Instant Reaction: What Does Golden State Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Re: Instant Reaction: What Does Golden State Do This Off-Season? 

Post#41 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:43 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:They're pretty much stuck in no man's land.

No one wants Wiggins' contract,
Curry and Draymond are staying unless one or both of them request a trade
Klay should either walk or sign an inflated "farewell" 1 year deal
Podziemski makes Moody expendable so I expect Moody to be traded (plus didn't Moody complain about his role this year?)
CP3 will be gone
Kuminga will probably sign an extension at some point next season

The Warriors do draft well so I have no concern about their future.

I think another option of Klay is the Udonis Haslem route - keep playing on one year deals at a number that fits the team each year. Klay will have to make a choice this summer between money and staying in Golden State. I think we are at the point where Klay has a roster spot in Golden State as long as he wants, but on the teams financial terms.

I agree that Moody is likely traded as both he and Kumingia are extension eligible this summer. Golden State should look to recycle those rookie scale years, even if he's flipped for a high teens/low 20's 1st or a rookie scale guy on a longer deal. I don't know if the Warriors and Lakers would ever deal, but something like Moody for Jalen Hood-Schifino could make sense. Better win now fit in LA and more rookie control in Golden State.

Great point about the UD role for Klay. I think that's likely the route they go. I think Dunleavy will keep this core going until Curry and Draymond's contracts run out.

I like the thinking with Moody to the Lakers but they have a good amount of guards already: D'Lo will likely re-sign, maybe Dinwiddie re-signs on the minimum this summer, Max Christie is due for a new contract, and Gabe Vincent is still around. If Moody had the size to play small forward, I think he'd be a good get.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,598

Post#42 » by dakomish23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:47 pm

Go get a 2nd guy who can create for himself and others. Everything is on Steph
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,021

Post#43 » by R-DAWG » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:47 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

Podziemski makes Moody expendable so I expect Moody to be traded (plus didn't Moody complain about his role this year?)
CP3 will be gone

I think another option of Klay is the Udonis Haslem route - keep playing on one year deals at a number that fits the team each year. Klay will have to make a choice this summer between money and staying in Golden State. I think we are at the point where Klay has a roster spot in Golden State as long as he wants, but on the teams financial terms.

I agree that Moody is likely traded as both he and Kumingia are extension eligible this summer. Golden State should look to recycle those rookie scale years, even if he's flipped for a high teens/low 20's 1st or a rookie scale guy on a longer deal. I don't know if the Warriors and Lakers would ever deal, but something like Moody for Jalen Hood-Schifino could make sense. Better win now fit in LA and more rookie control in Golden State.

Great point about the UD role for Klay. I think that's likely the route they go. I think Dunleavy will keep this core going until Curry and Draymond's contracts run out.

I like the thinking with Moody to the Lakers but they have a good amount of guards already: D'Lo will likely re-sign, maybe Dinwiddie re-signs on the minimum this summer, Max Christie is due for a new contract, and Gabe Vincent is still around. If Moody had the size to play small forward, I think he'd be a good get.

Moody is a better player than Max Christie. He's a 6-5 wing, so a little on a small side to play SF but you can make it work and his 3 and D skill set is likely an upgrade with upside over Taureen Prince. I can see a Russell-Reaves-Moody combination fitting with James and Davis up front, even if Moody is a 6th man. Better fit both on the court and on timeline with the Lakers roster than Jalen Hood-Schifino, while JHS on roster fit and rookie scale timeline might be a better fit in Golden State.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,522

Post#44 » by Wolveswin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:49 pm

How about Randle? Warriors kind of have resources Wolves need for Towns. But no way do Wolves trade Towns to West/Warriors. And no way Warriors want Towns 50M. Enter Knicks and Randle…

To Knicks: Towns + Wiggins + Wolves Filler

To Warriors: Randle + DDV or Hart + Wolves Filler

To Wolves: Kuminga + Moody + Bogdanovic + Picks from Warriors and Knicks
louc1970
Senior
And1: 156

Post#45 » by louc1970 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 pm

If it is me, I am looking for trade partners for nearly everyone on the team. FA can come back but it had better be team friendly.

