WOJ: Allen extends with Suns 70/4

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,307

Re: WOJ: Allen extends with Suns 70/4 

Post#21 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:09 pm

esvl wrote:As a Griz fan, I am curios in what area he managed to develop his skills to justify this kind of contract. He was a defensive liability at his time at Memphis.

elite 3 pt shooting
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#22 » by Crives » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:12 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
It is now impossible for the Suns to sign any players above the league minimum and the only players they can trade with positive value are Booker and Durant.

Do they need more than vet man players? Fill the rosters with ring chasers.

No player would ever ring chase with the Suns instead of the Celtics or Thunder or Nuggets.

lol.. no one decided to ring chase with nuggets last year coming off their chip
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#23 » by The-Power » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:26 pm

Colbinii wrote:
The-Power wrote:
Crives wrote:I think he really liked his role in phx, lots of quotes with small jabs at how Milwaukee only let him catch and shoot

That's odd considering that it's demonstrably false but Allen and PHX is a good fit nevertheless and it's a solid deal for both (keep in mind Allen's relatively low career-earnings), so that's great.

I was expecting some massive difference after reading Crives post.

AST%: 10.9 > 12.1
TOV%: 10.3 > 11.3
2P Assisted%: 60.6 > 57.0
3P Assisted%: 88.4 > 91.2
FTR: 22.6 > 21.6

Drives per game: 5.5 > 5.7
Front Ct Touches: 23.2 > 23.2
Dribbles per Touch: 1.43 > 1.81
Seconds per Touch: 2.37 > 2.57

The only noticeable difference is dribbling the ball one more dribble every 3 touches.

To add to this:

Shooting frequencies (MIL (2022/23) compared to PHX):

Catch and Shoot: 47.4% (3.4 FGA) -> 55.9% (5.0 FGA)
Pull Ups: 21.7% (1.7 FGA) –> 12.8% (1.1 FGA)
Less than 10ft: 29.1% (2.3 FGA) -> 31.0% (2.8 FGA)

So he quite literally has more ‘catch and shoot’ FGA than ‘pull up’ FGA, and the increase in shots closer to the rim isn't all that noteworthy either (Source: stats.nba.com, Player Tracking). 3PAr stayed practically the same as well (.657 to .652). But if Allen has the perception of being more ‘free’ in his game and that has helped him with his confidence, joy and/or efficiency as a result then that's great for him and Phoenix.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,919

Post#24 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:31 pm

The-Power wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
The-Power wrote:That's odd considering that it's demonstrably false but Allen and PHX is a good fit nevertheless and it's a solid deal for both (keep in mind Allen's relatively low career-earnings), so that's great.

The only noticeable difference is dribbling the ball one more dribble every 3 touches.

To add to this:

So he quite literally has more ‘catch and shoot’ FGA than ‘pull up’ FGA, and the increase in shots closer to the rim isn't all that noteworthy either (Source: stats.nba.com, Player Tracking). 3PAr stayed practically the same as well (.657 to .652). But if Allen has the perception of being more ‘free’ in his game and that has helped him with his confidence, joy and/or efficiency as a result then that's great for him and Phoenix.

Allen has better space to attack since he isn't attack off of Giannis' drives and is instead attacking with 4 other shooters.

This part makes sense, which in theory makes his game more efficient.

Honestly I see no difference other than he was hot from 3 this year due to variance. When he settles back to 40-42% he will be a carbon copy.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#25 » by Billl » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:54 pm

This seems like a deal that is fine for next year, but probably won't age well. Phoenix has painted themselves into a corner in terms of salary cap. They really can't afford to a let a rotation guy go in the open market, so extending him makes sense in that regard. Signing roll players to 4 year extensions when your superstar is already 35 kinda hurts though. Not much you can do with that beal contract right now, but when it comes off the books, you really want the rest of the cap pretty clean to do 1 final build around a prime booker.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#26 » by Crives » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:19 pm

Colbinii wrote:
The-Power wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

To add to this:

Allen has better space to attack since he isn't attack off of Giannis' drives and is instead attacking with 4 other shooters.

This part makes sense, which in theory makes his game more efficient.

Honestly I see no difference other than he was hot from 3 this year due to variance. When he settles back to 40-42% he will be a carbon copy.

Guys I’m just reiterating what Allen has stated multiple times. Please don’t shoot the messenger. He said he felt he was empowered to be a decision maker, and encouraged to drive the ball and not just be a catch and shoot player
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#27 » by The-Power » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:30 pm

Crives wrote:Guys I’m just reiterating what Allen has stated multiple times. Please don’t shoot the messenger. He said he felt he was empowered to be a decision maker, and encouraged to drive the ball and not just be a catch and shoot player

Apologies if that came across as shooting the messenger – that certainly was not my intention. It's why I highlighted specifically that it's good on Allen if he feels a stark difference even if it is not found in the numbers. I never wrote that you were wrong in your reporting or that you were the one who came up with the claim. :)
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,560

Post#28 » by JimmyPlopper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:24 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting he signed that now, MLE is 60/4, that's his floor, he could've tested what ORL was willing to pay.

