Danny Ainge's challenge: "We are all-in"

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Re: Danny Ainge's challenge: "We are all-in" 

Post#21 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 am

esvl wrote:Giddey

I think this makes a lot of sense. Maybe Kessler for Giddey? Giddey has clearly been better as the primary playmaker and that could put Keyonte in a better position, too.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 186

Post#22 » by WinterSoldier » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 am

This is clearly delusional from Ainge. There are no KG's out there looking to be traded, he could trade for Ingram but then the Jazz would just be a worse version of the Pelicans. We have picks but the price teams are asking for players is as inflated as the rest of the economy.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,787

Post#23 » by SkyHook » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:26 am

There isn’t another former teammate and current GM to gift Danny another hall of famer this time around. I have no idea which direction the Jazz brass are going to go, but I don’t expect much to be excited about this next season.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
SkyHook
Veteran

Post#24 » by SkyHook » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 am

babyjax13 wrote:

I think this makes a lot of sense. Maybe Kessler for Giddey? Giddey has clearly been better as the primary playmaker and that could put Keyonte in a better position, too.

From Karl Malone to Deshawn Stevenson to Josh Giddey? Personally I’d rather the Jazz lose their reputation for collecting sex offenders, please.

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#25 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:06 am

SkyHook wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

From Karl Malone to Deshawn Stevenson to Josh Giddey? Personally I’d rather the Jazz lose their reputation for collecting sex offenders, please.

Giddey was investigated and not convicted. Obviously he could have done it, and I don't mind that being a reason to not like this.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#26 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 am

Giddey should be the target here and then go for someone that compliments he and Lauri with the remaining assets.
Or I wonder if Milwaukee and Dame have a quick exit if he wants to get to Utah to finish his career.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,522

Post#27 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:46 am

I think Murray is the answer here even though it’s not all in…and I have given up defending keeping both point guards for Atlanta.. But it’s Clarkson and two 2025 firsts. Give Lauri 25 million and that should keep the fans and him happy for two years while you hope an MVP level player becomes available.

I do like the idea of Giddey. But I’d have no idea what that trade looks like. Presti likely asking for 2027 or 2029 firsts, Ainge trying to push the 2025 firsts..

I do think there’s a Sexton+Clarkson+lot of rebuilding assets for Trae deal possible where Atlanta gives Jalen a chance at being a star next year. Utah locks up Lauri and then adds as many 3/d guys as possible around the two stars.. Know some think Atlanta would only deal with SAS, but I think they would do something like that. It’s only 3 drafts to last and they can easily still compete for the play-in those 3 years..
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 759

Post#28 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:57 pm

A Murray to the Jazz trade probably looks something like

Walker Kessler
Jordan Clarkson
A pick or two

For Murray

But I don't know if either side would be willing to do this.

Murray is just way too small to play SG so this kind of permanently puts Keyonte George (who the Jazz adore) on the bench.

Like, we saw the Hawks' defense get a lot better when Murray stopped playing SG (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's hard to plan for Murray to just be a wildly undersized SG again.

George-Sexton-Murray is just way too small to ever win a playoff series.

Murray's height+length is fine but he's like... 180 pounds? That's tiny.
SkyHook
Veteran

Post#29 » by SkyHook » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
SkyHook wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I think this makes a lot of sense. Maybe Kessler for Giddey? Giddey has clearly been better as the primary playmaker and that could put Keyonte in a better position, too.

Giddey was investigated and not convicted. Obviously he could have done it, and I don't mind that being a reason to not like this.

Karl wasn’t convicted either, but it still gets a lot of traction on here. One of my first posts on RealGM (2002) was to vent about taking my young son to support a team that embraced statutory rapists. The Stevenson story had just broken and we had recently learned the name Demetress Bell.

I understand that it’s a non-issue for some, but I’d rather steer clear.

meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,961

Post#30 » by meekrab » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 pm

I don't see it, the west is already a gauntlet of titans and next year you'll have Memphis and San Antonio competing for the playoffs in addition to all the other teams that are already much better than the Jazz.

Utah should sell Lauri and Collin to the highest bidders, see if you can rehabilitate John Collins, and fight Portland to win the loss column and have the best odds to draft what's his name everybody thinks is gonna be good.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,522

Post#31 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:56 pm

meekrab wrote: what's his name everybody thinks is gonna be good.

Bailey, Flagg, Maluach, Hugo… Harper, VJ..

I think it’s the right year to bottom out.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#32 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

SkyHook wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
SkyHook wrote:

Karl wasn’t convicted either, but it still gets a lot of traction on here. One of my first posts on RealGM (2002) was to vent about taking my young son to support a team that embraced statutory rapists. The Stevenson story had just broken and we had recently learned the name Demetress Bell.

Yah but we know for sure Karl did it. There was lots of conflicting info with Giddey. I'll stop there, I respect not being on board I just don't think they are the same situation *at the moment.*

JColl
SkyHook
Veteran

Post#33 » by SkyHook » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
SkyHook wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Giddey was investigated and not convicted. Obviously he could have done it, and I don't mind that being a reason to not like this.