Only safe players should be Curry, Kuminga, Pod, and maybe TJD (depending on the offer).
Paul is going to bring back a TE or a player looking to be dumped.
Thompson needs to swallow his pride and understand he is now the 6th man and should be paid as such (under $20).
I would get role pieces and picks in place for Wiggins, Green, Looney. Perhaps those pieces could make a good supporting cast for Curry.
If not, they will be entering total rebuild with or without those aging stars.
I could see moving Klay to Philly so they have a playoff vet who also fills a need - playing beside Maxey, Oubre. Perhaps Philly gives Reed, 2024 SRP).
Green to OKC for some young pieces - perhaps Giddey, K. Williams, Dieng (or a pick). Gives OKC a tested playoff vet to run with the inexperience of the team.
Wiggins perhaps to Detroit for Fournier and a couple of future SRP. Fournier gets cut and only owed $6M.

Going to have to find a way to get better players in (younger) and roll with it.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,042

Post#46 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:54 pm

Wolveswin wrote:How about Randle? Warriors kind of have resources Wolves need for Towns. But no way do Wolves trade Towns to West/Warriors. And no way Warriors want Towns 50M. Enter Knicks and Randle…

Why not just get Towns?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,042

Post#47 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm

Stephen Curry PG $55,761,216
Chris Paul PG $30,000,000
Andrew Wiggins SF $26,276,786
Draymond Green PF $24,107,143
Gary Payton II PG $9,130,000
Kevon Looney C $8,000,000
Jonathan Kuminga PF $7,636,307
Moses Moody SG $5,803,269
Brandin Podziemski SG $3,519,960
Trayce Jackson-Davis PF $1,891,857
Gui Santos SF $1,891,857

I have them at ~144 Million with Kevon Looney and without Chris Paul.

Keep: Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Jonathan Kuminga*, Moses Moody, Brandin Podziemski, Trayce Jackson-Davis
Shop: Andrew Wiggins, Gary Payton II, Kevon Looney
Free Agents: Klay Thompson, Dario Saric

*Jonathan Kuminga should be shopped only as a piece for a major-impact player coming back, which I find unlikely.

1) I would reach out to Klay and let him know we are only retaining him at our price. We already paid him $190 Million for ~200 games between 2020-2024. Thank you for your contribution as a Splash Brother but it is time we get younger on the wing and blend in the new crop.

2) CP3 has a TO for 30 Million. I would reach out to Chicago about Zach LaVine. Would they take CP3/GPII/Moody/1st for LaVine?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,858

Post#48 » by psman2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:50 pm

Colbinii wrote:Stephen Curry PG $55,761,216
Chris Paul PG $30,000,000
Andrew Wiggins SF $26,276,786
Draymond Green PF $24,107,143
Gary Payton II PG $9,130,000
Kevon Looney C $8,000,000
Jonathan Kuminga PF $7,636,307
Moses Moody SG $5,803,269
Brandin Podziemski SG $3,519,960
Trayce Jackson-Davis PF $1,891,857
Gui Santos SF $1,891,857

I have them at ~144 Million with Kevon Looney and without Chris Paul.

Keep: Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Jonathan Kuminga*, Moses Moody, Brandin Podziemski, Trayce Jackson-Davis
Shop: Andrew Wiggins, Gary Payton II, Kevon Looney
Free Agents: Klay Thompson, Dario Saric

*Jonathan Kuminga should be shopped only as a piece for a major-impact player coming back, which I find unlikely.

1) I would reach out to Klay and let him know we are only retaining him at our price. We already paid him $190 Million for ~200 games between 2020-2024. Thank you for your contribution as a Splash Brother but it is time we get younger on the wing and blend in the new crop.

2) CP3 has a TO for 30 Million. I would reach out to Chicago about Zach LaVine. Would they take CP3/GPII/Moody/1st for LaVine?

The unfortunate truth is this is the only type of trade they should consider at this point if they are determined to continue to push in around Curry. They have to find a low cost/high reward type of trade and I think Lavine falls into that category. They are going to have to be bargain bin shopping and really shouldn't lay out a lot of future assets on the long shot that the Warriors can make another run. And they really don't have the assets and will get outbid on any in demand star trade unless the star really forced his way to the Warriors....like a Lebron.

My take it or leave it offer is a 2/32m offer to Klay.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Wolveswin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:51 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:How about Randle? Warriors kind of have resources Wolves need for Towns. But no way do Wolves trade Towns to West/Warriors. And no way Warriors want Towns 50M. Enter Knicks and Randle…

Why not just get Towns?

