Instant Reaction: What Do The Hawks Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,613

Instant Reaction: What Do The Hawks Do This Off-Season? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 am

What do the Hawks do this off-season?

Do they rebuild and trade both Trae and Dejounte? Do they trade Dejounte for a better fitting veteran around Trae? Do they simply retool and keep Murray/Trae?
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Hawks Do This Off-Season? 

Post#2 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 am

I would gut that thing like a pig this off season.
Trade:
Trae, DJM, Capela, Bogdanovic, Hunter.
Don't worry about the picks you owe, they're gone already, Trae and DJM will get back enough.
I would want a young stud and some picks for Trae. Personally my favourite young player not on the Kings is Jabari Smith Jr. He wouldn't be easy to attain, but I would be doing anything and everything to get him. The defensive side of the ball would be great and might even convince you to keep DJM, but I'm thinking you're going to need assets from his trade and Trae's to get Smith Jr.

Salary coming back from trades needs to net veteran PG and back up PF. Or even sign one like Lowry.
Look at someone like Devonte Graham at the Spurs or Harrison Barnes who the Kings are definitely going to move in the off season.

Okongwu/?/Fernando
Smith Jr//Gueye
Johnson/Bey
Griffin/Bufkin
Vet/Vet
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,499

Post#3 » by dms269 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 am

I doubt the Hawks blow it all up. Ressler cares about money and blowing it all up would kill the revenue the team generates. He much prefers ti be a middling play-in team and stay under the luxury tax.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 752

Post#4 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:42 am

Trae's trade value is way too depressed right now for him to be traded in the offseason. I could see them paying the Pistons to take Clint Capela as their main offseason move.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,515

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 pm

I think I’d do something like..

Murray to Utah
Grant, Thybulle to Atlanta
Collins, Griffin, 2 firsts from Utah to Portland

Takes care of Portland’s tax problem.
Gives Utah a “3rd best player” and they can hope an MVP level player shakes free in next 2 years..
Atlanta just plays Trae ball, but Jalen/Grant should work well.

Then trade Hunter into Detroit’s cap space and use MLE on a guard.

Or maybe Utah does a Hunter/Clarkson swap as part of that trade? Hunter is a decent fit with that roster.

I wouldn’t be afraid to trade Trae though. The pick debt is only 3 years and even without Trae, Murray/Jalen and some of the other guys and whatever you get back can fight for the play-in..
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,598

Post#6 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:20 pm

I think they really shouldn't stand pat.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 752

Post#7 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:47 pm

The Hawks just aren't going to trade Murray or Trae unless they get a huge amount back and they're not going to get a huge amount back so they're just going to do nothing.

We already saw this at the deadline.

Maybe Trae gets traded at next year's deadline or they trade one of the guys when they've exhausted all possible hope of getting the value they want (like with the John Collins saga)... But I don't see trading Trae or Murray happening this summer.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,372

Post#8 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:00 pm

It’s not an easy question, but they need to do something…bottom 3 defense.
On paper the team looks better than the record indicates. They have good players paid like stars and role players paid like solid starters is part of the issue. I’d try to trade Young for less flashy but more fundamentally solid PG and if you’re lucky might get a pick as well. Need to add some leadership and grit and a defensive big. Need some perimeter D as well. Is that blowing it up or can they move Young and then add a couple guys to get that done?
Sign here
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#9 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:33 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I think I’d do something like..

Murray to Utah

Gives Utah a “3rd best player” and they can hope an MVP level player shakes free in next 2 years..

Or maybe Utah does a Hunter/Clarkson swap as part of that trade? Hunter is a decent fit with that roster.

I wouldn’t be afraid to trade Trae though. The pick debt is only 3 years and even without Trae, Murray/Jalen and some of the other guys and whatever you get back can fight for the play-in..

I dont buy Ainge going for win-now, seems so un-Ainge, but if he did this is a nice deal IMO.

Another one would simply be Grant for Hunter + SAC 2024 FRP followed up by Murray for Ingram + Daniels.

G - Tre Young / VET FA / Kobe Bufkin
G - Dyson Daniels / Bogan Bogdanovic / AJ Griffin
F - Brandon Ingram / Jalen Johnson / AJ Griffin
F - Jerami Grant / Jalen Johnson / Mouhamed Gueye
C - Clint Capella / OO / Bruno Fernando
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,968

Post#10 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm

OxAndFox wrote:I would gut that thing like a pig this off season.
Trade:
Don't worry about the picks you owe, they're gone already, Trae and DJM will get back enough.

I agree in principal with the whole "Sunk Cost Fallacy".

I would want a young stud and some picks for Trae. Personally my favourite young player not on the Kings is Jabari Smith Jr. He wouldn't be easy to attain, but I would be doing anything and everything to get him. The defensive side of the ball would be great and might even convince you to keep DJM, but I'm thinking you're going to need assets from his trade and Trae's to get Smith Jr.

Nah, Jabari Smith Jr isn't going to be a player Houston trades unless they get a Top 10, MVP-ish level player in return. If they aren't getting that level of player for Jabari Smith Jr, then they aren't moving him.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I think I’d do something like..

Murray to Utah

I dont buy Ainge going for win-now, seems so un-Ainge, but if he did this is a nice deal IMO.

Another one would simply be Grant for Hunter + SAC 2024 FRP followed up by Murray for Ingram + Daniels.

G - Tre Young / VET FA / Kobe Bufkin
G - Dyson Daniels / Bogan Bogdanovic / AJ Griffin
F - Brandon Ingram / Jalen Johnson / AJ Griffin
F - Jerami Grant / Jalen Johnson / Mouhamed Gueye
C - Clint Capella / OO / Bruno Fernando

Yeah, I do that trade with NOP if it’s available and skip the Portland trade honestly. Jalen is a stud.

