Challenge: Get The Blazers Below The Tax / Consolidate Roster Spots

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,921

Re: Challenge: Get The Blazers Below The Tax / Consolidate Roster Spots 

Post#101 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:I'd be more than happy to find a way for the Bulls to end up with Ayton but can't see it

Do we think Portland says no to Vuc, Carter, Portland first, and a couple 2nds for Ayton?

If they do say no and Chicago is willing to add (they shouldn’t)…

Does Chicago trade back from 11 to get a real future first for Portland? Somewhere between..

16 and the 2025 Denver first
21 and NOP’s 2025 first

Maybe Philly with one of their other team future picks, though that’s probably not the direction they go this offseason. Moving up to 11 vs 20 would help with matching contract if they decided to go for Reed+?? and maintain their free agent cap holds..

Chicago keeps 21st and gives Portland their first and the NOP first.. Portland tries to find an expiring for Vuc.

For better or worse I strongly believe that PDX FO sees Ayton as part of the 'young core' despite being overpaid, not that good and not that young.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,522

Post#102 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
For better or worse I strongly believe that PDX FO sees Ayton as part of the 'young core' despite being overpaid, not that good and not that young.

Yeah, I know how I feel about Ayton and spew it out a lot last year in the 10 for Ayton threads (lots of them).. But some people still believe in him and I would guess Portland is hoping to get back to winning 2025-2026 season.. His contract isn’t really a big issue once they trade 1-3 of the other vets..
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,854

Post#103 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 pm

Again ,moving Ayton only works if Portland goes big with their top pick for lets say they end up with
Sarr with their top pick.

Moving Ayton makes perfect sense then for he'll be due to a contract extension that will make him even
more overpaid than he is now.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,326

Post#104 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 pm

If I were them, I wouldn't prioritize cost savings in a trade where they're sending someone out for value. Like if they trade Brogdon, I wouldn't sacrifice anything on the return because they only want to take back $18M in the deal instead of $24M to stay under the tax. In an ideal world they can get good returns and save money for guys like Grant/Brogdon/Simons/Ayton if they do move them, but I'd prioritize the return over any savings.

I know Thybulle is popular with their fans, and if they can save money another way then by all means keep him, but if I couldn't get great return(s) for my vets that also saved money, then just bite the bullet and dump Thybulle somewhere.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,326

Post#105 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Again ,moving Ayton only works if Portland goes big with their top pick for lets say they end up with
Sarr with their top pick.

Moving Ayton makes perfect sense then for he'll be due to a contract extension that will make him even

There are other ways of replacing Ayton's position on the depth chart. They can sign or trade for someone.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,025

Post#106 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 pm

Norm2953 wrote:

I'm confused here. Are you saying you are afraid the Blazers will give him a raise off his current deal? And why would they even consider this? I mean if the market dictates he is due a bigger max deal then Portland surely just wishes him well in his new locale right? But it sure seems based on his current trajectory he's looking at a significantly smaller contract in a higher cap environment.

*This of course is just like my opinion, man for those who need that explicitly laid out when it comes to Portland commentary. Ayton certainly might get a much bigger contract than I personally think.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,939

Post#107 » by K_chile22 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm

Yeah I would not be concerned about Ayton getting a raise
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,614

Post#108 » by NYG » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 pm

Grant to the Warriors
Kuzma to the Blazers
Wiggins and conditional Warriors 1st to Wizards
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,614

Post#109 » by NYG » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 pm

There's also the roster spot issue of 16 players for 15 spots...

Which of the following is likely to be cut?

Jabari Walker
Toumani Camara
Duop Reath
Rayan Rupert
Delano Banton
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,508

Post#110 » by Myth » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:45 pm

NYG wrote:Grant to the Warriors
Kuzma to the Blazers
Wiggins and conditional Warriors 1st to Wizards

Just cut Wizards out. Give Wiggins and the 1st to Portland.
Myth
General Manager

Post#111 » by Myth » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 pm

NYG wrote:There's also the roster spot issue of 16 players for 15 spots...

Jabari Walker
Toumani Camara
Duop Reath
Rayan Rupert
Delano Banton

Definitely Reath or Rupert if other moves aren’t made that allow space for all.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#112 » by tester551 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 am

Myth wrote:

Jabari Walker
Toumani Camara
Duop Reath
Rayan Rupert
Delano Banton

I highly doubt Rupert would be on the chopping block.
The front office seem REALLY high on his potential.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,854

Post#113 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:20 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:

I'm confused here. Are you saying you are afraid the Blazers will give him a raise off his current deal? And why would they even consider this? I mean if the market dictates he is due a bigger max deal then Portland surely just wishes him well in his new locale right? But it sure seems based on his current trajectory he's looking at a significantly smaller contract in a higher cap environment.

*This of course is just like my opinion, man for those who need that explicitly laid out when it comes to Portland commentary. Ayton certainly might get a much bigger contract than I personally think.

Ayton is extension eligible this summer and coming off a productive last 30 games of the season. Somebody will pay him
for he's 26 years old, 7-0 250lbs. I just don't want that team to be Portland who has a top 3 pick and in position to draft
Alexandre Sarr or perhaps Clingan in the 2024 draft.
Myth
General Manager

Post#114 » by Myth » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:09 am

tester551 wrote:
Myth wrote:

Jabari Walker
Toumani Camara
Duop Reath
Rayan Rupert
Delano Banton

I highly doubt Rupert would be on the chopping block.
The front office seem REALLY high on his potential.

I assume they would make moves to keep much of the young guys, but assuming they don’t, who do you think they would get rid of just among these 5?
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,025

Post#115 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:55 am

Norm2953 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:

Ayton is extension eligible this summer and coming off a productive last 30 games of the season. Somebody will pay him
for he's 26 years old, 7-0 250lbs. I just don't want that team to be Portland who has a top 3 pick and in position to draft

Yeah I don't think his last 30 games was anything close to max worthy. It was just better than his dreadful start. But do you really think the Blazers would offer him a max extension this summer? Because for his next contract to be worse than this one they literally have to do that.

They aren't. And I'd think he'd have to have an unexpectedly heroic year next year for any team to be looking to give him a max contract when this contract expires. Nothing in his career justifies that. I get that some get attached to first overall pick but that no longer matters at all. Just his level of play.

Again, just my opinion. He may well get a max extension from Portland this summer. Seems highly unlikely to this observer though.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Myth
General Manager

Post#116 » by Myth » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Yeah I don't think his last 30 games was anything close to max worthy. It was just better than his dreadful start. But do you really think the Blazers would offer him a max extension this summer? Because for his next contract to be worse than this one they literally have to do that.

They aren't. And I'd think he'd have to have an unexpectedly heroic year next year for any team to be looking to give him a max contract when this contract expires. Nothing in his career justifies that. I get that some get attached to first overall pick but that no longer matters at all. Just his level of play.

Again, just my opinion. He may well get a max extension from Portland this summer. Seems highly unlikely to this observer though.

I hope they don’t offer him a max. I like him well enough to keep him around, but his next contract should be smaller.

Return to Trades and Transactions