Off-season Deal: Raps/Mavs

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,566

Off-season Deal: Raps/Mavs 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm

Ill offer this idea for:
-Mavs unload some long term salary while getting a more versatile rotational piece in Bruce Brown and free up roster spot
-Raps get younger with a 2 guard who can replace Trent

To Dallas
-Bruce Brown (1 year, $23 million)
-Jalen McDaniels (1 year, $4.7 million)
-2026 Raptors 2nd round pick

To Toronto
-Josh Green (3 years, $41 million)
-Maxi Kleber (2 years, $22 million)
-Dwight Powell (1 year, $4 million)

Why?
-Raps get a young SG in Green who can replace Trent Jr. and he and Dick can compete for starting 2 guard role. Kleber provides depth at 4 and Powell depth at 5 as Raps can focus on select PG and/or a Wing in draft

Quickley/1st/FA?
Dick/Green/2nd
Barrett/Agbaji/1st
Barnes/Olynyk/Kleber
Poeltl/Boucher/Powell

-Dallas gets more versatile and athletic off bench with acquiring Brown and McDaniels as they create more cap flexibility

Doncic/Exem/FA?
Irving/Brown/Hardy
Hardway/McDaniels/Lawson
Washington/Prosper/FA?
Lively/Gafford/FA?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,322

Re: Off-season Deal: Raps/Mavs 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm

I much rather waive brown and get capspace. Neither green or maxi is worth their deals
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,046

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:25 pm

Maxi and Powell are solid guys to have around for the Mavs, but if it means we can clear space, get an additional second, and rid ourselves of the lowest basketball IQ player in the league today, I'm all for it.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,451

Post#4 » by oldncreaky » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:32 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:I much rather waive brown and get capspace. Neither green or maxi is worth their deals

This

Brown isn't worth his contract, but there's zero sense in doubling down and committing $70M+ to marginal players when Brown can just be released.

And while Maxi and Green may or may not make financial sense on a 50-win Dallas team, they would be overpaid backups on a Toronto team that may or may not have enough talent to compete for the play-in.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,986

Post#5 » by Apz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:35 pm

Does it even clear capspace for mavs?
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,566

Post#6 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:17 pm

Apz wrote:Does it even clear capspace for mavs?

Cap Space = No, Cap flexibility = Yes.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,939

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:28 pm

I don't understand any reason for Toronto to do this.

I understand your reasoning for Dallas, but right now dumping future money of rotation players seems like the wrong direction. Kleber in particular plays a key role for the team and there aren't ready replacements for him on the street.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,199

Post#8 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:10 am

oldncreaky wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:I much rather waive brown and get capspace. Neither green or maxi is worth their deals

This

Brown isn't worth his contract, but there's zero sense in doubling down and committing $70M+ to marginal players when Brown can just be released.

And while Maxi and Green may or may not make financial sense on a 50-win Dallas team, they would be overpaid backups on a Toronto team that may or may not have enough talent to compete for the play-in.
1 million percent this. Trading for Green when you have enough wings is a bad use of cap space. I don't think Toronto is taking a PG unless they are at #6 or they love Topic.

Even at #6 I think Buzelis or Ron Holland make more sense. Buzelis even more so
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,504

Post#9 » by Mavrelous » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:58 am

Dallas wants to be 2nd Apron team in 25, so they need Maxi/Powell contracts to facilitate, they got screwed by new CBA and are effectively hardcapped at 1st Apron next year.
TOR gaurantees a bad deal to take on worse deals for a 2nd rd pick, not a good business.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Trades and Transactions