Instant Reaction: What Does Golden State Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,023

Re: Instant Reaction: What Does Golden State Do This Off-Season? 

Post#21 » by vxmike » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:07 am

It’s time to blow it up. Klay is cooked as an impact player and should take the MLE on a playoff team.

Green and Curry are tradable with Curry still worth significant value. Basically you ask Curry if he wants to ride it out as a Warrior on play-in level teams or wants a trade.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#22 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:33 am

NYG wrote:What do the Warriors do this off-season?

Do they keep Klay? Do they just run it back mostly? Do they keep CP3 or renounce his salary to get below the tax? If they keep Paul, do they trade him? Do they trade any of the young guys?

No need to overreact too much. They had their issues early in the season with Dray's antics, injuries and Wiggins losing his abitiliy to play for some reason. But they finished strong and no-one wanted to see them in the playoffs. In most years a 46-win season should put them in the playoffs, but the West is insanely strong and in 1 play-in-game everything can happen.

What they do probably depend on what Klay is looking to get on his next deal. Going 0-10 in an elimination game sure is bad place to start (for him). If they can lock him in at a solid number. Waive CP3s 30M, sign a few solid vets and perhaps move one of the younger guys and they should be solid.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,232

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:55 am

The team paid $175M in taxes alone to be the 10th seed and get run out of the gym by a Kings team that finished the season poorly. At some point, the owner steps in and says enough.

Cut Klay loose. See if you can get expiring contracts, or substantial cap savings, for either Draymond or Wiggins. Give Curry the option of going through a rebuild or getting traded and hope he picks the latter this summer. I'd also sell high on Kuminga before scouts see him surrounded by personnel who aren't as complimentary to his game.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,125

Post#24 » by zimpy27 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 am

jredsaz wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:They keep Klay as a splash bro

Curry, Podz, Klay, Green, Looney
GP2, Moody, Kuminga, TJD, Saric

I think Wiggins get traded. I think one of Draymond or Kuminga gets traded.

I think CP3 walks to somewhere else, Lakers maybe

It was reported that no one wants Wiggins. He their most tradable salary hypothetically but where would he go and what can he return?

Not sure exactly, I expect they add some value in Kuminga to get something
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Astaluego
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#25 » by Astaluego » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:17 am

They owe it to Curry to at least try. get him some veterans for a couple of tries... Caruso+DDR(ST)+ to Warriors.. Kuminga+CP3+Moody to Bulls.. Get a competent center in the FA..Valanciunas/Drummond
Old Mike Lorenzo
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,776

Post#26 » by eminence » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:51 am

Think this is the year they cut salary unless a star becomes available.

Let CP3 go, bring back Klay at slightly above MLE money or not at all. If not at all use the MLE to bring in a 10th guy to add to this:

Curry/
Podz/GPII
Wiggins/Moody
Draymond/Kuminga
Jackson-Davis/Looney

Consider dealing Kuminga+CP3/GPII/Looney (matching) if you're not sold on him going forward.
I bought a boat.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,522

Post#27 » by jayjaysee » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:34 am

I might not be majority, but if Wiggins is seen as low enough value as some in this thread are pushing.. THJ/Maxi/2nd is still very available..

Klay.. I think you keep him if it’s cheap. And I do think it’ll be cheap. If Detroit or someone wants to give him 25 mil for some reason, thank him for the memories.

I think Golden State should make Kuminga, Podz, 2025 first, and a strongly protected 2027 first (one year roll over) available. That should return a very good player that helps Dray/Curry go on a two year run... Whether you guarantee CP to make the trad work or use some combination of GP/Looney/Kuminga as the salary and actually get under the tax..

If they aren’t pushing in now, they should trade anybody who wants to be traded. Feels similar to Dallas trying to limp rosters around Dirk the last couple years.

It’s understandable, but it didn’t help Dirk or Dallas.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,047

Post#28 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:50 am

jayjaysee wrote:I might not be majority, but if Wiggins is seen as low enough value as some in this thread are pushing.. THJ/Maxi/2nd is still very available..

Klay.. I think you keep him if it’s cheap. And I do think it’ll be cheap. If Detroit or someone wants to give him 25 mil for some reason, thank him for the memories.

I think Golden State should make Kuminga, Podz, 2025 first, and a strongly protected 2027 first (one year roll over) available. That should return a very good player that helps Dray/Curry go on a two year run... Whether you guarantee CP to make the trad work or use some combination of GP/Looney/Kuminga as the salary and actually get under the tax..

