Instant Reaction: What Do The Hawks Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,354

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Hawks Do This Off-Season? 

Post#21 » by Bornstellar » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:24 pm

Send Trae to SA to regain control of their draft, sell Murray to the highest bidder, and rebuild around Johnson. If they can get some firsts out of LAL for Murray and get their own picks back, they suddenly have the assets to make more moves to put players around Johnson, or be patient and build through the draft. But at least they'd have options

Hawks have been treading water basically their entire existence. They need to initiate a full rebuild rather than just worrying about making the play in or first round of the playoffs. They're the most treadmilly team ever
Astaluego
Freshman
And1: 23

Post#22 » by Astaluego » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:29 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:The talent level is pretty close to being as competitive as anyone for Atlanta. Unfortunately the fits are just ugly. Ideally Murray is traded for a BI type and Capela is moved for a floor spacing big. Hunter also likely needs a change of scenery in favor of more of a dog defensively like Thybulle or Caruso.

Yes, that BI change for Murray makes a lot of sense..

. What Capella+Griffin+FRP (Kings) would look like for Smart+Aldama...

Trae/Smart/Hunter/JJ/OO
Bufkin/Bogs/Draft/Bey?Aldama
Old Mike Lorenzo
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,504

Post#23 » by dms269 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:30 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
dms269 wrote:I doubt the Hawks blow it all up. Ressler cares about money and blowing it all up would kill the revenue the team generates. He much prefers ti be a middling play-in team and stay under the luxury tax.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

I'm not actually sure they'd be any worse if they did something like Trae to Houston for Van Vleet, Eason and multiple firsts.

Dejounte-VanVleet-JalenJohnson-Eason-Okongwu
Bufkin-#11-Bogdanovic-Bey-Capela

and some new firsts to work with, probably even the very promising Brooklyn 2026 pick or Brooklyn 2027 swap.

It's a low ceiling club, but better defensively, athletic frontcourt, good depth and you can hope to turn Capela's expiring and the picks into something. That's probably a 40 win ballclub in the East assuming Jalen keeps improving.

There would need to be SUBSTANTIAL picks coming back to Atlanta. If Atlanta moves Trae, I don't think it will be for another PG and another PF who would be playing the same positions as their two "best" players.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 981

Post#24 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:The talent level is pretty close to being as competitive as anyone for Atlanta. Unfortunately the fits are just ugly. Ideally Murray is traded for a BI type and Capela is moved for a floor spacing big. Hunter also likely needs a change of scenery in favor of more of a dog defensively like Thybulle or Caruso.

This was the direction I was thinking.

Just play big around Trae. BI, Thybulle, JJ, and Nurkic(versatility). WCJ and Isaac from Orlando along with OO to mix and match with. Convert Vit. Bogi gives you a shooter off the bench. Kobe, #10, Gueye round out the bench.

Ultimately, we don't have to completely rebuild, but we need to do an aggressive re-tool. Focus on size, defense, and versatility.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,515

Post#25 » by Wolveswin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 am

Bornstellar wrote:Send Trae to SA to regain control of their draft, sell Murray to the highest bidder, and rebuild around Johnson. If they can get some firsts out of LAL for Murray and get their own picks back, they suddenly have the assets to make more moves to put players around Johnson, or be patient and build through the draft. But at least they'd have options

Hawks have been treading water basically their entire existence. They need to initiate a full rebuild rather than just worrying about making the play in or first round of the playoffs. They're the most treadmilly team ever

Hybrid of that deal.

To Spurs: Trae + Hunter
From Spurs: Vassell + Jones + at least all Hawks picks back.

To Pels: Murray + Capela
From Pels: Murphy + McCollum

Hawks build around Jalen | Murphy | Vassell | Okongwu.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,662

Post#26 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:

Just play big around Trae. BI, Thybulle, JJ, and Nurkic(versatility). WCJ and Isaac from Orlando along with OO to mix and match with. Convert Vit. Bogi gives you a shooter off the bench. Kobe, #10, Gueye round out the bench.

Ultimately, we don't have to completely rebuild, but we need to do an aggressive re-tool. Focus on size, defense, and versatility.

