Challenge: Get The Blazers Below The Tax / Consolidate Roster Spots

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,605

Challenge: Get The Blazers Below The Tax / Consolidate Roster Spots 

Post#1 » by NYG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 am

Deandre Ayton $34,005,126
Jerami Grant $29,793,104
Anfernee Simons $25,892,857
Malcolm Brogdon $22,500,000
Robert Williams III $12,428,571
Matisse Thybulle $11,025,000
Scoot Henderson $10,259,160
Shaedon Sharpe $6,614,160
Kris Murray $2,990,040
Jabari Walker $2,019,699
Toumani Camara $1,891,857
Duop Reath $2,048,780
Rayan Rupert $1,891,857
3rd Overall Pick $10,200,360
14th Overall Pick $4,499,640
Delano Banton $2,196,970

Eric Bledsoe Dead Cap $1,300,000
Didi Louzada Dead Cap $268,032

Total Salary $181,825,213
Cap Space -$39,825,213
Tax Space -$9,225,213
1st Apron Space -$2,225,213
2nd Apron Space $8,274,787

======

That's 16 roster spots filled so you need to consolidate down to 15 while also getting below the tax aka cut $9.3 Million...
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,509

Re: Challenge: Get The Blazers Below The Tax / Consolidate Roster Spots 

Post#2 » by Wolveswin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 am

Simple…

Ayton + Simons

FOR

WCJ + 25 Nugs 1st + 25 Magic 1st
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,753

Post#3 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:56 am

The simplest way to me seems like it's waiting until the FA dust settles and then sending Brogdon's expiring contract to a cap space team for/with some minor incentive. Sixers, Spurs, Orlando, maybe Detroit all seem like they could use a veteran PG stopgap for a year if they strike out on bigger plans in free agency.

If you want to think bigger, Grant to Philly for cap space + incentives or Simons to Orlando for cap space + incentives both seem plausible.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,854

Post#4 » by giberish » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:41 am

I feel that they just need one team to like/overvalue any of Thybulle/RWIII/Brogdon/Simons/Grant/Ayton. IMO all of those guys are expendable for Portland's long-term rebuild. Get a good value for any of them and spin something off for salary savings.

Obviously they don't need to move all of them. They don't need a fire sale. They just need one other team to want/overvalue one of them.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#5 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2371883

Thybulle, Murray, Walker out. Pick returned from Chicago. $16,034,739 saved.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#6 » by Norm2953 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 am

I think the trade will be Jerami Grant to Sacramento, especially if they fail in the playoffs.

One can see Portland moving both Simons and Grant and keeping Brogdon to continue to mentor
Scoot/Sharpe as an expiring contract. Team is close enough to the tax line to move just one of
Grant/Simons
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#7 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 am

Norm2953 wrote:I think the trade will be Jerami Grant to Sacramento, especially if they fail in the playoffs.

One can see Portland moving both Simons and Grant and keeping Brogdon to continue to mentor
Scoot/Sharpe as an expiring contract. Team is close enough to the tax line to move just one of
Grant/Simons

RealGM Blazers fans seem to be coming around to near-consensus in favor of this path. I am not a complete tear-down advocate, usually, but these guys aren't producing wins or contributing to any sort of team identity. Management's hand is forced and the deep rebuild is on.

At this board, we've often focused on the isolated "trade value" of Grant and Simons, individually, but I also wonder if there's a deal out there to return an unwanted contract to the Blazers for one or both. Is there a team for which either guy would be a major upgrade, and which also needs to shed some dead weight? It's worth it to the Blazers if it ups the price tag on Grant/Simons. The Blazers have to pay somebody the next two years, anyway, so an awful contract doesn't hurt much.
Clipsz 4 Life

January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006

Saxon

February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,509

Post#8 » by Wolveswin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:54 am

Simons + #14

FOR

Simons and Ball would work well together. If Hornets need a little more, Murray is on the table. As is #33.

Blazers get two bites at the top 5 draft pick apple. Even in this draft, increases odds of at least one being a star.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,643

Post#9 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:01 am

Wolveswin wrote:Simple…

Ayton + Simons

FOR

WCJ + 25 Nugs 1st + 25 Magic 1st

ORL can’t take on Ayton’s deal with Suggs & Franz extensions coming with Isaac’s new deal in a year, followed by Paolo’s max the year after. Stingy small- market orgs just won’t spend like Ballmer. On-court, I love it…but can’t do it.

Would consider taking Simons and TimeLord for WCJ and a pick.
NYG
RealGM

Post#10 » by NYG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:24 am

gswhoops wrote:The simplest way to me seems like it's waiting until the FA dust settles and then sending Brogdon's expiring contract to a cap space team for/with some minor incentive. Sixers, Spurs, Orlando, maybe Detroit all seem like they could use a veteran PG stopgap for a year if they strike out on bigger plans in free agency.

If you want to think bigger, Grant to Philly for cap space + incentives or Simons to Orlando for cap space + incentives both seem plausible.

Portland would want a 1st for Brogdan or a good 1st for Grant or Simons. I'm not sure any team offers them both cap relief and that value.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 pm

NYG wrote:
gswhoops wrote:The simplest way to me seems like it's waiting until the FA dust settles and then sending Brogdon's expiring contract to a cap space team for/with some minor incentive. Sixers, Spurs, Orlando, maybe Detroit all seem like they could use a veteran PG stopgap for a year if they strike out on bigger plans in free agency.

