Jae'Sean Tate + Jock Landale + Jeff Green + 9th Overall Draft Pick = ??

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,765

Re: Jae'Sean Tate + Jock Landale + Jeff Green + 9th Overall Draft Pick = ?? 

Post#21 » by MessiahUjiri » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 am

Dejounte sounds nice. But I don’t think a rebuilding package is what Atlanta wants.

Assuming there is no “Star” player available via trade, here’s a backup trade:

#9, Steven Adams, Jeff Green
for
#17, Bruce Brown

Move back in the draft and pickup a vet for expiring junk salary.

This assumes Houston wants to actually make the playoffs next year, and the guys in this draft beyond the top 5 look like nothing surefire.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,912

Post#22 » by LarsV8 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:19 am

Bruce Brown is not a positive value player.
wegotthabeet
Veteran
And1: 1,945

Post#23 » by wegotthabeet » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 am

LarsV8 wrote:Bruce Brown is not a positive value player.

He is if you want to cut 22 million in salary instantly over the summer or a rotation player on an expiring contract next season.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,424

Post#24 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 am

wegotthabeet wrote:

He is if you want to cut 22 million in salary instantly over the summer or a rotation player on an expiring contract next season.

Adams is expiring, Green is completely NG.

I'd also rather have Adams than Brown for what Houston needs.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,860

Post#25 » by giberish » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:10 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

Adams is expiring, Green is completely NG.

I'd also rather have Adams than Brown for what Houston needs.

Also Brown has to be guaranteed to match salaries in a trade. So this wouldn't be saving Houston money. And if Adams is back healthy he's got on-court value.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,938

Post#26 » by K_chile22 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:11 am

wegotthabeet wrote:

That's not how unguaranteed salaries in trade work anymore
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#27 » by K_chile22 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am

Brought this up in the Portland thread but if they dump most of the salary on another team, Simons?
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 728

Post#28 » by RollingWave » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:29 pm

Rockets probably looking for more future potential at this stage, so younger players and or more picks down the road? though they might be open to other things as well, among the bunch oddly Jeff Green might be the one I'm least willing to just give away in terms foa rotation guy that might fit in a lot of situations.

I don't think that's enough to get Simons unless the pick ended up jumping and/or there's someone Portland is just in love with at that spot or it's with some other things.

Simons contract does present some other issues for Houston in terms of they probably need to make a decision on FFV / Green more definitively after next season.

If we take out the Nets pick part if a kinda competetive team with one really bad contract wants out this stems like a decent collection of guys that at least has a chance to be real contributors. What is like GSW willing to give to the Rockets if they make this deal for Wiggins or something, they could throw in Dillon Brooks for a different type of head case (that's probably gonna play at least) ?

There are a few other guys like that potentially. for relatively more competitive teams
The river of time wash away all heroes
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,515

Post#29 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Brought this up in the Portland thread but if they dump most of the salary on another team, Simons?

Is this Jalen+?? for Simons or is it to add Simons to Jalen?

If it’s to add him to FVV/Jalen/Cam/Amen group (I don’t like that version as much as using whatever value Jalen has) then I wouldn’t involve a third team, giving up value to avoid buying guys out isn’t what Portland should be doing. Whatever combination Houston sends Portland will end up trimming 5+ million once they reduce the roster down to 15..
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#30 » by K_chile22 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:53 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Brought this up in the Portland thread but if they dump most of the salary on another team, Simons?

If it’s to add him to FVV/Jalen/Cam/Amen group (I don’t like that version as much as using whatever value Jalen has) then I wouldn’t involve a third team, giving up value to avoid buying guys out isn’t what Portland should be doing. Whatever combination Houston sends Portland will end up trimming 5+ million once they reduce the roster down to 15..
Well Portland needs to get out of the tax.

But figured they wouldn't necessarily value Jalen for much of the same reason they'd be trading Simons. I'd bring both into camp and see who wins the starting spot if they could pull the trade off without him.

Jalen is in a weird spot where the flashes make me hesitant to trade him in a non-star package, yet probably doesn't have a ton of value around the league and I don't trust him to not just be bad again next year
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,515

Post#31 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Well Portland needs to get out of the tax.

But figured they wouldn't necessarily value Jalen for much of the same reason they'd be trading Simons. I'd bring both into camp and see who wins the starting spot if they could pull the trade off without him.

Jalen is in a weird spot where the flashes make me hesitant to trade him in a non-star package, yet probably doesn't have a ton of value around the league and I don't trust him to not just be bad again next year

Yeah, if you have Simons worth the 9th pick and delay the trade for 9th to count as salary matching..

Tate to cap space team (or into a TPE/MLE)
Jock and 9th to Portland
Simons and one of Reath/Banton/Rupert/Walker to Houston

That takes care of the tax issue completely.

I’d just agree to Jock/Tate/9th for Simons and two of those four.. And be close enough to dropping the tax that you figure it out later..
wegotthabeet
Veteran

Post#32 » by wegotthabeet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 am

K_chile22 wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

So a team couldn’t trade for him before July 1st just to cut 22 million in salary? Is that what you’re saying?
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#33 » by K_chile22 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:49 am

wegotthabeet wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

So a team couldn’t trade for him before July 1st just to cut 22 million in salary? Is that what you’re saying?
Well first of all I missed that Bruce Brown has a team option and not a non-guarantee so he can't even be traded at all unless that option is picked up

But in general, if it was a non-guarantee, the answer is also no, see here:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85

After a teams season ends their players count as the lesser of the current league year salary and next league years guaranteed salary, so he would hypothetically counts as $0 in matching salary from Toronto's POV unless they guaranteed his deal, but again, moot point because it's a team option

Another thing is all the guys Houston is sending in that hypothetical trade are non guaranteed so they'd gain absolutely nothing by trading them for a different hypothetical guy to waive
wegotthabeet
Veteran

Post#34 » by wegotthabeet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:That's not how unguaranteed salaries in trade work anymore

Well first of all I missed that Bruce Brown has a team option and not a non-guarantee so he can't even be traded at all unless that option is picked up

But in general, if it was a non-guarantee, the answer is also no, see here:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85

After a teams season ends their players count as the lesser of the current league year salary and next league years guaranteed salary, so he would hypothetically counts as $0 in matching salary from Toronto's POV unless they guaranteed his deal, but again, moot point because it's a team option

Another thing is all the guys Houston is sending in that hypothetical trade are non guaranteed so they'd gain absolutely nothing by trading them for a different hypothetical guy to waive

Good explanation. Thanks.

Return to Trades and Transactions