While true, imagine he gets injured between now and then - in a serious way - and he loses the chance to ever get that big contract. No one wants to be the Nerlens Noel either
you can't kill me - i was born dead
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#29 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:27 pm

JimmyPlopper wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting he signed that now, MLE is 60/4, that's his floor, he could've tested what ORL was willing to pay.

While true, imagine he gets injured between now and then - in a serious way - and he loses the chance to ever get that big contract. No one wants to be the Nerlens Noel either

Yup.

Allen has not made Generation Wealth yet in his NBA Career. 70 Million added onto his career earnings puts him close to 100 Million which is in the ball park of generational wealth.

It's just extremely difficult for a person--a human being--to turning down 70 Million when he could get 80 Million. That's a gambler's move, and most players are smarter than gamblers.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,199

Post#30 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:43 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
No player would ever ring chase with the Suns instead of the Celtics or Thunder or Nuggets.

That isn't true. There are players who have connections with KD/Booker who may prefer to sign with them. Players could also get more of a shot at breaking the actual playoff rotation with Phoenix compared to the 3 teams you mentioned.

Not to mention the weather and location factor.

Nuggets won a title and we didn’t see ring chases run to them.

Phoenix in the summer is borderline unbearable. Luckily, with that type of money, Allen can afford a very nice summer house somewhere else.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#31 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:46 pm

Phoenix is an awful city, what, lol.

Denver is way nicer.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#32 » by esvl » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:51 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
esvl wrote:As a Griz fan, I am curios in what area he managed to develop his skills to justify this kind of contract. He was a defensive liability at his time at Memphis.

elite 3 pt shooting

It was the case in Memphis too, but we traded him for 2 2nds because he is useless in PO battles. 18m for catch and shoot + a bit of cutting - defence - any form of creation? Thank you very much.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 817

Post#33 » by tester551 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
That isn't true. There are players who have connections with KD/Booker who may prefer to sign with them. Players could also get more of a shot at breaking the actual playoff rotation with Phoenix compared to the 3 teams you mentioned.

Phoenix in the summer is borderline unbearable. Luckily, with that type of money, Allen can afford a very nice summer house somewhere else.

Luckily for NBA players - the season runs when Phoenix is absolutely gorgeous. October through May is almost perfect.

June through September sucks...
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#34 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 pm

esvl wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

elite 3 pt shooting

It was the case in Memphis too, but we traded him for 2 2nds because he is useless in PO battles. 18m for catch and shoot + a bit of cutting - defence - any form of creation? Thank you very much.

That's literally the price for these tier of players.

Allen is a 5th-starter level player, which makes him more valuable than the MLE.

Max Struss, Tim Hardaway Jr, Luguentz Dort, Kevin Huerter, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Duncan Robinson, Norman Powell

All these guys are in a similar mold/tier of player and make around what Allen just signed for. They all primarily work off-ball on offense, low-usage and have varying degrees of "Can make a play after being ran off the 3P line".

The thing with Memphis is Ja is a horrible defensive player, Memphis wanted the size of Brooks/Bane at the 2/3 next to Ja and opted for those players next to Ja rather than Allen.

Allen was actually useful for Milwaukee last year, and as he has refined his game, appears to have become a useful piece in the post-season.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Post#35 » by jredsaz » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Think contract fine. Sun need his shooting. Suns committed to paying tax. Just comes down to how much new ownership can actually afford.

It is now impossible for the Suns to sign any players above the league minimum and the only players they can trade with positive value are Booker and Durant.

They have Royce’s bird rights too and according to Gambo want to retain him even if it takes their luxury tax bill over $200M (absolutely nuts).
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#36 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Definitely agree with the summers. For me , I’ll have two houses before I deal with Denver winters lol
collidingNeurons
Starter
And1: 1,157

Post#37 » by collidingNeurons » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:48 pm

having lived in both cities, Denver has nicer weather for longer, Summer doesn't last from June through August in phoenix but May through early/mid October, Denver's winter isn't 6 months long
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,328

Post#38 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:36 pm

Seems like a pretty fair deal. Coming off of career year year good to cash in. Maybe he could have gotten more by waiting for UFA but the reality is he is a good role player…not a star.
Sign here
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,956

Post#39 » by meekrab » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:04 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

DeAndre Jordan and Justin Holiday don't count as ring chasers?

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Not to mention the weather and location factor.

Definitely agree with the summers. For me , I’ll have two houses before I deal with Denver winters lol

Have you been to Denver in the winter? It's not like Minnesota...
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,030

Post#40 » by zimpy27 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 am

Good to lock the money in before the playoffs where he could bomb and undo his good work
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Trades and Transactions