If they aren’t pushing in now, they should trade anybody who wants to be traded. Feels similar to Dallas trying to limp rosters around Dirk the last couple years.

Yes this is reminiscent of those Dallas years and it kind of hurt the team long run, though they did owe Dirk a great deal.
eminence
RealGM

Post#29 » by eminence » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:09 pm

If Steph does ask for a deal I like him/Dray as a combo to OKC.

OKC keeps the core 3, adds those two for a ton of picks (for Steph).

Steph/SGA/Jalen/Dray/Chet is a nasty starting 5. Steph is off the books when Jalen/Chet deals are kicking in.
I bought a boat.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 760

Post#30 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:27 pm

idk, it's just kind of over.

Curry and Draymond are too old to realistically compete.

Just ride it out until they retire.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#31 » by jayjaysee » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:02 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I might not be majority, but if Wiggins is seen as low enough value as some in this thread are pushing.. THJ/Maxi/2nd is still very available..

Yes this is reminiscent of those Dallas years and it kind of hurt the team long run, though they did owe Dirk a great deal.

Dallas didn’t have Kuminga/Podz though.. So GS should have the ability to add someone better than what Dallas did if they do want to give Curry a last run or two.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#32 » by jayjaysee » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:08 pm

eminence wrote:If Steph does ask for a deal I like him/Dray as a combo to OKC.

OKC keeps the core 3, adds those two for a ton of picks (for Steph).

Steph/SGA/Jalen/Dray/Chet is a nasty starting 5. Steph is off the books when Jalen/Chet deals are kicking in.

That is actually insane to add two hall of famers to the team with the second best record in the league without losing your best 3 players or your depth and not pay the tax for two years…
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,373

Post#33 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:23 pm

Let Chris Paul go and resign Klay to a modest 2-year deal that keeps them under the luxtax. Then run it back for the next 2 seasons and vie for the Play-in. That's really about the best they can do at this point.

Let's not exaggerate how bad the season was. They finished with a 46-36 record in a brutal conference while developing a bunch of young players. It's not like they were unwatchable or anything. If they were in the East, they'd be competing for home court advantage in the first round.

I'd just enjoy 2 more years of competent basketball during the twilight of Curry's career while avoiding the luxury tax. The fans will be happy. Ownership will make money. Everybody wins. If some crazy Lebron to Golden State move materializes, then, sure, go for it. But I wouldn't trade away a bunch of young guys or picks for second-tier "star" vets who won't be good enough to actually vault them back into contention.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,921

Post#34 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:30 pm

PDX could certainly help them shuffle the deck chairs - we have a ton of vets that are not long term fits -

Brogdan + Grant + Thybulle for Paul + Wiggins + Kuminga
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,782

Post#35 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:10 pm

My two cents as a Warriors fan, in no particular order:

-Steph isn't getting traded unless he asks for it, full stop. He means too much to the franchise. He's still good enough to be the #1 guy on a contender so you build around him.

-I have a hard time seeing Dray return anything that helps us more than he does, so he probably stays.

-The team needs to have a hard convo with Klay. He's not consistent enough to be a starter or to play 30+ minutes a night or close games regularly. If he's ok taking slightly north of MLE money to be a 6th/7th man then re-sign him. Otherwise thank him for the memories and let him chase another ring/paycheck elsewhere.

-CP3 is getting cut and the team is realizing the cap savings unless a true star becomes available, which isn't likely. We have a slim window to get out of the repeater tax and that requires getting under the tax line this year. Warriors aren't going to keep paying the repeater tax for a Lavine or Grant type player.

-Kuminga needs to be penciled into a starting role next year. Barring a massive trade he's the most likely player we have to be able to fill the #2 option role we desperately need. Moody, Podz, and TJD need to be given as many minutes as they can handle so we can see if they're worth re-signing (especially Moody).

-I expect that Looney will be stretch-waived (only $3M of his $8.5M for next year is guaranteed). He's simply not an effective player anymore. I would hope we use some or all of the MLE to sign a legitimate 5 who will split time with TJD next year. Dray should play as few minutes as possible at the 5 during the regular season.

-Try and move Wiggins and/or GP2 for salary relief or expiring contracts. Honestly, I'd take that THJ/Maxi deal right now. Maybe use the 2nd from that deal and/or some of our own to move GP2 to a cap space team for a TPE (he's expiring).

