Offers for Brandon Ingram?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

balsamic_ducks
Junior
And1: 212

Re: Offers for Brandon Ingram? 

Post#21 » by balsamic_ducks » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 pm

esvl wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
esvl wrote:
Really? Interesting. Remind me what Zion can do beyond cutting?

Why does it even matter if you can get 30 points off cutting with elite efficiency.

Because it happens at the cost of other players’ efficiency. To make Zion score 30 pts, all team has to work hard to create him cutting opportunities enough to justify his salary. He is effectively a liability on both ends. No defence, no creation, no shooting, no passing.

Serious question, have you watched Zion? He has the ball in his hands the majority of the time, he creates his own offense and his passing has gotten better every year. He's also not a bad defender anymore
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 381

Post#22 » by esvl » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:54 pm

balsamic_ducks wrote:
esvl wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Why does it even matter if you can get 30 points off cutting with elite efficiency.

Because it happens at the cost of other players’ efficiency. To make Zion score 30 pts, all team has to work hard to create him cutting opportunities enough to justify his salary. He is effectively a liability on both ends. No defence, no creation, no shooting, no passing.

Serious question, have you watched Zion? He has the ball in his hands the majority of the time, he creates his own offense and his passing has gotten better every year. He's also not a bad defender anymore

He is a great player, I don’t doubt that. I am judging his ability to be something beyond that - a franchise star the contending team can be built around. I’d rather go with Ingram than him.
balsamic_ducks
Junior
And1: 212

Post#23 » by balsamic_ducks » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 pm

esvl wrote:
balsamic_ducks wrote:
esvl wrote:

He is a great player, I don’t doubt that. I am judging his ability to be something beyond that - a franchise star the contending team can be built around. I’d rather go with Ingram than him.

That's fair, I just thought your assessment of his game was all wrong. Especially the no creation and no passing part.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#24 » by eminence » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:35 pm

If GS wants to keep racking up tax bills: CP3/Kuminga/pick?
I bought a boat.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,231

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 pm

balsamic_ducks wrote:
esvl wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

He's also still a bad defender.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:28 pm

I think people are kind of kidding themselves as to what the best offer will be for one of the few under-30, good, two-way SFs will be if he hits the market. He's returning at least as much as Siakam did at the deadline.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,994

Post#27 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I think people are kind of kidding themselves as to what the best offer will be for one of the few under-30, good, two-way SFs will be if he hits the market. He's returning at least as much as Siakam did at the deadline.

Is he?

1) Significantly worse player than Siakam
2) No history of scaling up on good teams
3) Character question marks

I think the idea of Ingram is far better than the actualized reality of Ingram
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:04 pm

Colbinii wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I think people are kind of kidding themselves as to what the best offer will be for one of the few under-30, good, two-way SFs will be if he hits the market. He's returning at least as much as Siakam did at the deadline.

Is he?

1) Significantly worse player than Siakam
2) No history of scaling up on good teams
3) Character question marks

I think the idea of Ingram is far better than the actualized reality of Ingram

There's not really a clear statical case for No. 1.

He's 4 years younger than Siakam and he's never played on a team as good as the Raptors with Leonard.

I could be wrong but I think the character stuff is really about his motor and you had Masai publicly calling out Siakam on that very issue when the season started.

The Pelicans are going to get value for him even as a rental.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
RookieJazz
Junior
And1: 43

Post#29 » by RookieJazz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:19 pm

Jazz can offer 2 FRP + Fillers
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#30 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:20 pm

RookieJazz wrote:Jazz can offer 2 FRP + Fillers

They can offer a lot more than 2 FRP.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 756

Post#31 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:28 pm

Colbinii wrote:

The Ingram idea is like..... semi plausible but also weird.

Ingram was just... OK this year.

And he would only stay in Utah for a max.

So now you're giving 60% of the salary cap to Ingram and Markkanen.

And Ingram should be your third best player but he needs to be your first option as he doesn't like deferring so you need superstar offball scorers and superstar defenders... And the Jazz have the star offball scorer, but they were the worst defensive team in NBA history...

So you need to get some defensive stars next to Ingram and Markkanen and then the cap starts to look extremely dicey.

Like, if you had a Gobert quality defender at center and a Jrue quality defender at PG, then this core looks great... Acquiring those two guys would be extremely hard and push the Jazz to the second apron with limited depth.