Portland would want a 1st for Brogdan or a good 1st for Grant or Simons. I'm not sure any team offers them both cap relief and that value.

I want a date with Sydney Sweeney, that doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#12 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 pm

These are the 2 moves I am hoping for -

TRADE 1 (Davion can be replaced w/ other filler)

Jerami Grant + Kris Murray for Harrison Barnes + Davion Mitchell + #13 + 2025 PDX SRP

TRADE 2

PDX OUT - Anfernee Simons, Duop Reath, #40
PDX IN - Osumane Dieng, 2025 DEN FRP (Top-5 / Top-5 / Top-5) , 2024 UTA FRP (Top-10 / Top-10 / Top-8)

ORL OUT - Wendell Carter JR, 2025 DEN FRP (Top-5 / Top-5 / Top-5)
ORL IN - Anfernee Simons, Duop Reath

OKC OUT - Osumane Dieng, 2024 UTA FRP (Top-10 / Top-10 / Top-8)
OKC IN - Wendell Carter JR, #40

Trade #13 + #15 for move up and snag Kyshawn George.

2024/25 Roster
G - Scoot Henderson / Malcolm Brogdan / Davion Mitchell / Tyler Kolek (#33)
G - Shadeon Sharpe / Danalo Banton / Kyshawn George (~#8)
F - Harrison Barnes / Osumane Dieng / Matisse Thybulle
F - Toumari Camara / Matas Buzelis (#5) / Rayan Rupert
C - DeAndre Ayton / Robert Williams III / Jabari Walker JR
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,924

Post#13 » by ChettheJet » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:52 pm

If it's cost savings and moving Ayton the Bulls could make the numbers work or at least get close.

Ayton to CHI
for
Vucevic for $20M same years as Ayton, an expiring Caruso and the return of the mythical PORT pick

Simpler would help the Bulls too

Caruso for Robert Williams III
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,447

Post#14 » by oldncreaky » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:07 pm

gswhoops wrote:
NYG wrote:

Agree. If the Blazers want significant cost savings, they can't expect to get a nice asset for it as well.

Brogdan is still good when healthy so he won't be expensive to dump. The Blazers can either choose to get an asset for him, or save money, not both
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,428

Post#15 » by JRoy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:34 pm

ChettheJet wrote:If it's cost savings and moving Ayton the Bulls could make the numbers work or at least get close.

Ayton to CHI
for
Vucevic for $20M same years as Ayton, an expiring Caruso and the return of the mythical PORT pick

Simpler would help the Bulls too

Caruso for Robert Williams III

I’d do either for POR.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,507

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

Consolidating won’t be popular because fans probably like the real cheap guys and they aren’t worth a lot and it doesn’t make much sense to give up on Timelord.. But that’s what makes the most sense.. just throwing a Banton/Reath in with Grant or Simons and taking back 8-10 million less.. Raise the total value returned by a little..
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 pm

oldncreaky wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
NYG wrote:

Agree. If the Blazers want significant cost savings, they can't expect to get a nice asset for it as well.

Brogdan is still good when healthy so he won't be expensive to dump. The Blazers can either choose to get an asset for him, or save money, not both

My rough off the cuff assessment is:

Could return cap space plus asset(s): Grant, Simons
Could return cap space: Brogdon, Thybulle
Could return cap space if paired with assets: Ayton
Wildcard: Timelord
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,447

Post#18 » by oldncreaky » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 pm

gswhoops wrote:
oldncreaky wrote:
gswhoops wrote:I want a date with Sydney Sweeney, that doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen.

Agree, but I think Jerami Grant is a little context dependent.

Including his 2027-28 PO, Grant is owed another $132M for 4 years. I could see a team with a shortish contending window (like Philly) willing to take that on, but a team like DET or TOR might hesitate to commit that much money.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#19 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:28 pm

oldncreaky wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
oldncreaky wrote:

Including his 2027-28 PO, Grant is owed another $132M for 4 years. I could see a team with a shortish contending window (like Philly) willing to take that on, but a team like DET or TOR might hesitate to commit that much money.

I strongly think Grant will be targeted as a consolation prize for teams that strike out on a bigger fish this summer. Alot of teams are looking for a '3rd star' (PHI, SAC, LAL, MIA, etc) and once PG13, DDR, etc are off the market I think a win-now not fiscally conservative team will pony up a bundle that will surprise some.

Then again I am wrong all the time.
NYG
RealGM

Post#20 » by NYG » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:36 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
oldncreaky wrote:
gswhoops wrote:My rough off the cuff assessment is:

I strongly think Grant will be targeted as a consolation prize for teams that strike out on a bigger fish this summer. Alot of teams are looking for a '3rd star' (PHI, SAC, LAL, MIA, etc) and once PG13, DDR, etc are off the market I think a win-now not fiscally conservative team will pony up a bundle that will surprise some.

Then again I am wrong all the time.

I personally like Simons for Lower of '25 Nuggets/Magic 1st. I know Blazers fans don't like it, but it gets them below the tax and gets them a second 1st in 2 straight drafts between 2024 and 2025 which is a solid jumpstart to see through this rebuild.

Return to Trades and Transactions