CHA/GSW - go big AND go home

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,544

CHA/GSW - go big AND go home 

Post#1 » by HornetJail » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:03 pm

Charlotte trades:
2024 CHA 1st (currently #3 or #4), 2027 CHA 1st, 2027 MIA 1st, 2027 DAL 1st, 2029 CHA 1st (top 7 prot till 2031, otherwise 2nd)
Grant Williams, Vasilije Micic, Nick Smith Jr, and a lot of 1-year salary fillers that either get cut or flipped (Martin, Richards, Seth, Poku, Bertans, and McGowens)

Golden State trades:
Steph Curry
Draymond Green

--

The Hornets try to make something happen with a Charlotte legend and their young core. With new owners, new management, new coaches, and a bunch of young players hoping to turn over a new leaf, why not? Just hope Steph is able to play at a high level for the next 2-3 years, and it's worth it.

The Hornets ride a top 6 of LaMelo, Steph, Miller, Draymond, Bridges, Mark Williams (I have no idea who comes off the bench), with the only other players under contract being Tre Mann, JT Thor, and pick #42. Charlotte would have the full MLE to find a backup big man (Valanciunas?), and minimums to fill out the bench with shooters. Can this team win?

The Warriors blow everything up, trading a 36yo Steph and a 34yo Draymond for 5 1sts (one of them a top pick in this draft), an enormous amount of cap relief both short and long term ($18M immediate salary, significantly more if some of those fillers are traded, or cut/stretched), and some appealing role players in Micic and Grant Williams. This is followed up by cutting CP3, trading Wiggins, Looney, or Payton if any of them can fetch neutral to positive value, and tanking for Flagg.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Re: CHA/GSW - go big AND go home 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:04 pm

I'll add this, before anyone else does, I absolutely do not expect Steph to leave GSW this summer... but if he does request out, this is one avenue.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,205

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:08 pm

Does Steph still want to play with Green?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,775

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:12 pm

I understand the theory here, but this is an insulting offer from the Warriors' perspective. The third pick in a terrible draft, a bunch of mid future picks, and guys Charlotte doesn't want anymore for the best player in franchise history AND another cornerstone of the dynasty.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,322

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:17 pm

i think a deal will be based on lamelo + 2024 1st and go from there if charlotte wants to land curry
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,964

Post#6 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:18 pm

I don't think the Warriors will ever trade Curry when he is in a prime state. Maybe when he becomes what CP3 currently is.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,771

Post#7 » by eminence » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:22 pm

If Steph asks to go to Charlotte then the Hornets have enough picks to make an offer that the Warriors can feasibly accept, but it's completely dependent on him asking to be traded there.
I bought a boat.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#8 » by Wolveswin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:09 pm

eminence wrote:If Steph asks to go to Charlotte then the Hornets have enough picks to make an offer that the Warriors can feasibly accept, but it's completely dependent on him asking to be traded there.

This. And I don’t think the picks in OP are right ones.

2024 Hornets 1st (#3 or #4 now)
2025 Hornets 1st (15-30 Protected)
2026 Hornets Swap
2027 Mavs and Heat 1sts (best 3x of own GSW, Hornets, Mavs, Heat - worst to Hornets)
2028 Hornets 1st (comes with option language kind of like Pels have/had on 24/25 Lakers 1st)

Question becomes is one more Hornets 1st needed?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#9 » by Coxy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 pm

gswhoops wrote:I understand the theory here, but this is an insulting offer from the Warriors' perspective. The third pick in a terrible draft, a bunch of mid future picks, and guys Charlotte doesn't want anymore for the best player in franchise history AND another cornerstone of the dynasty.

Yeah bingo.

Not very enticing.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,749

Post#10 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:01 pm

Curry to Charlotte may seem unrealistic to outsiders. Keep in mind Curry was quoted saying a while back Charlotte is the only other team he would consider playing for.

I think a deal can be done because we simply have a bunch of picks we can offer GSW for a rebuild.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,244

Post#11 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:07 pm

Curry is 35. I think the offer is fair, Draymond not needed if GSW wants to keep him.

I would consider a straight swap of LaMelo for Curry, but because of the 13 year age difference, no picks should be added

I do think Charlotte is going to go all in on some player this offseason, they are sick of losing and have new owners
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,515

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:09 pm

I think the unwanted salary referenced is pretty minor considering the salary going out.

I don’t think GS should trade Curry nor will they.

But I do think think would be one of the better returns if they do make him available and he gives a reasonable list of teams, and Charlotte is on the list… I want to say OKC tops it, but the bigger markets really would have no way of matching this value.

It’s hard to call the 2027 and 2029 firsts mid. No idea what Dallas or Miami will look like by then. Curry will likely have declined and Charlotte might be back in the lottery if Miller doesn’t develop as his fans hope he will..

