason to think he would be healthy for the Magic.

No one is calling him an iron man but elbow tendonitis is not typically a season ending injury, at least for teams with playoff aspirations. Just saying, there might be another reason for why he was shut down in feb.

(I would even bet that many players have some minor form of it toward the end of the season if you really looked hard, they pick up all sorts of minor dings and ailments over the season that they mostly play through, and it's just so common in athletes that use their arms a lot.)
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,045

Post#15 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:07 pm

No thanks for Dallas. That swap isnt worth giving up the few 2nds (or any pick for that matter) Dallas still has. Mavs only save money next year, so not some huge money saver. Thybulle still cant shoot worth a lick

If there was a straight swap of Green for Thybulle, sure.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,886

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:15 pm

I like every single bit of this for every team. Orlando would be the one question mark I might have.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

I would much rather move Simons and Grant while keeping Brogdan as the swing backup G and Thybulle as a bit F. They are cheaper than the former and good locker room guys (And expire sooner). Also think Simons and Grant especially will have higher value than this board assumes (Think a desperate team will swing and miss on big fish and look at Jerami as a fallback who can masquerade as that '3rd star' - looking at PHI, SAC and even DAL here).
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#18 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:42 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I would much rather move Simons and Grant while keeping Brogdan as the swing backup G and Thybulle as a bit F. They are cheaper than the former and good locker room guys (And expire sooner). Also think Simons and Grant especially will have higher value than this board assumes (Think a desperate team will swing and miss on big fish and look at Jerami as a fallback who can masquerade as that '3rd star' - looking at PHI, SAC and even DAL here).

i doubt the FO see Brogdon and Thybulle in the teams' future plans so it makes it more likely for them to be moved imo
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#19 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:47 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I would much rather move Simons and Grant while keeping Brogdan as the swing backup G and Thybulle as a bit F. They are cheaper than the former and good locker room guys (And expire sooner). Also think Simons and Grant especially will have higher value than this board assumes (Think a desperate team will swing and miss on big fish and look at Jerami as a fallback who can masquerade as that '3rd star' - looking at PHI, SAC and even DAL here).

i doubt the FO see Brogdon and Thybulle in the teams' future plans so it makes it more likely for them to be moved imo

The FO wants to have a mix of vets and youth. I simply like the fit of BB and Thybulle as 'bridge' players moreso than Grant and Simons (Who I know is still young but just doesnt appear to be a fit longterm with the youngsters we have recently used high picks on).

I also see Simons and Grant as 15+ shot per game guys who take development shots from the kids - BB and Thybulle are very prudent shooters who are willing to defer more often.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,886

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:38 pm

Dallas is probably not a candidate considering how well the team has played with PJ who costs a fraction of the money and whom they already invested assets into. Asking Dallas to be top bidder for more offense seems unlikely to me. Prior to the tradeline additions Dallas might well have been a good candidate. But seems unlikely now.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions