Pels/Hawks/Wolves Retool

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,794

Pels/Hawks/Wolves Retool 

Post#1 » by jredsaz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 pm

Pelicans receive Karl Anthony Towns
Hawks receive Brandon Ingram, 24 1st LAL, 25 1st MIL
Timberwolves receive Dejounte Murray, Clint Capella

KAT might be the best center to pair with Zion in the NBA. Their roster becomes balanced and if Zion continues to mature on and off the court, Pels should be a championship contender.

Hawks retool and give Trey a more complimentary running mate in Ingram. They add draft capital to hedge against the trade not materially impacting the on the court product in ATL.

Much like the Pels, the Wolves better balance their roster around their young star. They also retain their massive size with Capella coming off the bench (and a possible expiring salary for a trade). Likely would be a second apron team for 24/25.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Re: Pels/Hawks/Wolves Retool 

Post#2 » by Euphonetiks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:39 pm

Pels only have the Bucks ‘25 1st if it’s top 4, otherwise it goes to the Knicks. We own the ‘27 Bucks 1st, but I am not sure we would give up both the ‘25 Lakers and ‘27 Bucks picks for KAT considering his contract and the number of games missed over the last 5 years. We likely would need to save the Bucks pick to help minimize the tax burden.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#3 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:48 pm

Wolves would MUCH rather deal Towns to Hawks - remove Pels altogether. Trading Towns to a Western playoff contender is either a quick NO or requires a sizable tax (overpay) for convincing the Wolves to do just that.
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#4 » by jredsaz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:Pels only have the Bucks ‘25 1st if it’s top 4, otherwise it goes to the Knicks. We own the ‘27 Bucks 1st, but I am not sure we would give up both the ‘25 Lakers and ‘27 Bucks picks for KAT considering his contract and the number of games missed over the last 5 years. We likely would need to save the Bucks pick to help minimize the tax burden.

The Lakers pick is this year and currently 18th and I find it hard to believe that the Bucks pick (25 or 27) is a no go to get KAT. Tax burden is a part of trying to win a championship. If they aren’t interested in that then, you’re right, they shouldn’t trade for KAT lol
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#5 » by jredsaz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Wolves would MUCH rather deal Towns to Hawks - remove Pels altogether. Trading Towns to a Western playoff contender is either a quick NO or requires a sizable tax (overpay) for convincing the Wolves to do just that.

That’s fair. How many firsts would you require?
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by Euphonetiks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 pm

jredsaz wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:Pels only have the Bucks ‘25 1st if it’s top 4, otherwise it goes to the Knicks. We own the ‘27 Bucks 1st, but I am not sure we would give up both the ‘25 Lakers and ‘27 Bucks picks for KAT considering his contract and the number of games missed over the last 5 years. We likely would need to save the Bucks pick to help minimize the tax burden.

The Lakers pick is this year and currently 18th and I find it hard to believe that the Bucks pick (25 or 27) is a no go to get KAT. Tax burden is a part of trying to win a championship. If they aren’t interested in that then, you’re right, they shouldn’t trade for KAT lol

We have the option of deferring the Lakers pick to next year which reports have already said we will especially since the Lakers made the playoffs.

The Wolves would only be trading KAT because of the tax burden. His future salary and games missed comes into play when teams evaluate exactly what they would give up for him. The ‘27 Bucks unprotected could be a very valuable asset.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,128

Post#7 » by Domejandro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:10 pm

Minnesota would pretty clearly cut out the Atlanta Hawks here, Dejounte Murray does not have anywhere near that kind of value.

Giving the Pelicans Karl-Anthony Towns would be pretty terrifying and would make Minnesota worse (significantly against Denver). If Brandon Ingram was locked up for longer, it would be interesting with the 2027 Milwaukee pick added, but it is kind of scary to make that trade with Ingram being a flight risk.
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#8 » by jredsaz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

We have the option of deferring the Lakers pick to next year which reports have already said we will especially since the Lakers made the playoffs.

The Wolves would only be trading KAT because of the tax burden. His future salary and games missed comes into play when teams evaluate exactly what they would give up for him. The ‘27 Bucks unprotected could be a very valuable asset.