How are you getting all of those guys…I love DJM to ORL, but I don’t see what gets you BI at the same time.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,567

Post#27 » by Bentley1225 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 pm

Young and BB are the two pieces that should be heavily shopped. They need to re-tool around Murray/Hunter/Capella by landing a defensive centric starting 2 guard and a 3D wing while moving Hunter to the 4.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,947

Post#28 » by jayu70 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:Young and BB are the two pieces that should be heavily shopped. They need to re-tool around Murray/Hunter/Capella by landing a defensive centric starting 2 guard and a 3D wing while moving Hunter to the 4.

Any retool that has Hunter and Capela as main pieces isn't a retool. The biggest two things though:
1. Hunter is just not effective as a full time 4. He just doesn't play big enough at the position. Ironically, Hunter had his best stretch of games off the bench this season.
2. Jalen Johnson is the Hawks PF - how do you not include him as part of your starting lineup retool?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,720

Post#29 » by Ell Curry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 pm

dms269 wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:
dms269 wrote:I doubt the Hawks blow it all up. Ressler cares about money and blowing it all up would kill the revenue the team generates. He much prefers ti be a middling play-in team and stay under the luxury tax.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

I'm not actually sure they'd be any worse if they did something like Trae to Houston for Van Vleet, Eason and multiple firsts.

Dejounte-VanVleet-JalenJohnson-Eason-Okongwu
Bufkin-#11-Bogdanovic-Bey-Capela

and some new firsts to work with, probably even the very promising Brooklyn 2026 pick or Brooklyn 2027 swap.

It's a low ceiling club, but better defensively, athletic frontcourt, good depth and you can hope to turn Capela's expiring and the picks into something. That's probably a 40 win ballclub in the East assuming Jalen keeps improving.

There would need to be SUBSTANTIAL picks coming back to Atlanta. If Atlanta moves Trae, I don't think it will be for another PG and another PF who would be playing the same positions as their two "best" players.

Yeah, I don't like that deal asset-wise, I just meant I don't think the team loses more games. I think for it to be serious you'd have to see Bridges traded somewhere as a rebuilding move (or maybe Claxton leaving) and the 2026 Brooklyn pick looking like one of the top 3-4 picks out there.

I also forget De'Andre Hunter existed, but that's actually his fault and not mine.
Where's the D?
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 981

Post#30 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:14 am

Skybox wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:

How are you getting all of those guys…I love DJM to ORL, but I don’t see what gets you BI at the same time.

I was spit balling names. We don't have to get all of those guys. Would simply help to add these types of guys.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,219

Post#31 » by Slim Charless » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:42 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:Send Trae to SA to regain control of their draft, sell Murray to the highest bidder, and rebuild around Johnson. If they can get some firsts out of LAL for Murray and get their own picks back, they suddenly have the assets to make more moves to put players around Johnson, or be patient and build through the draft. But at least they'd have options

Hybrid of that deal.

Hybrid of both your deals:

Zion+CJ-Pels

Trae+Hunter-Hawks

Both Trae and Zion need a new start. Both are true stars in the league who just might need a new city. Both teams are veteran laden and set-up to fill the needs of the other star too.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Wolveswin » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:28 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Hybrid of that deal.

Hybrid of both your deals:

Zion+CJ-Pels

Trae+Hunter-Hawks

Both Trae and Zion need a new start. Both are true stars in the league who just might need a new city. Both teams are veteran laden and set-up to fill the needs of the other star too.

Towns for Zion. Tabled many times, isn’t time?

