Chicago, Portland, San Antonio

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,959

Chicago, Portland, San Antonio 

Post#1 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 am

Defensive pieces shuffled, payrolls reduced, picks returned...

Chicago trades
Alex Caruso ($9,890,000)
Future first round draft pick (Portland, protected)

Chicago receives
Kris Murray ($2,990,040)
Jabari Walker ($2,019,699)
Future first round draft pick (Chicago, protected)
Future second round draft pick (Chicago)

Bulls perspective
Release the hold on Portland's pick, get their own picks back. Swap Caruso for younger, bigger players with defensive and rebounding upside. Save money for re-signing own free agents or using the full MLE.

Portland trades
Matisse Thybulle ($11,025,000)
Kris Murray ($2,990,040)
Jabari Walker ($2,019,699)

Portland receives
Future first round draft pick (Portland, protected)

Blazers perspective
The Blazers shed payroll and regain control of the pick they owe Chicago.

San Antonio trades
Future first round draft pick (Chicago, protected)
Future second round draft pick (Chicago)

San Antonio receives
Matisse Thybulle ($11,025,000)
Alex Caruso ($9,890,000)

Spurs perspective
The Spurs supercharge their defense with Caruso and Thybulle, two of the very finest at their positions. What was Wemby and a cast of questionable defenders starts to look like a fearsome unit and a team identity.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,315

Re: Chicago, Portland, San Antonio 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 am

I feel like this is a lot for Portland to give. I like it for Chicago and really dislike San Antonio giving up that Chicago first.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
wemby
Senior
And1: 315

Post#3 » by wemby » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 am

Alex Caruso will be (next season) on an expiring contract whose low value makes it impossible to extend, so essentially the Spurs would be giving up a projected lottery pick in a loaded draft for a 1 year rental, since they could pursue Caruso anyway in 2025 free agency if they wanted. The Spurs aren't contenders, these aren't moves they should be spending their draft capital on.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:45 am

babyjax13 wrote:I feel like this is a lot for Portland to give.

It's my first attempt at the idea that nobody on Portland's bench is worth a first, but maybe aggregating some guys could be? This is about as weak a first as it gets, granted -- more likely to convey as seconds if Portland doesn't get it back. But it gives the Blazers more flexibility with moving future picks in case things start to go right and it becomes time to acquire talent.

I like it for Chicago and really dislike San Antonio giving up that Chicago first.

I don't expect people to like this for the Spurs, tbh. It's the sort of accelerating move that depletes cap space and assets without adding more young talent. I just think it has the potential to make them substantially better next year, for whatever that's worth. Thought I'd throw it out there.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 am

wemby wrote:Alex Caruso will be (next season) on an expiring contract whose low value makes it impossible to extend, so essentially the Spurs would be giving up a projected lottery pick in a loaded draft for a 1 year rental, since they could pursue Caruso anyway in 2025 free agency if they wanted. The Spurs aren't contenders, these aren't moves they should be spending their draft capital on.

Probably a miss, yeah. I know the Spurs shouldn't squander their assets on modest upgrades, which this might be. I like the general idea of majorly upgrading their defense sooner than later, though. They could start winning a whole bunch of games and getting Wembanyama playoff-tested before it's time to tie up all their cap space on extensions.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

wemby
Senior

Post#6 » by wemby » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:49 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:It's my first attempt at the idea that nobody on Portland's bench is worth a first, but maybe aggregating some guys could be? This is about as weak a first as it gets, granted -- more likely to convey as seconds if Portland doesn't get it back. But it gives the Blazers more flexibility with moving future picks in case things start to go right and it becomes time to acquire talent.

If the Spurs had a less valuable first rounder, I would consider using it on Brogdon + Thybulle, maybe even add a good second on top. Problem is, all Spurs own are very valuable FRPs, except the Charlotte one which is unlikely to convey in the first round.
wemby
Senior

Post#7 » by wemby » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
wemby wrote:Alex Caruso will be (next season) on an expiring contract whose low value makes it impossible to extend, so essentially the Spurs would be giving up a projected lottery pick in a loaded draft for a 1 year rental, since they could pursue Caruso anyway in 2025 free agency if they wanted. The Spurs aren't contenders, these aren't moves they should be spending their draft capital on.