I think Charlotte’s offer could include Miller if one of the two is needed.. Including Ball does add a bit of closure for the 2020 NBA draft.. But Miller seems to make more sense paired with Kuminga starting a rebuild.. And Ball sticks with Curry/Bridges/Green/Williams to try and win a championship in 24 months..
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#13 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 pm

Draymond is also a mentor for Bridges they both from Detroit.

Curry/Miller/Miles/Draymond/Mark is probably a contender in the weaker East.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,032

Post#14 » by Trey24 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 pm

If I was the Hornets, would only trade for Curry if I get to keep Lamelo, Miller, M. Williams.

They have enough assets to do it if Curry wants out, and Curry has been quoted in the last few years as saying the only place he would leave the Warriors for is Charlotte. If he were to get moved Hornets would be on the list if they keep their young 3 studs.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,949

Post#15 » by BelgradeNugget » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
eminence wrote:If Steph asks to go to Charlotte then the Hornets have enough picks to make an offer that the Warriors can feasibly accept, but it's completely dependent on him asking to be traded there.

This. And I don’t think the picks in OP are right ones.

2024 Hornets 1st (#3 or #4 now)
2025 Hornets 1st (15-30 Protected)
2026 Hornets Swap
2027 Mavs and Heat 1sts (best 3x of own GSW, Hornets, Mavs, Heat - worst to Hornets)
2028 Hornets 1st (comes with option language kind of like Pels have/had on 24/25 Lakers 1st)

Question becomes is one more Hornets 1st needed?

Is a little help from Denver enough, like

Denver 2024 1st (#27) +Zake Nnaji+Reggie Jackson to GSW

Charlote 2025 2nd + Vasilije Micic+Nick Richards to Denver?

EDIT: it must be draft day trade (Denver drafts player for GSW) because Denver can't trade 2024 1st, and Reggie must opt in.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,199

Post#16 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 am

This is just awful for GSW. They get a okay pick in a weak draft and a bunch of picks that look like they are going to be mid to late firsts and no prospects. The Warriors owe it to Curry not to do this.

I get their run it's coming to a end but let's not act like Curry can't be an elite player in this league. He's taken injured GSW teams in a stacked west to the playoffs at minimum this us Miller plus picks or Ball plus picks
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#17 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:41 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:This is just awful for GSW. They get a okay pick in a weak draft and a bunch of picks that look like they are going to be mid to late firsts and no prospects. The Warriors owe it to Curry not to do this.

I get their run it's coming to a end but let's not act like Curry can't be an elite player in this league. He's taken injured GSW teams in a stacked west to the playoffs at minimum this us Miller plus picks or Ball plus picks

Curry would only come here if Miller is on the team.

Most likely Ball would be traded if it comes down to it.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,199

Post#18 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:This is just awful for GSW. They get a okay pick in a weak draft and a bunch of picks that look like they are going to be mid to late firsts and no prospects. The Warriors owe it to Curry not to do this.

Well it all depends on how GSW values Ball and his ankles. This clearly would send GSW into a rebuild and Klay is gone and your looking at moving on from. Wiggins which is harder to do then you'd think. I think it would have to be Ball plus Mark Williams plus picks for Curry and Draymond.

Charlotte needs a C after the deal but I just think GSW isn't looking to move Curry unless they get a great offer they can't say no to.

If Toronto wasn't rebuilding I would offer any pick we get in this draft 1-6 plus Quickley plus whatever else not named Barnes for Curry to bring him home to Toronto but we are in the same boat as Charlotte. We have good younger pieces but aren't at the point to contend
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,775

Post#19 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Well it all depends on how GSW values Ball and his ankles. This clearly would send GSW into a rebuild and Klay is gone and your looking at moving on from. Wiggins which is harder to do then you'd think. I think it would have to be Ball plus Mark Williams plus picks for Curry and Draymond.

Charlotte needs a C after the deal but I just think GSW isn't looking to move Curry unless they get a great offer they can't say no to.

If Toronto wasn't rebuilding I would offer any pick we get in this draft 1-6 plus Quickley plus whatever else not named Barnes for Curry to bring him home to Toronto but we are in the same boat as Charlotte. We have good younger pieces but aren't at the point to contend

If Curry is gone we're looking at a rebuild either way. Ball at least gives us someone to rebuild around (and is the kind of passer/playmaker who could unlock other young guys). Ball + 2024 pick as the starting point at least gives us something to sell to fans as the future.

Let Klay walk, trade Dray for whatever he can get and rebuild around LaMelo, Kuminga, Podz, and the Charlotte pick
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#20 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:15 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Curry would only come here if Miller is on the team.

If Curry is gone we're looking at a rebuild either way. Ball at least gives us someone to rebuild around (and is the kind of passer/playmaker who could unlock other young guys). Ball + 2024 pick as the starting point at least gives us something to sell to fans as the future.

Let Klay walk, trade Dray for whatever he can get and rebuild around LaMelo, Kuminga, Podz, and the Charlotte pick

Would love to get Draymond included in this deal. I think those 2 + our young supporting cast Miller/Bridges/Mark could contend in the East right away.

Return to Trades and Transactions