Acquiring Ingram himself is also hard as it probably requires a 3-5 team trade. You need to pay a team to take on John Collins' contract (which has to be sent out in this deal) and you need to send the picks to a third team willing to give up a player that fits better with Zion.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:42 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

And Ingram should be your third best player but he needs to be your first option as he doesn't like deferring so you need superstar offball scorers and superstar defenders... And the Jazz have the star offball scorer, but they were the worst defensive team in NBA history...

So you need to get some defensive stars next to Ingram and Markkanen and then the cap starts to look extremely dicey.

Like, if you had a Gobert quality defender at center and a Jrue quality defender at PG, then this core looks great... Acquiring those two guys would be extremely hard and push the Jazz to the second apron with limited depth.

Acquiring Ingram himself is also hard as it probably requires a 3-5 team trade. You need to pay a team to take on John Collins' contract (which has to be sent out in this deal) and you need to send the picks to a third team willing to give up a player that fits better with Zion.

Ingram's defensive rating was 2 points off of Herb Jones while playing on the same team. The idea that he wasn't as good as Sexton is risible.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,027

Post#33 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:47 pm

Ingram for Garland trade? Pelicans would need to add something and bench CJ.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:48 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Ingram's defensive rating was 2 points off of Herb Jones while playing on the same team. The idea that he wasn't as good as Sexton is risible.

Individual unadjusted DRtg is a pretty horrible stat, lol. He was benched for defense and decision making last night.

"Out of necessity (owing to a lack of defensive data in the basic boxscore), individual Defensive Ratings are heavily influenced by the team's defensive efficiency. They assume that all teammates are equally good (per minute) at forcing non-steal turnovers and non-block misses, as well as assuming that all teammates face the same number of total possessions per minute.

Perhaps as a byproduct, big men tend to have the best Defensive Ratings (although Oliver notes that history's best defensive teams were generally anchored by dominant defensive big men, suggesting that those types of players are the most important to a team's defensive success). A corollary to this is that excellent perimeter defenders who don't steal the ball a lot — for instance, Joe Dumars or Doug Christie — are underrated defensively by DRtg, and are prone to look only as good as their team's overall defense performs."

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html

The issue for Ingram is that his TS+ over the last three years is

Which is...... fine for an iso scorer... But not great... And Sexton's was 105.

Ingram also misses around 30 games a year.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#35 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

You can't be serious. That's a horrible statistic. There are many better measures for defensive impact than individual defensive rating.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:52 pm

Ingram obviously has the potential to be an average defender while Sexton has no upside to ever even reach the level of below average, but Ingram's defense has been extremely up and down in reality.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,769

Post#37 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:04 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:I'd like to see the Pistons add Ingram.

Ivey + Stewart + '24 1st [Pistons would have to draft who the Pelicans want], future 1st would probably be the offer.

Depending on where the Pistons pick lands, they could end up with a player like Sarr.

Pistons could certainly use him. Hard to give up all those assets if Ingram isn’t on a long term deal.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Post#38 » by pipfan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:17 pm

Any interest in Lavine (buddies with Zion)? Lavine, #11 pick, Port pick. Not sure what else we could offer-maybe Caruso (and take out the Port pick then)
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#39 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:31 pm

theBigLip wrote:

Ivey + Stewart + '24 1st [Pistons would have to draft who the Pelicans want], future 1st would probably be the offer.

Depending on where the Pistons pick lands, they could end up with a player like Sarr.

Pistons could certainly use him. Hard to give up all those assets if Ingram isn’t on a long term deal.

Definitely risky with his injury history and about to hit the market but he would be relied upon more for scoring which could be a selling point they can use to get him to sign long term.

At some point the Pistons can't keep drafting lottery guys every year.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,769

Post#40 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Definitely risky with his injury history and about to hit the market but he would be relied upon more for scoring which could be a selling point they can use to get him to sign long term.

At some point the Pistons can't keep drafting lottery guys every year.

We can if we keep losing. :lol:

Seriously, we got $70M+ in cap space. That’s got to bring in some established players. If we can do that and stay healthy, I think we can make the play in, especially since we are in the East. Critical offseason. I’m actually rooting against the Pels vs Kings so they are motivated to make some moves - several of their players could help the Pistons, Pels are getting an expensive roster, and Pistons could just absorb someone. Rumors to be continued…

Return to Trades and Transactions