Probably a miss, yeah. I know the Spurs shouldn't squander their assets on modest upgrades, which this might be. I like the general idea of majorly upgrading their defense sooner than later, though. They could start winning a whole bunch of games and getting Wembanyama playoff-tested before it's time to tie up all their cap space on extensions.

I don't disagree that Caruso would be an excellent addition from a basketball perspective, only that the assets that would be required to get him aren't worth it for the Spurs at Caruso's current contract and the Spurs' state of affairs.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:56 am

At the risk of getting too silly with this, is there an attainable player under contract beyond next season who would be worth the Chicago pick to San Antonio? Portland (Thybulle) and Chicago (the Chicago 2nd I have SAS sending back, perhaps other contracts) could route pieces elsewhere to get the Spurs somebody more attractive. Eh, probably not. That's a really weak package to draw a fourth team in.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

wemby
Senior

Post#9 » by wemby » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:46 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:At the risk of getting too silly with this, is there an attainable player under contract beyond next season who would be worth the Chicago pick to San Antonio? Portland (Thybulle) and Chicago (the Chicago 2nd I have SAS sending back, perhaps other contracts) could route pieces elsewhere to get the Spurs somebody more attractive. Eh, probably not. That's a really weak package to draw a fourth team in.

The main issue in my eyes is San Antonio's roster situation: there is Wemby (potential future MVP), and then there are quite a few interesting pieces like Vassell (good 3rd option), Sochan (future versatile, lockdown defender 1-4), and also several prospects (Cissoko, Barlow, Branham, Wesley, etc), but there's no one who projects as a 2nd star next to Wemby.

Given that the Spurs lottery window is dwindling down naturally because of Wemby's growth (as horrible a season as we had still ended up 5th, so next season we should be 8th or 9th even if we don't do much), I think they should use most of their last high potential picks (Spurs own 2024, Toronto's 2024, Chicago's 2025, Atlanta's 2025) trying to find that future 2nd star (either drafting players of trading for a star, I'd prefer the former) rather complementary pieces which can be had later on by other means (late picks, smaller trades, free agency, etc).

With that said, if the Spurs strike gold in this draft (with potentlally 2 high lottery picks) and they come away with someone they feel confident can be Wemby's sidekick, then it could be an entirely different deal by next trade deadline and could very well use the remaining high potential picks to round up a roster that can compete in the playoffs. But it's still premature IMO, too much needs to happen before that.
letsgobulls23
Pro Prospect
And1: 511

Post#10 » by letsgobulls23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

CHI should take this and run. I'd echo what others have said, it's a lot for POR to give up.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,925

Post#11 » by ChettheJet » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:33 pm

I thought only a Bulls fan would suggest something this lopsided.

I'm in the camp that PORT should make some kind of deal to get their pick back, if only to be able to include future picks in trades. Their hands are tied with only the current potential pick to trade. But man Murray and Walker plus a 1st and 2nd for Caruso, that's Santa Claus the GM. Just on potential alone either one of them would be a fair swap for Caruso but to use both to match salaries raises the potential for both to fill needs in CHI and PORT looking foolish for 5-10 years.

It's still a longshot that the Bulls will ever get that PORT pick so to be swapping that for a sure thing getting their own back should come with a big red bow tied to it. Then Caruso is coming up for the last year of a very team friendly contract. So while SAS get a great defensive, glue guy, now a 40% 3pt shooter they're going to have to resign him.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#12 » by Xman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:30 pm

[quote="wemby"][quote="Tim Lehrbach"]At the risk of getting too silly with this, is there an attainable player under contract beyond next season who would be worth the Chicago pick to San Antonio? Portland (Thybulle) and Chicago (the Chicago 2nd I have SAS sending back, perhaps other contracts) could route pieces elsewhere to get the Spurs somebody more attractive. Eh, probably not. That's a really weak package to draw a fourth team in.[/quote]
The main issue in my eyes is San Antonio's roster situation: there is Wemby (potential future MVP), and then there are quite a few interesting pieces like Vassell (good 3rd option), Sochan (future versatile, lockdown defender 1-4), and also several prospects (Cissoko, Barlow, Branham, Wesley, etc), but there's no one who projects as a 2nd star next to Wemby.

Given that the Spurs lottery window is dwindling down naturally because of Wemby's growth (as horrible a season as we had still ended up 5th, so next season we should be 8th or 9th even if we don't do much), I think they should use most of their last high potential picks (Spurs own 2024, Toronto's 2024, Chicago's 2025, Atlanta's 2025) trying to find that future 2nd star (either drafting players of trading for a star, I'd prefer the former) rather complementary pieces which can be had later on by other means (late picks, smaller trades, free agency, etc).