If it doesn’t work out, at least you burned a year of the pick debt and added Dyson to Jalen and the 2024 first (and Kobe/Griffin/OO) .. Flip Trae then or retool again
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#12 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:10 pm

Jalen Johnson + Capela + Filler

FOR

Towns + Filler

Trade has been discussed to no end. Seems to work for both parties. If Wolves lose to Suns, it will really be discussed.

The trade seems a little incomplete to me. Jalen is a great get for Towns, but Capela isn’t really needed in MN and I am sure Reid wouldn’t like the fact Jalen would be penciled in as Towns backfill replacement and Wolves don’t get a PGOF. So a third team seems in order. One to take Capela or Reid and secure a PGOF while maybe returning something more Hawks want too.

How about this version…

To Pels: Murray + Reid

To Hawks: Ingram + Towns + Wolves Filler

To Wolves: Jalen Johnson + Capela (expiring when Jalen needs to get paid) + Daniels (PGOF) + Picks (not sure who adds here…Hawks? via #10 for #27 swap maybe)

Hawks get a ton of offense infusion. Not sure they have enough defense to hold down the fort.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,968

Post#13 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:40 pm

I shop Trae Young for the highest bidder.

The Lakers and Timberwolves are all in serious contention to acquire Trae Young with a pick and win-now package.

Lakers: Some combination of Rui, Reaves, Vando and Vincent + Rights to 2024 1st [#17], 2029 1st, 2031 1st, Swaps [Have swaps for 2026, 2028, 2030 available]
Timberwolves: Towns/Conely for Bogdanovic/Trae
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Jalen Johnson + Capela + Filler

FOR

Towns + Filler

Trade has been discussed to no end. Seems to work for both parties. If Wolves lose to Suns, it will really be discussed.

The trade seems a little incomplete to me. Jalen is a great get for Towns, but Capela isn’t really needed in MN and I am sure Reid wouldn’t like the fact Jalen would be penciled in as Towns backfill replacement and Wolves don’t get a PGOF. So a third team seems in order. One to take Capela or Reid and secure a PGOF while maybe returning something more Hawks want too.

I still dont think Jalen is needed. I get he would be the preferred target, but don’t think he’s needed.. Atlanta can offer Murray, 10, the Sac first and a 2029 first..

You probably need a third team getting Capela and sending Minnesota something more helpful than two future firsts.. But it seems to work.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#15 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:58 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Jalen Johnson + Capela + Filler

FOR

Towns + Filler

I still dont think Jalen is needed. I get he would be the preferred target, but don’t think he’s needed.. Atlanta can offer Murray, 10, the Sac first and a 2029 first..

You probably need a third team getting Capela and sending Minnesota something more helpful than two future firsts.. But it seems to work.

Wolves pass on that offer. Murray is nice - but not prime need with a re-signed Conley. Yes, Conley is old, but when trading Towns, getting ‘nice’ isn’t ideal.

Hawks would need to find a win-now player like Jalen another team wants to part with for those Hawks picks. Then it becomes, “why pay for Towns and not get Towns.”

If Jalen is off the table for Hawks, I think it becomes find a 3rd team for Murray++ that gets Wolves exactly what they want - or deal is dead.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#16 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 pm

The talent level is pretty close to being as competitive as anyone for Atlanta. Unfortunately the fits are just ugly. Ideally Murray is traded for a BI type and Capela is moved for a floor spacing big. Hunter also likely needs a change of scenery in favor of more of a dog defensively like Thybulle or Caruso.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#17 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 pm

The big decisions from my point of view as whether or not they move forward with Murray or Young. I think the rest of the players better compliment Murray so keeping him creates less other moves that would need to be made.

Keeping Young I feel comes with a need to make many more moves.

Teams I could see being interested in and good landing spots for Trae: San Antonio (discussed a lot here), Brooklyn, Cleveland (if they trade Mitchell), Orlando, New Orleans
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Post#18 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 pm

Colbinii wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:I would gut that thing like a pig this off season.
Trade:

I agree in principal with the whole "Sunk Cost Fallacy".

Nah, Jabari Smith Jr isn't going to be a player Houston trades unless they get a Top 10, MVP-ish level player in return. If they aren't getting that level of player for Jabari Smith Jr, then they aren't moving him.

Yeah I would completely agree with that. I'm not suggesting Trae is in THAT relm, but he would have to be the trade, maybe not to Houston, but in a 3/4 teamer along with assets they get for DJM. It would need to be all assets on deck type thing. If I were Houston, I wouldn't be letting him go either, but I also believe he won't hit his ceiling there too.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,754

Post#19 » by the_process » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm

Lean strongly toward thinking a Trae to San Antonio deal is the optimal path.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,720

Post#20 » by Ell Curry » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:16 pm

dms269 wrote:I doubt the Hawks blow it all up. Ressler cares about money and blowing it all up would kill the revenue the team generates. He much prefers ti be a middling play-in team and stay under the luxury tax.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

I'm not actually sure they'd be any worse if they did something like Trae to Houston for Van Vleet, Eason and multiple firsts.

Dejounte-VanVleet-JalenJohnson-Eason-Okongwu
Bufkin-#11-Bogdanovic-Bey-Capela

and some new firsts to work with, probably even the very promising Brooklyn 2026 pick or Brooklyn 2027 swap.

It's a low ceiling club, but better defensively, athletic frontcourt, good depth and you can hope to turn Capela's expiring and the picks into something. That's probably a 40 win ballclub in the East assuming Jalen keeps improving.
Where's the D?

Return to Trades and Transactions