Gobert
Zion
McDaniels
Edwards
Conley

Towns
Herb
Ingram
Murphy
McCollum

With Pels still looking to move Ingram if you ask me. And no, Ingram for Towns doesn’t work - Wolves can’t risk expiring Ingram.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,323

Post#33 » by babyjax13 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:39 am

I wonder if we could see Atlanta aggregate some of their bad money for a larger, worse contract but a better player. e.g.,

DeAndre Hunter + Onyeke Okongwu for Jerami Grant + filler
DeAndre Hunter + Bogdan Bogdanovic for Zach LaVine
DeAndre Hunter + Bogdan Boganovic for Fred Vanvleet
etc. (a lot would depend on other moves as LaVine makes no sense with Murray and FVV makes no sense with either Murray/Young)

If they went for a re-tool around Murray as the wiretap seems to be suggesting, LaVine could make a lot of sense. Young to New Orleans could also be fun and help them reshape the roster. e.g.,

Trade 1:
Hunter + Bogdanovic for LaVine

Trade 2:
Young for Ingram + Jones + 2025 LAL 1st

Murray/LaVine/Ingram/Jones/Okongwu

I think that is a better team than they have now, but it 100 percent is not contending for anything but avoiding the play-in.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,662

Post#34 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:33 am

If ATL wants to free up cap, ORL could absorb Murray strictly for 3 picks, or Bogdonavic for one pick

Salary right off the cap.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Wolveswin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:40 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Trade 1:
Hunter + Bogdanovic for LaVine

Trade 2:
Young for Ingram + Jones + 2025 LAL 1st

Murray/LaVine/Ingram/Jones/Okongwu

I think that is a better team than they have now, but it 100 percent is not contending for anything but avoiding the play-in.

Since you don’t have Jalen Johnson in starting lineup, I will offer you Towns for Jalen Johnson + Okongwu + Picks

Murray | LaVine | Ingram | Jones | Towns
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 514

Post#36 » by raleigh » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:39 pm

My expectation is that the Spurs will not be interested in extending the Hawks a lifeline. So, Trae will remain a Hawk for at least one more year because it makes no sense to tank when you have no control over your most immediate draft pick.

They'll look to move DJ for a better fit instead. I have suggested Cam Johnson in the past.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,037

Post#37 » by mg » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:41 pm

Personally I would shop Trae for the biggest haul of picks/prospects they can get.

Unfortunately I believe their ownership would be fine being a mid tier playoff team while selling lots of Trae jerseys.

If Trae is still on the roster next year they need to make some huge changes on the roster beginning with the center position. Capela is on his last legs and Okongwu, although a very nice young player, is not a fit to be playing the 5 next to Trae. They are a team that could potentially take the chance on someone like Edey in the draft.

In general they need more length/defense especially at the wings if they are going to keep Trae. Unfortunately every team in the league needs the same thing. Obviously if they are keeping Trae they will need to deal Dejounte for the best package even if it's pennies on the dollar compared to what they traded for him. Dejounte seems to be more of a "winning" player even if he's not as dynamic offensively.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,475

Post#38 » by Chinook » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:27 pm

raleigh wrote:My expectation is that the Spurs will not be interested in extending the Hawks a lifeline. So, Trae will remain a Hawk for at least one more year because it makes no sense to tank when you have no control over your most immediate draft pick.

They'll look to move DJ for a better fit instead. I have suggested Cam Johnson in the past.

Depending on how much the Hawks want to rebuild, the Spurs might be willing to facilitate a trade that give Atlanta some capital back in exchange for some win-now players from other teams. I brought up Middleton a while ago, but that works for other assets from other teams too. The Spurs aren't at the point where they should be going all in, but they could use some more serious pieces to move their timeline forward a scooch or two(och). The Spurs might benefit more from the Hawks picks "looking" like they're going to be valuable then them actually waiting to realize that value.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,521

Post#39 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:41 pm

For fun..

Jalen Green, Caruso, 9th, to Atlanta
Murray to Houston
Jeff Green and the Sac first to Chicago

Throw in seconds to your favorite team?

Atlanta puts Trae/Caruso together, but also brings in another Jalen and another top 10 pick. Set themselves up to maybe make playoffs, maybe trade Trae at the 2025 draft depending on Jalen/Jalen development?

Or kind of similar

Murray to Orlando
Caruso, Black, 16…?

Just splitting a piece of Murray’s return on Caruso and hoping he’s the right pairing for Trae ball (I think he is)
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#40 » by A BETTER DJ » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:43 pm

Murray to the Magic will yield them some picks and a player or two.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!

Return to Trades and Transactions