Roll into next year with something like:

(MLE Big) / TJD
Draymond / Maxi
Kuminga / THJ
Moody / Klay
Curry / Podz

Is it a contender? No. But it's at least an interesting squad with some upward growth potential that's not paying an insane luxury tax bill.
eminence
RealGM

Post#36 » by eminence » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:34 pm

gswhoops wrote:.

Don't think there's any need to pay to get off both Payton/Looney in that scenario, just let them expire after next season. They seem fine as 3rd stringers.

I'd just let Klay walk even at MLE money, I don't trust Kerr to use him as the 7th-9th man he should be. (probably keep both Payton/Looney then)

Wiggins for short playable deals is fine, but I think I'd prefer to keep him as a higher upside swing.

My main worry on the end group is I (and Kerr apparently too based off this seasons linueps) do not like the fit of Kuminga at the 3 at all. They almost never played him with Dray and another big.
I bought a boat.
eminence
RealGM

Post#37 » by eminence » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:50 pm

The absolute ideal outcome for the Warriors (non-Steph asks out timeline) imo is Ainge accepting something like Looney/Kuminga/picks deal for Lauri.

Going into the season with

Curry
Podz/Payton
Wiggins/Moody
Lauri
Dray/TJD

With MLE money still available and under the tax would be great.
I bought a boat.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,782

Post#38 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:14 pm

eminence wrote:
gswhoops wrote:.

Don't think there's any need to pay to get off both Payton/Looney in that scenario, just let them expire after next season. They seem fine as 3rd stringers.

I'd just let Klay walk even at MLE money, I don't trust Kerr to use him as the 7th-9th man he should be. (probably keep both Payton/Looney then)

Wiggins for short playable deals is fine, but I think I'd prefer to keep him as a higher upside swing.

My main worry on the end group is I (and Kerr apparently too based off this seasons linueps) do not like the fit of Kuminga at the 3 at all. They almost never played him with Dray and another big.

Agree that Loon and GP2 probably stay unless we need the money under the tax line. But those are relatively easy cuts if we need them.

Klay....I don't trust Kerr with him either. But given the history, I think he probably stays unless some other team throws a bag at him.

Wiggins I think we should try and move for shorter contracts if we can, because next year is going to be tight under the tax with the Kuminga (and maybe Moody) extensions kicking in.

Ideally that end group would have a 5 that could stretch the floor a little bit next to Kuminga and Dray, but the concern is a real one.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#39 » by drosestruts » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:20 pm

As a always "where there's smoke there's fire" guy when it comes to NBA trade rumors the buzz around the deadline was the Warriors wanting Caruso but the Warriors being unwilling to match Chicago's request of Kuminga.

Does that change in the offseason? The Warriors front office talks about "maximizing Curry's time " how does that align with hanging on to young players instead of making a move for a better player now like Caruso?

I my view there's also opportunities for Chicago and Golden State to further expand a potential trade, but the bigger it gets, the more complicated it quickly gets.

I think Chicago is a team that could value someone like CP3 and a number of young Bulls players (Coby and Pat) have connections to CP3 through playing for his AAU team when they were younger.

Would Golden State be interested in other veteran players like Vucevic, Craig, and Carter?

Chicago isn't the only interesting trade partner but their previous interest in Caruso is what led me to think of them (not just because I'm a Bulls fan)
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,021

Post#40 » by R-DAWG » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:22 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:They're pretty much stuck in no man's land.

No one wants Wiggins' contract,
Curry and Draymond are staying unless one or both of them request a trade
Klay should either walk or sign an inflated "farewell" 1 year deal
Podziemski makes Moody expendable so I expect Moody to be traded (plus didn't Moody complain about his role this year?)
CP3 will be gone
Kuminga will probably sign an extension at some point next season

The Warriors do draft well so I have no concern about their future.

I think another option of Klay is the Udonis Haslem route - keep playing on one year deals at a number that fits the team each year. Klay will have to make a choice this summer between money and staying in Golden State. I think we are at the point where Klay has a roster spot in Golden State as long as he wants, but on the teams financial terms.

I agree that Moody is likely traded as both he and Kumingia are extension eligible this summer. Golden State should look to recycle those rookie scale years, even if he's flipped for a high teens/low 20's 1st or a rookie scale guy on a longer deal. I don't know if the Warriors and Lakers would ever deal, but something like Moody for Jalen Hood-Schifino could make sense. Better win now fit in LA and more rookie control in Golden State.

Return to Trades and Transactions