POR-SAC-DET (offseason trade)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 753

POR-SAC-DET (offseason trade) 

Post#1 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:02 pm

Sacramento gets: Jerami Grant
Sacramento sends: Harrison Barnes, Kevin Huerter, 2025 Portland second round pick

Portland gets: Return of 2025 second round pick, $32.6m TPE
Portland sends: Jerami Grant

Detroit gets: Harrison Barnes, Kevin Huerter
Detroit sends: $32.6m TPE

Why for Sacramento: Upgrade their SF from Barnes to Grant.
Why for Portland: Get well under the tax while having a big TPE to play with if something comes up midseason, get a good second round pick.
Why for Detroit: Add two NBA players on not horrible contracts to help the team not be horrible while getting to the cap floor.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,443

Re: POR-SAC-DET (offseason trade) 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:04 pm

I think POR can do better but that’s the right kind of deal.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,580

Post#3 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:12 pm

Probably my favorite variation i've seen of this trade. Really makes sense for all parties.

I think Pistons fans will tell you they hope the target is bigger. Everyone wants a star, they've been trying that route overpaying free agents without results. Think it would help to bring in some decent vets who aren't going to kill the cap and have 2 years left.

Value feels right for Grant. A good 2nd + tons of cap savings. Probably a little too good when factoring in the savings.

Wouldn't be my first option for Sac, but I wouldn't hate it. Keon stole Huerters spot. I dislike the player he has become but if we can get OKC/Denver Grant it would be awesome.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,848

Post#4 » by psman2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:16 pm

Why wouldn't Det just take Grant back here? Barnes is looking washed and Huerter will be coming off an injury. Maybe once all hope in FA is done they would take in this guys, but still don't see why they just don't take Grant in instead.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:19 pm

Portland FO actually values Grant and some team will pay better than this once they swing and miss on bigger fish.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:21 pm

psman2 wrote:Why wouldn't Det just take Grant back here? Barnes is looking washed and Huerter will be coming off an injury. Maybe once all hope in FA is done they would take in this guys, but still don't see why they just don't take Grant in instead.

Barnes and Huerter only have two years left on their deal, Grant has four.
psman2
General Manager

Post#7 » by psman2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:25 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
psman2 wrote:Why wouldn't Det just take Grant back here? Barnes is looking washed and Huerter will be coming off an injury. Maybe once all hope in FA is done they would take in this guys, but still don't see why they just don't take Grant in instead.

So....Det is not going to have any real cap issues for a long while. And if their young players perform well enough to justify big contracts then you can worry about moving the salary around at that point. Just no upside to the Barnes/Huerter package, I rather just roll over the cap space to 2025 with a Bruce Brown type of deal if nothing else materializes.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,769

Post#8 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:26 pm

Pretty good trade. I would hope Pistons try to use their cap space and get a better return than this, but not a bad fallback plan. Certainly better than a LaVine or Tobias overpay.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,170

Post#9 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:31 pm

JRoy wrote:I think POR can do better but that’s the right kind of deal.

We only really need to cut ~10 million in salary so I would rather take back up to 20 million of something here to get a better pick rather than get most of our value back cutting unnecessary salary.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:37 pm

psman2 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

So....Det is not going to have any real cap issues for a long while. And if their young players perform well enough to justify big contracts then you can worry about moving the salary around at that point. Just no upside to the Barnes/Huerter package, I rather just roll over the cap space to 2025 with a Bruce Brown type of deal if nothing else materializes.

We've seen how Grant in Detroit plays out. I don't think thats a serious consideration for the team. The concept of Barnes/Huerter is that they are comfortable being support players. Detroit needs to focus on growing Cade, Ivey, Ausar, Duren and whoever they take in the lotto. The last thing I want is Grant coming back thinking hes going to be taking 15-20 shots a game and leading the team. It's not hard to see a Houston style jump incoming for Detroit with the right moves.

Also not sure how Barnes is looking washed? He had 17-4-3 on 11 shots last night. If you are looking at raw numbers last year to this year then sure, he's been transitioned from our 3rd option down to at best our 5th/6th. He played 82 games and did his typical Barnes thing.

They could roll over the cap and look to next year. Have another wasted year. Or you could make this kind of trade, look to improve like Houston did, still have 30+ million in space to grab another piece. And a year from now Huerter + Barnes are expiring contracts who you can piece with picks/players for a star.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:43 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

We only really need to cut ~10 million in salary so I would rather take back up to 20 million of something here to get a better pick rather than get most of our value back cutting unnecessary salary.

Ehh, the TPE gives some options for later trades to add assets.
psman2
General Manager

Post#12 » by psman2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:44 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
psman2 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

We've seen how Grant in Detroit plays out. I don't think thats a serious consideration for the team. The concept of Barnes/Huerter is that they are comfortable being support players. Detroit needs to focus on growing Cade, Ivey, Ausar, Duren and whoever they take in the lotto. The last thing I want is Grant coming back thinking hes going to be taking 15-20 shots a game and leading the team. It's not hard to see a Houston style jump incoming for Detroit with the right moves.

Also not sure how Barnes is looking washed? He had 17-4-3 on 11 shots last night. If you are looking at raw numbers last year to this year then sure, he's been transitioned from our 3rd option down to at best our 5th/6th. He played 82 games and did his typical Barnes thing.

They could roll over the cap and look to next year. Have another wasted year. Or you could make this kind of trade, look to improve like Houston did, still have 30+ million in space to grab another piece. And a year from now Huerter + Barnes are expiring contracts who you can piece with picks/players for a star.

Barnes had a -7.8 +/- for a winning team this year. Is he really a winning Vet still? I think he is at best a MLE level guy now and would cost Sac assets to move into cap space. He is not a positive impact player anymore.

Overpaying a guy like Brown is a wasted year but trading for your non impactful guys is not? Houston actually signed guys that have a track record of helping on the floor.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,959

Post#13 » by Tim Lehrbach » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

If you can think of any good examples, I might be sold. Could even expand this into a four-teamer.

As-is, I'd rather jettison bench guys and hold out for a better Grant return or keep him.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,170

Post#14 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:08 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

You will pay me Tuesday for my hamburger today?
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#15 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:22 pm

psman2 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Barnes had a -7.8 +/- for a winning team this year. Is he really a winning Vet still? I think he is at best a MLE level guy now and would cost Sac assets to move into cap space. He is not a positive impact player anymore.

Overpaying a guy like Brown is a wasted year but trading for your non impactful guys is not? Houston actually signed guys that have a track record of helping on the floor.

A year ago Dillon Brooks was being scape goated for Memphis struggles. He had an awful performance in the postseason and couldn't buy a bucket. Yes, I do think Barnes can have a positive impact with the right team around him.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,846

Post#16 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:24 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

While this is true in theory, Portland cannot trade its future picks right now because of the one owed to Chicago. So they can't add picks to the TPE and the TPE is there only for a year.

With this in mind I think Portland would rather absorb shorter term salary and a first round pick than clear full salary and acquire a second.

Return to Trades and Transactions