Danny Ainge's challenge: "We are all-in"

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,309

Danny Ainge's challenge: "We are all-in" 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:05 pm

For those that have not seen, Danny Ainge said in his media availability that:

"Our objective ... is to find a player or two and we're ready to roll. Ready to go Big Game Hunting. It hasn't happened in the last two years, but if we start all over then we are three years, possibly four years, from being anywhere. We feel like we're closer than that and we have a chance. I mean, we're going all in this summer to figure out what we can do to get better."

This says to me that our goal is not to rebuild, but to cash in the assets we have for star players (preferably locked in). So, assume every player and every asset is available - including Lauri (though I think the idea is that we can keep him as part of a two or three player core) - what is the best team we can assemble?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,934

Re: Danny Ainge's challenge: "We are all-in" 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:16 pm

Jerry Jones said the Cowboys were All In and they let a bunch of talented players go and have signed a backup linebacker and a running back unlikely to make the team. Sometimes guys just say stuff hoping their fans believe it at the time.

I'm sure he will be active because despite all the lame Danny Ainge jokes, he's always been one of the most active basketball execs, but I don't know that this means the Jazz are making some kind of Boston summer of 2007 push here either.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 748

Post#3 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:17 pm

Yeah... I don't know if this will work at all?

We tried to trade for Porzingis and Porzingis said "I won't sign an extension here."
... So then we traded for John Collins and that went really badly.

And then we tried to trade for Jrue and Jrue said "I won't sign an extension here."
So then we tried (I think?) to trade for Dejounte Murray, but the Hawks wanted too many picks so instead they decided to tank.

The requirements Ainge and Zanik set out for their trade targets

1. The player is not a young guy
2. The player is not in the twilight of their career
3. The player is not overpaid
4. The player is willing to extend in Utah or has a 3+ year contract
5. Lauri is not part of the package

Combine these five requirements with the Ainge being unwilling to overpay for any target and I don't see any possible option.

Trae and Brandon Ingram's trade value is just too low for them to move right now.

Dejounte Murray, KAT, Randle, and Jarrett Allen are the only guys they could get who anyone could call a star and KAT, Randle, and Jarrett Allen are AWFUL fits.

If the Jazz add Murray, they're still not a playoff team without a lot of improvement from Sexton or Kessler.

....... Maybe Darius Garland? But the Cavs only move him if they extend Mitchell and I don't see that happening.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,322

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:17 pm

Lamelo + Murray?
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Lamelo + Murray?

The Hornets would only be willing to trade LaMelo if LaMelo's ankles and attitude are so bad that they thought he would never be good.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:21 pm

The press conference came off as a "we're going to try all through June to get another star next to Markkanen and Sexton and if we fail, we're detonating this team if we get a good offer for Markkanen."
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#7 » by AingesBurner » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:33 pm

I would assume we make a move draft night. Combine our picks to move up or we have some lotto luck.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,365

Post#8 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:41 pm

I don't believe him.

Given the strength of the West, the strength of the 2025 draft, and the relative lack of tanking teams (Portland, Washington and Detroit are the only ones), the smart move for Utah is to tank hard one more season. Ainge is smart enough and ruthless enough to do so.

I expect them to sell this offseason, not buy. I don't know if that means Markkanen will be moved, but everyone else born before 2001 possibly could be moved.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#9 » by schaffy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 am

If that's his exact quote above he's left himself a ton of wiggle room to go in either direction - try to win more now or later. And quite frankly I'm not sure they'll be able to find someone to meet there criteria to win more now.

All in on trying to figure out how to get better could easily be defended by tearing it down more and saying they couldn't find a deal they like to improve now but this direction allows them to improve longterm and not staying stagnant.

It sure seems he said just enough to give fans hope of more winning without committing to anything. Solid press conference performance.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,110

Post#10 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:14 am

I think he could say this every year and have it mean as much.

