Instant Reaction: What Do The Hawks Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,345

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Hawks Do This Off-Season? 

Post#61 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:10 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Probably offending all three fan bases but..

Cap space and 18th to Toronto
RJ and 2 future firsts to Atlanta
Murray to Orlando

Toronto gets max cap space and a first out of RJ. They can bring Demar back home or overpay Bridges or…

Atlanta tries RJ next to Trae? While adding two future firsts in hope of a later consolidation trade.

I don’t think RJ is worth cap space and a first. But maybe he is.

i would do that but i doubt FO would. the Canadian angle + great play post trade probably makes the FO value him more than I do
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,196

Post#62 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:47 am

man if you could use a couple months of yoloing on a terrible team into getting completely off the contract and a first? Do it do it do it. Maybe that flash is real, but it probably isn't. Makes the OG for IQ deal make so much more sense.

I find Orlando as the team that should pass there. Banchero is probably ready to be a top 2 option on a good team, but Wagner isn't that guy and Murray isn't enough of an improvement for such a hard scoring team. They need to aim for a better offensive player if they are investing that much capital.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,475

Post#63 » by Chinook » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:42 am

jayjaysee wrote:Does San Antonio work with Atlanta on a deal around Murray/Vassell? Third team or not. Upset those that want Victor in the finals next year, but let it take its time.

Unless the Spurs somehow acquire a better two-guard I don't think there's any world they trade Vassell for Murray. The point of acquiring DJM would be to complete the starting lineup.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,550

Post#64 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 am

Chinook wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Does San Antonio work with Atlanta on a deal around Murray/Vassell? Third team or not. Upset those that want Victor in the finals next year, but let it take its time.

Unless the Spurs somehow acquire a better two-guard I don't think there's any world they trade Vassell for Murray. The point of acquiring DJM would be to complete the starting lineup.

DJM wasn’t going to San Antonio. Whatever amount of future firsts were going to San Antonio. This would be able taking time and getting the most assets/flexibility possible. Trading Vassell and 18 months from now SAS has max cap space and Bailey, and 3-4 extra draft picks? Maybe the cap space doesn’t matter and it’s just used as Presti has used his around SGA the last few years, or maybe it’s Lauri but it’s more about staying bad until Victor and kids can make the team decent… I’d much rather that if I were a SA fan than push Victor to the play in next year..

I know I’m lower on Vassell than most, so I have no idea if he’s worth the same as DJM or worth more than DJM and Atlanta would have to add. That part doesn’t matter as Atlanta has enough draft capital to pay if they needed to, just was to get an actual SG to pair with Trae.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,475

Post#65 » by Chinook » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:02 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Chinook wrote:

DJM wasn’t going to San Antonio. Whatever amount of future firsts were going to San Antonio. This would be able taking time and getting the most assets/flexibility possible. Trading Vassell and 18 months from now SAS has max cap space and Bailey, and 3-4 extra draft picks? Maybe the cap space doesn’t matter and it’s just used as Presti has used his around SGA the last few years, or maybe it’s Lauri but it’s more about staying bad until Victor and kids can make the team decent… I’d much rather that if I were a SA fan than push Victor to the play in next year..

I know I’m lower on Vassell than most, so I have no idea if he’s worth the same as DJM or worth more than DJM and Atlanta would have to add. That part doesn’t matter as Atlanta has enough draft capital to pay if they needed to, just was to get an actual SG to pair with Trae.

This is making it worse, not better. The Spurs have assets already. They shouldn't be looking at a guy making a mostly flat contract for five years at the brink of a rising cap as the guy they need to trade away to make room. Zach Collins or Keldon Johnson would be better targets for that. I'm all in favor of not feeling the need to panic and make a win-now trade for a guy like Young. That doesn't mean the team can actively take a step backward like this, especially for a nebulous "future picks" return.

Also, players are not objects. They don't have a price a team can just meet or not. Murray has been overrated for years, but he's still talented and further along in his progression than Vassell. I don't believe Atlanta could justify sending out picks in the exchange. But I also think they don't have the value to trade for Vassell except perhaps for Devin being part of the return for Young. There's a legit chance the Spurs will have five first-round picks next year. If they're resourceful enough, they'll find ways to spread those picks out a bit more. There's a real aspect of diminishing returns that makes it almost impossible to make a trade like this work. It's just much better for the Spurs to add to Wemby and Vassell.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,550

Post#66 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 pm

Chinook wrote:There's a legit chance the Spurs will have five first-round picks next year. If they're resourceful enough, they'll find ways to spread those picks out a bit more. There's a real aspect of diminishing returns that makes it almost impossible to make a trade like this work. It's just much better for the Spurs to add to Wemby and Vassell.

This is a very nice painting of the asset situation in SAS. No one would pretend they are in a bad situation.. But saying “five first round picks next year” is nice.

Realistically, they own 5 extra firsts and 3 swaps. And one of those firsts (Charlotte) will very likely not convey right?

It’s a really great situation considering they have Victor and there’s a strong chance they have 3 lottery picks in what’s expected to be a great draft. And that’s what I would be focusing on...

But they don’t have some huge war chest that causes diminishing returns like Boston had. Their only unprotected picks are owned by Atlanta, who has the ability to retool this summer using Murray and or 4 firsts.. Atlanta has control over Jalen, Trae, Murray, OO, and Hunter over the life of the pick debt. So they could choose to do nothing at all and just live as a 38-44 win bad fitting team until the pick debt is over.. It’s not like Brooklyn who is missing the first/second best player or distant unprotected firsts with high variance..

And SAS don’t really have a core around Victor.. They’re looking to add in this draft and hoping Sochan improves on his basketball intelligence and skill... Trading Vassell likely brings in multiple unprotected firsts and resets the actual rookie clocks around Victor.

I said it would be hated by everyone. But it’s what I would do.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,632

Post#67 » by NYG » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 am

Which player is as good as Murray or better that could be had in a Murray deal? It can't be anyone on an expiring contract like Ingram.
NYG
RealGM

Post#68 » by NYG » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:57 am

What about if Cleveland rebuilds around Garland/Mobley if Mitchell asks out...

Atlanta Hawks get:
Jarrett Allen
Cam Johnson

Brooklyn Nets get:
Donovan Mitchell

Cleveland Cavaliers get:
Cam Thomas
Clint Capela
Jalen Hood-Schifino
Gabe Vincent
Jarred Vanderbilt
Lakers Picks
Nets Picks

Los Angeles Lakers get:
Dejounte Murray
NYG
RealGM

Post#69 » by NYG » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:28 pm

I could see Atlanta bringing back for Trae and Murray if there isn't a deal that makes them better in 2024-25 out there.

Return to Trades and Transactions