Chicago & Milwaukee: Vuc + Carter for BroLo

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Chicago & Milwaukee: Vuc + Carter for BroLo 

Post#1 » by drosestruts » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:50 pm

Chicago in: Brook Lopez

Milwaukee in: Nikola Vucevic and Jevon Carter

little 2 for 1 trade that see's Milwaukee swapping centers with Chicago while also adding a player in Carter who's played well with their team and a system in the past.

I think Lopez's age starting showing some this year. Grabbed about 120 less rebounds and didn't have the same defensive impact as in the past.

Vuc gives Milwaukee a bit of a different look at the center spot and someone who will rebound himself at a much higher rate. Vuc does not offer the shot blocking on Lopez but is a big body that contests shots. Think he'd pair well up-front with Giannis. Vuc does have active hands with 137 deflections on the year.

Carter is a familiar face in Milwaukee providing 3-point shooting and pesky defense.

For Chicago - Lopez's expiring contract holds some value as does his ability to space the floor offensively better.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,046

Re: Chicago & Milwaukee: Vuc + Carter for BroLo 

Post#2 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:07 pm

Zero reason for Mil to consider this one. BroLo is better in almost every way than Vuc
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,322

Post#3 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:11 pm

milwaukee cant take mback more salary than they are sending out
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,848

Post#4 » by psman2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:12 pm

Mil would not do this, but more important cannot due to apron rules.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,925

Post#5 » by ChettheJet » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:55 pm

Lateral move for the Bulls. They could almost take Beauchamp to close the money gap while knowing they don't need another guard. Yeah Lopez is hitting 3's at a higher clip but as the Bulls stand NOW, he would need to rebound a lot more with 4 guards on the floor with him.

One other thing is Lopez isn't the post scoring threat that Vucevic is. The biggest thing is the Bulls would really need to have shooters on the floor with Lopez, they currently lack them when Drummond is playing. Caruso hits a wide open three but not a great shooter, Terry no, Craig. Lavine certainly is, Williams can shoot but didn't get many chances, Ball out. The big attraction would be Lopez cutting a year off of both Vucevic and Carter, which doesn't sound good for the Bucks
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,613

Post#6 » by JayMKE » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 pm

Vuc is 33, doesn’t play D, and owed even more money than Brook. Zero reason to consider this for Bucks even if they wanted to move on from Brook. Bucks need to get younger and more athletic, guys who can handle switches. So not Vuc in any universe.
FREE GIANNIS
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,968

Post#7 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:10 pm

drosestruts wrote:Vuc does have active hands with 137 deflections on the year.

This is such an interesting take.

My first thought is "I have no idea if this is good or not".

My second thought is "Let's figure it out".

Vucevic ranks 62nd in total deflections in the NBA, which looks...okay? Right behind Harden and Buddy Hield.

But then you dig deeper--Vucevic ranks 20th in Total Minutes, which puts his Deflections per 36 Minutes at 1.9, which ranks 7th on the Bulls rotation players, which isn't good. That puts him in the [rough] range of 180-210 of players with > 660 minutes [basically the minutes required for low-end role player]. Keep in mind there are about 320 players with that many minutes, so Vuc is below average in this regard, and well below the likes of Domantas Sabonis and Alpren Sengun in such statistic.

So yeah, we probably shouldn't blindly state "Player A has a lot of [cumulative statistic]" without providing context around the statistic.

But hey, I bet you could sell a used car with that angle shooting.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,685

Post#8 » by penbeast0 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:21 pm

Colbinii wrote:

Vucevic ranks 62nd in total deflections in the NBA, which looks...okay? Right behind Harden and Buddy Hield.

But then you dig deeper--Vucevic ranks 20th in Total Minutes, which puts his Deflections per 36 Minutes at 1.9, which ranks 7th on the Bulls rotation players, which isn't good. That puts him in the [rough] range of 180-210 of players with > 660 minutes [basically the minutes required for low-end role player]. Keep in mind there are about 320 players with that many minutes, so Vuc is below average in this regard, and well below the likes of Domantas Sabonis and Alpren Sengun in such statistic.

So yeah, we probably shouldn't blindly state "Player A has a lot of [cumulative statistic]" without providing context around the statistic.

On the other hand, centers traditionally have lower steals/deflection rates so you might want to compare him to other centers rather than to Alex Caruso. AS you said, Sabonis and Sengun are highter (and neither have a good defensive rep as a center); how about other centers?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,968

Post#9 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

On the other hand, centers traditionally have lower steals/deflection rates so you might want to compare him to other centers rather than to Alex Caruso. AS you said, Sabonis and Sengun are highter (and neither have a good defensive rep as a center); how about other centers?

The cream of the crop includes Wemby, Olynyk, Drummond, Nance Jr, Jokic, JJJ all > 3 Deflections per 36 minutes. He ranks 30th with "Centers" over 660 Minutes, but I don't actually see the value in deflections at face value. Myles Turner, Naz Reid, DeAndre Ayton and Vucevic are all right next to each other.

Seems like OP shouldn't have included # of Deflections since it doesn't actual have importance in any way.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
penbeast0
And1: 8,685

Post#10 » by penbeast0 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:22 pm

30th out of how many? And yes, I noticed and mentioned that it doesn't seem highly correlated with defensive rep.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Trades and Transactions