With that said, if the Spurs strike gold in this draft (with potentlally 2 high lottery picks) and they come away with someone they feel confident can be Wemby's sidekick, then it could be an entirely different deal by next trade deadline and could very well use the remaining high potential picks to round up a roster that can compete in the playoffs. But it's still premature IMO, too much needs to happen before that.[/quote]

I feel the Spurs are one of the few teams that could really use the guys in this draft. Topic and Risacher seem like especially good fits
All it takes is one team to jump into top 4 below Toronto and Toronto to not jump up for SA to get pick #7 from TOR.

My dream scenario (involving HOU and SA):
NBA Lottery draw - - #1 HOU, #2 SA, #7 SA
SA trades #7 and picks for #3. [picks = CHA or CHI 1st and 2nds}
SA trades future picks to HOU for #1 [future picks = 2025&27 ATL 1sts, CHA or CHI 1st, few 2nds - maybe a salary dump in related deal].

Idea is that SA moves up to draft Topic, Sarr, Risacher (top 3 guys by most opinions)
Lineup (by season end):
Topic/Vassell/Risacher/Sarr/Wemby
Main bench: Sochan/KJohnson/TJones/ZCollins
And prospects: Cissoko, Barlow, Branham, Wesley, Champagnie

With that much youth, the record would suffer one more year (which gives another top guy in a strong draft). Plus, it would let Pop get his guys now - and Pop is old so get him working with them asap. As a side benefit, it would be team Euro (mainly France - Wemby/Risacher/Sarr/Cissoko - Topic is Serbian - Sochan is English - couple of other minor guys). I could totally see Pop arranging an offseason camp at a nice winery in France.
wemby
Senior

Post#13 » by wemby » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 pm

Xman wrote:I feel the Spurs are one of the few teams that could really use the guys in this draft. Topic and Risacher seem like especially good fits
All it takes is one team to jump into top 4 below Toronto and Toronto to not jump up for SA to get pick #7 from TOR.

My dream scenario (involving HOU and SA):
NBA Lottery draw - - #1 HOU, #2 SA, #7 SA
SA trades #7 and picks for #3. [picks = CHA or CHI 1st and 2nds}
SA trades future picks to HOU for #1 [future picks = 2025&27 ATL 1sts, CHA or CHI 1st, few 2nds - maybe a salary dump in related deal].

Idea is that SA moves up to draft Topic, Sarr, Risacher (top 3 guys by most opinions)
Lineup (by season end):
Topic/Vassell/Risacher/Sarr/Wemby
Main bench: Sochan/KJohnson/TJones/ZCollins
And prospects: Cissoko, Barlow, Branham, Wesley, Champagnie

With that much youth, the record would suffer one more year (which gives another top guy in a strong draft). Plus, it would let Pop get his guys now - and Pop is old so get him working with them asap. As a side benefit, it would be team Euro (mainly France - Wemby/Risacher/Sarr/Cissoko - Topic is Serbian - Sochan is English - couple of other minor guys). I could totally see Pop arranging an offseason camp at a nice winery in France.

If the Spurs were that interested in picking at the top, they wouldn't have allowed the Hornets and Blazers to get past them in the last week. Going by their actions, it;s much more likely they're content picking at 6/7 or whatever, if anyone could trade up it's more likely to be the Wizards or Blazers IMO (say, for Sarr)
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#14 » by Xman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 pm

Yeah, I can see Saar being a target. But, a 7'1 pf next to a 7'4 c would be strong.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#15 » by Malapropism » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 pm

Portland would not do this, and even if they did, it would be one of those last minute things at the trade deadline assuming there's no other moves out there - since they have until the end of the season to get under the tax line.

The first is a sunk cost, and it's never going to be a lottery pick that conveys, so there's little incentive for Portland to want it back. IF it conveys, it's a good thing because it signifies the team is actually making the progress we needs. The ability to include firsts in a trade is not a factor since Portland will not be in a position to trade their own firsts anyways unless the team actually makes the playoffs, in which case, the pick will convey and future picks will be opened up at that point.

This is a horribly short sighted deal.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,610

Post#16 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:02 am

Spurs are never doing this.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.

Return to Trades and Transactions