Yah but we know for sure Karl did it. There was lots of conflicting info with Giddey. I'll stop there, I respect not being on board I just don't think they are the same situation *at the moment.*

Fair enough.

Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#34 » by Hugi Mancura » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:52 pm

I think this is said only to give false hope for fans, so fans keep on buying tickets and merchants. If they would say the truth, which is we will tank for Flagg, fans would start watching NHL next year.

Even if he means it finding star players is not an easy task. Teams don't want to trade them. Specially if your goal is to win it all in 3-5 years. Trae Young is not that guy, neither is Murray or Ingram. So pretty much only hope to start building a winning team is the situation where Bucks would crumble this summer.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#35 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm

I don' think it is deceitful, I think it is Ainge saying: we want to win, and when it makes sense to go all in, we will.

I think the best case scenario the following players are available: Karl Anthony Towns, Trae Young, Mikal Bridges. In reality, I don't think any of them will be available, but there is a realistic scenario that we are.

I've done this exercise before assuming that Murray and Bridges would be the best players available, but the question for Ainge and company would be something like ... how good is the following trio? Because you realistically have the assets to make good bids for multiple players:

Karl Anthony Towns
Lauri Markkenen
Trae Young

Can you put a good team around them?

Or this trio?

Lauri Markkenen
Mikal Bridges
Trae Young

JColl
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#36 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I don' think it is deceitful, I think it is Ainge saying: we want to win, and when it makes sense to go all in, we will.

I think the best case scenario the following players are available: Karl Anthony Towns, Trae Young, Mikal Bridges. In reality, I don't think any of them will be available, but there is a realistic scenario that we are.

I've done this exercise before assuming that Murray and Bridges would be the best players available, but the question for Ainge and company would be something like ... how good is the following trio? Because you realistically have the assets to make good bids for multiple players:

Karl Anthony Towns
Lauri Markkenen
Trae Young

Or this trio?

Lauri Markkenen
Mikal Bridges
Trae Young

You can put a good team around them. You need the other players to be in the top 30-40. I don't think that's going to happen. The margin of error with good not great players is really low, you're basically attempting to build the current version of the knicks which are good maybe even great but not quite true title contenders (in my view).
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#37 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 pm

bkohler wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I don' think it is deceitful, I think it is Ainge saying: we want to win, and when it makes sense to go all in, we will.

Karl Anthony Towns
Lauri Markkenen
Trae Young

Or this trio?

Lauri Markkenen
Mikal Bridges
Trae Young

You can put a good team around them. You need the other players to be in the top 30-40. I don't think that's going to happen. The margin of error with good not great players is really low, you're basically attempting to build the current version of the knicks which are good maybe even great but not quite true title contenders (in my view).

I agree. I think the more you do this kind of exercise the more the direction of the team becomes clear. Renegotiate and extend Lauri, bottom out for the 2025 draft, trade Lauri for picks/young players in the 2025 offseason.

JColl
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#38 » by bkohler » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I agree. I think the more you do this kind of exercise the more the direction of the team becomes clear. Renegotiate and extend Lauri, bottom out for the 2025 draft, trade Lauri for picks/young players in the 2025 offseason.

Yeah, people say you can't be that bad with Lauri on the team, but I submit the last 30-odd games as evidence against that. It also wouldn't surprise me to see a team in the semi-panic mode because of their aging core or shortening title window (Warriors? Heat? Lakers?) be willing to trade for Lauri without the extension at some point this summer.

To me, the 'All In' statement is that they're all in on winning a title, not on building an in 2025 to compete or even a team around Lauri. I think you'll see Ainge make trades to grab players where he sees the chance to gain value no matter the fit, age or position.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,720

Post#39 » by Ell Curry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't believe him.

Given the strength of the West, the strength of the 2025 draft, and the relative lack of tanking teams (Portland, Washington and Detroit are the only ones), the smart move for Utah is to tank hard one more season. Ainge is smart enough and ruthless enough to do so.

I expect them to sell this offseason, not buy. I don't know if that means Markkanen will be moved, but everyone else born before 2001 possibly could be moved.

Can this be a move to con Markkanen? Get Markkanen signed, one more tough year and then all in next summer after grabbing a quality 2025 draft guy?
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,720

Post#40 » by Ell Curry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

I do like the idea of Giddey. But I’d have no idea what that trade looks like. Presti likely asking for 2027 or 2029 firsts, Ainge trying to push the 2025 firsts..

I wonder if OKC would just ask for Hendricks. Not great rebounding numbers, but a defensive 4 who can shoot the 3 makes sense.

SGA-Dort-Jdub-Hendricks-Chet
Wallace-Joe-Dieng-other Jwill-Center

and I guess OKC keeps Joe or signs an SG or drafts one, and the center is gotten at #12 or they move up to get Clingan or trade that pick or another, or just signs Hartenstein or maybe Claxton.
Where's the D?

Return to Trades and Transactions