Jazz will look to improve opportunistically. If a star player comes along at a price point we like, we will jump on it. Otherwise we won't go chasing a star just to have a star.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:22 am

In context the quote was really, "we are always trying to contend, so we will call to see if we can get one or two stars with Lauri, but if we can't we will continue collecting assets, likely without tearing it down yet because if you have the chance to trade for a star you already need a supporting cast to go with him." But, we are all in is a fun scenario, IMO.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think he could say this every year and have it mean as much.

Jazz will look to improve opportunistically. If a star player comes along at a price point we like, we will jump on it. Otherwise we won't go chasing a star just to have a star.

Okay, so here's the thing.

We blew up the Mitchell-Gobert Jazz with six picks available to trade because Mitchell (who had three years left on his contract before his PO) didn't like playing on the team.

And now everyone on the team is pretty clearly unhappy right now.

And will continue to be extremely unhappy if we don't compete for the playoffs.

And we'll only compete if we add a star.

So like... What do we do with the other players who hate Ainge's "Let me wait until I can rip someone off really bad before I make a trade" strategy.

If we were willing to trade Donovan Mitchell with three years on his contract instead of trying to add wings.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#13 » by NYG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 am

The biggest issue is you only get stars for picks for 2 reasons...

1. The team is rebuilding and would prefer assets
2. The player requested a trade

If it's reason #2, they will have a list and Utah will not be on the list.

If it's reason 1, you're looking at players on the Hornets, Bulls, Trail Blazers, Raptors or Wizards and I don't see any difference-makers there.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 am

NYG wrote:The biggest issue is you only get stars for picks for 2 reasons...

1. The team is rebuilding and would prefer assets
2. The player requested a trade

If it's reason #2, they will have a list and Utah will not be on the list.

If it's reason 1, you're looking at players on the Hornets, Bulls, Trail Blazers, Raptors or Wizards and I don't see any difference-makers there.

One thing that really hurts the Jazz here is that most contending teams are really over leveraged and owe so many picks that they can't decide to blow it up and tank.

Like, the Heat and Hawks can't just detonate, they owe too many unprotected picks. The Nets can't tear it down, the Suns can't blow it up, the Lakers, the Bucks, the Cavs, the Timberwolves, the Mavs, the Clippers... Teams have just traded so many unprotected firsts at this point that trading stars for picks is unthinkable as those teams would be giving up top 8 picks and maybe top 3 picks.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#15 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 am

Mmmmm k Ainge.

Then, Wolves will trade you Towns + Filler for:

ALL Wolves 1sts back (plus a 27 for 8 swap)
Hendricks (who could use some years being mentored)
George (who could use some years being mentored)
Choose your salary filler (just not Collins, Clarkson maybe?)

Jazz all in on Towns, Markkanen, Sexton and trading for one more disgruntled star.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,782

Post#16 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 am

Wolveswin wrote:Mmmmm k Ainge.

Jazz all in on Towns, Markkanen, Sexton and trading for one more disgruntled star.

That would suggest KAT is a sizably better player than Gobert…. not totally superfluous to him
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,782

Post#17 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 am

I thought that Lauri should’ve been moved years ago and was on the Jazz shouldn’t be tradmilling at the start, but not Ainge has kind of picked a direction. Might be egg on his face to say the last two years ~10th picks were all for nought and start rebuilding now

One thing he has for him is as competitive as the west is it is aging and there currently are no great teams to deal with
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#18 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 am

BoogieTime wrote:I thought that Lauri should’ve been moved years ago and was on the Jazz shouldn’t be tradmilling at the start, but not Ainge has kind of picked a direction. Might be egg on his face to say the last two years ~10th picks were all for nought and start rebuilding now

One thing he has for him is as competitive as the west is it is aging and there currently are no great teams to deal with

Years ago? :wink:

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#19 » by babyjax13 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 am

Wolveswin wrote:Mmmmm k Ainge.

I wouldn't trade that much for Jesus. Collins and the picks back would be my offer. Cap relief, assets to move for a different star. Or Hendricks and George and one pick.

JColl
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 381

Post#20 » by esvl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 am

Giddey

Return to Trades and Transactions