KAT makes the Pels a top three favorite to win a championship. I’m not buying your reasoning there.
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#9 » by jredsaz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 pm

Domejandro wrote:Minnesota would pretty clearly cut out the Atlanta Hawks here, Dejounte Murray does not have anywhere near that kind of value.

The other wolves fan said they would cut out the Pels. lol. Not sure how there is a significant difference between KAT, Ingram and Murray on the court. I think the value differences mostly come from contracts and money although I do believe KAT is the most valuable of the three and I think that’s reflected in the trade.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#10 » by Domejandro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 pm

jredsaz wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Minnesota would pretty clearly cut out the Atlanta Hawks here, Dejounte Murray does not have anywhere near that kind of value.

The other wolves fan said they would cut out the Pels. lol. Not sure how there is a significant difference between KAT, Ingram and Murray on the court. I think the value differences mostly come from contracts and money although I do believe KAT is the most valuable of the three and I think that’s reflected in the trade.

The on-the-court impact gap between Karl-Anthony Towns and Brandon Ingram/Dejounte Murray is very substantial.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,004

Post#11 » by wolves_89 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm

This should be a pretty easy no for the Wolves. I wouldn't trade KAT for Murray and doubt Capela has any value to Minnesota. I also don't like the Wolves helping a potential conference rival get better while their own roster gets worse.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by Euphonetiks » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 am

jredsaz wrote:KAT makes the Pels a top three favorite to win a championship. I’m not buying your reasoning there.

What?!? Add KAT and takeaway Ingram, you think we’d be the favorite after Boston and Denver?

That’s wild. I don’t think many would agree with that characterization.
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#13 » by jredsaz » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 am

Domejandro wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

The on-the-court impact gap between Karl-Anthony Towns and Brandon Ingram/Dejounte Murray is very substantial.

This year there really wasn’t much of an on court difference. What is so substantial in your opinion? Plus KAT will make twice as much as Murray starting in 24/25.
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#14 » by jredsaz » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 am

Euphonetiks wrote:
jredsaz wrote:KAT makes the Pels a top three favorite to win a championship. I’m not buying your reasoning there.

What?!? Add KAT and takeaway Ingram, you think we’d be the favorite after Boston and Denver?

That’s wild. I don’t think many would agree with that characterization.

KAT/Zion/Murphy/Jones/McCollum/Nance/Daniels/Hawkins/Alvarado is way scarier than their current roster speaking as a Suns fan.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,411

Post#15 » by gottamakeit » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 am

cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#16 » by schaffy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 am

jredsaz wrote:

He said they'd rather cut out the pelicans to not keep kat in the west. Never said the value was good/right

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#17 » by Domejandro » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 am

gottamakeit wrote:Thoughts?
https://imgur.com/xIRLKfH

Can't imagine a world where the Cleveland Cavaliers consider that, for what it is worth.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,200

Post#18 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm

Cavs easily say no. Doubt you'd get either Mobley or Garland let alone both for Towns. I can't see Mitchell sticking around with what's left as well. Minnesota becomes a much better team after this and I could really see Ant and Garland flourishing and Mobley works with Gobert. If The Knicks miss out on Mitchell I could see them going after Towns using Randle plus
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,411

Post#19 » by gottamakeit » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Cavs easily say no. Doubt you'd get either Mobley or Garland let alone both for Towns. I can't see Mitchell sticking around with what's left as well. Minnesota becomes a much better team after this and I could really see Ant and Garland flourishing and Mobley works with Gobert. If The Knicks miss out on Mitchell I could see them going after Towns using Randle plus

I'm not too high on Garland. If the Cavs can get D Mitchell extended and bought in, they should continue to build around him rather than Garland. I think Towns would look good next to him and G. Allen.

Mobley might have too much value to be included in this trade, but i wanted to keep the trade proposal simple with just 2 teams. Would the Cavs and Wolves do a 1 for 1 swap of Garland for Towns?
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#20 » by schaffy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:

The Cavs will never do it so it doesn't really matter, but I don't know that I'd like seeing Mobley and Gobert offensively. Defensively, sure they'd be a nightmare to go against. But its not easy to have 2 guys who each take between 80-95% of their shots within 10 feet, and still trying to leave some space for Ant to get downhill attacking. Maybe Mobley takes more 3s than he ever has and you hope the %s stay the same?

Return to Trades and Transactions