Explained why in my post.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,335

Post#50 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:14 pm

I'd love them to go get a second star. I think Curry has enough in the tank to make some noise. It's too bad they didn't do Paul + filler for LaVine. Something like Curry/LaVine/Payton/Draymond/Towns would be really fun and probably pretty good. Not sure if they'd be a true threat for a championship, but it would be an adequately good team for Curry and company to go out on their own terms rather than fading into the dregs.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,791

Post#51 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:29 pm

No way the Warriors pay for Towns and settle for Randle.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:32 pm

R-DAWG wrote:

CP3 will be gone

Not trying to be rude, but Moody for JHS doesn't make sense for us at all. JHS looked awful as a rookie and we already have a better young guard in Podz.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Wolveswin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:37 pm

gswhoops wrote:

Not paying for Towns. Paying for Randle+. GSW doesn’t have assets for Towns - more so when Wolves require a same conference tax. Randle is in your price point.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:50 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

Not paying for Towns. Paying for Randle+. GSW doesn’t have assets for Towns - more so when Wolves require a same conference tax. Randle is in your price point.

Don't have any interest in Randle, so it's a moot point. If the Knicks want Towns, they can send their picks and prospects for him.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Wolveswin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:59 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
gswhoops wrote:No way the Warriors pay for Towns and settle for Randle.

Don't have any interest in Randle, so it's a moot point. If the Knicks want Towns, they can send their picks and prospects for him.

Hence my very first line was a question. What about Randle.

GSW doesn’t have assets for Towns.
NW
Starter
And1: 349

Post#56 » by NW » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:00 pm

CP3 is gone clearing 30 mil off the cap unless his contract can be part of a package for a #2 guy.

Klay likely re-signs for a decent pay cut-don’t see Orlando or anyone else going too high on him

GP2 has already teased that taking his player option and re-upping for a longer cheaper deal is an option.

Loon is partially guaranteed so he’s a possible release.

Should be able to get under the tax and be able to use mid level.

Blazers should get the first rounder so that should open up firsts to be dealt with youth like JK to try to get that number 2.

Wiggins likely stays as he won’t return anything better than him when he’s playing to his capability

So it’s cut salary and, hopefully, deal for a #2 guy. No idea who that is though
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#57 » by Wolveswin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:07 pm

To Raptors: Wiggins + 2nds or more?

To Pelicans: Poeltl + Moody + GSW 1st or two

To Warriors: Ingram

Pels can cut bait getting assets for expiring Ingram.

Raps get hometown kid.

Warriors risk Ingram expiring/fitting.

Green
Kuminga
Ingram
Klay
Curry
facothomas22
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#58 » by facothomas22 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:11 pm

What I think they should do: Trade Stephen Curry for the best package possible,let Klay walk, see if someone is willing to take on Draymond Green's contract, and focus on developing on their young players such as Jonathan Kuminga,Brandian Podziemski, and Trayce Jackson-Davis.

What they will likely do: Trade Andrew Wiggins, give Klay Thompson another contract, and maybe trade Jonathan Kuminga + picks for a star level player.
NW
Starter
And1: 349

Post#59 » by NW » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:16 pm

Wolveswin wrote:To Raptors: Wiggins + 2nds or more?

To Pelicans: Poeltl + Moody + GSW 1st or two

To Warriors: Ingram

Pels can cut bait getting assets for expiring Ingram.

Raps get hometown kid.

Warriors risk Ingram expiring/fitting.

Green
Kuminga
Ingram
Klay
Curry

Ingram’s an interesting name. Not sure Toronto does this particular deal or why the Pels want or need Poetl though
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#60 » by OxAndFox » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:34 pm

Well, they need to turn the team over to Kuminga/Moody/Podz.
Keep Steph and trade Dray and Wiggins. Let Klay and CP3 go.
See if Houston will part with one of their wings (Whitmore) for getting Dray who makes them a formidable defense with FVV/Brooks/Smith Jr/Thompson/Dray.
Dray/'26 1st for Whitmore/Landale/Tate
Send Wiggins back to Canada.
Wiggins for Brown

* Either Sign Covington (injury dependent)/Batum to MLE or trade it to a team looking to cut salary and get an asset.

Steph/Pods/Vet Min
Moody/GP2/Vet Min
Whitmore/Brown/Tate
Kuminga/Covington*/Santos
Looney/TJD/Landale

You have loads of expiring money with GP2/Brown/Looney/Landale/Tate to go after someone at the deadline.
Not suggesting it's a championship team, but with opportunity for the younger guys it will increase value and if they do make a jump, they might not be far off the following season.

Return to Trades and Transactions